Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 05:33   #961
BHPian

I did the chorla ghat route in august. (last week may be) Exactly 4.5 km was bad, out of which 1 km was, well you can say no road at all. Apart from this the road was quite good and there was no traffic what so ever. I did it in a Santro.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:47   #962
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Well here there is an option of not entering Sawantwadi. As soon as you get down the ghat after a few km there is left turn which will take you straight to Banda. I had gone a few months back and they were relaying the road, must be surely done by now. Saves a lot of time. Don't remember the exact turn (there is no board there), will post those details in sometime
@swanilup do you have latest update/detail on this road? would be interesting to try it out!
Old 16th December 2012, 15:38   #963
BHPian

Thanks deutscheafrikar for your tips. Any idea how I can contact Sahir - his vcard on the site has an email ID which is not working.
Old 16th December 2012, 16:40   #964
Senior - BHPian

Tarun
Looks like he hasn't been online since the last 30 days. I've sent him a message so hopefully he will get it and we'll get an answer to the Ghat condition
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
Thanks deutscheafrikar for your tips. Any idea how I can contact Sahir - his vcard on the site has an email ID which is not working.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 16th December 2012 at 16:44.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 17:45   #965
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I did the pune-goa route via kohlapur/vaibhavwadi few days back on my onward hourney and return was through standard amboli ghat route and nipani. As this thread had a question on ghat section latest status so thought to update. I have posted the map for the ghat route only(both ways) as the remaining state highway route is well known and standard.

Thanks to @HVK sir for helping me with the correct route.

pune-kohlapur-sawantwadi through kankarli and mumbai-goa highway
http://www.distancesfrom.com/map-fro...ry/566626.aspx

I took this route while going and took me close to 8 hours from pune to sawantwadi starting 7 AM on a working day from Pune. This route is going through repairs al throughout starting kohlapur and will be ok in a month's time when all patches are ready. For now the traffic is terribly slow at times as its a single lane, moderate condition and interim patch work going on with sharp stones laid down that cab easily sneak in your tyres. Car shockers had a good time up/down but Vento could manage well because of the built type. I dont think a wise route for next two weeks atleast till they finish all repairs.

Goa-Sawantwadi-Kohlapur-Pune via Nipani. ajra, amboli
http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...8MY0g&t=h&z=12

I was so bugged up by the hitting I got in vaibhavwadi ghat route that had to look for an alternative return route to cross the ghats back to kohlapur. With timely advice from HVK sir, I leveraged the standard sawantwadi-amboli ghat route and except for few kilometeres bad potholes near nipani just few kms before toucing the banglore highway, all was super smooth. I took 6 hours and 15 minutes from sawantwadi to pune. Nice flat drive and recommended for people travelling with families that may have health issues in going through curves within ghat sections. I would also recommend this route for people who are more comfortable and fast in flat roads via-a-vis ghats as its much safer for them in all ways.

I have done this route early this year and everytime has proved to be the fastest and most smooth. I did try the veranda ghat route before monsoon this year and that was also a nice scenic fast route(reasonably flat) to reach mumbai-goa highway but at that time the final destination was somewhere else.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Nikesh
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 20:32   #966
BHPian

Hi All,

What is the current state of NH17 (NH66) from Pen to Goa? I am on my way back to Chennai this weekend, and thinking of taking NH 17 from Mumbai. Plan is to leave early from Mumbai on Saturday on NH17 upto Sawantwadi, and from there go to Belgaum, halting at Belgaum. Then do a Belgaum-Chennai on Sunday.
Is this doable? What would be the approximate time for mumbai - belgaum in this route? My reason for taking NH17 is for driving pleasure and I am ok driving on the Ghats :-)

thanks
Siva
Old 16th December 2012, 20:39   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Tarun
Looks like he hasn't been online since the last 30 days. I've sent him a message so hopefully he will get it and we'll get an answer to the Ghat condition
Cheers
Hi Mates, sorry have been offline since a while. Was exploring some roads ( streets ) in Thailand . Its been a long time since I have done the whole Tilari route, But Just go for it, Explore the unexplored !!!!
Old 17th December 2012, 04:20   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post

@swanilup do you have latest update/detail on this road? would be interesting to try it out!
Sorry buddy tried to get the information, but nobody I know has done this in the past 5 months. When I was down there, I took the risk and went, the road was not good, but I reached Banda before the guys who took the sawantwadi route.

In terms of the shortest route from Belgaum to Mapusa it would be Tilary ghat.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:03   #969
BHPian

Need help on good restaurants onwards from Belgaum to Mumbai.

Planning for a trip to mumbai this weekend.

what is the total toll from Belgaum to Mumbai?
Old 19th December 2012, 22:38   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help on good restaurants onwards from Belgaum to Mumbai.

Planning for a trip to mumbai this weekend.

A couple of restaurants on the Tawandi Ghat.Mcdie & CCD at Kolhapur.Sai International past Kolhapur.CCD and Mcdie at Khed Sivapur.Plenty of restaurants on the Pune bypass and on the MPEW.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:51   #971
BHPian

Came back yesterday from Goa. On my way there on Sunday took the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajara route. Was good, except that I had to drive through Gadhinglaj, which was actually not a problem at all.

On the way back, jut thought I would try the Ajara-Uttur-Nipani route. Ajara-Uttur was great. Uttur-Nipani was horrible. Would suggest that this route be avoided.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:51   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
A couple of restaurants on the Tawandi Ghat.Mcdie & CCD at Kolhapur.Sai International past Kolhapur.CCD and Mcdie at Khed Sivapur.Plenty of restaurants on the Pune bypass and on the MPEW.
thanks ranjitp1
I will keep note of these locations
Old 21st December 2012, 09:27   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

diogo
I think it would be in the region of 425/- to 450/- including the expressway.
Please avoid the routes that people don't use regularly, and that includes the Danoli - banda shortcut and the Tilari ghat. The time you may save is not worth it, if you're stuck on a lonely road.
Drive safe and have a good holiday
Cheera

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 21st December 2012 at 09:34.
Old 25th December 2012, 18:05   #974
BHPian

Just did Sanquelim - Belgaum (via Tilari Ghat) and Belgaum - Sanquelim (via Chorla) on Christmas Day, and here's my report:
1. Sanquelim - Dodamarg - Tilari Ghat - Belgaum was 110 Km. The route joins the Sawantwadi highway at Phatne Phata (about 25 km from Belgaum). The route is reasonably good / average except for the 7 km Tilari Ghat section which is absolutely horrid. I saw a road roller trying to make repairs but I doubt whether this section will be ready in a hurry.
2. Belgaum - Jamboti -Kanakumbi - Chorla - Sanquelim. To get on to this route, you need to travel 7 km south of Belgaum on the Khanapur road and take a right turn at Peeranwadi. Absolutely brilliant route, recently laid, roads smooth as butter (at least till Chorla), and distance to Sanquelim only 85 km! Only a small 2 km section is currently under repair but that's no big deal - I did it easily despite the low GC of my Hyundai Sonata Gold. As an added bonus, the route is very scenic: mountains, valleys and forests - would recommend it as the best route to North Goa from Karnataka.
tarunp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 12:53   #975
BHPian

(Belgaum - Jamboti -Kanakumbi - Chorla - Sanquelim. To get on to this route, you need to travel 7 km south of Belgaum on the Khanapur road and take a right turn at Peeranwadi. Absolutely brilliant route, recently laid, roads smooth as butter (at least till Chorla), and distance to Sanquelim only 85 km! Only a small 2 km section is currently under repair but that's no big deal - I did it easily despite the low GC of my Hyundai Sonata Gold. As an added bonus, the route is very scenic: mountains, valleys and forests - would recommend it as the best route to North Goa from Karnataka.)
Dear Tarun,
Many thanks for this latest update. Would you recommend this route for travelling further down South to Varca via Ponda and Margao.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks