Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 13:02   #1651
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
What are the toll amounts from Pune to Anjuna? (Via Amboli). Will be leaving Pune tomorrow morning at 5AM.
Amounts are 80 + 55 + 70 + 70 from Pune to Nipani
Goa entry 250 post Sawantwadi, which can be bypassed if you know the interior roads.
Old 26th June 2015, 19:20   #1652
BHPian

Hi experts,

Will be travelling from Pune to Ashvem tomorrow morning. I know that I have to take NH4 till Kolhapur. But don't know what to do after that in terms of which are the good roads from there till Ashvem in terms of road surface and travel time.

Kindly suggest some points if I have to take diversions before or after Kolhapur and I will mark them in my Garmin.
Old 27th June 2015, 01:17   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Kindly suggest
From Kolhapur you may take the Gaganbawda ghat(through Kolhapur itself), to come down on Nh 17 and make your way straight into Goa. Or you may choose to take the Amboli route through Nipani/snakeshwar, eventually heading into sawantwadi and then into Goa.
A lot have now found CHORLA as an alternative route to come into Goa.
For CHORLA, you will have to take the nh4 till belgaum. Exit nh4 in belgaum city ( now Belagavi). Search for CHORLA in your navigation system. A major landmark in CHORLA ghats is the Wildernest resort. Once you are done with the ghat you will be entering Goa through Sanquelim. You may choose to go to Bicholim (north Goa) and then to nh17, from where ashvem is straight forward. Alternatively, take the old Goa road to come into Panjim, and there on to ashvem. A lot of mapping required here.

Roads through CHORLA have zero potholes! I have recently taken this route while coming back to Goa from Pune. Roads leading into goa through sanquleim are great!

Hope this helps. Drive safe.
Old 30th June 2015, 14:41   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
From Kolhapur you may take the Gaganbawda ghat(through Kolhapur itself), to come down on Nh 17 and make your way straight into Goa. Or you may choose to take the Amboli route through Nipani/snakeshwar, eventually heading into sawantwadi and then into Goa.
A lot have now found CHORLA as an alternative route to come into Goa.
For CHORLA, you will have to take the nh4 till belgaum. Exit nh4 in belgaum city ( now Belagavi). Search for CHORLA in your navigation system. A major landmark in CHORLA ghats is the Wildernest resort. Once you are done with the ghat you will be entering Goa through Sanquelim. You may choose to go to Bicholim (north Goa) and then to nh17, from where ashvem is straight forward. Alternatively, take the old Goa road to come into Panjim, and there on to ashvem. A lot of mapping required here.

Roads through CHORLA have zero potholes! I have recently taken this route while coming back to Goa from Pune. Roads leading into goa through sanquleim are great!

Hope this helps. Drive safe.
Thanks humbleroadster. I had already started for Goa before your reply. I took the Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi route and reached Ashvem. This route is overall good but does have portions with potholes. Next time I will try the Chorla route.
Old 12th July 2015, 21:51   #1655
BHPian

Leaving Pune to Goa via Belgaun and chorla on 30 july. Will make an early start from Pune at 6 am. Which is a good place to have early lunch at belgaun keeping in mind that the place should not be much of a diversion in the city. Any suggestions?
Old 13th July 2015, 00:01   #1656
BHPian

Hi guys need some advice. Will be traveling to goa on 16th July was wondering which route will be better. Via Belgaum and choral ghat or nipani-amboli-sawantwadi? All this considering roads conditions during monsoons although there have been not much rains at least in mumbai.
Thanks guys.
Old 13th July 2015, 02:52   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi guys need some advice. Will be traveling to goa on 16th July was wondering which route will be better. Via Belgaum and choral ghat or nipani-amboli-sawantwadi? All this considering roads conditions during monsoons although there have been not much rains at least in mumbai.
Thanks guys.
Considering the current state of roads, there is no doubt you should go via Belgaum. The route might be slightly longer (25kms or so) but it is worth it. KA roads are butter smooth and when I did travel through Chorla (return from Goa to Pune), I remember no speed breakers.
However, be cautious to cover Chorla Ghat before dark. A little bot of Googling would tell you that man-eating tigers have attacked 2 ladies recently in the ghat and a tiger made entry on the road at 7:30 PM. However, these are one-off instances only.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:54   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Considering the current state of roads, there is no doubt you should go via Belgaum. The route might be slightly longer (25kms or so) but it is worth it. KA roads are butter smooth and when I did travel through Chorla (return from Goa to Pune), I remember no speed breakers.
However, be cautious to cover Chorla Ghat before dark. A little bot of Googling would tell you that man-eating tigers have attacked 2 ladies recently in the ghat and a tiger made entry on the road at 7:30 PM. However, these are one-off instances only.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply ameya. Current road conditions are the main concern during this season, tigers not withstanding . I dont mind the longer route. Has anyone traveled recently by these routes? Nipani - Amboli I hear is risky during monsoons due to land slides. your inputs are much appreciated. I have accounted for 12 hrs total travel time leaving by 4 am thane. Is that reasonable at all? inputs inputs people! thanks!
Old 13th July 2015, 22:09   #1659
BHPian

Hey,

I think other comments in this thread can shed light on recent road conditions. But, I would still opt for KA roads in place of MH roads as KA are definitely far well maintained. When I traveled in March 2015, the road condition of Gaganbawda Ghat was pathetic even during winter. I wouldn't prefer Nipani - Amboli due to the bad roads and the fact that Chorla/Mollem goes right through a wildlife sanctuary.

Where inside Goa are you heading decides if you should take Chorla Ghat road or Mollem ghat. Mollem Ghat road work was completed recently from what I understand. Remember to take the correct turns after crossing Belgaum city.

12 hours is a perfect estimate from Thane, considering the lunch breaks. Just be sure about the timings, you would easily cross Satara before the 2-wheelers/tractors/mini-trucks convert NH4 from a highway to a city road. Be specific to cross Kolhapur at the earliest in the morning, the Pune - Kolhapur stretch is the only section that can slow you down.

Nevertheless, 2 incidences that I remember while returning from Chorla in March 2015.
i) We were stopped by locals for donating towards construction of a local temple. 20 rs/- donation
ii) Eunuchs dancing in the middle of street blocking the road. A group of people surrounding them were going to each car for collecting money. We had to shell 10/- Rs again to get free.

It's a safe route though, looks like these social elements were only trying to compensate for the absence of toll! All I am trying to emphasize is to avoid Chorla post-sunset.
Old 14th July 2015, 00:59   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply ameya. Current road conditions are the main concern during this season, tigers not withstanding . I dont mind the longer route. Has anyone traveled recently by these routes? Nipani - Amboli I hear is risky during monsoons due to land slides. your inputs are much appreciated. I have accounted for 12 hrs total travel time leaving by 4 am thane. Is that reasonable at all? inputs inputs people! thanks!
Hey, please check the response in previous message where I did not quote your message. I missed out on one thing, entry into Belgaum and out can be a little tricky. If you are at the mercy of Google/Bing/Apple Maps, that should easily help you navigate in and out of the city as it isn't large. Else, Jawaharlal Nehru College is a good landmark to inquire for the entry part a few kms after Sankeshwar.
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:29   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Hey, please check the response in previous message where I did not quote your message. I missed out on one thing, entry into Belgaum and out can be a little tricky. If you are at the mercy of Google/Bing/Apple Maps, that should easily help you navigate in and out of the city as it isn't large. Else, Jawaharlal Nehru College is a good landmark to inquire for the entry part a few kms after Sankeshwar.
Thanks a lot ameya! appreciate your inputs. I am still undecided on which route to take. other members have mentioned that the amboli-sawantwadi route is also in fair condition so might go that way. on the other hand i don't want to risk the delays or my car going through bad roads so.. decisions.. decisions!
guess i will know when i get there.

P.S. thanks for mentioning the Jawaharlal nehru collage landmark. was wondering which route to take in belgaum. thanks again!
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:43   #1662
BHPian

Hello,
Has anybody recently travelled through Gaganbawda ghat via Kolhapur? I'm planning to go to my native (Kudal, Dist.: Sindhudurg) over this weekend. Your valuable suggestions would help. Otherwise planning to take the Nipani-Ajara-Amboli route. Please suggest.
Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:19   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon R Rocks! View Post
Hello,
Has anybody recently travelled through Gaganbawda ghat via Kolhapur? I'm planning to go to my native (Kudal, Dist.: Sindhudurg) over this weekend. Your valuable suggestions would help. Otherwise planning to take the Nipani-Ajara-Amboli route. Please suggest.
Thanks.
Nipani-Ajara-Amboli route would be a better choice. Gaganbawda ghat is in terrible condition.
Old 16th September 2015, 23:06   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Pune to tarkarli

Friends,

I'm setting off for Tarkarli from Pune, early morning tomorrow. Can someone recommend which route to take after Kolhapur? I had driven on gaganbawda route some 8-9 years ago. It was in a great shape then. Any recent update after rains, much appreciated.

tia,
-BJ
Old 21st September 2015, 13:07   #1665

Hi Friends,

I am planning to go to Goa (Candolim) on Oct 2nd. I have already been there via Belgaum---Chorla--Thivim route. Just wanted to check if anyone has recently been through Amboli Ghat and what is the condition of this route. Is it drivable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks