Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 19:10   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
which is the best route from GOA to PUNE/BOMBAY considering the road conditions,GOA-SAVANTWADI-AMBOLI-AJRA-SANKESHWAR-NH4 or via BELGAUM
Irwin
Sanquelim - chorla - belgaum ... I think Ranjit has mentioned it often enough and a friend told me about this a couple of days ago. If you do the route before me please update

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 13th May 2013 at 19:27.
Old 19th May 2013, 21:48   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
I entered Goa from Pune via chorla ghat. The toll fee of Rs. 250 is too much. Even the toll for pune e-way is not this much. Why are they collecting this toll just for ghat road!?
Target of 100cr of revenue annually, logic : we (outside Goa regd. vehicles) save lots of money on Diesel/Petrol in Goa. Bottom Line : milk the common man. NH4 have lots of toll booths with different toll charges depending on MH or KA. GA misses out on this as NH17 doesn't have that many toll booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
This is not a toll for the road.This is the entry tax into the state of Goa.1000 for heavy vhicles,500 for tempos,250 for cars and 100 for three wheelers.Wef April 15th this year.
+1, no tax on return irrespective of no. of days spent in Goa.
There is a provision of refund of the toll if one exit Goa within 04 hours.

Attached pic of the receipt :
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ga_receipt.jpg

Road update as on two days back :

Good roads throughout (pune-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-goa). Few sections of road till gadhinglaj widened. Many sections have six lane completed between pune-satara, multiple diversion but with good roads. There are few sections where six lane is completed but there are few where the six lane comes to an abrupt end without any sign board, so plz be careful.

Seen 6-7 accidents while going to Goa and around 4 while returning. Few road diversion were put up suddenly (because of accidents) with stones and difficult to notice unless very near, a Ritz had a narrow escape just manage to escape those stones at a very high speed, seen one truck and a indica, a m800 with head on collision with an suv, a verna on one of those incomplete 06 lane...

Goa was humid and mostly cloudy, shacks are gone and the remaining few are in the process of dismantling, but good time to spend in Goa with very few tourist, sea is rough though. Goa excise is suddenly active and MH too, noticed lots of MH registered cars stopped at respective check posts.

Finally an OT info, just in case you are interested - alphonso selling at 200/- per dozen @Gadhinglaj compared to 400/- per dozen @Pune

Last edited by AvonA7 : 19th May 2013 at 21:50.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:42   #1068
BHPian

Just back from Pune-Goa-Pune trip yesterday. As suggsted by many on tbhp, I took the Chorla route for onward journey (Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi Cross- Chorla-Sanquelim-Madgaon). This is a fantastic drive - superb roads, scenic surroundings, very less traffic. Esp. roads on Karnataka side are commendable. Roads on Goa side are good but not as much as KA.

I took the traditional Goa-Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajara-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar-Pune road. Overall road quality (till NH-4) is good but I'd prefer Chorla route now!

The most irrtating part of the drive is number of times you have to stop for tolls; completely slows down your travel. Also, tolls on MH side are ridiculously high compared to KA (Approx. Rs.300 in MH, Rs.30 in KA and Rs.250 for Goa). Luckily, I didn't have to pay while exiting Goa.

Credit to Google Navigator for finding directions so easy esp. within Belgaum and Goa.

A suggestion on fuel stations - there's a BPCL COCO station after Khed Shivapur - get a fulltank there and then refill only in Goa. Petrol is less than Rs.52 there. Had a funny incident at the pump - the guy put the hose in my fuel tank and when he was about to start, I shouted and asked him to stop. I only looked at the indicator on pump which read 51.91 and assumed he's putting diesel in my petrol car . The guy was stunned for a moment and then both of us realized and started laughing. In Pune, petrol was around Rs.50/lt a long time back, so not used to it anymore!!! In Goa diesel is costlier than petrol.

Regarding food stops my recommendations - Annapurna in Karad, Suruchi or Adarsha Palace in Belgaum, Vitthal Kamat in Amboli and ofcourse Opal in Kolhapur.

Overall, a great trip. Goa road-trip was on my agenda for a long time. Target accomplished

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th June 2013 at 18:02. Reason: Only two smileys per post please.
vineet_k21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 10:53   #1069
BHPian

I completed a Pune - Amboli - Goa - Ratnagiri - Pune trip last week. Roads are in good condition throughout. I tried Sawantwadi bypass on the way back, since I was heading towards Ratnagiri, and it is fantastic 4-lane road. There are no signs at all, though, and I managed to stay on course only by thinking that no road can be wider than NH17 in these parts of the world!

We found surprisingly good food just before Kudal (Hotel Arjun). The food was simple, delicious and service was quick and personalized.

I ended up driving on NH4 from 5pm onwards on a Sunday, for our return journey, and it was really painful. The traffic and chaos at all toll booths caused us enough headache. To add to the confusion there are diversions and six-lanes turning into four-lanes abruptly, without any warnings! Please drive carefully after dark...
Old 28th May 2013, 15:00   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
will take the Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Sanquelim route.
Cheers!
Back from Goa!
The Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Sanquelim route is simply fabulous. We left from Belgaum post dinner at around 1030pm, the road with all the reflectors put around is like driving in Diwali.

The road is mostly 2 lane, so got to be careful here, with roads like this, I saw Rally drivers in most of the vehicles some with Volvos as well

Do take this route, got some amazing scenery as well, which we witnessed on the way back.

I found it better to drive in the night, as you can make out oncoming vehicles easily.

Three to Four check posts on Goa side (on a single lane road - mind you), and one (forest check post) on Karnataka side with a surprise check somewhere in the Jungle around 15-20kms from Belgaum

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 09:29   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
Just back from Pune-Goa-Pune trip yesterday. As suggsted by many on tbhp, I took the Chorla route for onward journey (Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi Cross- Chorla-Sanquelim-Madgaon). This is a fantastic drive - superb roads, scenic surroundings, very less traffic. Esp. roads on Karnataka side are commendable. Roads on Goa side are good but not as much as KA.

I took the traditional Goa-Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajara-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar-Pune road. Overall road quality (till NH-4) is good but I'd prefer Chorla route now!
As of now, the Chorla route should be the best, one can stay on NH4 longer, all the way to Belgaum, now that Belgaum to Chorla is in good shape. Hopefully, it stays that way post monsoon.

What's the shortest route from NH4 to Piranwadi through Belgaum - I assume it would be the straight one that runs past Ramdev Hotel. What is the marker to leave NH4 to get into Belgaum via that route?
Old 30th May 2013, 12:00   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
As of now, the Chorla route should be the best, one can stay on NH4 longer, all the way to Belgaum, now that Belgaum to Chorla is in good shape. Hopefully, it stays that way post monsoon.

What's the shortest route from NH4 to Piranwadi through Belgaum - I assume it would be the straight one that runs past Ramdev Hotel. What is the marker to leave NH4 to get into Belgaum via that route?
The best is this route: https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...sz=17&t=m&z=17 goes past the lake and stay on the NH4A all the way till Piranwadi.If you miss this,then go ahead and take a u turn onto the service road followed by a left onto the Sankam Residency road and you connect back to the same road and follow the same NH4A
Old 30th May 2013, 13:21   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Hi Sawyer,

The road is not well marked, in fact you need to keep a constant watch for the turn for Belgaum as its easy to miss it.

It happened with us, we reached Belgaum at around 830pm, no lights make it even more difficult.

It was quiet surprising to see no exit markings for a city. We missed the turn and went ahead towards Hubli, then post the civilization vanishing again, thought of asking someone, a biker guided us towards the u-turn where the road is under construction/repair and we entered Belgaum through the far end.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 30th May 2013 at 13:22.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:34   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi Sawyer,

The road is not well marked, in fact you need to keep a constant watch for the turn for Belgaum as its easy to miss it.

It happened with us, we reached Belgaum at around 830pm, no lights make it even more difficult.

!
That's what I suspected from my memory of the place! I should be doing this earlier in the day, so it should be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
take a u turn onto the service road followed by a left onto the Sankam Residency road and you connect back to the same road and follow the same NH4A
Thank you. Many years ago I left NH4 in time to drive past Ramdev Hotel, and I remember that exiting Belgaum to Khanapur was then fairly straightforward, it is almost a straight road through after Ramdev via some circles/junctions.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:58   #1075
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just back in Bombay from Goa.
Used the Mapuca-Tivim-Assonora-Sanquelim-Chorla-Jamboti-Piranwadi-Belgaum road as was highly recommended here.
No complaints. The road was good right through.
You have to be very careful at Sanquelim where you have to take a sharp (90 degree) turn (immediately after the bridge) to get the Chorla road. The sign is there but in poor condition and can easily be missed at night.
When you take a right the road slopes down and you have to immediately take a right again to pass under the above mentioned bridge and proceed to Chorla ghat.
Distance from Mapuca to Belgaum was 110 Kms. Did this in 2 hours exactly. Could probably be done in less but as I was unfamiliar with the road I was going slow and checking each sign. Also loads of cattle on the road in the early morning.
From Piranwadi (entrance to Belgaum) to the turn off at Sankeshwar (for Gadhinglaj - which was the road most used before) took another 45 mins.
So, all in all the time taken was almost the same on both routes. However, I did lose a bit of time in Piranwadi/Belgaum as I had to keep stopping and asking directions.
The MMI GPS was totally useless.
Even in Belgaum it was giving wrong directions. Could this be because my maps are out of date? The set is just over a year old.
I will say however, that this new road is definitely better than the Gadhinglaj/Amboli/Sawantwadi road and I would definitely use this road again. However, as mentioned in previous posts, the road is quite lonely.
A friend of mine used the same road just two days prior to my leaving Goa and he took another road after Chorla to "Kankumbi" and then joined the NH4 at Belgaum. Said the road was shorter and also in excellent condition. I did see the turn off for Kankumbi but was reluctant to try it out. Has anyone else used this road. I think it is SH31.

Kind Regards,
SS

Last edited by suzuki san : 6th June 2013 at 20:02.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:12   #1076
Senior - BHPian

SS

I'm a bit confused. According to me this would be the route Mapuca-Thivim-Assonora-Bicholim-Sanquelim-Gulem-Chorla-Kankumbi-Left at (Fork of Jamboti)-Kusamali-Kinaye-Piranwadi Cross. Where did you go from Chorla to get to Jamboti. I can't seem to find any other road from there. Maybe Ranjit can add something to this

My MMI worked well to take me across Belgaum in the pouring rain. Just for that it was worth it. It took me round in circles at Piranwadi cross and then both times at Sanquelim most probably at the same place you speak about the 90 deg turn. I think there is a spot marked Datta Mandir here on the MMI. These two spots are the only points I had a problem with the MMI rest was superb. Even from the Thivim Main rd junction I reached Parra without going through Mapuca.
I took longer than you to reach Belgaum from Candolim cause I was enjoying the drive on the ghat got some pics while driving and also stopped at the top to get some more. I drove to Goa down the Chorla ghat in the dark. Yes it was a bit scary and I think someone up there must like me and saw to it that my steering rack didn't get jammed going down the chorla ghat, it happened when I drove out of home in Goa the day after reaching.
Maybe you could try updating the MMI I have a newer version I think
By the way I think there must be a road from bicholim to the NH17(Mapuca) via Aldona which I feel maybe shorter compared to going via Assonora and Thivim. Not sure though
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Just back in Bombay from Goa.
Used the Mapuca-Tivim-Assonora-Sanquelim-Chorla-Jamboti-Piranwadi-Belgaum road as was highly recommended here.
No complaints. The road was good right through.
You have to be very careful at Sanquelim where you have to take a sharp (90 degree) turn (immediately after the bridge) to get the Chorla road. The sign is there but in poor condition and can easily be missed at night.
When you take a right the road slopes down and you have to immediately take a right again to pass under the above mentioned bridge and proceed to Chorla ghat.

I will say however, that this new road is definitely better than the Gadhinglaj/Amboli/Sawantwadi road and I would definitely use this road again. However, as mentioned in previous posts, the road is quite lonely.
A friend of mine used the same road just two days prior to my leaving Goa and he took another road after Chorla to "Kankumbi" and then joined the NH4 at Belgaum. Said the road was shorter and also in excellent condition. I did see the turn off for Kankumbi but was reluctant to try it out. Has anyone else used this road. I think it is SH31.

Kind Regards,
SS

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 6th June 2013 at 21:16.
Old 7th June 2013, 09:20   #1077

Last week i drove from Pune to Goa via Belgaum. Absolutely wonderful drive.
From xpressway enter Belgaum - Chorla - Sanquelim (sankheli) - Banastari - Panjim.

Started at 6am from sadanand regency on Pune xpressway (after Wakad before Baner-balewadi). Had chai from road side stall (awesome). Stopped after Kolhapur at Sai Hotel for bfast (misal was ok, rava idli was good, chai decent, cheese dosa good, sabadana khichdi ok). Started by 9.45am after breakfast. I had planned on Nipani Sawantwadi route but with smooth xpressway overshot beyond Belgaum. Turned back to Belgaum looking at the map. Enquired in Belgaum & got this route : Chorla - Poriem - Sanquelim - Banastari - Panjim. Super road with very low traffic green canopy all through this section - From Chorla to Poriem. Reached Panjim by 2pm after course correction in Belgaum around 12 noon. There is a Goa entry toll to be paid around Rs.250/-.
pamymenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:07   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
SS

I'm a bit confused. According to me this would be the route Mapuca-Thivim-Assonora-Bicholim-Sanquelim-Gulem-Chorla-Kankumbi-Left at (Fork of Jamboti)-Kusamali-Kinaye-Piranwadi Cross. Where did you go from Chorla to get to Jamboti. I can't seem to find any other road from there. Maybe Ranjit can add something to this
Hi Deutsceafrikar,
To reach Jamboti I stayed on the main road and reached Jamboti and then Piranwadi and Belgaum. I never passed through Kankumbi as I did not take the left turn which was marked. (I think this left turn was just before two large speed breakers and had a sort of arch.) If I had turned left I would probably have been on the road you mentioned above.
We need to get more exact directions and next time when heading back to Goa I will write down the waypoints so as to make life easy for future users.

I will also take my GPS to the dealer and see if I can update the maps. Another frustrating thing it does is when I am entering Bombay and come in via Airoli it keeps telling me to U turn as it wants me to go via Vashi and Chembur. Only once we reach Airoli does it recalculate the route. Funnily enough it is very accurate in Andheri and knows all the small bylanes as well.

By the way, do you live in Candolim? Maybe we could meet up sometime. Steering rack getting seized! That's scary if it happened on the ghats. What's your ride?

Regards,
SS

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th June 2013 at 15:57. Reason: Fixing the quote tags
Old 8th June 2013, 03:41   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

Hi Deutsceafrikar,
To reach Jamboti I stayed on the main road and reached Jamboti and then Piranwadi and Belgaum. I never passed through Kankumbi as I did not take the left turn which was marked. (I think this left turn was just before two large speed breakers and had a sort of arch.) If I had turned left I would probably have been on the road you mentioned above.
Kankumbi is small village between Chorla and Jamboti. There is a forest check post here. There is no other route from Chorla to Jamboti.

For directions from NH4 to Chorla, the best Belgaum city route would be - NH4 exit (any one you take) - Channama Circle - Bogarves - fishmarket- congress road- Udyambag - piranwadi. This may be useful if you get lost in the city and have no navigation system. Hope it helps someone
swapnilup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 16:35   #1080
BHPian

Mumbai - Pune Expressway Update

Hey! Just back from Mumbai-Pune_Mumbai over the weekend (June 8-9,2013). It was raining throughout the return trip and the driving experience was exceptional.
Started from Pune at 4:03 PM and reached the exit of expressway at 5:58 PM. From there till Vashi naka took 1 hr30 mins. The Sion Panvel Highway was choked at Kamote, Kharghar, Nerul and APMC. Would suggest people take the diversion at CBD Belapur and reach Vashi.
Happy driving.
us.dash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks