Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 16:46   #1486

[quote=Sea Cruiser;3513258]Dear all,
I'm planning to drive down from Goa to Delhi via Pune, Mumbai, Vadodara...

On the first day i want to travel from goa to Vadodara. Since i'll be coming 950 kilometres on the first day, I want to cover Goa Pune as early as possible.

Hi sea cruiser, I would always suggest you take the Chorla route as the roads are in pretty good condition baring a few kms on the Goa border (nothing which an SX4 can't handle). Don't know the latest conditions of the Amboli route though I heard it has been done up. The Chorla route is pretty straightforward and considering the fact that you would reach Belgaum at noon, you would not get a lot of traffic in Belgaum.
BTW where in Goa are you starting from?
Old 24th August 2014, 22:09   #1487
BHPian

Hi.. Thanks for the input.. I'm starting from Panjim
Old 24th August 2014, 22:10   #1488
BHPian

[quote=maverick78;3513345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
Dear all,

On the first day i want to travel from goa to Vadodara. Since i'll be coming 950 kilometres on the first day, I want to cover Goa Pune as early as possible.

Hi sea cruiser, I would always suggest you take the Chorla route as the roads are in pretty good condition baring a few kms on the Goa border (nothing which an SX4 can't handle). Don't know the latest conditions of the Amboli route though I heard it has been done up. The Chorla route is pretty straightforward and considering the fact that you would reach Belgaum at noon, you would not get a lot of traffic in Belgaum.
BTW where in Goa are you starting from?
Hi.. Thanks.. I'm starting from Panjim.. My only concern was about the condition of the roads and do I save time by using this route
Old 24th August 2014, 22:23   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
Dear all,

On the first day i want to travel from goa to Vadodara. Since i'll be coming 950 kilometres on the first day,

Whether i should go via Sawantwadi Amboli Kolhapur or Chorla ghat Belgaum Kolhapur. I have never been on the second route that is Chorla Belgaum road. Would be grateful if somebody can guide me about the Chorla Ghat Belgaum Kolhapur route. I intend starting on 31st August at 0500 Hrs.....
Hi,

Thanks to Trojan and a_myth I took the Chorla route, the roads are really good and the traffic is also very thin.

I left at 6 am from Colva Goa as the ghat section is very dangerous so wanted to cover it in daylight (off topic, but saw the worst accident at the Chorla ghats which spoilt the second half of the drive to goa; an Eritga rammed into a bike killing one on the spot while I was surprised that the ambulance arrived at the remote location pretty soon to help save the pillion rider) and reached Amar restaurant (5 Kms before Nipani) at 9.45 am and Pune by around 1 pm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Old 24th August 2014, 23:51   #1490
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Sea Cruiser,

As suggested by Trojan and others I would also suggest the Chorla route. That is one long drive (Goa to Baroda) you plan to do in a single day. Hope you have at least one more driver to assist with the driving. Personally I would suggest you break journey on the outskirts of Bombay (Fountain Hotel or suchlike) and continue the next day. I would also suggest you leave Goa as early as possible to avoid traffic in Belgaum (if going via Chorla).
Drive safe.

Regards,
SS
Old 30th August 2014, 20:56   #1491
BHPian

Hi... I started from Panjim today at 1325 hrs and travelled via Amona bridge and through Chorla Ghats to Belgaum ( 1530 hrs) and thereafter took NH4 for Pune.. Chorla ghat route is fantastic and a treat to drive in terms of road surface, traffic and scenic beauty.. Strongly recommended for travelling from Goa to Pune.. Safe driving
Old 10th September 2014, 12:01   #1492
BHPian

How are the current road conditions post Monsoon ? I am wondering weather to pay heavy toll and still drive on potholed road as it was in last monsoon or save toll and still drive on potholed NH17 from Mumbai
Old 10th September 2014, 14:53   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
How are the current road conditions post Monsoon ? I am wondering weather to pay heavy toll and still drive on potholed road as it was in last monsoon or save toll and still drive on potholed NH17 from Mumbai
Taurus,

SeaCruiser has just returned using the Chorla route on 30th Aug, I guess it should still be ok and a treat to drive. The quality of road is much much better than the NH17.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 11th September 2014, 09:14   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Go for chorla ghat route.. Its a delight to drive on it.. All these years I have taking amboli ghat but this one (chorla) is certainly better
Old 18th September 2014, 13:35   #1495
BHPian

Hi All,

Travelling in a Punto Petrol, with small kid 4.5 years and wife. I am the only driver.

What is the best route from Pune to Goa (candolim/Calangute area).
How many hours will it take with breaks and lunch enroute?
Please suggest stop overs on the way.

From the threads above it seems best would be Pune belgaum and then chorla to Goa. Is it the best or time wise something else is better.

I dont want to do ghat roads during evening or nights. What is the Latest time I should start from Pune?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:51   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi All,
What is the best route from Pune to Goa (candolim/Calangute area).
If Chorla, then its Kolhapur-Belgaum-Sanquelim-Panaji-Candolim.
As an alternate, you can also do Kolhapur-Belgaum-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Candolim
Quote:
How many hours will it take with breaks and lunch enroute?
Pune-Kolhapur would be anything between 3.5-4 hours with breaks inclusive (and factoring current conditions between Pune and Satara).
Kolhapur to Belgaum will take around 90 minutes. Crossing Belgaum till you reach the Chorla Turn off on Khanapur road will take around 20-30 minutes easily. From here, its an easy 2.5 hours to destination.

Mind you, there is nothing reliable between Belgaum and Sanquelim (First town entering Goa) for refueling. So have the tank filled up before itself.
Quote:
Please suggest stop overs on the way.
You have the following choices:
1. Sai International, 30 kms after Karad on the left hand side. Look for Signages and you wont miss it.
2. Mc Donalds at Kolhapur on the right hand side
3. Hotel Sankam at Belgaum closer to the Bypass.

Quote:
From the threads above it seems best would be Pune belgaum and then chorla to Goa. Is it the best or time wise something else is better.
The fact is that you will do Pune-Belgaum faster than any other routes but will only add more kms driving southwards.
Not to forget the time spent to cross Belgaum will add another 30 minutes.
Apart from this, the roads from Balgaum to Goa are in good condition and you should average 40 kmph due to narrow and twisty roads till Sanquelim. Further to this is typical Goa traffic.

Quote:
I dont want to do ghat roads during evening or nights. What is the Latest time I should start from Pune?
5am Departure will ensure you are in Belgaum by 10:30-11:00am. From Belgaum city to Candolim, 3 hours is more than sufficient.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:58   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

5am Departure will ensure you are in Belgaum by 10:30-11:00am. From Belgaum city to Candolim, 3 hours is more than sufficient.
Thanks for the detailed information. There has been a change in plan.
Will be doing South Goa to Pune, as thought of going to Goa and then to Pune.I am coming from Bangalore. This is my revised plan.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3539052

Google maps shows 485 kms, between colva to Pune SB road. How many hours will it take.
Old 24th September 2014, 13:02   #1498
BHPian

Mumbai Goa Drive on October 2, 2014

A well planned, long awaited trip to Sringar was washed away. Took the decision not to travel only after September 15, 2014, which was too late to plan for a trip else where. So perpetual option - GOA.

Planning to start at 3.30 AM from Mumbai, in a Dzire VDi, with the wife and son (~2 yrs), all of us drive

Route Planned: Mumbai EW Pune Satara Kolhapur Belgaum Khanapur Chorla Ponda Mapusa. Not done the Chorla route so far but, having read the reviews, am very keen.

My only worry is - how bad would be the traffic? I read newspaper reports of 6 kms long jams on the expressway toll nakas for the four day weekend. This is a 5 day weekend, possibly the only one we would have in our entire working career. Would starting at 3.30 AM be of any help?

Appreciate your opinions. Am sure there are many many bhpians who are planning the same trip as me. When are you guys starting?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:13   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Appreciate your opinions. Am sure there are many many bhpians who are planning the same trip as me. When are you guys starting?
Nothing specific to this thread, but would definitely suggest drive a day early (if you can a day off) and dont drive back on the last day of the long weekend. That surely helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 14:59   #1500
BHPian

As a rough estimate, by the time you exit Pune, you it will already be. 0630 +- 30 mins, assuming you are suffering from south Mumbai... As suggested by ampere, it will be a good idea to start a day prior or atleast start an hour early, so you are able to move before the point crowd also
Sea Cruiser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks