Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 11:53   #421
ppr
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Ashish

The A6 is the reason for my concern.
If I had a SUV, I would not even bother to ask.

The car actually has excellent ground clearance and great suspension but I just hate having to drive at a crawl for poor road quality. Hence I am trying to find the best possible route.

Thanks
ppr
Old 7th September 2011, 12:35   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Ashish

The A6 is the reason for my concern.
If I had a SUV, I would not even bother to ask.

The car actually has excellent ground clearance and great suspension but I just hate having to drive at a crawl for poor road quality. Hence I am trying to find the best possible route.

Thanks
ppr
Chief, you will have absolutely no issues with the Nippani - Sankeshwar - Gandhiglaj -Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa route in your A6.
There are a few bad patches just as you take the left from Nippani, but it gets only better as you move forward. My cousin drove in his 800 alongwith us last week, & he did not scrap his car at all.
Have fun, drive safe.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 12:39   #423
ppr
BHPian

Thanks mb_jg

I would have thought it was a right turn from Sankeshwar?
Is the road well sign posted?

ppr
Old 7th September 2011, 12:42   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Thanks mb_jg

I would have thought it was a right turn from Sankeshwar?
Is the road well sign posted?

ppr
It's not a right turn on the highway itself. You will have to take the exit for Sankeshwar and then take a right under the flyover towards Gadhinglaj. IIRC, the exit sign for Sankeshwar also has a sign for Gadhinglaj along with it.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th September 2011 at 12:47.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 17:53   #425
BHPian

When I last drove on this road couple of months ago, Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj section had badly broken surface (No potholes though). Quite possible, heavy rains last couple of weeks in this area might have damaged the road further.

Nothing to worry! Its just 4-5 km patch.

Also, after crossing Tavandi Ghat check your speed and keep reading all signs. The Gadhiglaj exit is very easy to miss if you are not attentive.

As you climb Tawandi Ghat after Nipani you get a big sign board on right along Hotel Kaveri Showing road to Goa. This road also takes you to Ajra via Uttur but condition is not as good and road is very narrow (Single) in some stretches. Not very good for A6 as you will need to partly (Or fully, if oncoming Truck/ Bus is adamant) leave the tarmac to pass.
Better avoid the temptation and go via Gadhinglaj.

Banda- Patradevi patch is also in bad condition. Four laneing is being done and people drive anywhere without any lane discipline. better do it during daytime.
Old 7th September 2011, 20:05   #426
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Banda- Patradevi patch is also in bad condition. Four laneing is being done and people drive anywhere without any lane discipline. better do it during daytime.
Is this between Sawantwadi and Pernem? Someone else mentioned that it was bad. How much distance is the four laning? I am planning to do this stretch in the morning.

Thanks for the info. I will give everyone a feedback after my trip next week.

ppr
Old 7th September 2011, 22:30   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes that is between Sawantwadi and Pernem. The really bad stretch is just 3-4 km but overall route till Goa border is not great either.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:59   #428
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...rla-route.html

Have a look at this too.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:21   #429
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Wow! That is really something. That is almost like the Mumbai roads these days .

I hope the Sankeshwar - Amboli road is not like that!

ppr
Old 8th September 2011, 13:46   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Also, after crossing Tavandi Ghat check your speed and keep reading all signs. The Gadhiglaj exit is very easy to miss if you are not attentive.

As you climb Tawandi Ghat after Nipani you get a big sign board on right along Hotel Kaveri Showing road to Goa. This road also takes you to Ajra via Uttur but condition is not as good and road is very narrow (Single) in some stretches. Not very good for A6 as you will need to partly (Or fully, if oncoming Truck/ Bus is adamant) leave the tarmac to pass.
Better avoid the temptation and go via Gadhinglaj.
@ppr
you can read about the above on the link below, to avoid missing your turn under the Highway. And it's 12 kms on the NH4 from the Kaveri/Satyapalace turn. If I were you I'd drive down to belgaum and take the right to ambioli, It's a wider road and normally in better condition than the one you're going to drive on because it connects Belgaum to Vengurla. But please ask about the condition before hand.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1760803
Old 8th September 2011, 17:02   #431
BHPian

@ppr: In general, I heartily second Nigel's (deutscheafrikar's) opinion on going upto Belgaum and taking the right turn to Amboli as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, Hayek has cautioned that this road has gone bad at the junction with Ajra Road. So its best if someone who has travelled Belgaum-Amboli after the rains can give their views. Also note that going via Bauxite Road, you completely avoid all Belgaum traffic and there are no traffic signals whatsoever, right till you hit the Belgaum-Amboli-Vengurla state highway.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:16   #432
ppr
BHPian

Thanks Sunil and Nigel

I thought Sahir's post was about the road from Belgaum to Goa? That is a horror story. Is this the same road we are talking about?

I just spoke to a friend who went about 10 days back. He was suggesting the Kolhapur Radhanagariroad. He said it is overall better than Amboli. He was concerned about landslides at Amboli. I guess i will just have to look for the latest feedback just before I travel (14th Sept).

ppr
Old 8th September 2011, 21:58   #433
BHPian

[quote=ppr;2498836]Thanks Sunil and Nigel

I thought Sahir's post was about the road from Belgaum to Goa? That is a horror story. Is this the same road we are talking about?

PPR,
There are 4 routes from Belgaum to Goa. The Horror one is called Chorla Route & I did this route for our team members who wanted to know how this route is.
Sorry for scaring you.
Old 8th September 2011, 22:30   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sahir, amazing pics on the Chorla thread.

@PPR, the worst craters you will find on Nipani Uttur Ajara... would be similar to the one near the dog in Sahir's Chorla thread. Sankeshwar just has rough surfaces.
Old 8th September 2011, 22:58   #435
BHPian

@ppr: As Sahir said the horror route is via Chorla ghat. The one I am recommending was also originally recommended to me by Sahir and I will always be thankful to him for that. The one I am talking about is the first exit at Belgaum, go under the flyover, go straight on Bauxite Road and you are on your way to Amboli. Definitely a very much driveable road except maybe for a few rough patches which Hayek mentioned. Nigel is also talking about this very road. The third road from Belgaum is via Ramnagar, Londa and Anmod Ghat - to be avoided under any circumstances. Please let me know if you need any more detailed directions. Have a safe trip

Most Viewed