Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 14:27   #811
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

[quote=ASHISHPALLOD;2792068]Route update: road condition in the last week of May 2012.
quote]

Thank you Ashish for the latest updates. I will take the usual Amboli-Sawantwadi route.
OT: How's the weather there. Has it started pouring in Goa?
Old 29th May 2012, 14:51   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
OT: How's the weather there. Has it started pouring in Goa?
I was expecting hot and humid weather but i was wrong.
Surprisingly good weather, temp not more than 34, low humidity.
Rains not started yet.
ASHISHPALLOD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 22:57   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I was expecting hot and humid weather but i was wrong.
Surprisingly good weather, temp not more than 34, low humidity.
Rains not started yet.
How long did you take to travel?
Old 30th May 2012, 14:52   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susheelwadke View Post
Hi,
I will be doing the Kolhapur South Goa (Varca to be exact) on the 3rd of June and I notice that there is a route from Khanapur- Kolem-Curchorem- Varca. I was wondering if anybody has done this route and how are the latest road conditions.
Thanks
I see you've already been advised to avoid this route. I don't know how bad the Khanapur - Ramnagar section is now as I last moved on that route more than a year ago, and it deteriorates pretty fast. But there is a short cut from Khanapur to Anmod -- narrow, mixed surfaces, negligible traffic (see this post in this thread -- the next time I drove that section, I covered it in 55 min.). The last time I moved on that route, in April last year, the worst section had been covered with fine stone chips so it's quite probably the best section now

About mining traffic: the trucks are not allowed to ply on Sundays, and 3rd June is a Sunday.

The route via Kulem requires you to take a right at Mollem, shortly after you pass the gate of the Dudhsagar Resort (which is NOT very near to the falls). 6 km to Kulem Rly. Stn., then on to Sanvordem/Curchorem. There are a couple of junctions in fairly lonely places, so either print out a map or carry a GPS (or use Waze).

From Curchorem you can drive via Quepem - Cuncolim - Chinchinim - Orlem Bridge to Varca.

Just in case you're not familiar with this, and in case you need to ask directions in a rural area: for most places in Goa, an 'm' at the end of a place name isn't pronounced. Thus, Kolem is koo-lay, Curchorim is koor-chor-i, Quepem is kay-pay and Cuncolim is koonko-li.

db
Darryl.Burke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:19   #815
Senior - BHPian

Local newspaper has reported that Amboli ghat section would be closed for 8 days for pre-monsoon checks, but it hasn't mentioned start & end dates for this closure.

Does anyone know dates and what's next best route from Pune to Goa?
Old 30th May 2012, 18:46   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Local newspaper has reported that Amboli ghat section would be closed for 8 days for pre-monsoon checks, but it hasn't mentioned start & end dates for this closure.

Does anyone know dates and what's next best route from Pune to Goa?
Sukiwa , why don't you try the route via phonda Ghat. Its in great condition . I am just back fron Tarkarli via the same route. The route would be Pune-Kolhapur-Radhanagri-Kankavali-Sawantwadi-Goa.
Old 30th May 2012, 21:06   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Sukiwa , why don't you try the route via phonda Ghat. Its in great condition . I am just back fron Tarkarli via the same route. The route would be Pune-Kolhapur-Radhanagri-Kankavali-Sawantwadi-Goa.
Too Bad. I was planning to go via Amboli. I was banking on Ashish Pallod. Will have to print all my maps again. Is the Ponda Route safe and hows the Road condition. Doing a Day journey and have my wife and a naughty toddler. Please let me know.
Old 30th May 2012, 23:38   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksrinivasv View Post
Too Bad. I was planning to go via Amboli. I was banking on Ashish Pallod. Will have to print all my maps again. Is the Ponda Route safe and hows the Road condition. Doing a Day journey and have my wife and a naughty toddler. Please let me know.
Phonda route is absolutely safe and very scenic as well.The road passes through India;s only Bison reserve at Radhanagari.Divert into Kolhapur town from NH4 and ask for directions to Radhanagari road.The road is along the Rankala Lake.

Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phonda ghat-Phonda-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi-Mapusa.

The Phondaghat is spectacular.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 00:27   #819
BHPian

Is anybody planning to go via Kolhapur-Ponda Ghat-Kankavali-Goa on Friday. Would love to make a convoy. Feels better to go in a group rather than alone. Its boring. Am planning to start early from Kolhapur(after taking a night break in Kolhapur). If there is some one, PM me and I can send back my mobile number.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:11   #820
BHPian

Sad that Amboil route is being closed. Update on dates would be welcome.
I am leaving on 7th June from Pune, Varca (South Goa) is my destination. With Amboli route closed, does Belgaum route make sense or Phonda route is better?

Last edited by bigwheelz : 31st May 2012 at 11:14. Reason: spell check
Old 31st May 2012, 11:23   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksrinivasv View Post
Is anybody planning to go via Kolhapur-Ponda Ghat-Kankavali-Goa on Friday. Would love to make a convoy. Feels better to go in a group rather than alone. Its boring. Am planning to start early from Kolhapur(after taking a night break in Kolhapur). If there is some one, PM me and I can send back my mobile number.
Srinivasv , as Ranjit mentioned the Ponda ghat is very safe .You will have sufficient company on the route. Good number of vehicle use this route along with S.T. buses. Would suggest you to cover the route during daylight . I was on this route with my family and never felt unsafe.

Attaching an image of the route.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 31st May 2012 at 11:36.
Old 1st June 2012, 21:57   #822
BHPian

Thanks. Am in panjim. Reached safely. Roads in best condition all over apart from some 15~ 20 kms after kolhapur. In fact I drove 70 -80 kms per hour from kankavali to sawantwadi when speed limit is 40. Road so good.
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:05   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksrinivasv
Thanks. Am in panjim. Reached safely.
How did u navigate kolhapur's traffic? Is there a option to get in n out of kolhapur quickly. Gmap, mapmyindia give 2 different routes through kolhapur. Which is better?
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:57   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
How did u navigate kolhapur's traffic? Is there a option to get in n out of kolhapur quickly. Gmap, mapmyindia give 2 different routes through kolhapur. Which is better?
The Map ranjit suggests shows the route as follows
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&s...0&sz=12&num=10
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:12   #825
Senior - BHPian

As per today's newspaper, amboli ghat will remain partially closed in the next week daily for few hours for repairs.

As per earlier news, amboli ghat was supposed to be completely closed for a week but wrt local oppose, authorities has decided to close it for few hours every day for next few days.
If you are supposed to drive through amboli ghat, plan accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks