Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjit I have the km written as
Aoni 395
Rajapur 408
Kharepatan 428
Talere 443
didnt see the name 451
Didnt see the name 459 kms

One of the above has to be Humarat. the distance from 451 km turn was 102km to Kolhapur. From the last intersection it was 110. But Im a bit unsure about the distance to Kolhapur because it is from memory.
Here are two photos of the turns

These distance are from mumbai so if you calculate from Panvel intersection near Datt Vada pav you have to minus 41 kms.
regards
well the turning is from Humbarat to Phonda.Its approx 6-8 kms after Kankavli while coming from sawantwadi side.Its a fork road,take the right(this is SH-117) & immediately you would find a signage showing the distances to Radhanagari & Kolhapur..SH-117 and SH-116 intersect a little distance before Phonda town.From thereon the road is known as MH MSH-116.(Maharashtra Major State Highway 116)(though I doubt anybody would refer to those roads by these numbers)
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:52   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
well the turning is from Humbarat to Phonda.Its approx 6-8 kms after Kankavli while coming from sawantwadi side.Its a fork road,take the right(this is SH-117)
Ranjitp1, I noticed all the turns on the way back yesterday on the NH17. I quite enjoyed the drive. Only had two narrow experiences once when someone in a qualis was right in ffront heading towards me while overtaking about 5 vehicles. He then pulled over to his side of the road. That was in Kankavli I think. So thats the only downsides of this road and the very reason why I have been a regular on the NH4. There was some cloud cover so the journey was not that tiring. It took me 12 hours to reach panvel thats because I was slowed down at Sawantwadi and then later after mahad by slow moving heavy traffis. Of course the mumbai traffis was the pits. Years ago it used to be slow moving in the city because the roads were so bad. Nwo that we have a lot of concrete road and flyovers the pace at wich it moves is the same due to so many automobiles on the road.
regards
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:18   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjitp1, I noticed all the turns on the way back yesterday on the NH17. I quite enjoyed the drive. Only had two narrow experiences once when someone in a qualis was right in ffront heading towards me while overtaking about 5 vehicles. He then pulled over to his side of the road. That was in Kankavli I think. So thats the only downsides of this road and the very reason why I have been a regular on the NH4. There was some cloud cover so the journey was not that tiring. It took me 12 hours to reach panvel thats because I was slowed down at Sawantwadi and then later after mahad by slow moving heavy traffis. Of course the mumbai traffis was the pits. Years ago it used to be slow moving in the city because the roads were so bad. Nwo that we have a lot of concrete road and flyovers the pace at wich it moves is the same due to so many automobiles on the road.
regards
Good to know you are back in Mumbai in time before Cyclone Phet hits the city! is there a monsoon drive back to Goa again?
Old 4th June 2010, 14:11   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Good to know you are back in Mumbai in time before Cyclone Phet hits the city! is there a monsoon drive back to Goa again?
Yep I ran away from there the minute it started to rain. The reaso being the flood near where I was residing due to overslow of the septic tank. So I have to defer any visit during this years monsoon. Are you going in June
Forgot to mention about the firang on a Imported motorcycle on a carne permit number. most probably a BMW with lots of luggage. He zoomed past at about over 80kms near Hathkamba I think. I didn't even get a chance to photograph the guy.
Thank goodness Phet isn't going to hit Mumbai
regards
Old 25th December 2010, 11:05   #260
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Tomorrow I want to go to Sawantwadi and then to Goa.

Anyone traveled on this route recently?

Which roads are better?

Tawandi ghat - Ajra - Amboli OR Sankeshwar - Gadhiglaj - Ajra - Amboli

What is the condition of Ponda - Anmod - Belgaum route?

What are the trusted Petrol Bunks enroute?

Please help.
Old 25th December 2010, 11:14   #261
Senior - BHPian

Both routes are decent except for some bad roads near Ajra and Anmod.

I think the best pump is Konduskar's in Kolhapur, after which it is best to refuel in Goa (cheaper).
Old 30th December 2010, 12:15   #262
BHPian

Latest: DEC 2010

Traveled to Goa 0n 26th Dec and returned on 29th Dec

Route take while going - Pune -Kolhapur - Sankeshwar (NH4) - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Patradevi -Panaji

Road between Sankeshwar and Gadhinglaj surface is cracked. No potholes but you can not go fast (60 kmph+) unless you are in SUV. Between Gadhinglaj and Ajra road at places is not good mainly because of Sugarcane movement to Palse sugar factory. In Amboli ghat road is bad for 2.5 kms from temple in the ghat. Between Banda and Patradevi highway work for Patradevi - Zarap section is going on so road is bad. Once that road gets redy it will be great.

Return route - same but from Ajra I came back via Uttur - Tawandi road. This section is bad surface in patches. It is bad particularly between Maharashtra border and Tawandi Ghat.

It took me 8 hours of driving time. excluding lunch break. on NH4 I was between 80 and 100 kmph On other roads between 50 & 70.

Toll plazas between Pune and Satara take 40 minutes of waiting. (20 X 2) after Satara both do not take more that 2-3 minutes each.

Konduskar Pump after Kolhapur does not sale ordinary petrol it only sales Speed, Diesel and Hi-Speed. (Still it is having biggest sale in Kolhapur District)
Old 30th December 2010, 12:27   #263
BHPian

Thanks Sahir for the detailed Wiki and Google snap shots.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:13   #264
BHPian

Mumbai to Goa - Which route has less ghat travel?

I'll be driving from Mumbai to Goa this new year and will be staying near the Goa University for 4 days.

Planning to start from Mumbai around 2am on 01-Jan-2011 and return trip from Goa around 7am on 04-Jan-2011.

My wife & daughter are less enthusiastic with ghat travel (gets sick with steep climb up or down). This is also my first long drive in India with my i20 Asta.

Taking the beautiful NH17 seem to be rolled out due to the ghat drive -- so Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur on NH4 seem to be best alternative.

Option-1: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - NH17

Option-2: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Gadhinglaj - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - NH17

Option-3: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Sawantwadi Road - Naganwadi - Amboli - Sawantwadi - NH17

Option-4: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - State Highway 130 (near Karve) - Assonora - Acoi Village - NH17

Option-5: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Kankumbi - Anjunem - Bicholim - Assonora - Acoi Village - NH17

Option-6: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Anmod - Ponda - Corlim - Goa

Which of these options have better road condition with less / no ghat travel and safe to drive thru (Both from Mumbai to Goa as well as the return Goa to Mumbai).

Thanks in advance !
Old 30th December 2010, 18:54   #265
BHPian

I think Option 2 or 6 are better.

option 5 I believe is via Chorla Ghat that descends at Valpoi in Goa. Do not know much about it but I have heard that ghat section is quite narrow and steep.

Has any TBHP member traveled on that road?
Old 30th December 2010, 19:42   #266
BHPian

The least amount of ghat section would be Tillary ghat and Chorla ghat. Unfortunately the roads here are pretty much screwed through the year. If I had to make a choice between the two, I'd choose Tillary ghat.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:21   #267
BHPian

@Midlifecrisis -- I think you are comparing the Option-4 and Option-5 in my earlier posting.

How about the Option-6 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Anmod - Ponda - Corlim - Goa) -- does this include driving thru a ghat? Is the additional Kms really worth taking this route to save time / have comfort for the passengers?
Old 31st December 2010, 10:11   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
The least amount of ghat section would be Tillary ghat and Chorla ghat. Unfortunately the roads here are pretty much screwed through the year. If I had to make a choice between the two, I'd choose Tillary ghat.
Midlife have you driven through the tillari ghat?
Old 31st December 2010, 12:42   #269
BHPian

@ShanG -- You can not avoid Ghat going to Goa. Anmod falls on NH4A and as per the latest news road for very short spell of approx 1.5 km near the Ghat top is in bad condition rest is in very good condition. Anmod Ghat has lot of dumpers traffic in the afternoon. If you can avoid their timings its great.

Tillay and Chorla do not have much traffic but the road condition may be bad.

Anmod will take least time as you travel much of distance on NH4 till Belgaum and that road is excellent and fast. Once you cross Maharashtra border everyone is fond driving at 120 kmph+ speed till Belgaum.
Old 31st December 2010, 16:19   #270
BHPian

@deutscheafrikar - Based on the discussions I saw on another thread, Tillari route is likely to have some deep ghat travel including that wonderful Tillari falls discussed in that thread. Is that right?

@CANPUSH -Thanks for your responses. I think I'll go ahead with Option-6 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Anmod - Ponda - Corlim - Goa) itself and based on the experience will have to decide on the return route.

Most Viewed