Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 17:26   #1036
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Road is now in good condition & one of the most preferred routes nowadays.
Thank you HVK Sir,

I have been reading about this route am looking forward to our trip.

Initially there was a lot of confusion what with all the different routes and short-cuts. But I think the journey itself should be worth the entire trip.

Planning to leave Pune on 18th May (early morning 330-4am) and will take the Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Sanquelim route.

Cheers!
Old 24th April 2013, 21:58   #1037
BHPian

Update as on last week, route -> Pune-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Candolim.

Good road all the way till Goa. NH4 exit towards Gadhinglaj till Sawantwadi took ~30minutes less compared to Oct/Nov12. Approx. 20kms after Sawantwadi new toll booth at Goa charging 250/- for out of Goa registered vehicles, started from 15th Apr`13. Road between MH and GA checkpost almost done.

Surprisingly, weather was excellent, 21C@Pune 5:30am, 14.5C@Khedshivapur, 18C till Satara. Max. 33.5C @Goa, Min. 13.5C @Taswade for few mins.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 24th April 2013 at 22:02.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:47   #1038
BHPian

Planning a trip to South Goa and will use the route via Kolhapur which I have used in the past.

Which route will be better and faster to reach Margao ?

Via Amboli - Sawantvadi ?

Or

Via NH 4A all the way to Margoa through Belgaum ?

I am looking for a smoother road and a faster journey.
Old 26th April 2013, 07:39   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Planning a trip to South Goa and will use the route via Kolhapur which I have used in the past.

Or

Avoid nh4A.if you want to try a new route,you could try the chorla route(belgaum-piranwadi-jamboti-chorla-sanquelim)Else Sankeshwar amboli route is good.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:23   #1040
BHPian

Team,

Am leaving tonight for GOA by 9pm , normally am used to the Sankeshwar,Ajra,Amboli,Sawantwadi route but looking at the posts about the Chorla Ghat am very much tempted to try this but considering the night drive am a bit skeptical of getting lost

Members who have done the belgaum-piranwadi-jamboti-chorla-sanquelim-ponda , could you please shed some light if its ok to do the night drive as first timer on this route ? by this I mean as to whether there are proper indications on the route which could guide me ?

Have taken the Anmod Ghat route in the past but the Chorla route is new to me. what would you advice ? My main concern is that I should not miss the deviation at Piranwadi as looking at the posts this is a crucial junction that deviates from the NH4A

Please advice
Old 1st May 2013, 18:37   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Team,

Am leaving tonight for GOA by 9pm , normally am used to the Sankeshwar,Ajra,Amboli,Sawantwadi route but looking at the posts about the Chorla Ghat am very much tempted to try this but considering the night drive am a bit skeptical of getting lost

Members who have done the belgaum-piranwadi-jamboti-chorla-sanquelim-ponda , could you please shed some light if its ok to do the night drive as first timer on this route ? by this I mean as to whether there are proper indications on the route which could guide me ?

Have taken the Anmod Ghat route in the past but the Chorla route is new to me. what would you advice ? My main concern is that I should not miss the deviation at Piranwadi as looking at the posts this is a crucial junction that deviates from the NH4A

Please advice
I wouldnt reccomend the chorla route at night.It is way too isolated for a night drive,amboli would be a safer bet
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:47   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I wouldnt reccomend the chorla route at night.It is way too isolated for a night drive,amboli would be a safer bet
Thanks Ranjit,

Thought so myself so took the Amboli route ...would still like to try the Chorla route on my way back though during the day.

Cheers
Old 6th May 2013, 15:00   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post

Or

Same here...planning a road trip in mid-May. Have you done your trip? Which route did you take?
Old 6th May 2013, 15:05   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
Same here...planning a road trip in mid-May. Have you done your trip? Which route did you take?
The NH4A has been reported to be in decent shape nowThe Belgaum-Chorla route is also good now.The Hubli-Karwar-Madgaon route is also excellent.

If you havent used the Chorla route yet,then would be a good idea to take this route as its in pristine condition and the vistas are mind blowing.

NH4 till Belgaum,then at Piranwadi Cross turn towards Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 15:15   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you havent used the Chorla route yet,then would be a good idea to take this route as its in pristine condition and the vistas are mind blowing.
Thanks ranjitp1. This is my first road trip to Goa so all the routes are new :-). I'm travelling with 2 kids who are prone to motion sickness! So would you recommend any specific route considering the above factors
Old 6th May 2013, 15:24   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
Thanks ranjitp1. This is my first road trip to Goa so all the routes are new :-). I'm travelling with 2 kids who are prone to motion sickness! So would you recommend any specific route considering the above factors
All the sections have hair pin curves,as to get to goa you cannot avoid the ghat sections.All the routes are good to go for the moment.Maybe you could go via one and come back via another.Go via Chorla and come back via Amboli.I wouldnt reccomend entering the Chorla route after 5pm.
Old 6th May 2013, 15:51   #1047

Hi,

Which route is advisable between Goa and Pune if we want to stay overnight somewhere in between? From some posts, Kolhapur seemed like a feasible option but not sure if that's the only option or if there are more interesting options.

Thing is, we are making a road trip between Bangalore and Baroda and we want to cover as many places as possible on the way, so we wanted to break the journey between Goa-Pune in such a way that we are not driving for more than 4 hours at a stretch if possible.

Thanks..
Old 6th May 2013, 16:39   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neha View Post
Hi,

Which route is advisable between Goa and Pune if we want to stay overnight somewhere in between? From some posts, Kolhapur seemed like a feasible option but not sure if that's the only option or if there are more interesting options.

Thing is, we are making a road trip between Bangalore and Baroda and we want to cover as many places as possible on the way, so we wanted to break the journey between Goa-Pune in such a way that we are not driving for more than 4 hours at a stretch if possible.

Thanks..
I am sure you know,just to reiterate Goa to Pune is just 8-10hrs drive depending on where you start from in Goa.Nevertheless if you want to stay overnight,Belgaum and Kolhapur are the only good options.For a stay which is 4hours from Goa,Kolhapur is your best bet.Belgaum is only 150kms from Panjim 2.5-3hrs from Panjim.

Kolhapur hotels are Opal(on the NH4 itself),Raysons Regency,Ayodhya.

Belgaum:Eefa,Kshema Inn,Sankam Residency on NH4 (towards Bangalore),Sanman Deluxe
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 20:17   #1049
BHPian

OK here we go- fresh update from last week-
Amboli ghats-road under construction.
Roads- Kolhapur to Kankavli via Gaganbawda are good. Do that and then take the fantastic NH17 to Goa.
Southern approach- via Chorla to Ponda- beautiful between sunrise and sunset- no mining enjoy while you can...
Eitherways Opal and Ayodhya are a good place to stop/eat and rest for the night.
Old 6th May 2013, 21:33   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Update as on last week, route -> Pune-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Candolim.

Good road all the way till Goa. NH4 exit towards Gadhinglaj till Sawantwadi took ~30minutes less compared to Oct/Nov12. Approx. 20kms after Sawantwadi new toll booth at Goa charging 250/- for out of Goa registered vehicles, started from 15th Apr`13. Road between MH and GA checkpost almost done.

Surprisingly, weather was excellent, 21C@Pune 5:30am, 14.5C@Khedshivapur, 18C till Satara. Max. 33.5C @Goa, Min. 13.5C @Taswade for few mins.
I entered Goa from Pune via chorla ghat. The toll fee of Rs. 250 is too much. Even the toll for pune e-way is not this much. Why are they collecting this toll just for ghat road!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks