Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:08   #1471
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Once I take the turn, is the road well marked for pointing out directions towards Uttur - Ajra - Amboli, post Amboli should not be an issue.

Cheers!
Trojan
Not as well marked as it ought to be, but not difficult. Follow the road for a while until you come to a T junction where it joins the Ajra - Gadhinglaj road, where you take a right to Ajra. At Ajra town, you enter towards the bus stand, where you take a right just before it to go to Amboli.
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:28   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks Ranjit for sharing that snapshot, was very very helpful!

I have seen these hotels while on my way to Belgaum, so would not be an issue at all, now it makes sense.

Once I take the turn, is the road well marked for pointing out directions towards Uttur - Ajra - Amboli, post Amboli should not be an issue.

Cheers!
Trojan
No signboards anywhere,the road you take from NH4 ends up at Uttur where you take a left and it leads to Ajra which is a major town and the road reaches an intersection where straight would take you back to Gadhinglaj and NH4 and a right at that T junction would take you to Amboli.From Amboli you can only go straight and it ends up at Sawantwadi.Ignore all boards which say Panjim etc.

https://goo.gl/maps/DcPU5
Old 25th July 2014, 13:31   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Follow the road for a while until you come to a T junction where it joins the Ajra - Gadhinglaj road, where you take a right to Ajra. At Ajra town, you enter towards the bus stand, where you take a right just before it to go to Amboli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
...the road reaches an intersection where straight would take you back to Gadhinglaj and NH4 and a right at that T junction would take you to Amboli.
Thanks guys!

Hmmm so this is where the Gadhinglaj road meets, I always wondered that definitely these roads would be intersecting each other.

If one has to take the Gadhinglaj route, that would mean, going further ahead on NH4 and take the exit for Gadhinglaj right.

Since that road eventually meets the Ajra (Goa Ves) route, which is better and shorter.

Better in terms of light traffic and road conditions or is turning off from Goa Ves restaurant a better thing to do.

What would your preference be, Chorla for me still remains Numero Uno but I am keen on exploring and taking all possible route options to go to Goa, makes the travel all the more fun.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 25th July 2014, 14:28   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If one has to take the Gadhinglaj route, that would mean, going further ahead on NH4 and take the exit for Gadhinglaj right.

Since that road eventually meets the Ajra (Goa Ves) route, which is better and shorter.
Correct, you would then leave NH4 at Sankeshwar.
The Goa Ves via Uttur route has recently been resurfaced - even post monsoons I think it will be in very decent shape.It was always shorter, but now there is no reason to not take it.
Basically, the Goa Ves/Amboli route is the hypotenuse to the right angle that is the Chorla route. And if you take the Sawantwadi bypass after getting down from Amboli, you avoid Sawantwadi - and overall saving of about one hour compared to the Chorla route. The bypass needs some careful driving over some potholes though, but the alternative is Sawantwadi traffic. It would still be about 45 minutes less than Chorla.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:04   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
The Goa Ves via Uttur route has recently been resurfaced - even post monsoons I think it will be in very decent shape.It was always shorter, but now there is no reason to not take it.
Thanks, easy choice then, Goa Ves it will be this time

Quote:
And if you take the Sawantwadi bypass after getting down from Amboli, you avoid Sawantwadi - and overall saving of about one hour compared to the Chorla route.
Am all ears for this one, what and where is this bypass, I would be interested in taking this one, no affinity for Sawantwadi if time can be saved.

Quote:
The bypass needs some careful driving over some potholes though, but the alternative is Sawantwadi traffic. It would still be about 45 minutes less than Chorla.
No problem with bad roads, can manage, our new ride is a Scorpio!

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 26th July 2014, 15:39   #1476

Slightly OT but surprisingly the name Goa Ves is actually Goa ways spelt incorrectly. Confirmed by the owner when I was last there
Old 26th July 2014, 16:52   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick78 View Post
Slightly OT but surprisingly the name Goa Ves is actually Goa ways spelt incorrectly. Confirmed by the owner when I was last there
Nowadays it is spelled as "Goa Ways"
Old 26th July 2014, 17:30   #1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Nowadays it is spelled as "Goa Ways"
Thank you Kumar sir!
Don't frequent the Uttur route as much as I used to. Grown partial to the Chorla route now
Old 28th July 2014, 18:11   #1479
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just to let you all know that there has been a landslide on the Lonavala / Khandala ghats today causing a major traffic jam. This was around late morning/Noon today. No idea about whether it has been cleared yet or not. Just thought I'd keep any travellers updated.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 09:48   #1480
BHPian

Travelled from Pune to Goa on Sunday, 27th July via Belgaum-Chorla. Chorla route is in excellent condition even after the rains. Took the Sanquelim-Mapusa-Panjim route to reach Panjim, however this seems longer and also has numerous speed breakers.Will try the Panjim-Old Goa-Corlim-Sanquelim route on return.

Read about some unrest and law and order issues in Belgaum yesterday. Request those who travel during this week to please update on this - and also advise whether it would be better to go via Ambol-Sankeshwar/Nipani on this account during the return journey.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th July 2014, 19:07   #1481

I did the trip from Mumbai to Goa via Pune Kolhapur Amboli Sawantwadi. The roads were excellent except some stretches between Nipani and Amboli.

However be warned, never travel via Amboli on a weekend or on any holiday. We were caught for two hours in jam packed situation with revellers and travellers, some enjoying the falls and the weather. The weather indeed was so awesome that we didnt mind the jam. However this delayed us by two hours.

Left Mumbai Andheri East at 6 am and reached Goa Candolim via Mapusa at 7 pm

Thanks for the inputs!

BTW for lunch we went to Opal in Kolhapur which is a kilometer inside and had some awesome Kolhapuri food
Old 11th August 2014, 18:43   #1482
BHPian

Hi Guys!

I plan to drive down to Colva, Goa from Mumbai on 15th August. On reading some of the recent posts I plan to take the Belgaum-Chorla road instead of the the usual Nipani-Amboli road I take each year.

However, when I ask for directions on Google Maps for Colva, its showing me a different route, i.e. to drive further on NH4A on Noland road and turn right at Ramnagar, pass by MRF factory, turn left at ATV sport and then take SH5 . Has anyone taken this route?

I'm a bit confused as to where to exit the Belgaum route to get to Colva. Your suggestions please!

Best regards,

Blackbolt
Old 13th August 2014, 13:53   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hi Guys!
However, when I ask for directions on Google Maps for Colva, its showing me a different route, i.e. to drive further on NH4A on Noland road and turn right at Ramnagar, pass by MRF factory, turn left at ATV sport and then take SH5 . Has anyone taken this route?

I'm a bit confused as to where to exit the Belgaum route to get to Colva. Your suggestions please!
Good choice about taking the Chorla route!

Internet suggests alternate and shorter routes but may not be the best, especially in Goan context.

In order to take the Chorla route, cross through Belgaum city and reach Peeranwadi crossroad.

At the crossroad the road forks away, both going towards Goa.
Take the road to your right, which is the Chorla route, the left one is what your map has suggested, but that road is in awful condition and you will spend a lot of time navigating craters.

Once on Chorla route, you will exit the ghat at Keri Forest Range and from there on you need to proceed towards Sanquelim-Bicholim and then finally hit the NH17.

From my experience this is the best and fastest way to reach Colva using NH-17.

There is an alternate route from Sanquelim as well which will take you directly to South Goa but it is not well marked, better stick to major highways.

Hope this helps! Drive safe!

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 22:37   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hi Guys!

I plan to drive down to Colva, Goa from Mumbai on 15th August. On reading some of the recent posts I plan to take the Belgaum-Chorla road instead of the ............

Blackbolt
Hi Blackbolt,

If you have not returned back and plan to go back by Corla route, instead of the route suggested by Trojan, you may want to consider the Colva-Margao-Pilar-Corlim-Amona-Sanquelim-Corla route. This route will save you approx 22 kms
This road condition is also very nice and safe to travel at any hour.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 13:52   #1485
BHPian

Dear all,
I'm planning to drive down from Goa to Delhi via Pune, Mumbai, Vadodara...

On the first day i want to travel from goa to Vadodara. Since i'll be coming 950 kilometres on the first day, I want to cover Goa Pune as early as possible.

Therefore i want to seek the help of members in deciding which route to take to reach Kolhapur. Whether i should go via Sawantwadi Amboli Kolhapur or Chorla ghat Belgaum Kolhapur. I have never been on the second route that is Chorla Belgaum road. Would be grateful if somebody can guide me about the Chorla Ghat Belgaum Kolhapur route. I intend starting on 31st August at 0500 Hrs... Vehicle is SX4 ZXI...

Thanks in advance..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks