Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 21:23   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
On enquiring I found that neighbouring districts are exempt for entry toll.
OT:
Yes, that is true. After the Goa state declared the entry tolls a lot of agitations had happened. The supply of vegetables and some important day to day things come from MH and KA - especially neighbouring districts in MH and KA. Due to the toll the prices of a lot of things were about to shoot immediately and hence Goa govt took decision to exempt the vehicles from immediate neighbouring districts from MH and KA. Good thinking - less impact on a lot of daily things and people are happy too! Tourists don't really mind the toll as that gets recovered in a days stay in the state with tankful of petrol on their cars
Old 16th July 2014, 22:26   #1457
BHPian

Hi Trojan,

I think you have got the answers to all your questions already. I tried showing electricity bills etc. while driving a Bombay registered car but no luck.
I was also told that there could be issues if the police in Goa stop you and you don't have the toll receipt.
I feel the Chorla route is definitely better but also more lonely. If, God forbid, you have a problem with your vehicle, I really don't know if any help would be available.
Also, I would advise users to be especially careful of the mining trucks which sometimes use this road.
One downside of this route is the 29 speedbreakers (Yes! I counted them!!) one has to cross between the border and Mapuca.
As pointed out by "ashkamath" there is another entry into Goa where one does not need to pay but really not worth the hassle unless you know the roads. It is on the Tiracol - Siolim road.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 13:35   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Trojan,

I think you have got the answers to all your questions already.
Thanks SS,

Yep, Kamath answered all queries.

Yeah the speed bumps are crazy and just about come at the most apt moment.
You cannot relax at all till you reach the Mapuca cross road.

Agree on the Chorla part, lonely yes and the curves are tricky, on each of my trips I have seen at least one vehicle which has misjudged the curves and has gone off into the trees.

Tiracol route, is that the road which goes to the Jail?

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 18th July 2014, 11:47   #1459

Hi Guys
Im planning to drive to Goa from Mumabi via Pune Kolhapur Nipani sawantwadi next Sunday and plan to leave around 6:00 am. Is Sunday morning a good time to leave? How are the road condtions? Any recommendations on places for breakfast and lunch>

Thanks Guys
AD
Old 18th July 2014, 11:59   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriansarita View Post
Hi Guys
Im planning to drive to Goa from Mumabi via Pune Kolhapur Nipani sawantwadi next Sunday and plan to leave around 6:00 am. Is Sunday morning a good time to leave? How are the road condtions? Any recommendations on places for breakfast and lunch>

Thanks Guys
AD
With the weather right now ensuring to turn the whole of western ghats into a lush green carpet, expect huge outflow from Mumbai/Pune towards Lavasa & Mahabaleshwar.

6AM start is a bad idea considering you will cross all the 4 toll after Pune towards Kolhapur between 8am and 11am. On a Sunday, at least the Khedshivpur and Anewadi tolls are not a good experience with beeline of MH12/14 cars wanting to break the queue and get out of the mess as soon as they can.

My suggestion to you would be to either shift this by a day earlier or start around 4am.

The roads are all good till NH4 Turn off, except a few deviations between Pune and Satara for 6 lane work.

Not sure about the Sawantwadi route conditions but if you want 100% cleaner roads, Belgaum-Chorla is the way to go.

If you start at 4, you will be crossing Pune around 6 and settle for breakfast at Amar-Only Veg right at the foot of Tawandi ghat start after Nippani.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:13   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
Thanks Guys
AD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
With the weather right now ensuring to turn the whole of western ghats into a lush green carpet, expect huge outflow from Mumbai/Pune towards Lavasa & Mahabaleshwar.

6AM start is a bad idea considering you will cross all the 4 toll after Pune towards Kolhapur between 8am and 11am. On a Sunday, at least the Khedshivpur and Anewadi tolls are not a good experience with beeline of MH12/14 cars wanting to break the queue and get out of the mess as soon as they can.

My suggestion to you would be to either shift this by a day earlier or start around 4am.

Not sure about the Sawantwadi route conditions but if you want 100% cleaner roads, Belgaum-Chorla is the way to go.
Hi Parag,

I agree with your point on leaving from Mumbai earlier in order to beat the toll traffic post Pune.
However, I feel Sunday morning is apt as most of the crowd leaves for Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani on Friday or Saturday (Saturday being a peak day) is best avoided.
Lavasa traffic would not be a major hindrance as the turn-off for the same would be much before the Khed-Shivapur toll.

Hi AD,
Try leaving earlier from Mumbai so you can aim at crossing Satara before 9am before the melee starts.

Sawantwadi- I have no idea about current road conditions as started taking the Chorla route from early last year. That route (through Belgaum) is in excellent shape.

Suggestion for snacks/breakfast enroute is already given by Parag

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 14:51   #1462

Thanks Parag & Trojan

I will try to leave as early as possible as suggested.

As Im heading to North Goa, I presume the Chorla route wud be longer.

I wonder how are the roads after Nipani via Amboli?

Thanks again
adriansarita is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 15:35   #1463
BHPian

I had a trip via choral last year and the roads were excellent. Only few meters after wildernest junction (http://www.wildernest-goa.com/ ), if I remember correctly, the road was in bad condition. The main problem will be in crossing Belgaum city were the traffic will be heavy. On the other hand Nipani-Ambolim route is free from heavy traffic.
Old 18th July 2014, 16:16   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag & Trojan

I will try to leave as early as possible as suggested.

Hi AD,

If you're heading to North Goa, Chorla would still be good, its not a longer route as it may seem so.

You would reach the Mapuca cross road by this route and therein you can decide which way to head.

We always stay at Anjuna and take this route, as per latest reports the route has improved as well. For Amboli I guess you can search a few pages you should be able to find some inputs.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 18th July 2014, 17:21   #1465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even though the route is longer, you get compensated by being able to cover it faster thanks to superb roads. At the same, you also get to Belgaum where you have an option to break at a good hotel (Sankam).
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:50   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
I had gone to Goa last moth in my friends car. Ka22 Belgaum registration and we were not stopped. On enquiring I found that neighbouring districts are exempt for entry toll.
This is something we have have known (Neighboring districts from other states exempted). And the latest news is that from yesterday, even they may have to pay up.

Also, why is it that KA19 (Mangalore and nowhere a neighbor) was exempted from paying this entry tax still remains my question as we never paid when we entered 2 weeks before.
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:29   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Two recent trips suggest to me that the Ajra Amboli route is shorter and takes about 45 minutes less than via Chorla. Road quality on the former is now decent enough.
Both times I used Chorla on the way out and Amboli for return.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:05   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Two recent trips suggest to me that the Ajra Amboli route is shorter and takes about 45 minutes less than via Chorla. Road quality on the former is now decent enough.
Next time I head to Goa which should be sometime soon, will take the Ajra route, have never taken that route before, any pointers on the same please.

In Dec 2009, we were returning from the Nippani route (night travel) and we missed many turns and found ourselves in a forest dirt road with crazy amount of trucks, finally we reached a forest check-post and understood we were outside Belgaum.

Till date we have no clue what route we took, its another thing that there were absolutely no markings whatsoever.

Cheers!
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 23rd July 2014 at 16:08. Reason: removed repetition
Old 23rd July 2014, 17:25   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Next time I head to Goa which should be sometime soon, will take the Ajra route, have never taken that route before, any pointers on the same please.

In Dec 2009, we were returning from the Nippani route (night travel) and we missed many turns and found ourselves in a forest dirt road with crazy amount of trucks, finally we reached a forest check-post and understood we were outside Belgaum.

Till date we have no clue what route we took, its another thing that there were absolutely no markings whatsoever.

Cheers!
Trojan
Continue on NH4 till Tawandi ghat,on top of the ghat,the turn off is approximately 43kms from Kolhapur and approx 24kms after the Kognoli toll plaza

You would see Hotel Satyawati Palace onto your left and Hotel Goa Ves and Hotel Kaveri to your right.The road to Uttur and Ajra goes in between these two hotels on the right.

Tawandi Ghat-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...goa-nipani.jpg
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 17:43   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Continue on NH4 till Tawandi ghat,on top of the ghat,the
You would see Hotel Satyawati Palace onto your left and Hotel Goa Ves and Hotel Kaveri to your right.The road to Uttur and Ajra goes in between these two hotels on the right.
Tawandi Ghat-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa.
Hey thanks Ranjit for sharing that snapshot, was very very helpful!

I have seen these hotels while on my way to Belgaum, so would not be an issue at all, now it makes sense.

Once I take the turn, is the road well marked for pointing out directions towards Uttur - Ajra - Amboli, post Amboli should not be an issue.

Cheers!
Trojan

Most Viewed