Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 15:03   #1261

Anyone did the Chandgad- Tillari route recently? Planning a trip in the 1st week of February and thinking of doing this route as I have explored all other routes to Goa in the past.
Old 5th January 2014, 23:45   #1262
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Even going to South Goa, I am not sure that Chorla is faster. Getting into Goa from Sawantwadi, one can be on wider/faster roads all the way till Margao for sure. Hinterland Goa roads from Sanquelim in any direction are narrow, pass through many villages, and allow for much slower progress.

The road quality of the Ajra route versus the Chorla route is comparable overall, and one avoids Belgaum traffic completely.
+1, though am tempted to take the Chorla route reading all posts. But considered these things ... like crossing Belgaum during traffic hours, + 10-15kms of bad roads near GA border. The S'kshwr-Ajra-Amboli route is better from end Nov (had experience of driving just after monsoon and it was horrible). Yes, it passes through lots of villages and narrow roads with lots of curves/villages/sugar-cane traffic.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:19   #1263
BHPian

Hey guys need a bit of your advice :
I am going to Goa on the 22nd of this month,have to reach South Goa by 23rd morning 11.00am,so am planning to leave mumbai by 5.00pm halt at Kolhapur for the night and continue next day morning to Goa.
Could you guys recommend a nice hotel in kolhapur touching the highway?

Also any advice regarding changes in the route or time of departure are welcome.(cannot leave before 4 as I have college)
Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2014, 19:53   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Could you guys recommend a nice hotel in kolhapur touching the highway?
Hotel Sai International (http://www.hotelsaiinternational.com/index.html) about ~25kms before Kolhapur exit on LHS of NH4 is recommended. I have used this couple of times and was always satisfied. There is some noise (from fast moving trucks/buses) in the night but, one can live with it.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 20:23   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
+1, though am tempted to take the Chorla route reading all posts. But considered these things ... like crossing Belgaum during traffic hours, + 10-15kms of bad roads near GA border. The S'kshwr-Ajra-Amboli route is better from end Nov (had experience of driving just after monsoon and it was horrible). Yes, it passes through lots of villages and narrow roads with lots of curves/villages/sugar-cane traffic.
A simple option would be to try both the routes like I did last thursday. Went by Chorla route and returned by Sawantwadi route. Once one has travelled both the routes, a fair idea would emerge. the roads are no where bad in Chorla as it was in Amboli ghat ( personal experience 4 days back drive) and it is a short distance ( less than 10 Kms) and Belgaum it is one road to follow to reach the other side ( I mean there are no much turns etc, but one has to follow the main road and yes traffic during rush hour will be there, but I guess it is nothing like the Pune / Mumbai traffic). But the smooth roads more than compensate for all one has to go through this route. and distance from Both Chorla route and Sawantwadi route to a reference point -Vasco or Cortalim at south Goa is very much identical. Perception differs as our driving habits differ and I would love to drive through chorla ghat in future again during any drives up north and Amboli-Sawantwadi route some how fails to enthuse me.
Old 11th January 2014, 00:10   #1266
BHPian

Recently did a trip to Goa:

1. Left Pune at 5:30 AM. Katraj ghat has been patched up contrary to how it has been over the passed few months.

2. NH 4 till Kolhapur can surprise you with roads ranging from good to bad to sudden potholes and lots of diversions.
[In comparison the roads on the return journey on this section are much better]

3. Beyond Kolhapur needless to say the quality to NH improves till Nipani.

4. The Nipani- Uttur - Ajara section has been redone and there is not a single pothole. The ride however can get ugly and bumpy at high speeds.

5. Amboli ghat section is still in terrible shape possibly due to the heavy rains the region received this monsoon.

6. Its a cruise after Sawantwadi right upto Mapusa.

Reached Mapusa by 12:30 .
7 hour Journey inclusive of a 45 min break at McDonalds- Kohlapur.
Sleeplessdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 11:14   #1267
Max
BHPian

Guys, just returned from goa trip. Took following route both sides and road conditions was very good.

MUMBAI > PUNE > KHOLAPUR > TAVANADI > UTTUR > AJARA > AMBOLI > SAWANTWADI > ANJUNA GOA.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad1.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad5.jpg

While going had lunch at Hotel Amar (Pure veg) at TAVANADI (turn for nippani ajra link rd). Clean restrooms + wash basin + soap available at this hotel. Hotel was full, Food taste was good and price was fair (about Rs.160-200/dish). There was no place in air conditioned area so we sat outside in lawn area. Don't sit in open lawn in this hotel there was too many fly's outside. IMO order Paneer tikka masala + roti and don't order pull av etc.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad2.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad3.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad4.jpg

Beautiful goa beach.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad6.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad7.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad8.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad9.jpg
Vagator beach.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad10.jpg
Indica Garden outside "Indian Story" shop at Mapusa - Anjuna main road.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajraroad11.jpg

While returning had lunch at Kholapur KFC. Nice Foods + Clean Restrooms + awesome perfumed soap + friendly staff + nice parking. Everything was very neat and clean. Fantastic stop.

Last edited by Max : 13th January 2014 at 11:17.
Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 18:36   #1268
BHPian

I will be doing Mumbai-Kolhapur this Wednesday and Kolhapur-Goa on Thursday, anyone doing the same route at the same time?
Would be good to have some company.
Will be leaving Mumbai at around 4.00pm and stopping for the night at Shree Sai International Sangli as recommended by a fellow bhpian.
If anyone is going at the same day kindly pm me.
Thanks.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:24   #1269
BHPian

In recent past has anyone traveled on Kolhapur-Gagan bawda-karul ghat-Viabhav wadi section?
if yes, how is the road between Kolhapur and Gagan Bawda?
Old 21st January 2014, 15:54   #1270
BHPian

I had traveled a few months back to Gagan Bawda. THe road till g'bawda is ok, the problem starts after g;bawda. THe road in ghat section is heard to be not in good condition. However the recommended road depends on your end location, where you want to go.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:16   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I had traveled a few months back to Gagan Bawda. THe road till g'bawda is ok, the problem starts after g;bawda. THe road in ghat section is heard to be not in good condition. However the recommended road depends on your end location, where you want to go.
Thanks @Figopian. Ghat section is generally ok. During My last visit in May 2013 Road between Kolhapur and Gagan Bawda was not in good condition. Destination being Malvan no other route is convenient. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat road is in perpetually bad condition also it is lonely for single car to travel between Radhanagari and Dajipur.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:15   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Thanks @Figopian. Ghat section is generally ok. During My last visit in May 2013 Road between Kolhapur and Gagan Bawda was not in good condition. Destination being Malvan no other route is convenient. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat road is in perpetually bad condition also it is lonely for single car to travel between Radhanagari and Dajipur.
I took the Radhanagari-Phonda ghat road in November 2013 to go to Vengurle. I agree the road is not in good condition, however it is not that lonely as compared to Gaganbawda road. If you are confident about the ghat section, you can prefer Gagabawada. I went to G'Bawda during monsoon (August 2013) and the road till G'bawda was ok, at least not bad.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:20   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Destination being Malvan no other route is convenient. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat road is in perpetually bad condition also it is lonely for single car to travel between Radhanagari and Dajipur.
why dont you take Kumbharli ghat from Karad to Chiplun and then NH17? Except for a small patch around Patan, that route is usually very good.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:08   #1274
BHPian

Another route I can suggest is via Amba Ghat. It will add only about 20 KMs to the direct distance, but the ghat roads are very good. There are intermittent rough patches (particularly in a distance of about 10 kms between Malkapur and Amba ghat top). The route goes thru some small and hilly roads though. I personally enjoy them and the greenery around, but will depend on your and passengers' preference.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:16   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Destination being Malvan no other route is convenient.
Another option for you is to go via Amba ghat, which generally is in decent condition, as it is the preferred route for Kolhapur-Ratnagiri traffic. In Google maps, Pune-Malvan via Amba ghat is approx 430 kms, and via Gagan Bawda/Radhanagari is approx 400 kms.

EDIT: Looks like Musaafir beat me to the Amba Ghat suggestion

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd January 2014 at 13:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks