Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 09:34   #1351
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Thank you so much Trojan, ABS9, Ampere and Simhi.
I am leaving on Sunday. Will post back on the experiences!!
Old 18th April 2014, 14:10   #1352
BHPian

Apologies for the back to back post but I just got the first time trip jitters!!

Since this will be the first time I will be driving to Goa, can someone confirm if this is the best route?

Pune -> Kolhapur -> Belgaum -> Jamboti -> Sanquelim -> Ponda -> Borda -> Margao -> Varca

Also, any tips along the route in terms of turnoffs / easy to miss exits etc would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Old 18th April 2014, 14:52   #1353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Also, any tips along the route in terms of turnoffs / easy to miss exits etc would be appreciated.
- Its a straight forward route.
- Time it right to beat the Pune-Kolhapur traffic.
- Sai International is the ideal for you to break for breakfast. Its about 30km before the Kolhapur bypass starts.
- If you don't want to break at Sai, then the Kolhapur bypass has Mac Donald's as well.
- After the Kolhapur bypass ends, you get the Konduskar petrol bunk. If you want, you can use this bunk to fill up the tank.
- Now Where to exit NH4 at Belgaum?
- First option, turn off at Cantt area.
- If you miss it, ask any one for Hotel Sankam.
- Go along that road. It's the road to Jambotti/Chorla.
- Google maps around here are very good. Make sure you ARE on the Jambotti road.
- We do have a TL, where the member got lost in Belgaum not to end up on the Jambotti road!
- Ref : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-trip-goa.html

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2014 at 15:00.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 16:22   #1354
BHPian

Hello Guys,
I am planning to travel from Pune to Goa in the first week of May. I know its not a great time for Goa, but will be still going there. I am planning to take this route:

Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Gandhinglaj - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Mapusa - Goa.

How is the condition of the roads? I will be travelling on May 1st early morning in my Ford Classic.
BTW is there anyone else planning for Pune - Goa in that week

Thanks @ampere for linking me to this thread. Somehow it didn't show up in my search results.

Regards,
Harikrishnan
Old 18th April 2014, 16:28   #1355
Senior - BHPian

l visited the North Goa, specially the Calangute / Candolim parts. I took the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra route. While driving there we started on Friday evening 7:30 and reached Kolhapur by 3:00 am. We stayed at Rajat Executive at Tararani Chowk.It's a budget hotel with clean rooms, free breakfast and ample parking.
Left at 11:30am from the hotel and reached Gadhinglaj. Halted at a relative's place till 3:30 pm and then started for Goa. Reached the destination at around 8pm after going through the maze of Mapusa and other roads.
en the return leg we started at 10:15 am, refuelled at Mapusa and drove on the same route back. After a lunch halt at hotel Sangam at Karad, two refuelling stops, a late evening snacks stop later, we reached home by 10:45pm. Overall 12 hours on the road with about 10+ hrs of driving.
Old 18th April 2014, 19:20   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Apologies for the back to back post but I just got the first time trip jitters!!

Since this will be the first time I will be driving to Goa, can someone confirm if this is the best route?

Pune -> Kolhapur -> Belgaum -> Jamboti -> Sanquelim -> Ponda -> Borda -> Margao -> Varca

Thanks a lot.
Shreeps,

While I understand your first-time-jitters, you can very well ignore them.

I traveled to Goa with my wife in December. The route you mentioned was the one I followed. Left at 5.30 AM from Pune and reached the resort near Margaon around 2.30 PM with 90 minute halt in Belgaum and a smaller one at Sai International. The only confusing part is exit from NH-4 into Belgaum town. Please study the information available in this and other threads carefully.

Roads are good and safe. Nothing to worry. Just drive carefully and keep the speeds in your comfort zone.

All the best. Do post a travelogue after your Goa visit.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 19:45   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Shreeps,
I traveled to Goa with my wife in December. The route you mentioned was the one I followed. Left at 5.30 AM from Pune and reached the resort near Margaon around 2.30 PM with 90 minute halt in Belgaum and a smaller one at Sai International. The only confusing part is exit from NH-4 into Belgaum town. Please study the information available in this and other threads carefully.

One way I think is :

- Look for Hindalco water treatment plant on your left.
- The instant you spot, get on to service road.
- At the next cross road, go below the 4-lane and take the service on the opposite side .
- Within 1 km you should see a road exiting into the city with KLE hospital on your right.
- Take that road, you hit a big circle called the Channama Circle.
- Ask for Khanapur. Take that road and within 7-8km you should see a fork. One leading to Khanapur and the other leading Jambotting/Chorla.

Route Link

It is quite possible thanks to road construction, you may miss the exit at Hindalco. Don't worry. Work your way to Hotel Sankam and that road would also lead you to Chanamma circle. It can be found on google maps.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2014 at 19:47.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 21:32   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to travel from Pune to Goa in the first week of May. I know its not a great time for Goa, but will be still going there. I am planning to take this route:

How is the condition of the roads? I will be travelling on May 1st early morning in my Ford Classic.

Thanks @ampere for linking me to this thread. Somehow it didn't show up in my search results.

Regards,
Harikrishnan
Please refer to posts earlier in this thread. Also pics and Road Conditions are mentioned promptly as recently as a month ago. You would find all desired things relevant and upto date. Hope u have a pleasant vacation.
bhavtol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 22:49   #1359
BHPian

Details for Belgaum Exit to Chorla Route.
1. After you pass kakti ( around 10 kms before BGM on Poona- bangalore ) You come to the first exit. Take the exit ( left ), Drive and you will have to take the right just under the Highway. Once u r under the bridge take a left. follow the road, ( you will pass suzuki showroom ) hold ur horses after that as there might be cops checking with speed radars. Keep going straight, you will pass a big hospital, Straight will lead u to first signal. You head srtaight which will get u to another signal. This is Chennamma signal. Take a right and then keep left where u will see a big ground on ur left, Keep going untill u see another signal, Go straight, Then u reach at a Watch tower, take a right and keep left, further u will see Hanuman statue, keep left, Then straight u will smell fishy,, thats our fish market, it means u are on the right track, Keep going straight, U come to another signal. From here keep right,, the other will go ahead on the railway bridge, So on this road u will come to 1st. railway gate, keep going straight, Then u will see the second gate, keep straight but again control ur horses,, Cops with guns again. Now u come to the 3rd. gate where u keep right. Go straight till you see a " Y " junction. ( Depends on the time so when u see the traffic crawl during day time, assume u r there. ) on this Y junction u keep right. This road leads you to chorla. " Pleae drive safe on this road, Good roads have bad drivers !! Beware.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 08:23   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Details for Belgaum Exit to Chorla Route.
This road leads you to chorla. " Pleae drive safe on this road, Good roads have bad drivers !! Beware.
Hey Sahir, you back. Long time since you last posted. How's the Tilari Ghat section now?
Also can you give a good route from Dharwad to to south Goa? I'm guessing it will be Mollem but how do you get from NH4 to NH4A

Cheers
Old 21st April 2014, 10:13   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hey Sahir, you back. Long time since you last posted. How's the Tilari Ghat section now?
Also can you give a good route from Dharwad to to south Goa? I'm guessing it will be Mollem but how do you get from NH4 to NH4A

Cheers
DF,

Dharwad-SH34-Alnavar-Ramnagar-NH4A all the way to Mollem.
https://goo.gl/maps/TMnTj

But I last heard the NH4A is potholed unless someone can confirm otherwise.In which case I would suggest that you stick to the Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Amona-Banastarim-Karmali-Mandur-Neura-Agassaim-Cortalim-Verna-Madgaon.

http://goo.gl/maps/24QAt
Old 21st April 2014, 12:05   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
DF,

But I last heard the NH4A is potholed unless someone can confirm otherwise.In which case I would suggest that you stick to the Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Amona-Banastarim-Karmali-Mandur-Neura-Agassaim-Cortalim-Verna-Madgaon.

http://goo.gl/maps/24QAt
March 1st week NH4A was potholed so we took Jamboti Khanapur on return. Between Mollem and Jamboti option I would suggest Jamboti via Belgaum and not via Khanapur due to undone patch here that many may complain.
I actually loved Mollem stretch that was fantastic after Border.
If one wants 100% good roads, Belgaum Jamboti Chorla will be best option.
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:15   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Hello Guys,

Regards,
Harikrishnan
Hi Hari,

I would be leaving for Goa from Pune on Friday evening - (9th May).

I do not take the route that you've mentioned though, I prefer to go by the Pune - Belgaum - Chorla (Jamboti) - Sanquelim - Mapusa route. Road conditions are better in the Chorla Ghat section.

A friend just returned from Goa (via Chorla Ghat) he says the patch just before the Goa Toll gates has been repaired, no huge ruts or potholes now.

He was a jittery first timer on such a long trip and was very happy with the route suggested by me.

Regards,
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:08   #1364
BHPian

Hi,
I have also changed my plan after going through all the posts. It seems the Chorla route is in a better condition than the other routes. Initially i chose for the other route as i was going to North Goa. But hearing the condition of Amboli ghat, I have changed my mind. The extra 30-40 km from Sanquelim to my resort in Calangute is something which I can live with considering the good road conditions. With the detailed route details from ampere, Sahir.kittur and finally the latest inputs from Trojan, it should be an easy task to go through this route. Thanks a lot guys.
harikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:07   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Also can you give a good route from Dharwad to to south Goa? I'm guessing it will be Mollem but how do you get from NH4 to NH4A....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
DF,

But I last heard the NH4A is potholed unless someone can confirm otherwise.....
I have just done Dharwad Alnavar Ramnagar Molem twice in the last ten days. There is a toll road now from Dharwad to Ramnagar. Excellent surface and only two 100 m diversions for bridge building. The stretch from Ramnagar to Anmod is bad for around 22-odd km, with large uneven potholes every fifty yards or so. This stretch took me around 35 minutes. From Anmod to the Goa border the road is good, and of course from the Goa border - molem - onwards it is buttery smooth.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed