Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 00:29   #1516
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Guys have a last minute plan to Goa. Driving to Arpora beach. I'm going to be alone, and will be taking the X3. I intend on leaving at 6am.

Chorla seems to be the way to go, especially considering Sankeshwar - Ghadhinglaj - Sawantwadi roads don't seem to be great.

How are the latest road conditions on Kolhapur on the NH4? Also I haven't driven to Goa in a while, how far apart are fuel pumps on the NH4, and also what about the quality of fuel?

What time will I be looking at for the whole drive? Also will it be fine for a single driver to do it? The last time I drove there were 3 of us.

Please advise.
Old 15th October 2014, 00:58   #1517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What time will I be looking at for the whole drive? Also will it be fine for a single driver to do it? The last time I drove there were 3 of us.
Mumbai-Pune : You know better than me!
Pune-Kolhapur : 4 to 4.5 hours
Kolhapur Belgaum : 1 to 1.5 hours
Belgaum-Chorla-Mapusa : 3 hours max
Old 19th October 2014, 00:35   #1518
Team-BHP Support

Left on Wednesday itself, from Mumbai at 10am. Finished Chorla and was in Goa by 6pm. Took another hour to get to Candolim because of traffic.

Left Goa this morning by 1130, got a puncture and had it fixed by 12. Reached home at 1030 after 2 stops which were almost an hour. Will update in more detail on road conditions tomorrow.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:57   #1519
BHPian

Left from Margoa tp pune on the 26th.
I took the road from Margoa, Belgavi, Kolhapur, pune.
The road starting from Karnataka border to Belgavi is very bad - avoid it.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:06   #1520
BHPian

So we took a road trip from Pune to Goa two weeks ago and while going we took the Pune > Satara > Kolhapur > Nipani > Goa Ways Exit > Uttur > Ajara > Amboli > Sawantwadi > Morjim Beach route. My observations below:
  1. Pune to Satara - The road surface was not good. It was ridden with moderate size potholes and there were around 15 diversions.
  2. Satara to Kohapur and till Goa Ways Exit after Nipani - Excellent concrete / asphalt roads.
  3. Goa Ways till the end of Karnataka border - A single road but excellent surface
  4. Maharashtra border to Goa Border (~ 90 Kms) - HORRIBLE ROADS. BIG POTHOLES. NO ROADS at all on some stretches
  5. Goa border to Morjim beach - Excellent surface roads

On our way back we took the Morjim Beach > Mapusa > Sanquelim > Chorla > Belgaum > Kolhapur > Satara > Pune route. All the roads upto Satara on this route were excellent.

I would recommend everyone travelling to Goa to take the Chorla Ghats route irrespective of whether you are travelling to North or South Goa. For my Pune to North Goa trip, Google suggested the Amboli ghats route (440 km / 7 h 51 min) to me over the Chorla ghats route (466 km / 8 h 17 min). But the Amboli ghats route actually took a little over 9 hours and the Chorla ghats took about 7 h 30 mins. See below for a map of the routes I took for my trip

(Google Maps Link)
Immix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 22:11   #1521
BHPian

The Amboli ghat road after exiting the Pune Kholapur highway is in bad shape, and narrow. We stayed overnight at Amboli, and that was very pleasant. Nearing Sawantawadi, it is better to avoid a road that goes through some villages to join NH17 at Bonda.
Old 29th October 2014, 23:48   #1522
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Arrived back in Goa yesterday afternoon.
Usual route : Bombay - Poona - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Mapuca.
Left Bombay at 05:00, was in Kolhapur at 10:15 and in Goa at 14:15.
Total time including 4 stops was almost exactly 9 hours.
Nothing different to report.
The road from Poona to about 15 Kms past Satara is still in poor condition with a rough surface and several potholes. Let's also not forget the "ever lasting" diversions. I think there are 12 in all but maybe wrong. Some of the diversions appear to have had some sort of temporary repair done recently so they were not all bad.
Toll booths were the usual. A lot of time wasted even though it was early morning. Wonder if things will improve with the new ETC system or whatever it's called. At four of the toll booths I got stuck behind some idiot or the other who was trying to get through without paying but by flashing an ID card. Not once did it work - which is good I guess - but I was ready to tear my hair out as I was behind these guys. Four times on one day. What are the odds??
Stopped at Sai International for a coffee and was pleased to note that the toilets were spotless.
Lost about half an hour in Belgaum with the traffic but can't complain.
Chorla road is as good as ever. Superb driving road.
Two small patches of about 50 m each were a bit rough with paver blocks.
Surprised to see heavy traffic coming out of Goa, all driving like maniacs and occupying the middle of the road.
Nearly got side swiped by a couple of Mahindra Bolero Tempos on the ghats whose driver's could not control their vehicle but were still driving recklessly.
I slowed down dramatically after that.
Fairly heavy traffic after entering Goa and the road from the border to Sanquelim is also pretty rough.
Total of 31 speed breakers between the border and Mapuca.

Regards,
SS
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:03   #1523

Travelled via the Pune > Satara > Kolhapur > Belgaum > Chorla > Sanquelim > Margao route on the Diwali weekend.
Experience is pretty much the same as most have quoted here. I would mention a few other things which I did not find in the recent reviews:
1. Try bypassing Sanquelim city, there is an alternate road through Sanquelim IDC (Industrial Development Corporation). Google shows this route and is pretty good - saves the city traffic of Sanquelim.
2. Ensure that you follow the Belgaum exit board very well. It is a small sign board compared to the empty highway. Driving at 130 kmph can make you miss the direction very easily.
3. When in Goa, follow Google maps to the point. It often suggests smaller and inner roads than the highway, but is worth the time you save on travel.
4. Do start early from Goa since you will come across a HEAVY (and by that I mean really frustrating ) traffic after Satara (Wai exit) coupled with the diversions and exits. I took 7 hours 30 minutes Pune to Goa (started at 5 am) and 10 hours 30 minutes Goa to Pune (started at 9:15 am).
Thanks,
Anant
anantghangurde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 15:08   #1524

I've been wanting to pen down my trip report; Bombay - (via Nipani) Goa - Manipal- Mangalore and back which we did during July-August 2014 but have always been caught up doing nothing but lazing around. Finally realized that preparing the report at the office was more realistic rather than from home . So let's hope I can finally start and finish it.

First of all thanks to all the members for their posts on the Mumbai –Pune-Kolhapur-Goa thread which was the best source of information.

We did the trip on a Sunday which you realize was a mistake the moment you reach Amboli Ghats… the weekend crowd is just terrible and we were stuck on the ghats with weekend revelers for two hours. Now for those who are in a hurry, this is really a bad situation but since we were not in a hurry, we seized the moment.. relaxed.. walked in the clouds and just wiled away out time till we could wriggle our way out. Mind you the traffic was at a standstill and it had nothing to do with any accident or breakdown of vehicles. It was simply hordes of people, walking around, cars parked at places they aren't supposed to.. and in the presence of cops who could not or would not do anything. I guess this is the scene every weekend so its best to avoid driving through Amboli ghats during weekends. I heard it's the same through the Chorla route.*

We started in our Hyundai Santro after from Andheri at 5:45 am via the Chembur link road on the western express highway and were out of Mumbai city limits. However, the moment we hit the Bombay Pune Expressway, it poured! It poured buckets, period. The expressway was full of water.. not flooded but lots of water all along the road. We even had water seeping into the vehicle through the passenger side. Had to slow down to prevent the water coming in. Didn't stop at the foodmall before Lonavla and passed Pune by 8:30 am.

Stopped for good breakfast of Misal pav and batata wadas and some hot coffee at a restaurant after Pune. The roads till Pune were awesome however once we passed Pune, the many diversions and potholed roads spoil all the fun. The roads from Satara to Kolhapur and until Nipani were beautiful and the roads on the Karnataka side are so good, gives you a feeling to drive on. However we tuned from Nipani and headed for Goa via Amboli Ghats. For those travelling to North Goa, travelling via Nipani Amboli ghats makes sense. However if you are travelling to the South of Goa then Chorla should be the preferred route.

We reached Kolhapur around 1:30 pm and turned right from the expressway to get into the Kolhopur City for Lunch. Had an amazing lunch of Mutton Kolhapuri. Mutton fry and Mutton loncha at a restaurant called Opal along with some chapattis and the famously overrated Tamda and Pandhra rassa. IMO its more of some raw chillies in water.

Were out of Kolhapur in an hour and the roads as I mentioned were fantastic all the way till Nipani. Turned right for Goa from Nipani ( a junction you cannot miss if you are looking out for that right turn to Goa) Velha Goa Restaurant is* a good landmark for those looking out for that right turn.

We headed towards Amboli. The roads for most of the part were good. Some parts riddled with potholes and some parts manageable. However, the roads are pretty ok and very picturesque. Had a good drive and were at Amboli by 4:30 sumthing. As mentioned earlier, got stuck with the weekend crowd and the best way is to roll down your windows and enjoy the moment. The weather was great. No rain but droplets here and there with lots of cloud movement. We didn't want to venture and get wet so just stretched our legs a bit and took a few pics.

Once the traffic started moving, zipped out and headed out for our home in Goa. We reached late in the evening between 7:30 -8:00 pm.

We stayed in Goa for a few days and then headed to Manipal. Driving from North Goa to South Goa takes a good two hours. Also if u are leaving early, make sure you carry your breakfasgt and tea as its difficult to get a good restaurant open between 6 and 9. The next best place to have breakfast is after uve crossed the state boundry at the Udipi hotel. Breakfast is ok. Nothing to brag about. However if you have the time, you can head into Karwar city and there are quite a few good places to eat. I cant remember the place we ate at but had some good breakfast of omlet, egg roast, kheema and parathas with some hot tea.

The drive from Goa all the way till Kundapur is fantastic and the roads are awesome. Then all hell breaks loose. During the rains, the roads are a disaster with potholes…. No craters… craters so big that it can engulf your full vehicle making it difficult to maneuver. Driving for the next 15 to 20 kilometers has to be carefully and thoughtfully done. Don't try to act smart or you could end up damaging the underside of your vehicle. Once you are out of Byndoor, the roads get better. The expressway thereon has some stupid bumps and diversions. The expressway has been like this from a year now with diversions and traffic coming in front of you in the same lane. The part that's irritating is where the diversion ends and starts as there is no leveling on the rod as the expressway starts at each diversion. If u are at a higher speed, the vehicle will experience hard bumps so you got to slow down at these bumps. Some of the bumps are not visible and u tend to hit the car hard on impact of these bumps.

Not many places to eat on the way and no toilets for ladies. Most toilets are terribly dirty and I don't know when we can have good toilets or hygienic conditions for women to make travelling fun.

Took a good 7 to 8 hours to reach Manipal. I would recommend the Paranakutty homestay for those visiting Manipal. The recommendation is also based on the understanding that you have a vehicle to travel or else will be difficult. Excellent location.*

Overall driving was fun all the way and I do expect roads to be in bad shape during the rains. Bad road conditions during rains do not just occur in India but all over. So it may not be right to blame the authorities for road conditions during such heavy rainfall.

Our trip back to Mumbai was very leisurely with no traffic whatsoever on the roads until we entered Mumbai city limits. Made two to three stopovers, one of which was at Amboli and was fun. Had breakfast in one of the stalls and walked around to the main falls. Totally deserted on weekdays.

I better post this as it will just stay on my pc till i complete
Attached Images

adriansarita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 12:15   #1525
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just drove back from Goa to Bombay yesterday.
Route was Mapuca -> Chorla -> Belgaum -> Kolhapur -> Poona -> Bombay.
Nothing different to report from my last post a month or so ago.
The Chorla ghat road is still in very good condition. No issues to talk about.
Belgaum to Poona was the same as ever.
Got stuck for an hour in traffic at the Vashi toll naka and finally U turned and came in from Airoli.

An incident that took place yesterday:
Due to hitting a sharp stone embedded just on the side of the road, I had the two left hand side tyres burst - at the same time - on the ghats (to be discussed in a separate thread) and would like to point out here that the Chorla route is a lonely road indeed with very little help available in case of a problem.
A couple of young guys on a bike helped to change the front tyre.
I was lucky that it was daylight and I (we) were able to change one tyre and I drove on the rear flat tyre to Jamboti village nearby.
Without the biker guys help I would have been really stuck as the car was tilted completely to the left (both tyres flat) and the camber of the road didn't help.
The SX4 is also a heavy car to lift - believe me!
The tyre repair guy at Jamboti was unable to help as the tyres had a 2 inch square hole in the sidewall.
I then had to leave the car and hitch a lift into Belgaum to buy a new tyre.
Most of the cars passing did not bother to stop.
No help was available from any of the "24/7" helplines.
Mobile coverage was sketchy.

All I am saying here is that although this is an excellent road it is deserted and being stuck here after dark would not be a pleasant prospect.
Please take this into consideration when planning your trip.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 22:34   #1526
Senior - BHPian

This is something Ranjit and I have been saying for awhile now. I've been twice via Chorla and both occasions after Sundown. I was lucky that my steering rack gave me trouble after I reached Goa. But in the dark and with no cars to tail or any that are willing to follow it is scary, to top it lousy cell coverage. Believe me I prayed. The last time in June I drove via Amboli... and I actually liked it more. I think it's better to use Chorla to get out of Goa. You've been unfortunate to have both tyres burst at the same time. Thank goodness it wasn't worse since you travel so often you should look into carrying an extra spare tyre, without a rim, even an old one will save you a lot of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,An incident that took place yesterday:
Due to hitting a sharp stone embedded just on the side of the road, I had the two left hand side tyres burst - at the same time - on the ghats
and would like to point out here that the Chorla route is a lonely road indeed with very little help available in case of a problem.
The tyre repair guy at Jamboti was unable to help as the tyres had a 2 inch square hole in the sidewall.
I then had to leave the car and hitch a lift into Belgaum to buy a new tyre.
Most of the cars passing did not bother to stop.
No help was available from any of the "24/7" helplines.
Mobile coverage was sketchy.

All I am saying here is that although this is an excellent road it is deserted and being stuck here after dark would not be a pleasant prospect.
Please take this into consideration when planning your trip.

Regards,
SS
Old 5th December 2014, 13:50   #1527
BHPian

Hi,

My friends and I will be driving down to Colva, Goa on 22nd December, 2014 from Bombay. We are four 20 year old chaps who will be alternating the driving amongst us. We will be using a diesel Toyota Innova.

What is the recommended route to follow for MINIMAL ghat driving?

We intend on leaving Bombay as early as 5 AM.
Any tips/suggestions that the forum members have amassed while doing this stretch are extremely welcome since this is our very first road trip. We want to be thoroughly prepared for any eventualities that may occur!
Old 5th December 2014, 18:03   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Hi,

What is the recommended route to follow for MINIMAL ghat driving?
Going to Goa you can not avoid Ghats. Still Pune-Belgaum-Chorla Ghat road is easier for a novice. You still have to go through 3 major ghats and few minor.
Bor Ghat (Khopoli-Khandala) Between Mumbai and Pune
Khambataki (Khandala-Vele) Between Pune and Satara
& Chorla Ghat.
Of these Climbing up first two Ghats needs lot of patience due to trucks. Chorla Ghat is bit narrow but not much traffic.
Between Kolhapur and Belgaum there are two Ghats but small and easy as in Karnataka they have provided one additional lane in ghats for heavy vehicles. Between Belgaum and Chorla there are 2-3 small ghats.

As compared to other routes this route has less and easier Ghats.

Little care will easily take you through. In Chorla ghat area try to be with another vehicle if possible. Not that it is unsafe, it is lonely. (But much better than Radhanagari Phonda section where you are lonely and also passing through reserve forest)

My another suggestion is to travel between Pune and Satara during daytime. Lot of road works are going on, there are potholes and no lane marking.That makes it stressful to drive in dark even for seasoned driver. rest of the route is good for both day as well as night driving. (Again due to lonelyness avoid Chorla ghat in dark).

Drive responsibly and enjoy!

Take care!!!
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 21:00   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Going to Goa you can not avoid Ghats.
True that!! I made three trips to pune and back to Goa of late. Two in the polo tsi, and one in the Ford Fusion. All three trips alone. All three trips I made were on different routes.
A lot has been written about the plush Chorla ghats. Its good if one wants to enjoy a smooth ride. Its great specially this time of the year being quite scenic.
But that's not where the fun of driving is, I feel!

My first of the three mentioned trips to Pune was pretty normal. Through Amboli. Where the term road has become near to extinct!! After hitting nh4 is pretty normal.
I came back to Goa via AMBA ghat. It is a little longer than the usual route, but the road takes you through some amazing turns! One then ends up on the Nh17, about 200 kms before Rajapur. If you love state highways with good quality roads, then this is the one for you! Take the Pachad exit just after Karad on nh4 for this route.

Second trip was in the fusion through Chorla ghat and back through Radhanagri( through kolhapur) to Goa. Road quality of radhanagri not being great, its still better than what amboli is today!!
For the record, I stay in north Goa and approach to Chorla is not an issue. Please remember to bypass old Goa, as till Jan end crowds are going to be pulling up for the ongoing exposition.

Many might ridicule me for the route taken on my third trip back to Goa. On the way to pune I went again through Chorla. On the way back I managed to start pretty early from pune and had ample time. I decided to cut across mahabaleshwar and then go via nh17. Its called the AMBENALI ghat. This is truly where the fun lies. I loved the turns on this one. Road quality still better than amboli. Road gets pretty narrow at some points and is without barricades at some!! Not that its safe!! Coupled with that, and the vast remaining nh17 stretch which I absolutely love, it took me about 10 hours to reach Goa. Again, its not the shortest of the routes at all. But for those who would love a little extra spin on the wheel, this is definitely the route!!

I've always made my Pune/Mumbai trips from Goa and back during day time. I'm guessing its a safe bet not to stay onto any that after dark. Be it amba, Radhanagri, ambenali, gaganbawda, amboli or Chorla, they're ALL pretty lonely. Having traffic around you, or depending for the same is a matter of chance I feel.

Drive safe!!
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 14:38   #1530
BHPian

Just came back from Goa this week.
Latest road updates:

Pune-Satara- Always a mess. Potholes, diversions and the mismanaged traffic. No Service lanes means complete towns and villages on the highway.This route has been the same for years and years.
Nevertheless did this stretch between 4-6 AM

Satara-Kolhapur -is pothole free and hassle free. No issues

Kolhapur -Nippani- God bless KA for the lovely roads. I don't think we need to mention anything about roads in KA

Nippani- Uttar-Ajra- The road is ok. Some bumps but no major potholes or broken roads. its the same as I experienced it in April and August this year.

Ajra-Amboli- Sawantwadi-
Sunday: NO roads at most places. Huge potholes on existing road stretches.
Tuesday while returning- 70 % of the non ghat section was surfaced. I am sure the work will be completed within a few days for a hassle free ride
The ghat section still though is a pain

Because of the current road conditions, this route now takes 7+ hours

Most Viewed