Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 10:36   #1726
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Total time from North Goa (Mapuca) to Santa Cruz Airport was 9 hours and 15 mins.
Left Goa at 0600 and was passing the airport at 1515.
This includes three stops for breakfast (the usual Sai International at Kolhapur), fuel and Mc'D's on the expressway.
Even if you exclude 15 minutes for each break (minimum), That's awesome time of 8h30m from Mapuca to MIAL

Guess leaving early from Goa really helps. Any other tips that might help, Suzuki san? My personal best is 10h15m with 2 breaks, that too via Sawantwadi-Amboli.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:50   #1727
BHPian

Hi Lokesh,

I would have done it even faster if I was going the other way as leaving Bombay early I avoid all the traffic of Bombay and Poona.

Actually the stop time was more like one hour as Sai International was in "go slow" mode. Also lost about another 40 to 50 minutes at the 8 toll booths - including expressway and Vashi.

No real tips except to keep an eye on the clock and adjust speed accordingly.
Total concentration on the road and try to "read" the traffic pattern ahead so you can zig-zag your way through the gaps with "judicious" use of a good horn and flashing of headlights in advance to warn the truckies. My wife is also continuously advising me on the status of the "left hand lane" and whether I can overtake or not. Sadly, this is the only way to drive on the highways these days as trucks and buses in the right (overtaking) lane refuse to move over.

Carry a lot of change for the toll booths and keep exact amounts ready. Try and pick the queue with private cars or ST buses. They tend to move faster. One ST bus = 3 cars. Avoid queues with trucks and/or the Tempo Trax/Sumo brigade as they usually get into an argument with the toll guys as they try to get through free of charge. However, all this is pure luck.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 12:55   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Lokesh,

I would have done it even faster if I was going the other way as leaving Bombay early I avoid all the traffic of Bombay and Poona.

Actually the stop time was more like one hour as Sai International was in "go slow" mode. Also lost about another 40 to 50 minutes at the 8 toll booths - including expressway and Vashi.
That brings your actual travel time to roughly 7.5 hours for roughly 600 kms. That's an average speed of 80
Old 27th November 2015, 07:45   #1729
BHPian

Drove from Mumbai to Goa on Monday, 23rd November, 2015 via Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla and made it in 9 hours with a 30 minutes pitstop at Hotel Sai International. Left Bandra West at 5.00 AM and was in Sankhli, Goa by 2.00 PM - a total distance of 575 km. No problem with respect to roads, but the numerous diversions between Pune and Satara slowed the drive considerably - I reckon I lost at least an hour.
Old 29th November 2015, 10:51   #1730
BHPian

Guys, planning a Mumbai - Goa trip on 5th Dec. Hows the Goa ways route now from Sankeshwar, via Amboli?
Planning to stay at Bardez, so i assume that this road would be the best option.

Secondly, I would only be able to leave Mumbai (Andheri W) at 10 AM and not before (although i would have liked to). This would mean that i cover the sections after Sankeshwar post dusk. Is it safe? I would be travelling with family so need to be extra careful.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:01   #1731
BHPian

Travelled from Pune to Goa-Candolim last week. Took Nipani - Amboli ghat route both ways. The road is more or less good. Google map worked well, though it lost signals at times, but came back quite quickly. We did not miss any turn and took around 8.5 hrs each way with a couple of bio breaks.
nug1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 20:19   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Left Goa at 0600 and was passing the airport at 1515.
Out of curiosity, can you tell the time you passed major landmarks, such as Belgaum, Kolhapur, Satara, etc.?
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:12   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
Out of curiosity, can you tell the time you passed major landmarks, such as Belgaum, Kolhapur, Satara, etc.?
Hi Tiger,
Left Goa (Mapuca) at 0600.
Was clear of Belgaum and joined NH4 at 0815.
Stopped at Sai International (approx 35 Kms past Kolhapur) at 10.00.
Left Sai International at 10.30.
Passed Satara at 11.30 and stopped to refuel and bio break for 15 mins. Not 100% sure of this particular time.
Passed entrance to Poona (Katraj) at 12.20.
Joined expressway at 13.05.
Stopped at McD's after Lonavla for about 15 minutes for snack and bio break.
Came off expressway (McD's at Panvel) at 14.10.
Used SCLR road and passed Santa Cruz airport at 15.15.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 13:44   #1734
BHPian

Hi Guys, will be leaving for goa on the 10th of this month haven't driven to Goa for a very long time. Will be traveling with family wanted to know which route will be better.

1. the nipani-amboli ghat
or
2.via Gaganbawda ghat.

not considering choral as will be staying in North Goa.
planning to leave by 5 am.

thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 08:12   #1735
BHPian

Take the nipani amboli route. Much better than gaganbawda. However I personally prefer chorla as the road condition is much better.
Old 5th December 2015, 16:54   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goan View Post
Take the nipani amboli route. Much better than gaganbawda. However I personally prefer chorla as the road condition is much better.
thanks Goan for the update.
Old 6th December 2015, 01:35   #1737
BHPian

Hi, has anyone done this route at night? (Like leaving bombay after dusk?) Could you please share your experience?
Old 6th December 2015, 11:31   #1738
BHPian

Hi alfaromeo1984,

I also live in North Goa but use the Chorla road all the time.
Yes! It is about 15 Kms longer and Yes! you do lose about 20 minutes in Belgaum but it's still worth it.
You spend more time on the main NH4 highway thereby making up for lost time in Belgaum and you avoid the "lumpy" drive which you get on the Nipani/Sankeshwar/Amboli road.
If you turn left once you cross under the Sanquelim bridge, you will exit this road at Mapuca (via Sanquelim, Bicholim, Assonora, and Tivim) on the NH17 - very much North Goa!!
I really do not know why some people have this fixation about using this road for South Goa only.
I have just driven up from Goa on this very same road and it is in excellent condition.
I have recommended this road to several friends over the last couple of years and every single one of them has been thankful for the same.
If you leave at 5 a.m. there is no reason why you can't be in Goa by 3 p.m.

I have traversed this road in the early morning, in pitch darkness, in dense fog and torrential rain.
I would like to add here that it has fast moving traffic and can be a bit lonely and it is not advisable to traverse this road at night - not because of any danger as such but more because there is no help available in case you need it. Mobile signals are also an issue.

On the other hand the same applies to the Amboli ghat, so take your pick. If you're happy with Amboli, go for it.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:48   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes! It is about 15 Kms longer and Yes! you do lose about 20 minutes in Belgaum but it's still worth it.
Completely agree. I offer the same advice to friends who are visiting North Goa. Instead of going via Mapusa, even if one turns right after Sanquelim, Panjim is not more than 35 kms via Marcel, Banastari bridge etc.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 11:45   #1740
BHPian

Guys,

Did Mumbai to Goa earlier last week. Took the Amboli route.
Left at 6 AM from Andheri and reached Baga Beach at 7 PM.

Driving Time: 11.5 hours
Stops: 1.5 hours

Had family in tow and drove sedately.
Not very happy with the Amboli route and I will advise against it as compared to Chorla. I did not like it mainly due to the patchy road conditions and the extremely curvy roads at Amboli ghat.
The good points are the breathtaking views at Amboli and the monkeys enroute which the kid enjoyed.

Further breakup of my drive as below.

Departure: 6 AM from Andheri
12:17 - Sai International
14:00 - Kognoli Toll Plaza
14:18 - Hotel Kaveri at Tawande Ghat
18:53 - Baga Beach.
Distance traveled: 590 KM

Paid roughly Rs. 750 towards toll (steepest of them being Rs. 250 as Goa entry charges!)
My AT Honda City returned a FE of 15 KMPL.

Last edited by @Chaand : 10th December 2015 at 11:49.
@Chaand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed