Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:59   #1171
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My uncle drove down to Pune last night from Bangalore. Took him 13 hours with a dinner break at Kolhapur.

He reported the road from Satara to Pune is bad. It was his comment: "Not worth the toll money they ask for at all."
Totally agree!! I have been doing Kolhapur Pune for the past few years and the road stretch around Satara was never ever in such a bad shape. There is literally no road that exist for certain parts especially just before Satara and near some toll booths. The "Limb Khind" is as usual a hopeless place to drive. Absolutely not worth the money that we are paying, the toll here is a daylight robbery. I do understand that there is some construction work is going on, but that is no excuse at all when you pay hefty toll.
Road has become little tolerable from Pune to Satara (in that direction) as comapred to the condition during monsoon but the reverse direction is hopeless.
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:48   #1172
BHPian

Did the Mumbai Pune kolhapur Belgaum chorla south goa drive with family on my Yeti on 11 Oct. travel time 9.5 hours, total time taken 12 hours with breaks at Pune and just before kolhapur. Bad stretches of road only at Pune bypass road and a little bit in the stretch around Satara, but nothing too painful. Karnataka side of the chorla road was an absolute dream to drive. Goa side has some bad roads, with a couple of red sand and stone stretches. However, that stretch is half hour max so wasn't too troubled by it. Also, it Raines very
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:46   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ True.
The Pune-Karad stretch is better than Karad-Pune Stretch.

Just in and around Satara, the roads are very bad due to construction work but nothing more than 15-20 mins drive there.

More than the road condition, the pathetic behavior of the drivers/ two wheelers on this stretch will irritate you! That is where you spend more time and get stressed but you can easily stick to 80-100 kmph speeds, occasionally 120 as well.
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:59   #1174
BHPian

Sorry, did a half post. To continue, Returned via the amboli ajra road to Pune on 16th Oct and was very disappointed with the road. While I was able to maintain decent speeds with the yeti the road itself was uniformly mediocre and kind of took away the joy of driving. The scenery around amboli and the countryside made up somewhat. Time taken was around 8 hours not including one break at Kaveri Restt where the amboli road meets NH4.

I would really like to thank everybody who recommended the chorla route. I also want to share that I didn't find the Satara road that bad, actually cannot recall any stretch where I had to go below 60. There were some underpasses being built but that's only a minor bother.
Old 26th October 2013, 16:17   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that the Chorla route has survived the monsoons. I am looking forward to using it for a Goa drive early in December. Hopefully by then the Pune Satara stretch will be in better shape.
If one gets off NH4 at the right place, the drive through Belgaum is quite straightforward.
For going to the Mapusa area, it should be a better drive than via Ajra, although I expect there won't be any time saving or penalty.
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:05   #1176
ppr
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to do Mumbai - Kolhapur - Goa - Mangalore - Mumbai.

1. Last year I drove up to Goa. I did Kolhapur - Gadhinglaj - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa. Is the Chorla road better than this?

2. While returning from Mangalore to Mumbai, which road should I take?

Thanks
ppr
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:13   #1177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
1. Last year I drove up to Goa. I did Kolhapur - Gadhinglaj - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa. Is the Chorla road better than this?
Chorla is definitely better. Another reason is because its gets you 4-lane till Belgaum from Kolhapur. And this is apart from the good ghat roads around Chorla.

Quote:
2. While returning from Mangalore to Mumbai, which road should I take?
Mangalore-Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Thirthalli-Shimoga-Honnali-Harihar. You get 4 lane from Harihar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:33   #1178
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chorla is definitely better. Another reason is because its gets you 4-lane till Belgaum from Kolhapur. And this is apart from the good ghat roads around Chorla.

Mangalore-Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Thirthalli-Shimoga-Honnali-Harihar. You get 4 lane from Harihar.
Are you sure the roads are good unto Shimoga? In the Coorg thread, some were complaining (albeit in old posts) that the road is not great in parts. Also I remember that the Agumbe ghat used to be pretty steep unto Tirthahalli.

Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:41   #1179
ppr
BHPian

I just saw the route on Google maps. I am actually leaving from Bantwal so this route seems to make even more sense. I can do Bantwal - Karkala - Tirthahalli - Shimoga- Harihar. How is the current condition of this road?

Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:48   #1180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just saw the route on Google maps. I am actually leaving from Bantwal so this route seems to make even more sense. I can do Bantwal - Karkala - Tirthahalli - Shimoga- Harihar. How is the current condition of this road?

Thanks
I dont know how is Karkala-Agumbe. But Udupi-Hebri is a rough stretch of about 30km.

Agumbe ghats are minimal. Thirthahalli-Shimoga is very good roads. Some bad stretches around Shimoga-Harihar.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2013 at 09:50.
Old 2nd November 2013, 09:53   #1181
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know how is Karkala-Agumbe. But Udupi-Hebri is a rough stretch of about 30km.

Agumbe ghats are minimal. Thirthahalli-Shimoga is very good roads. Some bad stretches around Shimoga-Harihar.
I will not get Udupi Hebri at all. This will go Bantwal - Moodabidri - Karkala - Tirthahalli. Any idea about this road, anyone?

Thanks
ppr
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:12   #1182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will not get Udupi Hebri at all. This will go Bantwal - Moodabidri - Karkala - Tirthahalli. Any idea about this road, anyone?

Thanks
ppr
An old old TL that may be of help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-kukke-2.html

Latest road condition should be found here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-321.html
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:33   #1183
ppr
BHPian

Mumbai Kolhapur done today. One halt for 15 min. Took 6 hrs. Road condition not bad but not as good as last year. Lot of roadwork going on.
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:08   #1184
Senior - BHPian

@ppr: Keep posting the updates. My friend is going to Goa next week and I am heading towards Coorg, the week after. So, all updates from your side are going to help us.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:40   #1185
BHPian

Did Pune-Belgaum-Goa yesterday via the Chorla Route. As mentioned in one of the posts on this thread, the section from Belgaum to Chorla is absolutely amazing to drive on. Once you enter Goa, the road is bad for about 10-12 kms and average for the next 10-12 kms. After that its good again. Saw signs of repair work in the bad sections and the guy at the Goa entry tax booth told me it should be done up within the next month or two. Will definitely use the same route for getting back to Pune. Total distance Belgaum to Panaji via Chorla is 115 kms.
suniladhiya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed