Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 11:24   #781
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

When going from Pune to Sankeshwar with Kohlapur in between, will i have to go straight through the city/town or is there a way to bypass it, cause Google maps shows the route through it. help.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:31   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
When going from Pune to Sankeshwar with Kohlapur in between, will i have to go straight through the city/town or is there a way to bypass it, cause Google maps shows the route through it. help.
If you continue on the NH4, you need not get into the city. In fact, you need to take an explicit exist from the highway to get into the city. Just cruise on the highway and you should not see the city! (Unless you really want to see of course )
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:03   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Keep on NH4 all the way and you would be at Sankeshwar.

Satara, Maharashtra to NH 17, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 07:51   #784
BHPian

Hey guys
For benefit of all those who intend to travel this route.
I traveled yesterday 27th april 2012 on this route.
Started from thane at 08.00 hrs took me exactly 2 hrs to reach first food court (from Mumbai side) due to heavy office traffic of Mumbai. Started again after fuel top up and breakfast around 40 minutes stop.
Had lunch exactly at 1300 hrs at karad, hotel prakash (I may have got that name wrong ) good joint bang on the highway. just before the bridge starts, they also have Gujarati thali section ( I did not try it ). just suggested it as it gives quick option to eat and push off faster. Anyway the service was quick and food quality good. Started again after stop of around 45 minutes.
however I would have had preferred hotel sai just before Kolhapur on left side of highway.

took the bahirewadi uttur ajra road. I prefer this road as it cuts down the traffic that is faced on gadhinglaj road and then going through two towns slows you down. Also The road condition is not that great as reported by friend who travelled recently.
As regards to road from Goa vez or satyavati dhaba to uttur is patchy for around 12 Kms. you cannot do more than 40-45 Kms/hr
Then road condition improved drastically till ajra but then again all the way through ajra amboli till amboli ghat ends is patchy with some patches recently tarred.
Had two pit stops, one for my son who was running high fever. Next we just could not ignore the scenic valley view stop just at start of amboli ghat. After refreshing cup of tea and hot kanda bhajiya we started again.
As you know the road from savant wadi to panaji is so small that it's very difficult to overtake and you are forced to tail heavy trucks and buses.
At the border the maharashtra cops were stopping all vehicles but just waving by after cursory look.
Once inside Goa did make good time to reach madgaon city exactly 19.30
So 11.30 hrs considering around 2 hrs of rest time and 9 hrs of drive time. I had to drive very conservatively as my 12 yrs old son was sick running fever. I fact due to his sickness I was planning to cancel my trip, however we did not start from thane at 5 am as planned but I highly recommend it as it will avoid Mumbai office traffic and then you will reach Goa in day light which is much preferred in the view of dangerous Goan night traffic.

Just an additional piece of info before starting I had downloaded map my India navigator on my I phone and it worked like dream. With few patches in amboli ghat where it kept hunting rest all the way it was perfect with voice prompts at appropriate round abouts and turns

Thanks and regards

Last edited by zipzapzoom : 28th April 2012 at 08:00.
zipzapzoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 12:27   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzapzoom
Had lunch exactly at 1300 hrs at karad, hotel prakash (I may have got that name wrong ) good joint bang on the highway. just before the bridge starts, they also have Gujarati thali section ( I did not try it ).
this could be Pankaj I think. It's just before the bridge.
Old 29th April 2012, 07:38   #786
BHPian

Thanks figopian
It was indeed " pankaj" hotel, despite of his sickness my 13 yrs old son remembered the name perfectly.

Off the topic
During over discussions while traveling he asked me how I knew so much about the road. Beforehand.
Then I told him about my secret genie called "TEAM BHP" he was amazed. Especially when he came to know that it was a team Bhpian who helped me crack his PSP, he is now keen on joining team BHP
Thanks and regards
Old 29th April 2012, 10:00   #787
BHPian

All hotels in Karad are good and provide nice authentic food. On various threads, I have always recommended hotels in Karad over a few others on the highway. Sangam is another good one there!
Old 30th April 2012, 21:53   #788
BHPian

On 27th April I traveled Pune-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Malgaon-Banda-Panaji-Pona route.
As reported in these posts road upto Sawantwadi is fine. Between Sankeshwar and Gadhinglaj some rough patches are there but as I crossed resurfacing was going on that should be ready by now.
In Amboli ghat where the landslide had occurred they are putting concrete road and till now have done only one side thus leaving 4” sharp drop along median. Very dangerous and one should be careful.
I did not took Danoli –Banda route as I wished to break for lunch at Sawantwadi. Bhalekar Mess opp. Sawantwadi Muni. Sports club (Gymkhana) as you enter the town is a good no nonsense place to eat. No great ambiance but great food.
After sumptuous lunch I ventured to explore Sawantwadi bypass, i.e. Zarap – Patradevi highway. Going towards railway station from town I entered the highway at Malgaon. Malgaon – Banda section is 75% complete. In between there are unpaved patches that bring down your speed to less than 20 kmph. However, Banda-Patradevi section is worse. It is only 50% complete and as NH17 joins before Banda traffic is heavy.
With 1hrs 40 minutes eat stops and 3 detours (Malgaon-Banda, Mapusa city, Ribundar-Old Goa) it took me 10 hrs to reach Ponda from Pune.
On return today I entered Maharashtra at Satarda, just after Pernem and took Malewad-Sawantwadi road till Malgaon. The road is good and you can travel at 80 kmph continuously. As I wanted to go to Kudal, from Malgaon I took Malgaon-Zarap section of bypass. This road is 90% complete and it saved for me more than 30 minutes. From Ponda, I reached Kudal in two hours covering distance of 110 kms.
Old 4th May 2012, 00:37   #789
BHPian

Just returned from Goa taking the same road back ie patra Devi - amboli - ajra - utter - Goa ves restaurant and back on NH4
Actually was planning to break journey by staying over at Kolhapur hence started quite late ie at 12 noon from varca club Mahindra.
Had lunch at bhalekar khamaval as canpush has advised a real no nonsense place for Malian cuisine.
Reached Kolhapur at around 5 pm so decided to continue to Mumbai.
With some tea breaks and dinner at sentosa resort just start of Pune Mumbai express.
The match was on at the new Sahara stadium.
Regards
Old 4th May 2012, 17:31   #790
BHPian

In the last weekend had been to a vacation to goa. We went by the NH4 route and came back via NH17. Either way it took us almost 12 hours drive with at least 2 hours breaks. Honestly speaking NH4 is faster and better but NH17 is really exciting to drive and sceneray is wonderful. Anyway we left mumbai around 5 am and got stuck in the Pune expressway for 2 hours due to trucks. Finally left pune around 9 am and reached Kolhapur by lunch. Road is excellent and you cannot get lost. After kolhapur we crossed Nippani and then took the statehighway. The diversion is immediately after the ghat section starts and there is a big resort called VesGoa on the right. This satehighway took us through amboli to Sawantwadi. Road is drivable, patchy at places, but no congestion. Took a late lunch around 3:00 at sawantwadi and finally reached our destination by 5 pm. This is the most recommended route to goa.
Pls note there is a rough patch of 3-4 kms immediately when you enter goa. Highway construction work is goingon. returned to mumbai on tuesday via NH17.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:34   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I came back from Goa and took the Banda - Danoli - Amboli road. The road is good to travel except a few places where it is really bad, but mostly ok. Advice to travel on this road in broad daylight, not that I know of any incidents but its a lonely road, may not get quick help.
@Figopian - Any idea how much time it took on Banda - Sawantwadi - Danoli ? I understand, Banda to Danoli via Sawantwadi town is around 26kms and Banda - Danoli direct route is about 10 kms less. I think, Banda - Sawantwadi - Danoli should take about 45-60 mins considering one has to travel through Sawantwadi town.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:09   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
@Figopian - Any idea how much time it took on Banda - Sawantwadi - Danoli ? I understand, Banda to Danoli via Sawantwadi town is around 26kms and Banda - Danoli direct route is about 10 kms less. I think, Banda - Sawantwadi - Danoli should take about 45-60 mins considering one has to travel through Sawantwadi town.
I don't remember exactly now since it's been almost 5 months, but I would say it could be somewhere between 30 - 40 mins. Not more than that. You could save major time because the road just before Sawantwadi is too small and if you come behind a big trailer or truck, you are stuck for a while. Though, a few bhpians have mentioned the road has deteriorated since December, so I am not sure about current road condition.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:49   #793
BHPian

Hi,
I did Goa earlier this week, and few quick points:
1) As written by fellow BHPian many times, few kms around border area was very bad.
2) Roads inside Savant wadi are very narrow - wonder how long it may take to get out if any gets jammed. I was lucky - took me less than 5-7 mins both ways to cross this town. I wanted to take Banda-Danoli while returning, even saw a right turn at Banda but thought it was for doddamarg and did not take it. It may be worth taking this road to avoid risk of getting stuck in Savant wadi.
3) While going - went through Mapusa city (Had to go to Candolim area). While returning, took straight east from Candolim to hit NH-17 and eventually bypass Mapusa city (rather than north east through Mapusa city).

Regards
Old 18th May 2012, 16:34   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
1) few kms around border area was very bad.
2) I wanted to take Banda-Danoli while returning,
3) While returning, took straight east from Candolim to hit NH-17 and eventually bypass Mapusa city (rather than north east through Mapusa city).

@Naren

1] still same condition at border?
2] next week, i will again take this danoli-banda route. will post latest road condition on this section.
3] While going toward panaji, after crossing mapusa area, you will notice Hotel Green Park on right side of NH17, take right turn at this hotel junction and take smaller road. This small road is best to bypass the mapusa city to reach calangut.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:27   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@Naren

1] still same condition at border?
2] next week, i will again take this danoli-banda route. will post latest road condition on this section.
3] While going toward panaji, after crossing mapusa area, you will notice Hotel Green Park on right side of NH17, take right tusurn at this hotel junction and take smaller road. This small road is best to bypass the mapusa city to reach calangut.
Yes - this was my 1st trip on this route - but had read a lot about road around border from you all! Regarding bypassing Mapusa - may be we are talking about same road! BTW - I drove around in Panaji and Mapusa during evening peak hours. But was surprised to not get struck in any traffic mess. May be as it was a weekday evening? Or the elections? Off-season? Or is this how easy it is driving around Goa?

Also - it would be worth exploring new routes to cross onto Goa - may be Dodamarg? I took Amobli route both ways. Uttur area was bit bad for few kms.

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 18th May 2012 at 17:30.

Most Viewed