Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 00:35   #1201
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by udiboy View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Morjim, North Goa on the night of 22nd November. Kindly suggest which road should I take? I plan to stay on NH4 till dawn, so will leave Mumbai by midnight. Looking at the recent replies on this thread, it is amply clear that most of the fellow bhpians are suggesting to take the route via Chorla, but I guess this route is a clear choice if one is going to South Goa (I might be completely wrong here and need to be educated).

On google maps, the place (marabelo beach resorts, morjim) is 40 kms from sawantwadi. My question then is should I still go till Belgaum and enter via Chorla or is crossing Amboli Ghat not such a problem after all?
To go to Morjim, Its best to go via Amboli / Savantwadi. If you take Chorla Ghat, you will have to come back from Mapusa .
Old 19th November 2013, 07:02   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
2. Pune - Satara :: NH4 condition has detiorated to say the least. Too many patch works and potholes every few hundred meters. There are too many diversions with minimal signages. Night driving may be a hazard here.
Since I plan to leave Pune early in the morning, it would be useful to know more. Which are the bad parts - after Khambatki ghat/Mahabaleshwar right turn, or even before that?
Old 19th November 2013, 08:03   #1203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Since I plan to leave Pune early in the morning, it would be useful to know more. Which are the bad parts - after Khambatki ghat/Mahabaleshwar right turn, or even before that?
I think the places where it has really gone bad is Satara bypass where you wont go. A few diversions before Khambatki, but it still manageable.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:17   #1204
Senior - BHPian

I will, going to Goa. The idea is to leave early, but late enough to have daylight in the bad parts. 5 am departure should work then.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:21   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will, going to Goa. The idea is to leave early, but late enough to have daylight in the bad parts. 5 am departure should work then.
Sorry I was thinking in context of Mahabaleshwar. Hence my comment that you may not hot Satara bypass.

In case of Goa, yes, Satara bypass is quite pathetic.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:33   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
I travelled from Pune to Goa just after Diwali. The roads are rough before and after Satara - but nothing to worry about. There are no major craters or anything like that - but there are lots of diversions where you would need to slow down

Have a good trip
Old 19th November 2013, 20:55   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. I am leaving on Dec 10th, one hopes for some improvement by then. But I will plan to get to that part after sunrise.
Old 20th November 2013, 15:53   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am planning to do Belgaum - Goa trip next month. How safe is the Belgaum -Chorla route for a couple travelling with a baby on board?
This is no problem at all. I think this is the best route to Goa. Keep google maps handy for exact directions after Sanquelim
Old 21st November 2013, 11:21   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
To go to Morjim, Its best to go via Amboli / Savantwadi. If you take Chorla Ghat, you will have to come back from Mapusa .
And would you suggest I can drive from Nipani to Goa in the night? Specifically is the Amboli Ghat, Sawantwadi route doable at night? I have never driven on this route before, but have a GPS for company (although I always recheck before taking the route that the a GPS suggests, it can give erratic routes at times)
Old 21st November 2013, 13:45   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
And would you suggest I can drive from Nipani to Goa in the night? Specifically is the Amboli Ghat, Sawantwadi route doable at night? I have never driven on this route before, but have a GPS for company (although I always recheck before taking the route that the a GPS suggests, it can give erratic routes at times)
Udiboy,

You were saying you'll leave Mumbai at midnight as per your earlier post. So basically your timelines are something like:-

00.00 Mumbai- 02.00 Pune Bypass
02.00 Pune Bypass - 06.00 Kolhapur
06.00 Kolhapur - 06.20 Nipani turnoff for Amboli.

Nipani to Amboli is like driving through a two lane State highway with uneven road surface, where you would be cruising at 60-70 and lots of sharp curves with vision blocked by trees. So I don't think there's much of a night time drive involved here. By the time you hit Amboli ghat, there would be sufficient daylight. I drove back via Sawantwadi - Amboli- Nipani, to Pune last weekend. Road from Nipani to beginning of Amboli ghat is decent with some bad patches around Ajra. Amboli ghat has lots of bad patches to begin with, and a few minor ones till you get off the ghat. After that, road is fine all the way till you enter Goa. Happy driving!

Cheers!
Varun

Last edited by misguidedmisile : 21st November 2013 at 13:46. Reason: Spell mistake correction
misguidedmisile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:21   #1211
BHPian

I too am planning a trip to goa just after the new year. There would be 1 car and 2 bikes in which we would be going.
We, too, plan to leave at night (around 8-9 PM tentetively). Going by the previous post, if I leave by 9PM from mumbai, I should be reaching Nippani by 4. Is driving in the nippani-amboli-sawantwadi sector safe at that time of the night given the condition of the road. Is there anything to worry about (for the bikers specifically)?
And given the scenario, would the gandhinglaj - amboli route be better or the nippani-amboli route? And why? Thanx
Old 21st November 2013, 16:23   #1212
BHPian

Hi,

I am leaving tomorrow for Goa (yet again), I am going to Madgaon, so planning to take the Khanapur route via Belgaum - Peeranwadi Cross.

Any updates on current road conditions on this route?

Cheers!
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:59   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi,

I am leaving tomorrow for Goa (yet again), I am going to Madgaon, so planning to take the Khanapur route via Belgaum - Peeranwadi Cross.

Any updates on current road conditions on this route?

Cheers!
I hope I am not too late with this reply

I would still recommend the Chorla ghat route even if you are going to Madgaon. I travelled this immediately after Diwali and the road is fabulous upto Chorla, though it does deteriorate a bit in the Goa section. You would need to take a left turn a few kms after Sanquelim at Banastarim Junction and proceed via Ponda to Madgaon. Although I had to go to Panjim, a friend of mine took the same route to go to Madgaon and he was quite happy with it and travelled both ways on the same route. The Khanapur route is notoriously always bad and I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Have a good trip !

Last edited by suniladhiya : 22nd November 2013 at 17:00.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:19   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
I too am planning a trip to goa just after the new year. There would be 1 car and 2 bikes in which we would be going.
We, too, plan to leave at night (around 8-9 PM tentetively). Going by the previous post, if I leave by 9PM from mumbai, I should be reaching Nippani by 4. Is driving in the nippani-amboli-sawantwadi sector safe at that time of the night given the condition of the road. Is there anything to worry about (for the bikers specifically)?
And given the scenario, would the gandhinglaj - amboli route be better or the nippani-amboli route? And why? Thanx
Dear Bhpians - any thoughts on the question from poker face - I too have the same doubt : should i do nippani - amboli or gandhinglaj-amboli. I am starting in 4 hours time
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:38   #1215
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Bhpians - any thoughts on the question from poker face - I too have the same doubt : should i do nippani - amboli or gandhinglaj-amboli. I am starting in 4 hours time
I would recommend nipani -> sankeshwar -> gadhinglaj -> ajra -> amboli. It has always been a good road, the road via uttur had some bad patches. Time wise it wouldn't affect you much.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks