Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 15:31   #661
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hey Sahir

Have taken plenty of inputs more or less decided - but utilizing your opinion as the casting vote.

I am driving in from Delhi and going on to Goa and would like your inputs:

1. Stay the night at Belgaum and start early morning for Goa - so a good budget hotel to stay in Belgaum with wife and kids
2. ETD from Belgaum - 5 AM
3. Best route to Goa for a Honda City - even if longer

Hotel Sankam, Hotel Sanman , Hotel Adarsh palace.
Take the Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Molem..

But even the Amboli - sawantwadi - goa route is good. I am sure you will love amboli in the early mornings.

I will be doing this route on friday morning. Will do a fresh update too.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:42   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Hotel Sankam, Hotel Sanman , Hotel Adarsh palace.
Take the Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Molem..

But even the Amboli - sawantwadi - goa route is good. I am sure you will love amboli in the early mornings.

I will be doing this route on friday morning. Will do a fresh update too.
The Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Molem Route:

1. What is the approx. travel time without a break
2. Condition of the road and the craters folks are talking about
3. Mining Trucks traffic state
4. How many Kms of Ghat driving
Old 14th December 2011, 15:59   #663
BHPian

The Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Molem Route:

1. What is the approx. travel time without a break
2. Condition of the road and the craters folks are talking about
3. Mining Trucks traffic state
4. How many Kms of Ghat driving[/quote]

1. Max 4 hrs.
2. As per an update 2 days back, There are no big craters,
3. Minning trucks now do not create a havoc as it was earlier.
4. Approx 20 kms.

Which part of goa are you heading ?
Old 14th December 2011, 21:56   #664
BHPian

I drove to Cancona, in south Goa about ten days ago. I did the Kolhapur (Hotel Opal_ decent place, parking, price, clean etc) and then to Sankeshwar (just after Nipani) and then right off the hwy for Amboli, then downhill to Sawantwadi, and further south to Goa. The road from Sankeshwar to Amboli is 5/10 and then back to NH17 being what it was. The Border between Goa and Maharashtra (at the Patradevi end, has been bombed out of the world, and those 5-7Km are first gear.)
Nothing to be gained by going south to Belgaum in my opinion.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 15:44   #665
BHPian

@Hammer & Anvil - Thanks for update on Kolhapur - Amboli - Sawantwadi Road! I will be taking this route soon.

On a related note, I plan to make a journey from Pune - Kolhapur - Malvan - Sawantwadi - Kolhapur - Pune next week. I plan to take Gaganbawda road from Kolhapur - Malvan. Has anybody took Gagan Bawda route recently?

Thanks..
Old 15th December 2011, 15:55   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
@Hammer & Anvil - Thanks for update on Kolhapur - Amboli - Sawantwadi Road! I will be taking this route soon.

On a related note, I plan to make a journey from Pune - Kolhapur - Malvan - Sawantwadi - Kolhapur - Pune next week. I plan to take Gaganbawda road from Kolhapur - Malvan. Has anybody took Gagan Bawda route recently?

Thanks..
The gaganbawda route waa bad post monsoons.hopefully they have repaired the route now.the other option is the route through radhanagari phondaghat.expect rough roads here as well but there was nothing alarming till october.drive is a very scenic one as well through the dajipur bison sanctuary.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 17:38   #667
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks..
Radhanagari -> Phonda ghat road is much better road than the Gaganbawda road. I would recommend it for sure and I am going to take the same road when I travel to Malvan on December 24th
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 18:13   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The gaganbawda route waa bad post monsoons.hopefully they have repaired the route now.the other option is the route through radhanagari phondaghat.expect rough roads here as well but there was nothing alarming till october.drive is a very scenic one as well through the dajipur bison sanctuary.
Thanks @ranjitp1, @figopian. Would take Phondaghat route this time.

Any idea if there are any Shell bunks (alternatively, any good bunks) in Kolhapur, Kagal, Kudal, Sawantwadi area ? I plan to make a tankful in Pune, but would need to refuel in between.
Old 15th December 2011, 19:42   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea if there are any Shell bunks (alternatively, any good bunks) in Kolhapur, Kagal, Kudal, Sawantwadi area ? I plan to make a tankful in Pune, but would need to refuel in between.
AFAIK there are no shell pumps enroute.Once you exit Pune(there was one after Katraj tunnel to your left-that too has been closed for a while not sure if its open now),there are no more Shell pumps.There was one which was expected to open on the Kolhapur-Miraj Sangli road,but I dont think that opened ever.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:03   #670
BHPian

Took the Vasco - Ponda - Molem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum route today morning. If guys are really looking for some good road without some bad patches, stay away from this route. I was stuck for 1 hour in a traffic jam near Tiskar bridge. But was lucky to find these guys in their electric vehicle which has also pedal power.
They were heading towards Belgaum. They said they were promoting Green energy. Well, If they are doing this route in This type of vehicle, should we be asking about the road condition for this route
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-16122011304.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-16122011305.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-16122011306.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-16122011307.jpg  

Old 17th December 2011, 10:36   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog

I never found any working shell pump in this region, but I can suggest a good alternative. After you cross the kini tool plaza just before Kolhapur, you should see one HP pump on your right side, you will have to cross the highway but it's a good bunk. Its company operated, and I fill dispel only here when I go to kolhapur. It may be hard for you to find, but just a suggestion.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:23   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Hello Meer Ji, It was indeed a pleasure speaking with you as well. Unfortunately we could not meet. Lets catch up when you are in Pune next.

Now for the benefit of fellow travellers, info on my trip from Pune to Goa via Belgaum.

NH4 Pune - Belgaum 5hrs (including 20min stop @ Sai International)
The Pune- Kolhapur stretch is Good to Very Good and the Kolhapur - Belgaum Road is EXCELLENT (10/10 my rating)
NH4A Belgaum - Goa( Panjim) 2hrs 50mins. The road quality ranges from OK to Good to small stretches of Very Good Roads.
The Begaum to Ramnagar stretch is just OK with all the large craters all filled in. ( Overall this remains the only stretch where we drive at 40kms /hr.
(Thank you Sahir Kittur Ji for your report which made my Route choice easier)
From Ramnagar to Anmod- Ponda- Goa the road gets better and better with some stretches where you can do speeds upto 110 kms/hr.

Friends please note from Rani Chennamma circle(in Belgaum city) there are 2 roads which go to Goa.
a)If you take the left fork from Rani Chennamma Circle the road takes you through NH4A to Goa via Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda- Margao / Panjim
b) If you take the right fork the road takes you past the Eefa hotel to Sawantwadi via Amboli. This road is SH121. I drove on this stretch to Goa in Sept and the roads are good only in patches. Hence AVOID this route.

Hence I strongly recommend to all those people who dont mind travelling the extra distance via Belgaum to take Nh4/ NH4A route since even though the distance is more the time time taken to reach Goa from Pune is more or less similar to the Sankeshwar- Amboli - Sawantwadi Rd but lot better roads.
Cheers
Safe driving.
Hi

If I do not turn of from sankeshwar and take the Belgaum route via Anmod:
1. What is the travel time from Belgaum to Goa
2. How is the road condition and climb on Anmod Ghat
3. What about mining trucks traffic
4. The status of the large craters which one encounters on account of mining truck traffic

Old 17th December 2011, 13:52   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

If I do not turn of from sankeshwar and take the Belgaum route via Anmod:
1. What is the travel time from Belgaum to Goa
2. How is the road condition and climb on Anmod Ghat
3. What about mining trucks traffic
4. The status of the large craters which one encounters on account of mining truck traffic

Hi DrivePassion, I am indeed glad to know that that you are planning to drive from Delhi to Goa. I have personally driven from Delhi to Bangalore (via Goa) too many times. I used to live in Gurgaon then.
Now to answer your question.
I just checked with a friend of mine who lives in Belgaum. He too suggest that you avoid the Belgaum - Goa via Anmod.
The king of of Maharastra- Goa roads (Sahir Kittur) has also just written the same. He has just driven via the Anmod ghats and suggests all to avoid that road. as its not in good condition. Hence the only option you have is to take the Nipani- Sankeshwar- Amboli - Sawantwadi rd to Goa or take the Kolhapur- Radhanagri rd to NH17 & then on to Goa.
But definitely the Nipani- Amboli Rd is recomended.
Anyway when are you leaving Delhi and what route are you taking??
PM me if you need any help
Cheers & Safe Driving
Drivealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 14:39   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivealot View Post
Hi DrivePassion, I am indeed glad to know that that you are planning to drive from Delhi to Goa. I have personally driven from Delhi to Bangalore (via Goa) too many times. I used to live in Gurgaon then.
Now to answer your question.
I just checked with a friend of mine who lives in Belgaum. He too suggest that you avoid the Belgaum - Goa via Anmod.
The king of of Maharastra- Goa roads (Sahir Kittur) has also just written the same. He has just driven via the Anmod ghats and suggests all to avoid that road. as its not in good condition. Hence the only option you have is to take the Nipani- Sankeshwar- Amboli - Sawantwadi rd to Goa or take the Kolhapur- Radhanagri rd to NH17 & then on to Goa.
But definitely the Nipani- Amboli Rd is recomended.
Anyway when are you leaving Delhi and what route are you taking??
PM me if you need any help
Cheers & Safe Driving
Hi

I would be doing the Delhi - Jaipur highway(NH8) and then take the bypass to do Kishangah - Chittaur - udaipur(NH79 & NH 76).

Udaipur Ahmedabad(NH 8) followed by NE 1 for Vadodara - then Surat bypass via Dhule to Shirdi.

Thereon would take the Shirdi - Ahmednagar highway to Pune - onto NH 4.

The confusion as of now is only the last leg - turn off from NH 4 either at Sankeshwar/Belgaum/Hubli for Goa - the aim is to get to Goa quick and fast on good roads!

Open to suggestions

Old 17th December 2011, 14:46   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I would be doing the Delhi - Jaipur highway(NH8) and then take the bypass to do Kishangah - Chittaur - udaipur(NH79 & NH 76).

Udaipur Ahmedabad(NH 8) followed by NE 1 for Vadodara - then Surat bypass via Dhule to Shirdi.

Thereon would take the Shirdi - Ahmednagar highway to Pune - onto NH 4.

The confusion as of now is only the last leg - turn off from NH 4 either at Sankeshwar/Belgaum/Hubli for Goa - the aim is to get to Goa quick and fast on good roads!

Open to suggestions

I am a regular on the Pune-Goa sector and you can see my earlier posts in this thread, reporting road conditions during my last trip in the first week of December. One thing you need to understand that after Kolhapur/Belgaum, there is no such thing called "get to Goa quick and fast on good roads" - such an entity simply does not exist at least in the winter months. In summer, the roads are much better because the authorities have had enough time to patch them up. The only good road is to go right upto Hubli on NH4 and then turn to Goa on NH63, which adds about 200 kms to your distance.

Out of the other (shorter) routes, you can see that everyone has recommended Kolhapur-Sankeshwar (on NH4) - turn off to right - Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Danoli-Banda-Goa, frankly this is the best you can expect at present.

Have a safe trip
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed