Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 17:07   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just back from a Goa visit in the Nano. Out via Chorla, 8.5 hours driving time. Back via Amboli, 8 hours. Both ways, the road to Goa has never been as good as it is now.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 23:53   #1277

Will be travelling to Goa on the 2 nd of Feb. Hope to catch fellow bhpians en route. Anyone travelling the same route on the mentioned date please let me know
Old 4th February 2014, 17:07   #1278
BHPian

Any update on the Toll Booths between Pune & Satara. Has the toll collection stopped after the protests or is it still on?
Old 4th February 2014, 17:20   #1279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Any update on the Toll Booths between Pune & Satara. Has the toll collection stopped after the protests or is it still on?
The toll collection is very much on. I guess the toll at khed shivapur has reduced. Not really sure...
Old 5th February 2014, 17:42   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
why dont you take Kumbharli ghat from Karad to Chiplun and then NH17? Except for a small patch around Patan, that route is usually very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Another route I can suggest is via Amba Ghat. It will add only about 20 KMs to the direct distance, but the ghat roads are very good. There are intermittent rough patches (particularly in a distance of about 10 kms between Malkapur and Amba ghat top). The route goes thru some small and hilly roads though. I personally enjoy them and the greenery around, but will depend on your and passengers' preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I took the Radhanagari-Phonda ghat road in November 2013 to go to Vengurle. I agree the road is not in good condition, however it is not that lonely as compared to Gaganbawda road. If you are confident about the ghat section, you can prefer Gagabawada. I went to G'Bawda during monsoon (August 2013) and the road till G'bawda was ok, at least not bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Another option for you is to go via Amba ghat, which generally is in decent condition, as it is the preferred route for Kolhapur-Ratnagiri traffic. In Google maps, Pune-Malvan via Amba ghat is approx 430 kms, and via Gagan Bawda/Radhanagari is approx 400 kms.

EDIT: Looks like Musaafir beat me to the Amba Ghat suggestion

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Figopian, selfdrive, Musaafir and comfortablynumb.. for 4/5 days before going I was travelling elsewhere (not in car) and had no net connectivity. So missed most replys.

However, I completed my trip as..

Left Pune on 2nd morning 0605 hrs and travelled to Ponda, Goa via Belgaum, Chorla Ghat.. I reached at 1330 so 7 hrs 25 minutes.. Stops - 5 minutes at Virangula, 20 minutes at Sai International and 5 minutes in Belgaum. So driving time 6 hrs 55 minutes.(This must be a record for rather slow driver like me ) Somehow, At all toll points in Maharashtra there were hardly one or two vehicles in queue before me and that saved a lot of time.

Road quality between Satara and Chorla is excellent. before Satara in has number of diversions and in Satara bypass section road surface is worn out.

After Chorla, road is worn out in patches but no potholes. What irritates is frequent occurrence or speed breakers in Goa between 'fee post' and Sanquelim.

Road between Jamboti and Chorla is very enjoyable.

Returned on 3rd .. Road taken was ..Ponda, Panaji, Patradevi, Kudal, Nerur, Malvan, Achra, Munge, Achra, Kanakvli, Talere, Gagan Bawda, Kolhapur, Pune. Left Ponda 1140 and with nine stops ranging from 3 minutes to 45 minutes reached Pune at 0120 hrs.

Konkan roads are all good except some patches in Nerur-Malvan Section. Gagan Bawda - Kolhapur section is all worn out. Driving on it is like riding over an unending rumble strip. As you enter Kolhapur - the road from Rankala Chowpati and Rankala bus stand is worse urban road I have ever seen. It is potholes only with patches of asphalt left in between.

Worst part again is between Satara and Pune. The road has no aids for night driving. No wonder number of accidents are taking place. There are patches where you are almost driving blind with very little clue where the road is heading to. Condition worsens if a vehicle is approaching from other side with its headlights full on. The contractor/ authorities must put retro reflective edge marking if we need to save some lives and limbs.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 21:44   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

Worst part again is between Satara and Pune. The road has no aids for night driving. No wonder number of accidents are taking place. There are patches where you are almost driving blind with very little clue where the road is heading to. Condition worsens if a vehicle is approaching from other side with its headlights full on. The contractor/ authorities must put retro reflective edge marking if we need to save some lives and limbs.
You are bang on!! That is the reason I have been avoiding night driving for the last couple of years on this stretch. Some of my friends say I am getting older, and thats ok. Nothing values more than safety of me and my family. THis stretch is best avoided during nights. I wonder why the hell we pay toll on this road. At least the drive after 7:00 PM should be toll free till sunrise, what say?
Old 6th February 2014, 11:14   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
You are bang on!! That is the reason I have been avoiding night driving for the last couple of years on this stretch. Some of my friends say I am getting older, and thats ok. Nothing values more than safety of me and my family. THis stretch is best avoided during nights. I wonder why the hell we pay toll on this road. At least the drive after 7:00 PM should be toll free till sunrise, what say?
@Figopian, I agree with you and a step further, even during the daytime, toll should be reduced to 50% or better still, no toll till they complete the road. That will actually help expedite the work that is lingering for more than three years now.
Old 7th February 2014, 21:32   #1283
BHPian

Pune Chiplun route

Hello - I know this does not fall under the Mumbai - Goa sector (!), but, I would like to know which route is best considering road conditions (Ghat sections)?

I understand that following routes are available:
(1) Go on NH4 all the way till Karad and then via Patan.
(2) Follow NH4 till Kapurhol and then to Bhor and take NH17 from Mahad till Chiplun
(3) Paud Tamhini Ghat and join NH17 at Mangaon till Chiplun.
Old 8th February 2014, 21:54   #1284

I'd suggest straight on the Mumbai Pune Kolhapur and then turn and join in at Pali on the Bombay Goa Highway. Then continue onwards on the Patalganga bypass. This would be a good way to go, I think. I'd enjoy the drive.

But yes, there's the Amba Ghat in between. Some people choose the Chorla ghat way.

I'd enjoy the one I suggested. You get straight-line driving on the express way and the glorious NH17. You can directly come out at Sawantvadi too, I think. But I'm not sure how.

Do keep us posted as to your route.

Regards,
G P
Old 14th February 2014, 22:36   #1285

Just came back from GOA. While going took the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Chorla-South Goa route and the road is in excellent condition. On return took the South Goa- Sawant Wadi-Amboli-Ajra-Kolhapur-Mumbai route, The road around Amboli is not that smooth as compared to Chorla and has some worn out patches in ghat section and around it.
Old 26th February 2014, 15:02   #1286
BHPian

Came back from Goa to Indore . I did the Satara Pune Road in the night and it was really Horrible. Took me ages to get to Katraj. Approx 50 kms before puna got so tired that i took a power nap enroute for 45 mins and then only was able to move ahead.

Also the Left lane of the road (Pune-Satara side) is much much better than the one while coming into pune.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:00   #1287
BHPian

Last week I traveled to Hubli. I have mentioned about road till Belgaum in my earlier post.

I know I should not add this into this part as it does not lead to Goa. Still..Just to add..

Belgaum Hubli is a wonderful experience. Perhaps the best on Indian roads I have used till day. recently six laned and they have put reflectors on the lane markings too. That shows you the path beautifully during the night and being little protruded discourages frequent lane changing even during day time.

Just beautiful.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:53   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavtol View Post
Also the Left lane of the road (Pune-Satara side) is much much better than the one while coming into pune.
True! This section has been horrible since over a year now, but then again, what you experienced now was an improved version. It was worse than this a few months back.

Hopefully once all the road work is completed, it should be better.
Old 1st March 2014, 07:40   #1289
BHPian

Just returned from 2 day trip to Kolhapur.

Road condition from Satara to Kolhapur (especially from Karad to Kolhapur) is in very good condition. However, from Pune to Satara is average. I am not sure why they are charging toll for a road which is full of patches, pot holes at many places.

Caution: There are few speed breakers with no white strip indicator in the Pune - Satara stretch (both ways)

Also noticed one thing while returning from Kolhapur to Pune, road noise is more - maybe due to the fact that the tar roads were not finished with smooth bitumen.

We stayed in kolhapur at Hotel Atria. I would strongly recommend this hotel for someone looking at range of Rs.2200 to Rs.2500. AC rooms were clean and quiet. Food including complimentary buffet breakfast was good. Parking is available beyond the hotel though it is not proper parking...parking in open space. The hotel is run by same hospitality group which runs the Tourist.
Old 4th March 2014, 11:17   #1290
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I am planning a night drive to north goa on 28th March from Mumbai. I have a few key questions - kindly me help

Plan to start around 10 pm from Goregaon - so will get off NH4 during the night - now please let me know which route should I prefer amboli or the chorla one? The considerations are :

1. I dont mind travelling a little longer.
2. I prefer ghats that have a little more margin for error
3. Lesser the nausea - better the ghat as far as I am concerned, last time i descended amboli in November I was feeling shaken and stirred both - surprisingly did not feel nauseating while ascending!!!

Looking forward to your replied

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks