Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 10:51   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

While I prefer the Amboli route since I never go further south than Candolim, the more the good routes the better, by spreading the load.

Even with Chorla available, the increase in the number of road users overall means that traffic via Amboli has not thinned out.

And all the roads are great roads to journey on, after leaving the fast but very boring NH4.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th March 2018 at 10:54.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 12:24   #2297
BHPian

Did Bombay - Goa on the Holi long weekend, and took the Mumbai-Pune Expressway - and then NH4 until Nipani, followed by Amboli Ghat and SH180 to join the old Mumbai - Goa highway. Took 9 hrs 20 mins driving time for a total distance of 560 kms, and took 2 stops along the way. The road is in excellent condition, including the Ghat and state highway.

On the way back (left Goa at 7am), followed Google Maps, which recommended we join SH180 via the Redi - Belagavi Road (near the Banda Bus Stand). Not the best idea, as the road is in pretty poor condition and is quite narrow. However, still completed the drive to Bombay in 8 hrs 50 mins which was excellent timing. No queues at the toll boothes, very minimal traffic throughout and reached Bombay before rush hour, so was home in record time.

Was my first Bombay - Goa drive, and based on this experience, can be done more often!

Special thanks to all the route recommendations on this thread, as well as the best places to stop, was very helpful indeed.
Old 9th March 2018, 14:15   #2298
BHPian

I am driving down from Vashi to Cavelossim, Goa on the 29th of march. Would be wiser to try the chorla ghat or do I stick to Amboli? My reason being that since the final destination is Cavelossim , wouldn't it make sense to avoid the Panjim traffic etc? I am travelling with a 6 year old so I prefer the safest route with ease of drive as a priority. Any suggestions.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:13   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I am driving down from Vashi to Cavelossim, Goa on the 29th of march. Would be wiser to try the chorla ghat or do I stick to Amboli? My reason being that since the final destination is Cavelossim , wouldn't it make sense to avoid the Panjim traffic etc? I am travelling with a 6 year old so I prefer the safest route with ease of drive as a priority. Any suggestions.
Cavelossim being in South Goa, it makes sense to by-pass the road through Panaji.

I had been through Chorla a couple of months back where the ghat had broken tarmac and civil works in progress along the sidelines on the narrow ghat making it cumbersome to drive comfortably and took more time to reach the destination.

I would suggest you to use the Anmod ghat which is in great condition and travel in day-time as the roads to leading to Goa are narrow and through Jungles post Belgaum.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 10:24   #2300
BHPian

Thanks Amey, could you also suggest some good stop over options for food? I am looking for kid friendly spaces.
How much time would it take from Belgaum to Goa via Anmod Ghat? I usually start at 6 am and reach belgaum by 12 noon. So needed to know if I should plan my day earlier to avoid driving through the jungles by sun down.
Also, do these routes have any time restrictions since its through the jungles?
thanks once again for the quick advice.
Anuj

Last edited by chittybang : 13th March 2018 at 10:33. Reason: correction and addition
Old 13th March 2018, 10:36   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much time would it take from Belgaum to Goa via Anmod Ghat? I usually start at 6 am and reach belgaum by 12 noon. So needed to know if I should plan my day earlier to avoid driving through the jungles by sun down.
Anuj
I sometimes use the Anmod route while coming back from Goa just for the heck of it, and it takes me about 3.5 hours from Margao to Belgaum (I have a Scorpio and am a very sedate driver).

The conventional route is Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-South Goa. Instead of going till Ramnagar, you have the option of a shortcut through the Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary (starts just after Khanapur town); don't know how its recent condition is, though. However, vehicles are allowed on this shortcut route only from 6 AM - 6 PM.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th March 2018 at 10:38.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:34   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amey, could you also suggest some good stop over options for food? I am looking for kid friendly spaces.
Anuj
Considering you start by 6am from Mumbai; reaching Belgaum by 12 noon is slightly a tight schedule with kids on-board.

I would suggest you to leave by 5am and have breakfast directly at Virangula, just before Satara; which is famous for light snacks. Further for lunch, if you are a non-veg lover you can stop at -

1. Hotel Dehati or Hotel Parakh at Kolhapur
2. Hotel Khyber or Hotel Sun and Sand at Belgaum.

Must orders -

1. Hotel Dehati - Special Mutton Thali
2. Hotel Parakh - Special Mutton Thali
3. Hotel Khyber - Mutton Biryani
4. Hotel Sun n Sand - Chinese starters, Kebabs and Chicken/Mutton Biryani

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 12:44   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Your destination is Cavelossim, which is south of South Goa . It doesn't make any sense to take Chorla route. As mentioned by Amey & Vikram stick to Anmod route. Once you descend ghat I would suggest you to take Sanvordem-Quepem-Cavelossim route or Sanvordem-Chandor-Cavelossim route. Any of these 2 routes should help you reaching destination faster.

Quote:
Anuj
I reside in Margao & have lost count of number times I have taken Anmod route. I normally break down the journey in several milestones & try to reach as per plan. Like,

Entrance of Belgaum city till Khanapur - 45 mins
Khanapur to Anmod Check post - 45 mins
Anmod Checkpost to Margao - 75 mins

So usually I cover the distance within 3 hours. I drive Ertiga/Scorpio & time mentioned is with 2 kids on board. You can knock off 15 minutes easily if you are solo driver.

Time restrictions have been mentioned by Vikram for route through Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary. Road is also in a decent condition barring few locations where road repair is in process.

I would avoid getting in Kolhapur city for the sake of food. As suggested by Amey you can start little early & reach Belgaum for lunch. Even if you depart Belgaum by 2.30 PM you should reach your destination by 6.30-7.00 PM easily.

For eateries, you will come across plenty of option as soon as you enter Belgaum. McD, KFC, Subway, Domino's are situate at the entrance of Belgaum.

If you do not want fast food then you can have lunch at Ramdev Hotel which will be few meters from above mentioned eateries. If you want to try authentic North Karnataka food then you can opt for thali at Basaveshwar khanaval, which is right next to Ramdev Hotel. (Amey has already mentioned non-veg options).

Have a safe journey,

Last edited by Ertigiat : 13th March 2018 at 12:46.
Ertigiat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:35   #2304
BHPian

Hi Folks

Would be driving down to Goa May end. Have booked a place at Majorda. Google suggest 2 routes, one via Amboli and another via Anmod. Though Amboli doesn't make sense, I am preferring Anmod.

Should I just follow what Google is suggesting? As google is notorious to put you through some horrible shortcuts.

Google Route

Belgaum-Khanapur-Shiroli-Anmod-Mollem-Camorlim-Nuvem-Majorda
Old 9th April 2018, 15:00   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post

Belgaum-Khanapur-Shiroli-Anmod-Mollem-Camorlim-Nuvem-Majorda
Road shown in map post Belgaum is perfectly fine. Please follow Gmaps all the way till your destination. But do read through previous posts for time restrictions on certain roads(Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary Road- No vehicle allowed from 6 PM to 6 AM).
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:38   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Road shown in map post Belgaum is perfectly fine. Please follow Gmaps all the way till your destination. But do read through previous posts for time restrictions on certain roads(Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary Road- No vehicle allowed from 6 PM to 6 AM).
Avoid the bhimgad wildlife sanctuary road, there is an alternate route thru Londa/Ramnagar, you will save a lot of time thru this route.

Last edited by F150 : 9th April 2018 at 21:41.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 11:31   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Avoid the bhimgad wildlife sanctuary road, there is an alternate route thru Londa/Ramnagar, you will save a lot of time thru this route.
I beg to differ. Road which is via Ramnagar is NH-748 (Erstwhile NH-4A) & is definitely not time saving one. In fact road through wildlife sanctuary cuts down your travel distance by at least 15-16 kms & saves minimum of 20-25 mins travel time. Forest road is narrow but without potholes. Roads have been repaired & tarmac is re-laid wherever required. If you travel during weekday you will reach from Khanapur to Anmod check post within 35 mins. Heavy vehicles are not allowed on this route so what you will come across is cars (occasionally trucks working for forest department) & traffic increases a little during weekend. But again nothing will be alarming. I will recommend this road (Wildlife Sanctuary road) anytime over National Highway.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 11:46   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I beg to differ. Road which is via Ramnagar is NH-748 (Erstwhile NH-4A) & is definitely not time saving one. In fact road through wildlife sanctuary cuts down your travel distance by at least 15-16 kms & saves minimum of 20-25 mins travel time. Forest road is narrow but without potholes. Roads have been repaired & tarmac is re-laid wherever required. If you travel during weekday you will reach from Khanapur to Anmod check post within 35 mins. Heavy vehicles are not allowed on this route so what you will come across is cars (occasionally trucks working for forest department) & traffic increases a little during weekend. But again nothing will be alarming. I will recommend this road (Wildlife Sanctuary road) anytime over National Highway.

I second that. The wildlife sanctuary road has even sparser traffic and is shorter as well. I always try to take this route when I travel to Palolem from Belgaum. It's open for 12 hours only : 6 am to 6 pm.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 12:25   #2309
BHPian

Thanks guys. If the road is good I will definitely opt for it. Timings won't be an issue as I will hit that road during peak afternoon, as I am planning to leave Mumbai at 4AM.

BTW any chance of wildlife spotting?

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 10th April 2018 at 12:26.
Old 10th April 2018, 13:48   #2310
BHPian

Last weekend I traveled from Pune to Candolim in Goa. I used the Chorla Ghat route. Beautiful roads and the motorcycle ride was all worth the extra 50km with respect to Amboli ghat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks