Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 10:23   #1996
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

back from konkan. Updates are here -

Road between Ajra and Amboli is in bit damaged but in patches. Not all that bad. One can comfortably maintain good speed in patches that are not damaged. In Amboli ghat road condition is good.

Mumbai -Goa Highway between Zarap and Kudal is in pathetic condition.

Zarap-Patradevi section is in excellent shape. Patradevi -Panaji is also in good shape.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 21:16   #1997
BHPian

The road from Ajara to Amboli ghat, and from the base of Amboli ghat to Sawantwadi has deteriorated compared to couple of months back. Lot of small potholes and a few big ones.

Not a deal breaker but certainly not a smooth experience and I had to slow down several times. Repair work was underway at a couple of spots.

Will be taking the Chorla route on the way out.
tiger_stripes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 17:19   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
The road from Ajara to Amboli ghat, and from the base of Amboli ghat to Sawantwadi has deteriorated compared to couple of months back. Lot of small potholes and a few big ones.

Not a deal breaker but certainly not a smooth experience and I had to slow down several times. Repair work was underway at a couple of spots.
Thanks for the inputs tiger_stripes. I will be driving out to Anjuna from Pune via Belgaum and Chorla on Wednesday morning, hoping to leave at 4 a.m., but have never left earlier than 6 a.m., no matter what I plan, so lets see

I always get confused at the last minute between Chorla and Amboli, your post helped me decide "again" on Chorla. I think Chorla is the best route for people with low slung sedans like mine.
Old 31st October 2016, 18:08   #1999
DWC
BHPian

Would some one be kind enough to show a picture of the route to Anjuna via Choria on Google maps. Specifically the point where we exit NH4 and head west to Goa. Planning a drive next month and am confused about the precise route to follow.
Old 31st October 2016, 18:35   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Would some one be kind enough to show a picture of the route to Anjuna via Choria on Google maps. Specifically the point where we exit NH4 and head west to Goa. Planning a drive next month and am confused about the precise route to follow.
Here you go:

Kolhapur - Chorla - Anjuna

It is quite simple really, (maybe because I have done it several times). You exit from NH4 where it tells you to enter Belagavi city. Then you follow the signboards in Belagavi all the way (there are many of them, and are quite helpful) which point towards Goa/Panjim/Mapusa/Chorla. Specifically follow Chorla. Once you are on the way to Chorla, it is the same road till you enter Goa. After that, follow the directions to Mapusa, drive through the town and then you can reach Anjuna.

All this is in the link which I have posted for the directions. You can just feed this into Google Maps, and it will navigate you perfectly till your destination without any glitches.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 20:32   #2001
BHPian

I travelled via gagan bawda last weekend and the road after kankawali was pathetic. Ghat section was also bad.
Amboli is relatively safe bet, except monsoon days. I have not tried Chorla yet.
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:25   #2002
BHPian

Returned last night from our trip to Goa (Candolim/Calangute area) and so wanted to share the route updates.
We took the Belgavi-Chorla route from Pune. And as mentioned before by other members, the roads continue to be in top quality.
While coming back, we took the Ajra-Amboli route. It seems some work has been done to cover up the broken surfaces in many places. While not perfectly smooth, you will not have to slow down. There are still some bad patches where you do have to slow down quite a bit, but they were few and not a deal breaker.

I preferred the Amboli route because I thought it was more scenic and the drive was more enjoyable. However, if I had older/senior folks or people with a severe nausea problem on board, I would prefer the Chorla route.
RubberSideDown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:49   #2003
t18
BHPian

Last Friday left for Goa and followed Google maps to the "T" as it was the first time I drove to goa all alone. Used the expressway route suggested by google. It was perfect till Amboli ghat. After that google suggested taking Banda route and that was the most pathetic patch. While coming back on Tuesday I went up to Sawantwadi and then took Amboli. This was a much better one.

So please avoid taking Banda route.
t18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 11:38   #2004
BHPian

Guys, need some help from experts here. I'm in Goa right now and let's just say because of some reasons I am not booked for return. This time took a flight out from Mumbai instead of my beloved Civic. Now, the flight fares are through the roof for tomorrow (07-nov) and my train tickets are on wait list which hasn't moved much yet. Does anyone know about any self driven car lease companies who can provide me a car in Goa and collect back in Mumbai? I have tried Myles, zoom car and ilks - but no luck. Have a kid in tow, so car quality has to be decent if not super. Need it tomorrow. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, cheers!
Old 6th November 2016, 11:58   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Guys, need some help from experts here. I'm in Goa right now and let's just say because of some reasons I am not booked for return. This time took a flight out from Mumbai instead of my beloved Civic. Now, the flight fares are through the roof for tomorrow (07-nov) and my train tickets are on wait list which hasn't moved much yet. Does anyone know about any self driven car lease companies who can provide me a car in Goa and collect back in Mumbai? I have tried Myles, zoom car and ilks - but no luck. Have a kid in tow, so car quality has to be decent if not super. Need it tomorrow. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, cheers!
I am not sure if you had checked with "Selfdrive.in". https://m.selfdrive.in/index.php#

It's a Pune based firm and is touted to be India's first ever self driven car rental service. They operate in Pune,Mumbai and Goa. From what I know, their cars can be picked in Pune and dropped in Mumbai and vice versa. But the same was not applicable for Goa, the last time I checked their website. However, you can contact their office and enquire in case there have been any recent changes. I mean if they can provide you a Goa pick up and Bombay drop off.

Last edited by vivek95 : 6th November 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Adding URL
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 13:07   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am not sure if you had checked with "Selfdrive.in". https://m.selfdrive.in/index.php#

It's a Pune based firm and is touted to be India's first ever self driven car rental service. They operate in Pune,Mumbai and Goa. From what I know, their cars can be picked in Pune and dropped in Mumbai and vice versa. But the same was not applicable for Goa, the last time I checked their website. However, you can contact their office and enquire in case there have been any recent changes. I mean if they can provide you a Goa pick up and Bombay drop off.
Thanks, spoke to them. They do have cars in Goa, but don't have a service where one can drop the car in any other city :(
Old 6th November 2016, 13:45   #2007
BHPian

I'm back from a 3-day road trip to South Goa. I took the following routes.

From Pune to Goa - Pune->Belgavi->Khanapur->Shiroli->Anmod->Bandoli->Benaulim->Varca

From Goa to Pune - Varca->Ponda->Sanquelim->Chorla->Belgavi->Pune

Roads on both the routes are in very good condition and Chorla ghat is a true driver's delight!!

HTH
RishikeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 13:45   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Thanks, spoke to them. They do have cars in Goa, but don't have a service where one can drop the car in any other city :(
If you are okay with travelling by Volvo buses, I think that's the best option left. Volvos from Goa to Bombay take the Gaganbawda ghat-Kolhapur-NH4-Pune route. There are plenty of Volvo/Scania buses on this route.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:51   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I'm back from a 3-day road trip to South Goa. I took the following routes.

From Pune to Goa - Pune->Belgavi->Khanapur->Shiroli->Anmod->Bandoli->Benaulim->Varca

From Goa to Pune - Varca->Ponda->Sanquelim->Chorla->Belgavi->Pune

Roads on both the routes are in very good condition and Chorla ghat is a true driver's delight!!

HTH
Great advice ! Took the "Pune->Belgavi->Khanapur->Shiroli->Anmod->Bandoli->Benaulim->Varca" route on the way back from Palolem(south goa) to Pune yesterday and it was perfect. Great roads, especially the wildlife sanctuary in between was pretty cool.
Google maps on the iphone is as accurate as it gets. Who needs a GPS sticking up the dashboard

Here's my advice to all Pune Goa travelers:

If u going to North goa - take Nipani >Amboli route
If u going to Madgaon (Colva, Varca etc) - take Ponda > Chorla Ghats
If u going to South (Palolem, Agonda, Patnem) - take the Khanapur->Shiroli->Anmod->Bandoli route
Old 14th November 2016, 17:58   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post

Here's my advice to all Pune Goa travelers:

If u going to North goa - take Nipani >Amboli route
If u going to Madgaon (Colva, Varca etc) - take Ponda > Chorla Ghats
If u going to South (Palolem, Agonda, Patnem) - take the Khanapur->Shiroli->Anmod->Bandoli route
Sir,

I second your opinion about route to Madgaon and further down.

Anyone travelling to Madgaon or South is advised to take Khanapur - Anmod - Margao route.

Reason, Not only it is shortest route, it is also widest route among options available. (Barring narrow roads between Anmod Check post till Khanapur through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary).

Route through Chorla being state highway I sometimes struggle to keep steady pace.

I reside in Margao and travel to Belgaum & beyond at least twice in a month. Usually it takes me two and half hours or little more to cross Belgaum (depending on time of travel).

Itinerary I follow,

Fatorda (Margao) - Anmod Check post - 1.15 hrs (Steady pace of 75-85Kmph)
Anmod Check post - Khanapur - 35 - 45 mins (60-70 Kmph)
Khanapur - Belgaum out skirts - 35-45 mins (70-80 Kmph)

Also while travelling towards Palolem, I would recommend to take Margao route and take bypass towards Canacona after reaching Margao. Honestly I have never traveled through Bandoli towards Canacona or vice versa but definitely the roads will be narrower compared to NH-4A (Belgaum-Goa highway) and NH66 (Panvel - Goa- Kanyakumari highway).
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks