Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:30   #2251
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I'll be headed first to Panjim to drop my friend off then head back to Mapusa.
Stick to Amboli route. You will reach Mapusa quicker by this route. You will not take more than half an hour to reach Panjim from Mapusa thereafter. You might come across snarled up traffic at Mandovi bridge (due to 3rd bridge construction). By taking above route you will avoid getting into the Belgaum city. Also you will come across lesser traffic as people travelling to North Goa from Bangalore/Belgaum/Hubli tend to take Chorla route. Chorla will be much crowded during this period of year compared to Amboli route.

Quote:
Within Goa is not a problem being a non resident Goan .. just that I haven't driven to Goa for over 3 years.
Trust me, it is not only you but for others too it won't be a problem to drive in Goa for being non-resident.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:12   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Stick to Amboli route. You will reach Mapusa quicker by this route. You will not take more than half an hour to reach Panjim from Mapusa thereafter. You might come across snarled up traffic at Mandovi bridge (due to 3rd bridge construction). By taking above route you will avoid getting into the Belgaum city. Also you will come across lesser traffic as people travelling to North Goa from Bangalore/Belgaum/Hubli tend to take Chorla route. Chorla will be much crowded during this period of year compared to Amboli route.

Trust me, it is not only you but for others too it won't be a problem to drive in Goa for being non-resident.

Thank you. Lol. I know what you mean, being a Goan Catholic by descent though brought up in Bombay.. Goa still has family & roots for me but as a bardezkar I meant I don't struggle to find my way around Goa. I last drove to Goa more than a couple of years back so haven't been up to date with the road conditions. I have a family bungalow in Belgaum as well so it's ok if I go through Belgaum as well.. just that as you rightly said.. I'll lose time
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:04   #2253
BHPian

Hi Friends.

I intend to drive from Belgaum to Palolem in South Goa this week? Which road would you suggest? Chorla or Anmod or Amboli?

I have driven a few years ago through Chorla and liked the drive a lot as I was staying in North Goa, so it worked out. I intend to do the same but my destination this time is South Goa. Do suggest in light of holiday season and road conditions. Btw, 3 year old daughter travelling with me.
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:18   #2254
BHPian

Chorla would ideally still be better for you and as other members have confirmed, the road is in good condition so it shouldn't be a problem. For south Goa chorla works out better if your journey starts in Belgaum
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:58   #2255
BHPian

Thanks for the reasurance. Some friend suggested Anmod route.
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:26   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor3624 View Post
Thanks for the reasurance. Some friend suggested Anmod route.
For Palolem, I would recommend the Anmod route over the Chorla route for time/ distance reasons.
However, I am not aware of the current road conditions, perhaps someone else who has travelled that route recently can update
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:16   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For Palolem, I would recommend the Anmod route over the Chorla route for time/ distance reasons.
However, I am not aware of the current road conditions, perhaps someone else who has travelled that route recently can update
Stick to Anmod route. Barring potholes (big one) at 3-4 sharp turns in Anmod ghat, road from Belgaum till Goa is in pristine condition. For Palolem you can travel via Savordem. Taking Chorla route to reach Palolem from Belgaum is absolute no-no.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 23:54   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to Anmod route. Barring potholes (big one) at 3-4 sharp turns in Anmod ghat, road from Belgaum till Goa is in pristine condition. For Palolem you can travel via Savordem. Taking Chorla route to reach Palolem from Belgaum is absolute no-no.

Is Chorla that bad at this time? From a road condition or traffic perspective as you mentioned previously?
Old 23rd December 2017, 00:02   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Is Chorla that bad at this time? From a road condition or traffic perspective as you mentioned previously?
I was kind of expecting this question 😀. Please refer post #2232.
Old 26th December 2017, 18:40   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen,
I will be driving from Pune to Goa (Colva Beach), on 28th December. Please suggest the route that I should take. Amboli or Chorla.I got poor FE thru chorla route last time due to very frequent turns.
How is the latest condition of the roads ?
Old 26th December 2017, 20:38   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Gentlemen,
I will be driving from Pune to Goa (Colva Beach), on 28th December. Please suggest the route that I should take. Amboli or Chorla.I got poor FE thru chorla route last time due to very frequent turns.
No problems with road conditions on either route,since its Colva you can go via Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Colva.Should take you around 4 hours from Belgaum to Colva.

https://goo.gl/maps/tJoLGr7pmjv

Quote:
Gentlemen
There are ladies as well on the forum
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 12:40   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,
Pune-Belgaum-Anmod-Margao-Colva. Do not think of any other route. In fact I would recommend everyone on forum to avoid Amboli ghat route if you want to travel to South Goa. Traffic tends to move at slower pace between Porvorim & Margao due to construction of Bridge on river Mandovi & bridge construction at Cortalim (Zuari bridge).
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 20:55   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune-Belgaum-Anmod-Margao-Colva. Do not think of any other route. In fact I would recommend everyone on forum to avoid Amboli ghat route if you want to travel to South Goa. Traffic tends to move at slower pace between Porvorim & Margao due to construction of Bridge on river Mandovi & bridge construction at Cortalim (Zuari bridge).
Hi All,

I drove today to Colva beach from Pune. Started from Pune ( Wagholi ) at 6:50 am and reached Colva at 5:10 pm.

I took the route suggested by Ranjit. Heavy traffic at toll plazas lost close to 1hr cumulative, waiting at toll plazas.

The route after Belgaum was tricky to say the least. We drove thru some wildlife sanctuary on a narrow singe lane road. After that we went thru some ghat with heavy truck traffic.

I was really tired at the end of the trip.

I am not sure if I lost the route somewhere.

I am planning to exit Goa early on the return trip and take the Chorla ghat route.
Old 28th December 2017, 22:15   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Road condition update

Amboli ghat: Most potholes have been filled, road surface isn't that smooth (compared to Chorla) but far better than what it was in November.

Chorla ghat: Section in Goa is in bad shape in some corners, somewhat similar to how Amboli was last month. Some pipes are getting laid, so usable road is only 1.5 lanes. Potholes in corners are bad & most appear unannounced. Section in Karnataka is in far better shape except 2 corners, upper layer of road is gone.

I had stopped at Delta for breakfast, just few Kms after border checkpost.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla01.jpg
Pipe laying work
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chorla02.jpg
Part of one big pothole

Traffic was bad on highway (long weekend), saving grace for me was FasTag at few toll booths.

Toll amounts:
Khed-Shivapur: Rs. 85
Anewadi: Rs. 60
Tasawade: Rs. 70
Kini: Rs. 70
Kognoli: Rs. 60
Hattargi: Rs. 25

Quote:
Traffic tends to move at slower pace between Porvorim & Margao due to construction of Bridge on river Mandovi & bridge construction at Cortalim (Zuari bridge).
Experienced this slow moving traffic, Panjim to Vasco took me 1:45. Goa will be full of flyovers soon.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 23:07   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,
Despite my not so pleasant experience with the route thru Khanapur, I am planning to take the same route on my return journey to Pune, as Google is suggesting that this is the fastest route.
I am planning to start from Colva at 6 am tomorrow. Could you please suggest a halt for breakfast ?

Most Viewed