Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:52   #706
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I came back from Goa and took the Banda - Danoli - Amboli road. The road is good to travel except a few places where it is really bad, but mostly ok. Advice to travel on this road in broad daylight, not that I know of any incidents but its a lonely road, may not get quick help. The best part about this was that there is no checkpost here I was worried as I had 4 bottles of whisky and didnt want to loose any of them
I will second Figopian on this. No Check Post...few bad patches but completely tolerable.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:59   #707

I came back from Goa to Pune the day before (1st jan 2012) and took the
Sawantwadi-Nipani Road via the Amboli-ajra and Ajra-nipani link roads.

The roads are pretty decent. I could manage a near constant 90-100 kmph excepting a few bad patches and the ghats.

On NH4, there are 3 toll booths between Nipani and Pune. I paid the toll in lumpsum at the first toll booth and saved some time at the later tolls.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:25   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
I will second Figopian on this. No Check Post...few bad patches but completely tolerable.
Well, I have a very different take on this. Just returned on the 1st from Goa.

We took the Dhanoli-Banda route while going on the 23rd of December 2011. Although in patches, but the route was so bad that we were constrained to take the Sawantwadi route while returning. The potholes (read craters) now are so huge that only Off-roaders can boast of a comfortable ride. I'm talking about craters that were sharp edged and at least a foot deep throughout at different places. I had to negotiate them at 0-1 kmph speed to avoid getting bottomed out. The time taken via Sawantwadi was equal (if not lesser) to the time taken via Dhanoli-Banda and I found the roads tolerable too with minimal traffic.

And yes, my OHC developed a steering column noise issue due to that stretch of road which cost me Rs3500/- to get resolved after returning.

I know that different people will have different perceptions of that road, but my experience was horrible to say the least and I don't think I will ever take that route again unless I'm completely assured that it is repaired.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:30   #709
Max
BHPian

tomorrow, i am going to goa via mumbai > pune express highway > kholapur > Nipani ajra link road > amboli > savantwadi > colongute. will update with more details and pics.
Old 29th January 2012, 14:50   #710
BHPian

I am trying to choose the route from Kolhapur to Goa as well. Searched this and the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-pune-goa.html

(Mods, good idea to merge above thread with this?)

At a high level I think there is a consensus on going via Sawantwadi as against going via Belgaum keeping aside the finer variations of each of these route.

I was actually wondering wondering whether the Belgaum route would be better, merely from the fact that it's the national highway all the way through. But seems the route has bad stretches, loneliness in some patches (security concern) and mining truck dust as concerns.

Red_Revver has taken both routes very recently. So I think this conclusion should hold good.

Anyone who traveled recently wants to comment afresh?
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:17   #711
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delayed reply but have had internet issues since my return.
Returned to Goa on the 21st. January using the usual Expressway, Kolhapur, Sankeshwar, Gadhinglaj, Ajra, Amboli, Dhanoli, Banda, Goa. All OK upto Amboli but after that I have to say that the Dhanoli - Banda section seems to have deteriorated considerably since my last crossing in early December. This is probably due to the increased amount of truck traffic. The number and size of the potholes has increased. Anyway, we had a lot of breakable items in the car and I was taking it slow. It took 45 minutes to cross this section and I don't think I will use it again in a hurry .
(Ashish Pallod - please note). The road from Banda to the Goa border is still rubbish.
Tried the Minerva restaurant just after Ajra for lunch. It was O.K. Nothing to rave about. Toilets were - gents - clean; ladies - filthy. My wife was not impressed.
I would rather stop at Anand in Sawantwadi.

Hope the above info is useful to future travellers on this trail.

Regards,
SS
Old 4th February 2012, 15:12   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san
Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delayed reply but have had internet issues since my return.
Returned to Goa on the 21st. January using the usual Expressway, Kolhapur, Sankeshwar, Gadhinglaj, Ajra, Amboli, Dhanoli, Banda, Goa. All OK upto Amboli but after that I have to say that the Dhanoli - Banda section seems to have deteriorated considerably since my last crossing in early December. This is probably due to the increased amount of truck traffic. The number and size of the potholes has increased. Anyway, we had a lot of breakable items in the car and I was taking it slow. It took 45 minutes to cross this section and I don't think I will use it again in a hurry .
(Ashish Pallod - please note). The road from Banda to the Goa border is still rubbish.
Tried the Minerva restaurant just after Ajra for lunch. It was O.K. Nothing to rave about. Toilets were - gents - clean; ladies - filthy. My wife was not impressed.
I would rather stop at Anand in Sawantwadi.

Hope the above info is useful to future travellers on this trail.

Regards,
SS
Good to know @ Minerva. If in sawant wadi, kamat would be better stop, but veg only.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:29   #713
BHPian

note that just before panaji - some 10-15km- there is a small bridge with signs of 40 as speed limit with no overtaking rule and there is traffic police van (with some lady officer) at other end of bridge with speed gun.
This place is actually just after good stretch of road and so one would normally hit 50 speed over the bridge.
They stop almost all cars who dont know about this and charge 300rs officially.
similarly the main bridge is panajim also has this rule. however there was just a traffic police (without speed gun) at the end of bridge.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:44   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
note that just before panaji - some 10-15km- there is a small bridge with signs of 40 as speed limit with no overtaking rule and there is traffic police van (with some lady officer) at other end of bridge with speed gun.
This place is actually just after good stretch of road and so one would normally hit 50 speed over the bridge.
They stop almost all cars who dont know about this and charge 300rs officially.
similarly the main bridge is panajim also has this rule. however there was just a traffic police (without speed gun) at the end of bridge.
Most of the bridges in goa on the NH route have a speed limit of 40 kmpl, also overtaking is prohibited on these bridges. The bridge chetan mentioned is the Colvale bridge, just before the Mapusa city bypass road.

Also take a note that while entering Panaji city via the twin mandovi bridges, avoid taking the bridge for the heavy vehicles (left hand side one). You will notice that the local vehicles (2 and 4 wheelers) extensively use the "light vehicles bridge" which is way smoother and devoid of any heavy vehicle traffic. This way you also avoid running into the traffic police, who stop outstation vehicles for no apparent reason.
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:09   #715
BHPian

Guys,

I will be driving Mum-Goa on 28thFeb via NH4 route. Wanted to check a couple of things from anyone who has travelled recently.
1) The best bet in terms of roads connecting NH4 and NH17. I'm a bit nervous after reading Dr.Sav's account
2) Good places to stop for snacks/meals. Going with foodies, so pls recommend some nice places

help

Cheers!
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:26   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter_ View Post
Guys,

I will be driving Mum-Goa on 28thFeb via NH4 route. Wanted to check a couple of things from anyone who has travelled recently.
1) The best bet in terms of roads connecting NH4 and NH17. I'm a bit nervous after reading Dr.Sav's account
2) Good places to stop for snacks/meals. Going with foodies, so pls recommend some nice places

help

Cheers!
You could go via the NH17 and return via the NH4.That way you wouldnt be bored of driving the same roads.Both routes would take you around 9-11 hours depending on the time you enter Mumbai and depending on where you are in Mumbai.

ON NH17,there are plenty of restaurants enroute.You would never stay hungry.There is a Vithal Kamat at Mahad,which is good.

On NH4,eating options are less as compared to the NH17.The only places to stop are Sai International and a couple of restaurants next to them before Kolhapur while going from BOM,apart from that there are a couple of restaurants on the Tawandi Ghat after Kolhapur.There is also the Mcdie & CCD after you exit Kolhapur town.

Via the NH4,take the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim route.Route is in decent shape.Do not take the NH4A(belgaum-ponda)route.You could also take the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route but this would add up close to an extra 60kms.

The other option albeit via some bad roads is the one via Kolhapur-Phondaghat-Phonda-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi.This is via the Radhanagari Bison sanctuary.If you are lucky you would be able to spot some bisons.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:59   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could go via the NH17 and return via the NH4.That way you wouldnt be bored of driving the same roads.Both routes would take you around 9-11 hours depending on the time you enter Mumbai and depending on where you are in Mumbai.

ON NH17,there are plenty of restaurants enroute.You would never stay hungry.There is a Vithal Kamat at Mahad,which is good.

On NH4,eating options are less as compared to the NH17.The only places to stop are Sai International and a couple of restaurants next to them before Kolhapur while going from BOM,apart from that there are a couple of restaurants on the Tawandi Ghat after Kolhapur.There is also the Mcdie & CCD after you exit Kolhapur town.

Via the NH4,take the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim route.Route is in decent shape.Do not take the NH4A(belgaum-ponda)route.You could also take the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route but this would add up close to an extra 60kms.

The other option albeit via some bad roads is the one via Kolhapur-Phondaghat-Phonda-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi.This is via the Radhanagari Bison sanctuary.If you are lucky you would be able to spot some bisons.
Thanks ranjitp1.

I will take the NH4 (Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim) route as you have suggested. This also seems to be the most popular route. Hope the Dhanoli-Banda stretch (as mentioned by Dr.Sav's post recently) doesnt come in this route. Cannot seem to find Dhanoli - Banda on google maps!

Also, for the ones who have travelled frequently on this route (Mum-Pune-Kolhapur-Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim), can you tell me if i leave by 5am from Mumbai at what place on the route would i be by around 1pm? And any lunch options if possible.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:58   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, for the ones who have travelled frequently on this route (Mum-Pune-Kolhapur-Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim), can you tell me if i leave by 5am from Mumbai at what place on the route would i be by around 1pm? And any lunch options if possible.
Banda is the border and rOads at the border are usually bad but nothing to worry.dhanoli is a different route.you would be around kolhapur with a 5am departure.you could either stop at sai intl before kolhapur or you could continue past kolhapur and stop at the restaurants at tawandi ghat before you turn for amboli.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:22   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and any lunch options if possible.
As suggested by ranjitp1, Sai International before Kolhapur and the 2-3 restaurants just after Tawandi ghat are 2 lunch options for you. However, the condition of the rest rooms at the latter are so-so, to put it politely, but the rest rooms at Sai International are very clean.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd February 2012 at 17:39.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:02   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
As suggested by ranjitp1, Sai International before Kolhapur and the 2-3 restaurants just after Tawandi ghat are 2 lunch options for you. However, the condition of the rest rooms at the latter are so-so, to put it politely, but the rest rooms at Sai International are very clean.

Cheers,
Vikram
If you really want to have good food and nice restaurants, I think a little detour inside Kolhapur is worth it. You get inside Kolhapur and till the central ST stand, there is a 4 lane concrete road and a plenty restaurants around. Then you can again take the exit from Kawala naka -> Shivaji University road which is again a 4 lane concrete road, no hassles at all.
Figopian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed