Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 19:57   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

SS Good idea to both. Maybe you can also check what version is your MMI. I wonder if one can update it by paying online and downloading the new version. I had the same U turn problem at Piranwadi and Sanquelim and also in Bandra near the telephone exchange.
I drove in a M800 5Speed.

Here is a photo of the lovely road Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-dscn7043-jamboti-chorla.jpg just before night fall. Fortunately I didn't know about the tigers near/in the wildlife sanctuary until I reached Goa and read about this. Changed the steering in Candolim itself after I bought it at Porvorim from Govind Poy. Yep we'll meet up next time both are in Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
We need to get more exact directions and next time when heading back to Goa I will write down the waypoints so as to make life easy for future users.

I will also take my GPS to the dealer and see if I can update the maps. Another frustrating thing it does is when I am entering Bombay and come in via Airoli it keeps telling me to U turn as it wants me to go via Vashi and Chembur. Only once we reach Airoli does it recalculate the route. Funnily enough it is very accurate in Andheri and knows all the small bylanes as well.

By the way, do you live in Candolim? Maybe we could meet up sometime. Steering rack getting seized! That's scary if it happened on the ghats. What's your ride?

Regards,
SS
Swapnilup, You're right. Ranjit had mentioned that one should ask for the Rani Chennamma Circle and when I saw her statue I knew I was on the right track. Take a right from there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Kankumbi is small village between Chorla and Jamboti. There is a forest check post here. There is no other route from Chorla to Jamboti.

For directions from NH4 to Chorla, the best Belgaum city route would be - NH4 exit (any one you take) - Channama Circle - Bogarves - fishmarket- congress road- Udyambag - piranwadi. This may be useful if you get lost in the city and have no navigation system. Hope it helps someone

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 10th June 2013 at 20:06.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:12   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Mumbai - Pune Expressway Update

Hey! Just back from Mumbai-Pune_Mumbai over the weekend (June 8-9,2013). It was raining throughout the return trip and the driving experience was exceptional.
Started from Pune at 4:03 PM and reached the exit of expressway at 5:58 PM. From there till Vashi naka took 1 hr30 mins. The Sion Panvel Highway was choked at Kamote, Kharghar, Nerul and APMC. Would suggest people take the diversion at CBD Belapur and reach Vashi.
Happy driving.
+1 to that. Use Palm Beach road. Wish I had seen this post on Saturday, though. Would not have spent 30 min in this mess near Nerul on Sunday afternoon...

Another update - take extra care while crossing the first diversion (Rahatani) after exiting the e-way on Pune side. There are huge potholes on the service road, and I managed to scrape the bottom of my innova there.

Off-topic: It rained heavily all the way through, and waterfalls (not landslide!) blocked one lane of e-way just before Adoshi tunnel (towards Mumbai).
Old 18th June 2013, 12:04   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Do the following sound about right?

Pune departure at 5 am.

Pass Kolhapur after allowing 30 mins for breakfast by 8 30 am.

Pass through Belgaum by 9 45 am.

Reach Mapusa via Chorla by 11 45 am.

Essentially, get to North Goa by around noon.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:11   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Do the following sound about right?

Pune departure at 5 am.

Pass Kolhapur after allowing 30 mins for breakfast by 8 30 am.

Pass through Belgaum by 9 45 am.

Reach Mapusa via Chorla by 11 45 am.

Essentially, get to North Goa by around noon.
Easily done.Factor in another hour or two maybe,if the rains get too bad.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:46   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
One more hour to get to Mapusa.
While passing through Sanquelim, you can check out Rudreshwar (harvalem falls) which are 3km from Sanquelim. Quite pretty.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:52   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be doing this post monsoons - thanks.
Old 26th June 2013, 16:45   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit and the gang. (this sounds good) I was wondering if anyone knows the good and the bad route. Actually how is the NH4A at the moment going from belgaum to south goa
Cheers
Old 26th June 2013, 16:52   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjit and the gang. (this sounds good) I was wondering if anyone knows the good and the bad route. Actually how is the NH4A at the moment going from belgaum to south goa
Cheers
NH4A patched up.Chorla good.Radhanagari potholed at some points,gaganbawda potholed from what I last heard.in short most of the roads into Goa are average to good.nothing is non-motorable for the moment.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:24   #1089
BHPian

Planning to visit Malvan, Sawantwadi next week. Can recent travellers to Goa suggest a better road between either Radhanagari-Phonda Ghat OR Gaganbawada Ghat?

Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 15:07   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
SS

I'm a bit confused. According to me this would be the route Mapuca-Thivim-Assonora-Bicholim-Sanquelim-Gulem-Chorla-Kankumbi-Left at (Fork of Jamboti)-Kusamali-Kinaye-Piranwadi Cross.
==================
Maybe you could try updating the MMI I have a newer version I think
By the way I think there must be a road from bicholim to the NH17(Mapuca) via Aldona which I feel maybe shorter compared to going via Assonora and Thivim. Not sure though
Cheers
The road to Mapuca from Bicholim via Aldona is around the same distance (3.2 Kms less) but you pass through some spectacular scenery on this route. It is also less crowded. But you need to know the turn-offs. Having GPS helps. The road is also a single track and not maintained.
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:26   #1091
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone travelled to Goa recently viz. in the last couple of days on the Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Chorla road? I have heard reports of torrential rain in Goa and that the roads (don't know exactly which one but there was mention of Rajapur Ghat) have been closed.
Am leaving for Goa early tomorrow so if anyone can give me an update it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:13   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Planning to visit Malvan, Sawantwadi next week. Can recent travellers to Goa suggest a better road between either Radhanagari-Phonda Ghat OR Gaganbawada Ghat?

Thanks
I would prefer Radhanagari to Gaganbawda. The latter is decent, but desolate.
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:21   #1093
BHPian

Hi suzuki san,

I did travel to Goa in April this year. My route was as below:

Pune - Kolhapur - Dharwad - Londa ghat - Goa.

Roads in Londa ghat were good and goes through forest regions.
Old 4th July 2013, 02:02   #1094
BHPian

Left Ajara at 6 pm, reached Pune now. The route is fine and did not encounter any rains, since I started my journey.

I have been travelling just short of Amboli for the last few days organizing health camps in the villages there, the roads are fine, the better route to get to Goa, instead of NH17.

A word of advice, I saw very many vehicles doing dangerous speeds in the Nippani -Amboli road. Its a two lane road, can't even call it a highway. And there are villages alongside, anyone driving here in excess of 60, I putting themselves and the locals at risk.

Drive safe.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 4th July 2013 at 02:04. Reason: typo
Old 4th July 2013, 23:03   #1095
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.
Arrived in Goa this afternoon. Just a few showers along the way but some heavy on the Chorla Ghat.
Road condition :
1. The stretch from Poona to Satara has deteriorated quite a bit in the last month. Lots of pockmarks (rough patches) and some potholes as well which could catch you unawares. There are at least 8 diversions on this stretch and some major potholes on these "diversion service roads". After Satara where there is more concrete than asphalt the roads are good and you can maintain high speeds.
2. I got lost trying to find the entry to Belgaum and on to Piranwadi. The MMI GPS was totally useless. Finally the locals guided me to the right road after going through some narrow gullies and market places! So, sadly I will not be able to post proper directions this time for future users. Will try again next time.
3. Once out of Piranwadi and heading to Jamboti and the Chorla ghat the road is very good. However, not as good as it was just a month ago so the rains have taken their toll. Again, quite a few pockmarks and some potholes as well. One can avoid most of them. Just about 500m before the toll booth where you pay the entry tax for Goa there is a fairly rough patch of about 30m. Once you enter Goa the roads are excellent. However, look out for speed breakers. Most of them are marked but some are not. Between the entry point and Mapuca there must be at least 20 speed breakers.

All in all, an uneventful run. Took nine and a half hours total.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks