Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 02:16   #586
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear-ge View Post
Am still a little confused about where to get off the NH4, before Sankeshwar or nearer Belgaum. Any Clues?
If you are driving from Mumbai, then the right turn you have to take at Nipani (ie Tavandi Ghat) is approximately 43-45 kms from Kolhapur. The last toll plaza you will cross is 'Kognoli' where you will have to pay Rs.25/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
After Kolhapur,you would encounter the Tawandi Ghat.As you begin your ascent,you would see Hotel Satyavati Palace to your right.Right beside that is a road going down.Take that road to Uttur-Ajra-Amboli and onwards to sawantwadi and goa.
Actually you would see Hotel Satyawati Palace on your Left. The hotels on the right are 'Hotel Goa Ves' and 'Hotel Kaveri'. The road to Uttur goes between these two hotels.
See the pic below:
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-nipani.jpg  

Dr.Sav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 09:04   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
If you are driving from Mumbai, then the right turn you have to take at Nipani (ie Tavandi Ghat) is approximately 43-45 kms from Kolhapur. The last toll plaza you will
Actually you would see Hotel Satyawati Palace on your Left. The hotels on the right are 'Hotel Goa Ves' and 'Hotel Kaveri'. The road to Uttur goes between these two hotels.
See the pic below:
Obrigado Dr. Savio
Actually missed that error. Infact I've never noticed the Goa Ves while driving past. I wonder if it's any better than the other two. And knowing ranjit I'm sure it was a slip. Anyway about 24 kms from the Kognoli Toll Plaza is this turn if it helps someone.
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 09:35   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
@SUN: Just couple of questions: You have rated Bauxite Road as "Very Bad" - did you experience craters/ potholes on this stretch or was it just broken tarmac as shown in the photographs which you have uploaded.
Craters. It seemed like off-roading to me.
Quote:
Secondly - you have rated the stretch from end of Bauxite Road till Amboli as "average" here again did you experience potholes/ craters or was it just rough road. And what kind of speeds were you able to maintain on this stretch.
I would say 50-60 is doable. It all depends on how much you and your car can take.
Quote:
I am planning to drive to Goa on 30th hence look forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance.
Unless you have a reason to go via Belgaum, I think you are better off going via Sankeshwar --> Ajra --> Sawantwadi route (assuming you are coming from Pune side).
Then as Ashish has mentioned about the diversion to avoid Banda, you can take that route later on so as to avoid the horrible road at the border.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:54   #589
BHPian

Nipani -> Uttur -> Ajra road conditition may not be good. Nipani -> Sankeshwar -> Gadhinglaj -> Ajra may be a better option. Only thing is not to miss the correct exit at Sankeshwar
Old 29th November 2011, 13:10   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Obrigado Dr. Savio
Actually missed that error. Infact I've never noticed the Goa Ves while driving past. I wonder if it's any better than the other two. And knowing ranjit I'm sure it was a slip. Anyway about 24 kms from the Kognoli Toll Plaza is this turn if it helps someone.
Cheers
Hotel Goa Ves has come up recently. Previously there was only Hotel Kaveri. Actually this turn is easy to locate since the road becomes 6 lanes as Tawandi ghat starts. This you can not miss. Also there is small ashram with Buddha statue on left hand side where the ghat starts. And the hill itself s a big landmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Unless you have a reason to go via Belgaum, I think you are better off going via Sankeshwar --> Ajra --> Sawantwadi route (assuming you are coming from Pune side).
To go to Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj -Ajra route getting off NH4 is even more tricky. Approx 11 kms after Tawandi there is road going left to Sankeshwar. You have to leave that and 1.5 km later get off NH4 on to service road at the next sign showing Sankeshwar/ Gadhinglaj and immediately take right turn below NH4 to go to Gadhinglaj.

Quote:
Then as Ashish has mentioned about the diversion to avoid Banda, you can take that route later on so as to avoid the horrible road at the border.
This road takes you to Banda. You can not avoid the horrible road near the border but can bypass Sawantwadi, the small ghat after Sawantwadi and Police/ RTO check post at Insuli to join NH17 near Banda and Patradevi.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:07   #591
BHPian

Well, friends, has anybody got any fresh updates on the road to Goa of late? What I want to know is if there are any WIP on the roads.

The last thing we knew by post #543 in this thread is that the road from Sawantwadi to Banda is under some construction. Are there any other roads getting work done?

I'm travelling to Goa on the night of 22nd December 2011 and will be leaving back on the 1st of January 2012. We will be taking 2 cars, me in our OHC and my brother in our Esteem. Totally we are 7 adults and 3 kids.

Usually I take the Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route. I have found this route in fair condition whenever I've been to Goa except for once when there was work getting done on it. The potholes didn't bother me much except for certain places where they spring a surprise.

This time I'll take the Dhanoli-Banda route bypassing Sawantwadi as recommended by Ashish in post #557.

Any more updates/suggestions?
Old 1st December 2011, 19:33   #592
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am a frequent traveller on this road. Have done the run from Bombay to Goa 5 times in the last 5 months. I would agree with Figopian & Sun. Go via Sankeshwar to Ajra, Gandhinglaj and on to Amboli. The road is much better but be careful about turning off NH 4. As explained in one of the posts below look for the sign post showing Gadhinglaj. Slide off the highway immediately to the slip road on your left. Go dowm this road and then hard right at the junction after the speed breaker to cross under the highway.

A Punto going really fast had just overtaken me on Tawande Ghat and swung off to Uttur. I continued on to Sankeshwar. After about an hour or so he suddenly appeared behind me again somewhere after Ajra - I think. I would therefore presume that the route is longer or the road is worse as he was really going flat out and I was taking it easy.

Hope the above is of some help.

Meanwhile, anyone using this road do keep us updated on the road condition as I am driving back to Bombay on the 9th. Dec.

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:53   #593
BHPian

I drove to Goa via Nippani-Amboli today morning and here's a quick update:

Had taken an overnight halt at Kolhapur hence planned to leave early this monring. But was delayed due to heavy fog all over Kolhapur area. Finally left around 8 a.m. then also there was continuous fog thus slowing down the driving speed considerably. Incidentally these fogs are quite common in this area on winter mornings- had the same experience in December last year as well.

Road condition on Nippani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli can best be described as 35% stretch pathetic 65% excelllent. Repair work is going on but may take a couple of months to bring it to scratch.

Amboli ghat is overall in good condition except the 100 mts where the landslide occurred in the monsoon.

Also experimented with the Danoli-Banda route as recommended on this thread. First 6 kms excellent, next 3 very bad, next 3 very average, last 3 good. Road width is really not an issue - two vehicles can pass each other comfortably except maybe on a very small stretch of about 1/2 - 1 km

Banda-Patradevi is in complete shambles - dont know when they will complete the four laning.

Total time taken to cover approx 190 kms from Kolhapur to Panaji - 5 hours with one 15 min break at Amboli. Says everything about the fog and roads.

Driving back on the 6th December - I shall take NH4A - I dont know whether this will be like choosing between the devil and the deep sea.

Last edited by suniladhiya : 1st December 2011 at 22:56.
suniladhiya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:17   #594
BHPian

Quote:
I drove to Goa via Nippani-Amboli today morning and here's a quick update:

Had taken an overnight halt at Kolhapur hence planned to leave early this monring. But was delayed due to heavy fog all over Kolhapur area. Finally left around 8 a.m. then also there was continuous fog thus slowing down the driving speed considerably. Incidentally these fogs are quite common in this area on winter mornings- had the same experience in December last year as well.

Road condition on Nippani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli can best be described as 35% stretch pathetic 65% excelllent. Repair work is going on but may take a couple of months to bring it to scratch.

Amboli ghat is overall in good condition except the 100 mts where the landslide occurred in the monsoon.

Also experimented with the Danoli-Banda route as recommended on this thread. First 6 kms excellent, next 3 very bad, next 3 very average, last 3 good. Road width is really not an issue - two vehicles can pass each other comfortably except maybe on a very small stretch of about 1/2 - 1 km

Banda-Patradevi is in complete shambles - dont know when they will complete the four laning.

Total time taken to cover approx 190 kms from Kolhapur to Panaji - 5 hours with one 15 min break at Amboli. Says everything about the fog and roads.

Driving back on the 6th December - I shall take NH4A - I dont know whether this will be like choosing between the devil and the deep sea.
Thanks for the update. I am travelling from Pune to Goa tomorrow morning and this update is just nick in time. Team-BHP rocks!

takecare and drive safely
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:32   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
Thanks for the update. I am travelling from Pune to Goa tomorrow morning and this update is just nick in time. Team-BHP rocks!

takecare and drive safely
@ rkavthekar: Have a safe trip. If possible, do post your route experience after reaching Goa, it would certainly help me to plan the return journey.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:48   #596
Senior - BHPian

@sankeshwar,

Many of you may not aware that kolhapuri chappals are made at sankeshwar.
Little detour to sankeshwar town will be surprising for you.
Sankeshwar town is @5km detour from NH4 turn off.
You will get excellent kolhapuri chappals at dirt cheap prices at sankeshwar.

On 6th nov, while returning from goa, i dashed to sankeshwar town in search of this kolhapuri chappals,
the shops are along old highway, choose your stuff and bargain.
I got kolhapuri mojadi for me + chappal for wife + chappal for daughter + really good chappal for son, whole lot for just rs 600 that too with minimal bargain.
I still feel that i could have saved rs 100 on this deal with little more bargain.

There is one shop at kaveri hotel at tawandi ghat selling kolhapuri chappal but i am doubtful that you may get any variety and bargain at that shop @ kaveri hotel.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 2nd December 2011 at 11:02.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:25   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

This road takes you to Banda. You can not avoid the horrible road near the border but can bypass Sawantwadi, the small ghat after Sawantwadi and Police/ RTO check post at Insuli to join NH17 near Banda and Patradevi.
My bad. I was under the impression that you can avoid the horrible border route somehow.

Quote:

Uttur road is traditionally best avoided. At least that is what has been repeated on this thread.
Quote:
My friend had taken the NH4A (Molem) road on my suggestion. This was in first week of November. He was not too happy. In return he took the Sawantwadi - Sankeshwar road and he said it was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@sankeshwar,

Many of you may not aware that kolhapuri chappals are made at sankeshwar.

Thank you for this tip - I will remember this the next time we head on that side.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:38   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad. I was under the impression that you can avoid the horrible border route somehow.
The horrible road is between goa border check post and banda check post of maharashtra police.
Total distance may be @5km between these two check posts, the entire stretch is in horrible condition.
while coming from danoli using direct banda route, you will avoid @4km of bad stretch between two check post, you will travel only 1km on this bad stretch to reach goa check post.
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:05   #599
BHPian

Ok, just for reference, here's a list of all the toll booths one has to go through from Mumbai to Goa via the Kolhapur route. I usually take a right at Nipani so am not aware of any beyond that to Belgaum.

The list includes the toll rate as of June 2011. Any new updates are welcome.

Mumbai Exit Point : Rs 30
Khalapur : Rs 165
Talegaon : Rs 99
Shivapur : Rs 65
Anewadi/Virmade : Rs 45
Taswade : Rs 52
Kini : Rs 52
Kognoli : Rs 25
Total : Rs 533

I use this list and keep all the money ready in proper order so time spent at each booth is minimal and I don't get toffees in return as change.
Dr.Sav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:18   #600
Senior - BHPian

Well if you pay 165 at khalapur on the expressway then you don't need to pay at Talegaon again. After kognoli there is one toll plaza on the way to belgaum if I remember right
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks