Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2017, 13:18   #2221
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Total time taken on the return leg was almost the same, but split in 2 stages as we stayed in Kolhapur to visit the Mahalaxmi temple.
Can you give some more details on your stay in Kolhapur? I am thinking of staying there for a day to visit the temple as well on my way back from Goa. Where did you stay? Any tips?

Last edited by pickdj : 20th November 2017 at 13:18. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 20th November 2017, 13:46   #2222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
What would be a good time after midnight to depart from Vashi, Navi Mumbai on Friday evening (Saturday early morning)? I have an uncle who will be back from work post midnight (usual schedule, he is a doc) and will be coming with us. Destination is Dharwad.

Have done this trip multiple times a year, but haven't departed in the night since the last two years. I'm more concerned with the slow trucks in the climb of Khambhakti Ghat, which would cause a lot of annoyance.

I plan to halt either at SAI International near Kolhapur (approx 330 km from Vashi) or Goa phata (fork to Goa) after Nipani (around 404 km) for breakfast. Fuel stops not considered as range is sufficient for one way + will refuel only in KA due to the cheaper fuel.
I have prepared sample itinerary for your travel. Since you have asked for good time to start from Vashi, I have taken liberty to consider it as 1.30 AM.

1.30 AM - START FROM VASHI
3.00 AM - END OF EXPRESSWAY
3.45 AM - KHED SHIVAPUR TOLL (BREAK FOR TEA AFTER TOLL or BEFORE GHAT)
7.00 AM - KOLHAPUR BYPASS
7.45 AM - HOTEL GOA VES
8.30 AM - START FROM HOTEL GOA VES (AFTER BREAKFAST)
10.30 AM - REACH DHARWAD

By the time you start climbing ghat most of the truckers will be resting. If you can start at 1.00 AM, nothing like it. You will not encounter any slow moving traffic en route. Please make sure you break for tea (or even a power nap) at regular intervals (probably 2 breaks for entire journey).

Happy Journey
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 13:50   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Can you give some more details on your stay in Kolhapur? I am thinking of staying there for a day to visit the temple as well on my way back from Goa. Where did you stay? Any tips?
I stayed at Hotel K Square which is located here. Rooms are spacious & clean and tariff is in the range of Rs.2500-3000 for a double AC room (incl. breakfast), depending on how well you can bargain. There are lots of similar hotels in that general area (between Tara Rani Statue and Dabholkar Corner), so you can take your pick. From here, an auto will cost you Rs.50-60 till the Mahalaxmi temple.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th November 2017 at 13:51.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 14:24   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm more concerned with the slow trucks in the climb of Khambhakti Ghat
Barring small section in Khambataki that is getting relaid, road width is good enough for overtaking.

Quote:
which would cause a lot of annoyance
Annoyance to whom? Even truck drivers would feel cars/bikes annoying in night time .

Quote:
will refuel only in KA due to the cheaper fuel.
Saw few pumps in KA having big boards with 'Petrol cheaper by Rs. 6 compared to MH'.

Road condition in Nipani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli route

Road near Uttur is getting wider, some section on both sides & few on one side. Road repairs via patch work is going on at many places, be it closer to Ajra or Sawantwadi. Road surface isn't smooth, but better than potholed version earlier. Loose gravel or fine stone dust that gets sprinkled on such patches is a bother.

Amboli ghat: It's a mix of good & bad. Smooth tarmac pleases you at times however potholes are just waiting at corners to greet you. Section closer to Danoli is worst and corners are in the most deteriorated condition. Didn't see any ongoing road repair work and re-layering done 1.5/2 years back hasn't been that good or blame it on heavy rains in this monsoon.

Sawantwadi: Exit via Shiroda naka/SH123 (suggested by Sawyer) is very good, not much traffic as well. Didn't check city road, but sure that patch work would be ongoing/planned.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 14:29   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Luxury - Sayaji and Citrus.else Madhuri Executive,Classic Midtown are all good and at walking distance from the temple.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 14:45   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I have prepared sample itinerary for your travel. Since you have asked for good time to start from Vashi, I have taken liberty to consider it as 1.30 AM.

Happy Journey
Thanks a lot for this. This seems perfect for me. I will be having another well rested person who can drive with me. And my rule is - the moment I feel drowsy, I pull aside to the next dhaba/fuel bunk and take a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Barring small section in Khambataki that is getting relaid, road width is good enough for overtaking.
Yeah, I saw that road yesterday itself. You didn't come.

Quote:
Annoyance to whom? Even truck drivers would feel cars/bikes annoying in night time.
Mostly to me. I hate truckers occupying all the lanes and overtaking each other with a speed difference of 1 km/h. So rather than force them to change their habits, I resort to adjusting my time of departure.

Quote:
Saw few pumps in KA having big boards with 'Petrol cheaper by Rs. 6 compared to MH'.
Yup. Refueled @69.50 sometime in October in KA. That was such a relief considering the MH rates were touching the 80s back then.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 12:03   #2227
BHPian

Am riding from Pune to Palolem beach today, google maps is recommending Pune - Belagavi - Anmod - Mollem route. This road is also known as the Panjim - Belagavi road.
How are the road conditions on this route?
I know the Chorla ghat route, but there are reports that roads around Sanquelim are bad.

Last edited by abeerbagul : 21st November 2017 at 12:04.
abeerbagul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 13:32   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Am riding from Pune to Palolem beach today, google maps is recommending Pune - Belagavi - Anmod - Mollem route. This road is also known as the Panjim - Belagavi road.
I know the Chorla ghat route, but there are reports that roads around Sanquelim are bad.
No problems with the route,if you take the Chorla route you would need to backtrack quite a bit.Around evenings,fog might set in on the Anmod/Mollem ghats so bear that in mind.
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 15:27   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Chorla road is complete no-no if you have to reach Palolem from Pune. Follow google.
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:48   #2230
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have just driven up from Goa and stopped overnight in Poona.

I used the Chorla Ghat as usual and happy to say that the road is still in very good condition. There are a total of about 5 or 6 potholes (Yes! Just 5 or 6 on the whole stretch) across the road near the sharp turns but not an issue at all. One can easily swerve around them. Apart from that the road is excellent. There were some doubts by other members about the Sanquelim section but I think the road has been repaired recently as that section is also in excellent condition. No issues whatsoever except for the damned speed breakers.

It took me 2 hours from Mapuca to Belgaum.
20 minutes to pass through Belgaum. I did not notice any roads closed or heavy traffic as reported bu other BHP'ians.
30 minutes from Belgaum to Nipani.
We stopped at Amar Restaurant (at the bottom of Tavande Ghat) for a quick breakfast. The stop lasted 30 minutes. Quick service and clean toilets. Food was OK.
20 minutes for a fuel stop and biological break after Satara.

Turned off the highway at Pashan to enter Poona at 13:00.
Took me a total of 6 hours and 45 minutes including stops for breakfast and fuel.
I would suggest that people use the Chorla Ghat not for anything else but to enjoy the wonderful stretch of road from Nipani to Belgaum. It really is a joy to drive on.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 16:22   #2231
BHPian

Quote:
Chorla road is complete no-no if you have to reach Palolem from Pune. Follow google.
Can you elaborate a bit? I am also driving to Palolem from Pune on the 2nd Dec and thought Chorla was the right route?
Old 24th November 2017, 17:22   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
thought Chorla was the right route?
Nope. If you drive through Chorla then you would be facing lot of local traffic. Till Sakhali (Sanquelim) it is breeze. Thereafter Goan traffic all the way till Palolem. Whereas if you choose to go through Anmod ghat, you will have a lot lesser traffic as you travel through Sanvordem.
Also being National Highway, roads through Anmod are comparatively wider.
If your destination is North Goa & you are travelling from Mumbai/Pune then it has to be Chorla ghat (Because of current conditions of Amboli Ghat roads). But if the destination is South Goa then I would stick to Anmod ghat route.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 24th November 2017 at 17:27.
Old 25th November 2017, 06:49   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your destination is North Goa & you are travelling from Mumbai/Pune then it has to be Chorla ghat (Because of current conditions of Amboli Ghat roads).
On this, I read a recent post that claimed 30 minutes for Nipani to Belgaum. If that be the case, and if Belgaum transit can be done in 20 minutes, that may still be the way to go even if Amboli conditions improve. I think I shall give Chorla another try on my next drive to Candolim.
In the same post, I also read about "damned speed breakers"! I concur, Goa loves its speed breakers. But that may also be because many high use roads are still narrow ones that run through villages.

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th November 2017 at 06:52.
Old 26th November 2017, 13:48   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
On this, I read a recent post that claimed 30 minutes for Nipani to Belgaum. If that be the case, and if Belgaum transit can be done in 20 minutes, that may still be the way to go even if Amboli conditions improve. I think I shall give Chorla another try on my next drive to Candolim.
In the same post, I also read about "damned speed breakers"! I concur, Goa loves its speed breakers. But that may also be because many high use roads are still narrow ones that run through villages.
Doing Nipani to Belgaum in 30 mins is insanely fast unless you are constantly flooring the pedal and doing 150-160 kmph. My friend has done this in his Swift in 30 mins but honestly it's insanely fast. The distance is 70 kms, so your average speed got to be 140 kmph to cover this stretch in 30 mins. The fastest I have driven Nipani to Belgaum is in 45 mins. Have driven Sankeshwar to Belgaum in 30 mins quite a few times (50 kms). Belgaum transit can be done in 20 mins, only during morning and night hours. It otherwise takes minimum 30 mins. As long as Amboli route remains in good condition, it is anyday the quickest route to get to North Goa for Pune/Mumbai folks.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 14:05   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
It took me 2 hours from Mapuca to Belgaum.
The stop lasted 30 minutes.
20 minutes for a fuel stop and biological break after Satara.
Took me a total of 6 hours and 45 minutes including stops for breakfast and fuel.
The reply to my post caused me to scratch my head and go back to this one.
The above quoted implies a non stop time of 6 hours - driving time - and 4 hours from Belgaum to Pune.
If 4 hours is indeed all that it takes from Belgaum to Pune, it is at speeds way above my risk appetite and skills. It would take me that long from Kolhapur to Pune.
My best time from Candolim to Pune on a non stop drive via Amboli starting at 4 am had me home at 11 am - 7 hours, but with zero breaks. 8 hours with a couple of breaks is the usual.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks