Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 09:50   #226
BHPian

Returned from Goa yesterday via the longer Chiplun-Humbharli ghat route.

Humbharli ghat is in excellent condition on the Konkan side and as always a fantastic place to open up the bike throttles! On the "Desh side" however parts of the road are under construction : laid over with gravel but not yet topped with tar. The bad part starts just after Koynanagar and continues right through to Patan. The Patan-Umbraj road was EXCELLENT as always. And even while the rest of the country is sweltering hot, Humbharli Ghat has perfect B-M-W (Baby making weather) even now! NH17 was unbearably hot.

@deutscheafrikar: There is a junction on the NH4 approx 30 kms before Kolhapur: the sign says Sangli/Pandahrpur xx kms to the left. You need to take a right turn here. Roads were pretty awful for around 30 kms but ok after that. Bawda ofcourse is heavenly!

Last edited by COUGAR : 5th May 2010 at 09:52.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:11   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Returned from Goa yesterday via the longer Chiplun-Humbharli ghat route.
Its KUMBHARLI ghat, not Humbharli.

At the top at kumbharli ghat, there is one hotel which is my preferred place to hang out.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:03   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hudson, Cougar thanks for the information. Pretty confusing how to get to Rankala btu I'm sure once I have crossed over on to the SH 115 it won't be a bother.
Ashish Pallod , ranjitp1 any suggestion how to get through Kolhapur city to SH115 to go to Gaganbawda
Old 5th May 2010, 12:51   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ashish Pallod , ranjitp1 any suggestion how to get through Kolhapur city to SH115 to go to Gaganbawda
Use BOSS [ Thanks to yetibaba] navigation system.
simply ask to anyone in kolhapur,'' boss, ye gaganbavda kaise jana, kaunsa rasta hai?''.

the roads in kolhapur are very tricky,
though someone will post here details, very high chances of missing the route.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:39   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Hudson, Cougar thanks for the information. Pretty confusing how to get to Rankala btu I'm sure once I have crossed over on to the SH 115 it won't be a bother.
Hi deutscheafrikar, I'll try to guide you presuming you are starting at Tara Rani Chowk. From Tara Rani Chowk, Kolhapur continue towards the Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj terminus. This is the station road. When you reach the train station or the Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj terminus, continue straight on the station road. Pass by Gokul restaurant or stop there and have something as it is a nice place to eat. You can even make enquiries of the owner there saying you want to proceed to Gagan Bawda. Else, you keep going straight and reach Dasara (Dussehra) Chowk. At Dasara Chowk, ask someone or else take left. But do confirm over there in my opinion. Have a nice trip.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:34   #231
Senior - BHPian

ASHISHPALLOD thanks for the tip I will keep it in mind BOSS.
Akadian thanks for the directions, I will take the turn you suggest but like Ashish says I will ask along the way.
Now what I need to know if how do I get off the NH4 and where do I turn into Kolhapur city. My map shows some kind of a Toll booth when entering the city. Is that right?
Regards
P.S. ranjitp1 are you on leave? haven't heard from you recently
Old 6th May 2010, 11:30   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Its KUMBHARLI ghat, not Humbharli.

At the top at kumbharli ghat, there is one hotel which is my preferred place to hang out.
I am confused too! There are signboards saying Kumbharli AND humbharli: do they refer to 2 separate places! I guess Koynanagar is more neutral and less confusing eh?

I prefer the resorts located on a hill to one side of Humbarli: from the village bus stand, take a right (when coming from Pune). There is an MTDC resorts at the very top of this hill. The upmarket section of the MTDC resort (formerly called Wind Chalet) is now sold off i guess to a private operator and is called Nisarg Resorts now.

Gursale Resorts towards the lower part of the hill used to go for 350 bucks on a weekday. Now the a*** charges 1200 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Use BOSS [ Thanks to yetibaba] navigation system.
simply ask to anyone in kolhapur,'' boss, ye gaganbavda kaise jana, kaunsa rasta hai?''.

the roads in kolhapur are very tricky,
though someone will post here details, very high chances of missing the route.
Kolhapur is one place I hate to ask for directions, especially when on a loaded bike as people are just too inquisitive and want to know the entire itenary before giving the directions. Also ask 2 diff people and you will get 2 diff answers.

I personally have chosen to put my faith in GPS waale baba!
Old 6th May 2010, 16:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ASHISHPALLOD thanks for the tip I will keep it in mind BOSS.
Akadian thanks for the directions, I will take the turn you suggest but like Ashish says I will ask along the way.
Now what I need to know if how do I get off the NH4 and where do I turn into Kolhapur city. My map shows some kind of a Toll booth when entering the city. Is that right?
Regards
P.S. ranjitp1 are you on leave? haven't heard from you recently
hi DF,just got back after a back breaking Hyd-Mumbai-Hyd drive,roads from Pune till Indapur on nH9 are in a bad shape.I would go along with Ashish's suggestion of asking people rather than going by written directions,9 out of 10 times the written directions just will not help.

Better option to avoid all this chaos would be to go to Goa via the tried & tested trademark route of yours-Belgaum-Amboli-S'wadi-Goa and while coming back take the Gaganbavda or the Phonda Ghat road.Coming via Phondaghat,is spectacular and you would drive via the Dajipur Bison National Park and enter Kolhapur at the lake side,just keep driving straight and its a relatively straightish & shortish drive to the NH4 from there(the boss system comes in handy here!!)
Old 7th May 2010, 16:32   #234
BHPian

Madgaon?

I've been following this post for some time esp. since I'm driving to Goa this month end. What I gather is Pune - Kolhapur bypass - Sankeshwar - Amboli - S'wadi - Goa is the most preferred route.

Does this hold true for Panjim (or north Goa) only? What about going to Madgaon (i'm staying here)?
Old 7th May 2010, 18:35   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
hi DF,just got back after a back breaking Hyd-Mumbai-Hyd drive,
Better option to avoid all this chaos would be to go to Goa via the tried & tested trademark route of yours-Belgaum-Amboli-S'wadi-Goa and while coming back take the Gaganbavda or the Phonda Ghat road.Coming via Phondaghat,is spectacular and you would drive via the Dajipur Bison National Park and enter Kolhapur at the lake side,!!)
ranjitp1 Hope you enjyed the drive. Was it in the 800 or someother car?
Your idea of coming back via gaganbawda or phondaghat makes sense. It's easier to get to theNH4 as I found out the last time going via belgaum. So should be dificult to turn off the Nh17 and go to Kolhapur form there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
I've been following this post for some time esp. since I'm driving to Goa this month end. What I gather is Pune - Kolhapur bypass - Sankeshwar - Amboli - S'wadi - Goa is the most preferred route.
Does this hold true for Panjim (or north Goa) only? What about going to Madgaon (i'm staying here)?
Vineet since you're in pune it makes no sense to go via NH17. As for the NH4A at times the condition is not so good due to heavy loaded mining trucks using it. That only leaves the tried and tested Sawantadi route. Unless you want to try out the Gaganbawda or Phondaghat route

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th May 2010 at 18:39.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:00   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post

Holds true for Madgaon also. I recently visited colva. The road from North to South Goa has also been widened in most stretches. The NH4A route to South Goa is not worth it for the truck jam and broken road reasons articulated quite a few times.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:11   #237
BHPian

Hi All!!

I did the Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai trip on 2nd may (return 7th). Took the Pune-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Amboli-sawantvadi route. Till sawantwadi, Excellent! but boring. Kolhapur McDonalds was a good break. For Gadhinglaj, took the turn off a little before the actual one. But no worries, drove parallel to the highway and reached the proper turn off without any issues.

Road from Sankeshwar to Amboli roads are not good. But just OK. Top speeds can be 60. parts are rough and not covered by the final layer. After the Amboli sun set point, the roads are little better. Encountered some rain here (!!). After Sawantwadi, on NH17, almost till Pernem, there is road-work going on so speeds would be less and one has to drive with caution.

Return was via NH17. This was a pleasant surprise. My view of NH17 was limited to Mumbai-Alibag via Wadhkal which is congested and a pain. Now, the road between Goa and Mahad was 90% deserted with very few vehicles and it was a real fun drive in the turns and the ghats. Post Mahad it was kinda tough and slow.

While returning stopped overnight at Ganapatipule and it was worth every minute and paisa. Though the continental shelf is too close and rip-tides are abound, a dip till your chest-high water is perfectly safe and fantastic. One thing I noticed that the water here is more salty than bitter (as compared to Goa, or other cleaner seas of Abu Dhabi/ Melbourne).

All in all a great trip. THANKS TO YOU ALL. Had a chance to eat at the Brittos, Viva Panjim (Fontainahs), Suza Lobo. On Panjim-Miramar road, just opp the Campala Swimming pool there is a Magsons store and Edu's Kitchen (also US Pizza is there). They serve decent food with decent rates. Don't try the rawa-pomplet fry though, very bland.

For veggies, on Miramar road there is a Forest Pure veg restaurant. And it is a large property by the Mandovi river.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 11th May 2010 at 10:12.
Old 11th May 2010, 21:06   #238
Senior - BHPian

Exhaust_Note, Glad to hear you had a good vaction.
You went on the opp side to have a break at McDonalds?
I think they keep the rods untarred at the top near villages to prevent overspeeding through them
Did you return during the day time on NH17? It has always had less traffic. How was the condition of Nh17. I have heards it's good from Pen to Goa, freshly laid tarmac?
Any Photos?
regards
Old 12th May 2010, 11:30   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Exhaust_Note, Glad to hear you had a good vaction.
You went on the opp side to have a break at McDonalds?
I think they keep the rods untarred at the top near villages to prevent overspeeding through them
Did you return during the day time on NH17? It has always had less traffic. How was the condition of Nh17. I have heards it's good from Pen to Goa, freshly laid tarmac?
Any Photos?
regards
Yes. Just opposite the McDonalds there is a road going off to your left. This goes a little way and turns right under the under-pass and curves up to the opposite side for McDonalds. same way to return to the highway too. I missed this one and took a left U-ish turn to catch the same road about 500 mts ahead and reached McDonalds.

Yes. I returned via NH17. Roads and traffic was excellent till Mahad/ Pen. After that roads were good, but traffic was dense. NH17 surface is as good as NH4 and well painted too, so driving is a pleasure. But I had to keep the top speed to 80 since there were twists and turns (not complaining at all!!) and Wagon R has this body roll . Hence night halt at Ganpatipule.

Photos .. here you are -

01. Baga Beach, just liked the way it came out.
02. Boating @Baga
03. Mandovi Bridge
04. Dona-Paul
05. Chapple at Raibandar
06. The ride
07. Vaishist River (NH 17)
08. Show off
09. Baga panorama
10. Vaishisht river panorama
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goamay2010-069.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goamay2010-145.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goamay2010_day2-047.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1181.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1258.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1297.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1304.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1377.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goamay2010-041_1.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_1318.jpg  

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 12th May 2010 at 11:38.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:25   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Yes. I returned via NH17. Roads and traffic was excellent till Mahad/ Pen. After that roads were good, but traffic was dense. NH17 surface is as good as NH4 and well painted too, so driving is a pleasure. But I had to keep the top speed to 80 since there were twists and turns (not complaining at all!!) and Wagon R has this body roll . Hence night halt at Ganpatipule.
Exhaust Note thanks for the info and the photos. I likes the last one a lot. Prepairing my self mentally for the drive.
Did you leave Goa late since you stopped at Ganpatipule?
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks