Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Is NH66 the new number for NH17?
Yes NH66 is the new number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
@deutscheafrikar: Yes, The old NH17 is the new NH66.

I had a related query. I'm going to be returning from Goa to Pune sometime next week, and I dont want to take the Amboli ghat as I have taken that too often. Plus, I want to enjoy riding along the Konkan coast for a while. So I need suggestions on a good ghat that I can take to join NH4 from NH66. Also, I have done Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar before, as also Warandha and Tamhini. Are there any other ghats that I can take, somewhere after Ratnagiri?
You can go back to Pune via the Gaganbawda route and join NH4 at Kolhapur,or else take the Phondaghat route via Radhanagari also to join NH4 at Kolhapur.The other option if you are ok with bad stretches is to go via NH4A (Ponda-Mollem-Anmod ghat-Londa-Khanapur-Belgaum-NH4)

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th December 2012 at 11:38.
Old 5th December 2012, 12:08   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You can go back to Pune via the Gaganbawda route and join NH4 at Kolhapur,or else take the Phondaghat route via Radhanagari also to join NH4 at Kolhapur.The other option if you are ok with bad stretches is to go via NH4A (Ponda-Mollem-Anmod ghat-Londa-Khanapur-Belgaum-NH4)
Hi Ranjit,

Thanks for those options. Actually, I wanted something further north of Ratnagiri. I will be on a bike for this trip, and it's more fun to ride on the NH66, than the NH4! So, I'm hoping to find something that will allow a good amount of riding along the Konkan coast, before I head to the boring NH4. I can see that the Chiplun-Patan road is an option. So, 2 questions.

1. Any idea what the condition of this Chiplun-Patan road is?
2. Any other ghats further North of Ratnagiri?

If there arent decent roads North of Ratnagiri, I will use the Gaganbawda route to Kolhapur.
Thanks a lot!
Old 5th December 2012, 17:22   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ranjit,

Thanks for those options. Actually, I wanted something further north of Ratnagiri. I will be on a bike for this trip, and it's more fun to ride on the NH66, than the NH4! So, I'm hoping to find something that will allow a good amount of riding along the Konkan coast, before I head to the boring NH4. I can see that the Chiplun-Patan road is an option. So, 2 questions.

1. Any idea what the condition of this Chiplun-Patan road is?
2. Any other ghats further North of Ratnagiri?

If there arent decent roads North of Ratnagiri, I will use the Gaganbawda route to Kolhapur.
Thanks a lot!
Kumbharli Ghat that joins gets down to Chiplun from Karad-Patan is in good condition as reported by my friend who traveled on this route last month. Once you get down to NH 66 you need to be very cautious as there are too many twists and turns on this road and new drivers coming from opposite direction could be dangerous.

If you wish to travel along the coast here is an option. -

You can go to Ganapatipule and take MSH4 (Coastal highway) that runs along the coast via Ratnagiri and other places mentioned below right into Goa. Except near Vijaydurg. There you have to leave MSH 4 to take SH113 neara place called Mithgavane and join MSH 4 again near Devgad. This detour you have to actually ask for directions as signage is minimal.

From Devgad you can go till Goa via - Kunkeshwar - Mithbav - Munage - Achara - Malvan - Nerur (in this section dont miss visit to Dhamapur lake)- Kudal - Vengurla ... Again two options - From Vengurla you can go to Terekol and cross in a ferry or by road get into Goa near Satarda to join NH66.

The road is very scenic, many a times running along the coast and with minimal traffic. Width of road varies from 2 lane to single lane and surface is generally good yet some patches may be not so good.

If you get down from Phonda Ghat you can simply cross NH66 and proceed towards Devgad to meet MSH4.

Good luck, take care.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 19:30   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Kumbharli Ghat that joins gets down to Chiplun from Karad-Patan is in good condition as reported by my friend who traveled on this route last month.
====================
If you get down from Phonda Ghat you can simply cross NH66 and proceed towards Devgad to meet MSH4.

Good luck, take care.
Hi Canpush,
Firstly, thanks a lot for that really detailed reply. I will use the Kumbharli ghat as suggested by you. Also, I have been on the NH66 before, and my village in Kerala where I am originally from falls on the very same NH. So, I'm aware of the crazy nature of the roads, and needless to say, we're going to be very careful.
The MSH4 seems like a very exciting option! I just plotted the entire thing on Google maps, and it looks very inviting. I'm sure it'll take a tad bit more time than the NH66, but I have no doubts that it will be worth it
Also, the ferry option looks nice, it'll lend a different charm to the ride. Any idea how frequent the ferries are? And do you think we'll face issues loading two bikes onto the ferries and crossing? If not, that will be amazing
Thanks a ton!
Old 5th December 2012, 23:03   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Any idea how frequent the ferries are? And do you think we'll face issues loading two bikes onto the ferries and crossing? If not, that will be amazing ...
I have been there before (stayed at Kamat's Aronda) in 2010 and crossed Terekhol river by ferry. My safari and a Scorpio plus several two wheelers crossed together. Ferries are fairly big. No worries . I think ferries leave every 30 minutes or so (don't remember exactly) from sunrise to sunset.

-BJ
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 22:49   #951
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just met up with a friend who drove back from Bombay to Goa and back again.
He used the normal Bombay Poona, Kolhapur, Sankeshwar, Gadhinglaj, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi road and claims it is still in poor condition but the ghat section is being repaired.
On the way back, he used the old NH 17 (now called NH 66 I understand) from Goa to Tarle, then turned right off the highway and climbed the Gaganbawda ghat to Kolhapur and then joined NH4 to Poona and Bombay.

Has anyone used this road recently? He claimed the road from Sawantwadi to Tarle and on to Kolhapur was in excellent condition but the ghats were steep. It's a long time since I have used that route.

I know the downside is that one has to pass through Kolhapur but if one can avoid the Sankeshwar/Gadhinglaj/Ajra/Amboli road (100 Kms of iffy roads) it may be worth it.

Would appreciate any inputs as I will be leaving for Goa in 4 to 5 days time.

Rgds,
SS
Old 9th December 2012, 09:25   #952
BHPian

Just got back from a trip to Goa from Pune. As recommended by teambhp member sahir.kittur, took the NH4 right upto Belgaum and then the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route. This adds just about 30-35 kms to the distance, but for me its well worthwhile. The Belgaum-Amboli section is mostly in excellent condition, except for a rough patch of not more than 2-3 kms. The Amboli Ghat is also in very good condition except for about 1/2 km near the landslide patch. After descending Amboli Ghat, the section of 15 kms till Sawantwadi is again in excellent condition. Sawantwadi-Banda-Patradevi section is mostly done now and doesnt present any issues.

While returning, stuck to the above route as well. If anyone from Mumbai/ Pune wants to try this route, I would be only too happy to share the details of the exact exit point from Belgaum to connect to the Amboli-Sawantwadi road.
Old 9th December 2012, 14:13   #953
BHPian

Well here there is an option of not entering Sawantwadi. As soon as you get down the ghat after a few km there is left turn which will take you straight to Banda. I had gone a few months back and they were relaying the road, must be surely done by now. Saves a lot of time. Don't remember the exact turn (there is no board there), will post those details in sometime
Old 9th December 2012, 19:22   #954
BHPian

Just back from Satara, Kolhapur and Goa tour. Our usual prefered route is in good condition except few patches immediately after you leave NH4 at Sankeshwar.

I stayed at Opal-Kolhapur, Estrella-Goa and Nivant-Satara. All hotels proved to be of good quality, service and overall experience.

I got best milage to date on this trip - 13.10 kmpl.
Old 12th December 2012, 08:33   #955
BHPian

10th Dec. I returned from short trip to Goa that was

Pune - Kolhapur - Gagan Bawda - Karul - Vaibhav wadi -Talere - Achra - Malvan - Nerur - Kudal - Panaji - Ponda -Panaji - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Sankeshwar - Kolhapur - Pune. (Bold ones are halts.)

Nothing much to write about Pune - Kolhapur section. But this time Toll booths at Shivapur and Taswade took little less time.

Crossing Kolhapur the Road between Rankala ves bus stand and Rankala is almost non existing resulting into traffic jam at the junction as everyone moves very slowly between the potholes.

Kolhapur - Gaganbawda road - out of 53 kms approx 20 kms is not in good condition. Within that 2-3 kms patch near village Kale is in bad condition. You can see the rubble and metal dumped at edges so expect repairs soon and may be by end of March road will be in excellent condition.

Once you enter the Karul Ghat first 1 km you have patchy road but soon as you enter Sindhudurg district road is excellent and well marked with retro-reflective edge strips. When I got down it was already dark but I could descend very quickly. It took me 24 minutes to cover 18 kms ghat. Karul - Vaibhav wadi - Talere section is also in very good condition except one place between Karul and Vaibhav wadi where you have two potholes which occur suddenly on otherwise smooth road.

Talere - Kanakvli NH66 (17) was good but this road now needs widening to 4 lanes. Kanakvli - Achra section is now ageing may be next year it will need re-surfacing in some sections. To my surprise most of the speed breakers are removed. It took me 7 hrs for 386 kms at moderate speeds. (left Pune at 1325 and reached Achara at 2030. Breaks - total 10-15 minutes) Not bad.

Achra - Malvan - Nerur -Kudal, that is MSH4 coastal highway, is in generally ok condition. There are some patches of broken tarmac but no potholes.

Kudal to Patradevi - I traveled on under construction Zarap - Patradevi road. Road is not fully complete so you have to alternate between left and right lanes and vehicles plying in both direction are on the same side of the median. Where it crosses Sawantwadi - Tulas - Vengurla road the fly over approach roads are still not complete but you can get down on service road and get on the main road again. Near Banda still lot of work to be done but at least one side is complete so less dust.

In Goa roads were very good. But do expect traffic jams near either ends of Mandovi bridge and also between Korlim and Banastarim particularly in the morning and evening peak hours.

On return - from Banda I took the above referred new road and got onto Vengurla - Sawantwadi road to reach Sawantwadi. This saved good amount of time. Panaji to Sawantwadi was in 1 hour flat. We then took Amboli Road. Condition is good. In Ghat repair work is going on at 2-3 spots where land slide usually occur. In last 2 kms near the top; road surface is broken.

As you cross Amboli and get on to Belgaum road, after 3-4 kms suddenly road turns bad right till junction where you turn for Ajra. (I am told that further 10-15 kms towards Belgaum is also in same bad condition. But repairs work is going on.). After Ajra Juction till you reach Gadhinglaj road is good. Getting out of Gadhinglaj, within municipal limits the road is bad for 1 km and again into Karnataka Border the road is bad for 2 kms. Once you get on to NH4 (or AH47) it's excellent all the way till Maharashtra Border and Good thereafter till Pune.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 08:44   #956
BHPian

I am based in North Goa and planning to try the Dodamarg - Tilari Ghat - Belgaum route. Any body been on this route recently ? Any info on the quality of the roads /GC required would be most welcome.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:00   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
I am based in North Goa and planning to try the Dodamarg - Tilari Ghat - Belgaum route. Any body been on this route recently ? Any info on the quality of the roads /GC required would be most welcome.
One of my relative stays in Sanquelim and he oftn takes Sanquelim -> Chorla ghat -> Belgaum -> Kolhapur route. He claims he could reach Kolhapur from Sanquelim in 3.5 hrs. He drives an Indica Vista. Considering the timings he claims, I guess the road would be in okay sort of condition.
Disclaimer: His driving style is absolutely scary so I may be wrong about the road condition
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 12:22   #958
BHPian

Actually I live in Sanquelim too. The Chorla route is a different one (Chorla - Kankumbi - Jamboti - Belgaum) and I have heard that this route is quite good (except for a brief 4 km patch) having been recently surfaced on the Karnataka side.

The route I am talking about is different - via Tilari Ghat. Google maps show the route as State Highway 130 : Dodamarg - Bhedshi - Ghotgewadi - Vijghar- Belgaum.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:24   #959
BHPian

I'm in a fix. I am planning to take the NH67 next week, and I really need some input to take a few decisions.
The plan is to leave from Pune on 22nd evening and reach Gokarna on 23rd morning. There will be four of us on two bikes. I have been on the NH4 very often at night, and I'm confident that I can ride on it at night, with no major safety concerns. But I have to turn right off the NH4 at Dharwad and take the Kalghati-Yellapur-Ankola-Gokarna route on NH67. I have not been on this road at night, so I dont know what to expect. I have been told that this route is the main highway that buses from Mangalore-Mumbai use. Does that mean that there will be a few vehicles on the road here and there? or will it be pretty deserted as it is through a forest area? Please advice on what I can do. I'm pretty much stuck. My major concern is safety in case we need to stop due to bike trouble or for any other reason. The only option I see out is to leave Pune sufficiently late at night, so that I reach Dharwad at 6 AM, and do this stretch from 6 to 9 AM, but I'd really prefer to reach Gokarna by 6 AM. which would mean I do the Dharwad-Gokarna stretch from 3 AM to 6 AM. Is that asking for trouble?
Old 15th December 2012, 23:28   #960
Senior - BHPian

Tarun this is Sahir's Tilari Ghat route. He's the best person to give you info about this ghat.
Last years pics on both routes are here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2469141

Other than him the only person I know who enjoys this route is my house painter in Goa. He tells me it's about 8 kms of steep, rough road. I think the vegetable tempos from Belgaum to Mapusa use this route. Very short I think, about 99 kms across.
Enjoy your self and don't forget to post the pics.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-goa-54.html

If you do a search about this road on Team BHP or google you will find a lot of his posts and pics of this ghat.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post

The route I am talking about is different - via Tilari Ghat. Google maps show the route as State Highway 130 : Dodamarg - Bhedshi - Ghotgewadi - Vijghar- Belgaum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
" Sahir's Tilari Ghat " Like the way its called here. Well as I have allways said. You have to really visit this place to understand the beauty. I will be back in Belgaum from 4th till 20 th. of Nov. If anybody wanst to visit this place, Be my guest.
Cheers.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks