Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 14:46   #1381
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
So the question is, are there any contrary views/ experiences that testify falseness in late hour travel risk on chorala route?
Chorla is going to be pitch dark and totally isolated after sunset,hence the reccomendation not to use the route after dark also the dense forests are not exactly what you want to be driving through in the dark.No issues reported so far afaik.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:56   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
I never had to drive through Chorala before dawn or after dusk. Although the roads are amazing, everything is just ideal, localites always warn us against driving on that stretch in night.

So the question is, are there any contrary views/ experiences that testify falseness in late hour travel risk on chorala route?
Hi Abirnale,

Yes, I have a totally contradictory view and I was in a similar dilemma last year when I was travelling through Chorla for the first time.

Having left from Pune at 430pm, we reached Belgaum at 930pm in our i10, travelling with wife, kid, niece and MIL.

After looking around for a good restaurant and at the same time asking people on how to reach Peeranwadi (last year there were very few people who taken this route).

We finished dinner by 10pm and I asked the restaurant manager on the way to Peeranwadi and he scared the hell out of me by saying things like

- Are you sure you want to venture into the jungle at this hour?
- You need to have some daring to do this
- Do it at your own risk
- If I were you, I would not travel with ladies in the night

Yes, he said all the above.

Finally I was confused enough to look for some accomodation which this very guy was willing to provide me. The tariff was 1500Rs for a family room, which he wanted to give me for Rs.3200 (stating that rate chart is not updated)

Finally at 11pm got into a discussion with MIL and Wife on what should we do and took a call to drive through

Result - absolutely stunning.

The road is a treat to drive on, with the reflectors its reminiscent of Diwali at night. Traffic is pretty healthy as well, there were many vehicles which were returning to Karnataka, net net didn't feel scared at any time.

Absolutely safe to drive.

After you cross Peeranwadi, there is a police checkpost, they take down details of the car and its occupants (they maintain a register)

From that time on-wards, it has always been the Chorla route that we take and its mostly in the night. Our last trip in December took us to South Goa, so we took the Khanapur route which we crossed between 2-5am.

My next trip is slated for second week of May and we plan to reach Goa by 1-2am, night stretch again, will update post return

I think few factors are important before you undertake a night journey

- Area where you're travelling to (notoriety)
- Your experience and confidence in night traveling

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 16:04   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Chorla is going to be pitch dark and totally isolated after sunset,hence the reccomendation not to use the route after dark also the dense forests are not exactly what you want to be driving through in the dark.No issues reported so far afaik.
Hi Ranjit
How right you are, been there twice after sundown on the Chorla road. Just prayed that my car wouldn't stall nor should I get a flat there. Between the Amboli & chorla I'd prefer Amboli in the dark.

Here is a pic of the bad road from Ramnagar to Anmod Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ramnagar-mollem.jpg

Cheers
Old 29th April 2014, 23:42   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Nothing against Chorla but why are people trashing the Amboli route? Agreed it's not silky smooth but I was able to make good speeds in my Nano, plus there's a bypass road which takes you to Banda from the Amboli road, no need to go through Sawantwadi.
Old 30th April 2014, 01:10   #1385

I am going from Pune to Goa via the Chorla route to Goa. Reading the posts in here have all details with me. Plan to leave at 4am and should reach Baga by around 2:30pm.

However, I am not sure about which route is the best for the return journey. I intend to leave North Goa ( Baga) on Sunday 4th at 9am.

Below is the route preference
1. would prefer a less steep slopes when choosing between ghats.
2. do not mind covering more road if road condition is good and pleasurable.
3. would prefer not to drive on highway at night. Reach Pune outside by 7pm

I would be driving > 400km in a day for first time and so I am being a little cautious. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Old 30th April 2014, 08:49   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I was able to make good speeds in my Nano, plus there's a bypass road which takes you to Banda from the Amboli road, no need to go through Sawantwadi.
Did you go via the bypass? How good is the surface and has the road been widened for two cars to pass each other with one not having to back up or go off the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivendra2111 View Post
However, I am not sure about which route is the best for the return journey. I intend to leave North Goa ( Baga) on Sunday 4th at 9am.

Below is the route preference
1. would prefer a less steep slopes when choosing between ghats.
2. do not mind covering more road if road condition is good and pleasurable.
3. would prefer not to drive on highway at night. Reach Pune outside by 7pm.
I feel the Chorla ghat is less steep and has much less traffic compared to the Amboli. But both ways you'd reach back to pune before sunset. Maybe you could try the Amboli on the return since it's the straight NH17 out of Goa and then a right turn after the bus stand at Sawantwadi. On the Chorla route you have to get through Belgaum city
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 09:41   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going from Pune to Goa via the Chorla route to Goa. Reading the posts in here have all details with me. Plan to leave at 4am and should reach Baga by around 2:30pm.

I would be driving > 400km in a day for first time and so I am being a little cautious. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
I think you should try one way Chorala and other via Amboli. Both routes are optimum for north goa visit.

Not sure which car, but you should be fine with 400km without any issues.

You have to be on highway until tawandi if taking amboli route or reach belgaum if taking chorala. For the timing you are targeting, you would see little to medium traffic between Satara to Kagal. No issues whatsoever.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 10:01   #1388

Moderatore note: Please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

Quote:
I think you should try one way Chorala and other via Amboli. Both routes are optimum for north goa visit.

Not sure which car, but you should be fine with 400km without any issues.

You have to be on highway until tawandi if taking amboli route or reach belgaum if taking chorala. For the timing you are targeting, you would see little to medium traffic between Satara to Kagal. No issues whatsoever.
Thanks @abirnale

Looks like the preferred route is via Amboli on the return. Would give me a chance to have explored and experienced both the routes as well.

I will be driving a Polo Petrol 1.2 so 400kms ought not to be an issue. Plus travelling with my wife who will drive for some part ( 150km )

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I feel the Chorla ghat is less steep and has much less traffic compared to the Amboli. But both ways you'd reach back to pune before sunset. Maybe you could try the Amboli on the return since it's the straight NH17 out of Goa and then a right turn after the bus stand at Sawantwadi. On the Chorla route you have to get through Belgaum city
Thanks @deutscheafrikar

I do not mind getting through city and facing some traffic compared to driving on patch of bad road. If Amboli ghat area is scenic and the patch of bad roads not that long then would be worth trying this route out rather than sticking to the same route?

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th April 2014 at 11:33.
Old 30th April 2014, 10:29   #1389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be driving a Polo Petrol 1.2 so 400kms ought not to be an issue. Plus travelling with my wife who will drive for some part ( 150km )
He he... you will love the ride, I bet!

Watch out for a friendly silver SX4 with a old man on driver's seat on May 1, 2014 dawn on the Chorala route! I have told him to watch out for tbhp stickers as many seems to be heading goa this May 1st
Old 30th April 2014, 12:16   #1390

Quote:
Watch out for a friendly silver SX4 with a old man on driver's seat on May 1, 2014 dawn on the Chorala route! I have told him to watch out for tbhp stickers as many seems to be heading goa this May 1st
As of now, I dont have any tbhp stickers. Some denting and penting work is due this month after which it will be there. I will be in a Pepper Grey Polo with MH12**** no.
Old 30th April 2014, 13:35   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
He he... you will love the ride, I bet!

Hello Avinash,
I will also be on that route on the same day. Me too dont have the TBHP stickers as I kept mine at my hometown by mistake. I will be in a paprika red Ford Classic - KL-02-AM-XXXX.
Seems like we can have a small tbhp meet in Goa this weekend.
Old 30th April 2014, 13:56   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Hello Avinash,
I will also be on that route on the same day. Me too dont have the TBHP stickers as I kept mine at my hometown by mistake. I will be in a paprika red Ford Classic - KL-02-AM-XXXX.
Seems like we can have a small tbhp meet in Goa this weekend.
I am not sure what time I will reach Chorala as the time to depart is not fixed yet. It's a solo drive - will leave only when I wake up in the middle of the night may be Although, you do not have stickers, mine has at the front as well as rear. Flag down if you see me and we can stop for a chat anytime!

Posting on Goa meet thread - not sure if it will happen but keep an eye there.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:01   #1393
BHPian

Sure, I will be keeping my eyes open for the stickers as there seems to be many bhpians travelling to Goa during the same period utilizing the Thursday holiday.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:30   #1394
BHPian

Guys,
Back from my Goa trip!! The Chorla route was awesome!! Thanks everyone for the help and detailed instructions. Special thanks to Ampere, Musaafir and Sahir. Kittur.
Sahir - while driving on the Belgaum roads to the peeranwadi junction, I could literally see your description unfolding in front of me (including the cop car with speed gun). Thanks a ton!!
As mentioned by lots of folks, the road till Satara is painful due to traffic and diversions. Kolhapur to Belgaum is easily the best stretch. Chorla ghat too was pretty good.
shreeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 17:37   #1395
BHPian

OT: Is anyone travelling from Pune via Chorla and doesn't mind giving me a lift till Belgaum. Tonight/tomorrow morning
My car is not in a good state and wife gives a thumbs down to the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks