Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2017, 14:59   #2236
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Doing Nipani to Belgaum in 30 mins is insanely fast unless you are constantly flooring the pedal and doing 150-160 kmph. My friend has done this in his Swift in 30 mins but honestly it's insanely fast. The distance is 70 kms, so your average speed got to be 140 kmph to cover this stretch in 30 mins. The fastest I have driven Nipani to Belgaum is in 45 mins. Have driven Sankeshwar to Belgaum in 30 mins quite a few times (50 kms). Belgaum transit can be done in 20 mins, only during morning and night hours. It otherwise takes minimum 30 mins. As long as Amboli route remains in good condition, it is anyday the quickest route to get to North Goa for Pune/Mumbai folks.
Hi Vivek95,
Yes. I guess it was a bit insane but it was daytime and roads were surprisingly clear so I decided to enjoy the road and do an "Italian Tune Up"! I guess to be precise it may have taken 33 minutes but honestly it never felt scary.
Regards,
SS
Old 28th November 2017, 15:22   #2237
Senior - BHPian

An Update

So, did the Mumbai-Dharwad-Kolhapur-Mumbai trip over the weekend.

Faced the mother of all traffic jams on the Eway itself, in the ghat section. Left home at 1.30 am and could just reach the second toll plaza by 4 am. I would definitely advise taking the old road. I tried this as well but the seniors travelling with me were adamant to take the Eway. This delay meant we could reach Dharwad only by 10 am or so. Due to this delay, we had breakfast just before the Khambhatki Ghat start and a bio break at Konduskar BPCL Pump (Link).

Return leg was as follows-

Left Dharwad at 6pm and reached Kolhapur by 9.45 pm. This included a 10-min tea break somewhere near Belgavi.

Overnight at Kolhapur, left at 5.30 pm on Sunday and reached home by 12.45 am. Took frequent breaks and progress was slowed down by the sugarcane carrying tractors.

Car didn't have FasTag so those with the tags will have a faster trip. This was especially noticed on the return leg with almost all tolls having long queues but the Fastag lanes were always clear except on the Mum-Pune Eway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I have prepared sample itinerary for your travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Barring small section in Khambataki that is getting relaid, road width is good enough for overtaking.

Last edited by blackwasp : 28th November 2017 at 15:25.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:31   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
Doing Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai towards the end of the month.

I'll be staying at Candolim on the first day (Monday), so taking the standard Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur and then turning off Nipani seems to be the better option. Will move to Varca the next day and then return after 4 nights through Chorla via the Belgavi-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai route (on Saturday, to avoid Sunday traffic).
Drive Update

Left from Andheri in Mumbai at about 2:45 am on November 27, crossed Pune by 5:45, crossed Kolhapur by 8:45 and stopped to fuel up a bit after. Drive till here was an absolute breeze. Went easy post taking the turn off Nipani towards North Goa, as the road's just about alright. Google Maps also screwed up a bit when it showed a patch around Pernem with traffic and took us to some desolate village stretch with potholed roads. However, managed to reach Candolim by 1:45 pm.

Roads across Goa are WONDERFUL as always - right from Arambol in the North to Palolem in the South. I wish BMC takes some lessons from them.

The drive back started from Varca at 4:45 am on December 2, since we didn't have much of a rush to get back to Mumbai. Took the Chorla ghat route, most of which is fine but there are some terribly potholed patches - didn't expect that. After a 10 minute car-check at the excise checkpost that killed our momentum, we pushed on. If you plan on driving through this stretch after dark, do go easy - those bad patches really rattle the car. The forest stretch after Chorla is not the smoothest, but not too bad either. Post Belgavi, did an easy 80 kmph for most of the way. A couple of leisurely stopovers till Mumbai and we were safely home by 4:15 pm.
hershlulla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 10:25   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
An Update

Car didn't have FasTag so those with the tags will have a faster trip. This was especially noticed on the return leg with almost all tolls having long queues but the Fastag lanes were always clear except on the Mum-Pune Eway.
I wonder does this work, when all vehicles occupy all lanes at the toll? Have never seen people leaving the FastTag lane empty. I use the tag in Mumbai, and even in this most organized of Indian cities (from the traffic perspective) - all rules break down at those rusty gates of hell.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:36   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Have never seen people leaving the FastTag lane empty. I use the tag in Mumbai, and even in this most organized of Indian cities (from the traffic perspective) - all rules break down at those rusty gates of hell.
Oh yes, the FasTag lanes are usually well demarcated so overall it helps - and a guy stands at the entrance with a barrier which is opened only when he identifies the tag on your car. On long trips, the overall time saved is pretty much 30-40 mins or at times even more for every 400 km you travel. Even if it takes the same time, there is no hassle of cash and the operator can't fudge records if all cars started paying in electronic forms. Also, you get 7.5% cashback and incase the scanner malfunctions, you go for free. So on the benefits side, apart from the time saved, there are some more which make FasTag a very good option for someone who travels frequently on the highways.

In Mumbai, the only well maintained ETC lanes are at the Airoli Toll and Sealink toll. Unfortunately, the FasTag doesn't work here. In Vashi it is chaos. Despite repeatedly complaining about it, no action has been taken.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:04   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Oh yes, the FasTag lanes are usually well demarcated so overall it helps - and a guy stands at the entrance with a barrier which is opened only when he identifies the tag on your car. On long trips, the overall time saved is pretty much 30-40 mins or at times even more for every 400 km you travel. Even if it takes the same time, there is no hassle of cash and the operator can't fudge records if all cars started paying in electronic forms. Also, you get 7.5% cashback and incase the scanner malfunctions, you go for free. So on the benefits side, apart from the time saved, there are some more which make FasTag a very good option for someone who travels frequently on the highways.
Thank you BlackWasp i will try it out for sure.
Old 7th December 2017, 13:55   #2242
BHPian

I had a planned trip of Candolim and bit of south goa on 21st Dec. In view of the recent Cyclone Okchi, i am not sure if i should continue with the trip. What are your recommendations, considering that there is still 2 weeks to go. any idea if things would be back to normal?
Old 7th December 2017, 13:59   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
I had a planned trip of Candolim and bit of south goa on 21st Dec. In view of the recent Cyclone Okchi, i am not sure if i should continue with the trip. What are your recommendations, considering that there is still 2 weeks to go. any idea if things would be back to normal?
Friends are currently in Goa. They said other than some impact on the shacks, other things are ok. No other storms predicted for that time

I wouldnt change my plans if I were in your place.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:56   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
Trust me, by the time you visit Goa, you will struggle to find signs/impact of cyclone . Mostly shacks were damaged as effect of cyclone but things are getting to normal at a steady pace (Shack owners loose around 25K per day if they are not operational). Absolutely no worries to visit Goa.

P.S. - Please be ready to embrace traffic jams & snarled up traffic because of tourist season.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 00:00   #2245
BHPian

What is the best route from Pune to Dona Paula in Goa?
I am tempted to take Belgaum-Chorla-Sanquelim-Carambolim route.

Any suggestions?
I heard Amboli route has some bad patches on the ghats near Sawantwadi.
My friend had traveled in last week and November and preferred Chorla on his way back
Old 21st December 2017, 10:24   #2246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
What is the best route from Pune to Dona Paula in Goa?
Chorla works best for destination as Dona Paula. But I do recollect that there was some road work (ROB) going in Belgaum city area that may end up consuming more time than usual to cross the city during the day time.

Quote:
I heard Amboli route has some bad patches on the ghats near Sawantwadi.
Couple of Bad patches and if good road is what you are looking for, Chorla works best.

The advantage with Amboli will be that you don't have to drive down all the way to Belgaum (easily takes 45 mins from Gadhinglaj Turn off), then traverse through Belgaum from one end to another to reach the route for Chorla.

Needless to say, Belgaum (Chorla) makes an ideal break point when compared to Amboli ghat route.
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:50   #2247
BHPian

Guys I'm driving down from Mumbai to Goa tomorrow morning and was wondering if the regulars on this route would able to advise on the latest condition of the roads?

I'm tempted to take the Chorla route but I know there were a lot of intermediate patches of work going on with heavy dumper truck movements.

While Amboli is shorter for me the holiday rush and narrow roads are not very tempting.

Would really appreciate if anyone who's done Goa recently can please update on the Chorla section

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:56   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Guys I'm driving down from Mumbai to Goa tomorrow morning and was wondering if the regulars on this route would able to advise on the latest condition of the roads?

I'm tempted to take the Chorla route but I know there were a lot of intermediate patches of work going on with heavy dumper truck movements.

While Amboli is shorter for me the holiday rush and narrow roads are not very tempting.

Would really appreciate if anyone who's done Goa recently can please update on the Chorla section

Thanks
Where in Goa? If you specify the location, it will be easier to guide.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:00   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Where in Goa? If you specify the location, it will be easier to guide.

I'll be headed first to Panjim to drop my friend off then head back to Mapusa. Within Goa is not a problem being a non resident Goan .. just that I haven't driven to Goa for over 3 years. So needed to figure out if Chorla was up to date and worth driving the longer route to Panjim straight rather than first break journey in Mapusa for which Ajra Amboli would be better
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:19   #2250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I'll be headed first to Panjim to drop my friend off then head back to Mapusa. Within Goa is not a problem being a non resident Goan .. just that I haven't driven to Goa for over 3 years. So needed to figure out if Chorla was up to date and worth driving the longer route to Panjim straight rather than first break journey in Mapusa for which Ajra Amboli would be better
Chorla was just fine when I travelled towards end of October. Took the Chorla - Sanquelim - Bicholim - Assonora - Tivim route to travel to an area between Calangute & Baga. Same route can be used to travel to Mapusa/Panaji, whichever one you visit first. I seem to remember that this route is longer than the Amboli one by only 25-30 kms.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd December 2017 at 11:22.

Most Viewed