Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 23:26   #2371
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Guys,
Just driven up from Goa to Bombay using the Amboli Ghat. Sad to say that this road has deteriorated in the last month. The ghat section itself is fine but the road between Sawantwadi and Amboli and again between Amboli and Ajra is now pockmarked and rough with some very deep potholes which could catch you unawares. Still driveable but be aware of puddles on the road which could be concealing a large pothole. Also be aware of the unmarked speed breakers between Uttur and Nipani.
The main highway is still in good condition. A couple of potholes on the service roads at the diversions but so far they are still manageable.
Got stopped by Police outside Kolhapur for a "Document" check. Very thorough check. No worries.
Stopped again by Police just after the Tiswadi Toll Booth where I was told that the fog lamps on my car were illegal as per the Central Govt. Motor Vehicle Act." . It was daylight and I was not using the fog lights.
I was "let off" this time but was told that in future they would be fining drivers. I tried telling the cop that the fog lamps were necessary when driving in the ghats during the monsoons but he was not interested. I also explained that the fog lights were placed below the headlights and that was allowed. In turn I was told that any modification was illegal.
Can the experts please clarify this matter as I really need these lights on the car.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 00:12   #2372
BHPian

Drove to Kolhapur on Friday 15th June . Returned on Saturday 16th.

For members taking this route to Kolhapur, Goa or Bangalore, one peculiar observation from me.
There are two tolls on the way - Anewade & Taswade - which you get while going towards Kolhapur.
Each toll costs Rs 70. So Anewade + Taswadi if paid independently at each toll is Rs 70 + 70 = Rs 140
However at Anewade, you can purchase toll receipts for both Anewade & Taswade and this costs you Rs 145 and not Rs 140.
Similarly you can pay Rs 145 at Taswade for Anewade & Taswade tolls while returning to Mumbai instead of paying Rs 70 here & Rs 70 at Anewade.
Don't know which genius thought about charging extra if someone purchases both tolls receipts together.
Yes, the Rs 5 difference is not so much but I wish NHAI does something about this.

Another observation - Carry enough cash if you intend filling fuel in small places between the major towns / cities because the card readers usually have network issues here.

Anyway, had awesome lunch at Manas before Satara. The food was excellent as always, only there were too many houseflies which needed to be swatted away to enjoy the meal.

FYI, tolls on the route to Kolhapur from Mumbai
VASHI BRIDGE: Rs 35
Khalapur: Rs 230
KHED SHIVPURI: Rs 90
TASWADE: Rs 70
ANEWADE: Rs 70
KINI: Rs 60

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th June 2018 at 00:16.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 00:12   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Stopped again by Police just after the Tiswadi Toll Booth where I was told that the fog lamps on my car were illegal as per the Central Govt. Motor Vehicle Act." . It was daylight and I was not using the fog lights.
I was "let off" this time but was told that in future they would be fining drivers. I tried telling the cop that the fog lamps were necessary when driving in the ghats during the monsoons but he was not interested. I also explained that the fog lights were placed below the headlights and that was allowed. In turn I was told that any modification was illegal.
Can you share picture of your setup?

IMHO, ARAI's AIS 008 are the standards used for lighting (link to document). If you have additional lamps, they should be below the axis of the main beams, i.e. should sit below the main lights. If anyone stops you for colour of the lamps, the document linked has colours of the lights mentioned.

It could be a way to make a quick buck depending on the registration of your car. Generally, as visitors we don't want to ruin our trip hence the opportunity of the cops.

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th June 2018 at 00:13.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:13   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Can you share picture of your setup?

IMHO, ARAI's AIS 008 are the standards used for lighting (link to document). If you have additional lamps, they should be below the axis of the main beams, i.e. should sit below the main lights. If anyone stops you for colour of the lamps, the document linked has colours of the lights mentioned.

It could be a way to make a quick buck depending on the registration of your car. Generally, as visitors we don't want to ruin our trip hence the opportunity of the cops.
Hi BlackWasp,
Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking. I was driving a Goa registered car. Please see pic attached for the fog light fitting position.
Even when we were stopped earlier for the document check, it was only GA and KA cars being stopped. An MH car and Tempo ahead of me were waved through. They were clearly targeting other state cars.
Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20141127_113440.jpg  

suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:35   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BlackWasp,
Please see pic attached for the fog light fitting position.
If you were having these lights, let alone covered, the cops had nothing to question you about. If the lamps are covered, you can place them anywhere on the car you want and nobody can question you (eg. if you go on trails where you need more light).

A tip I have learnt is to always ask for identification of the cops. Do it in a friendly (joking if you can manage) and make a note of it. One more thing that helps is that incase the cops insist on writing you a ticket, make sure the full description of the offence is noted before you accept it. Eg. Rs 200 fine under MVA Sec 177 is totally misleading. The cop should mention 'signal jumping or no helmet' etc. along with description. This way you have grounds for challenging later if needed.

Also when stopped by a cop, greet the person in the local language of the place you are entering. Just learn 2-3 greetings and 99% of the times you will just be asked for your plans, where are you from etc. and let go.

EDIT -

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Actually lights were not covered when he stopped me.
What I meant was your lights are legal, covered or uncovered. They are clearly below the axis of the main lamps!

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th June 2018 at 12:01.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:47   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If you were having these lights, let alone covered, the cops had nothing to question you about. If the lamps are covered, you can place them anywhere on the car you want and nobody can question you (eg. if you go on trails where you need more light).

A tip I have learnt is to always ask for identification of the cops. Do it in a friendly (joking if you can manage) and make a note of it. One more thing that helps is that incase the cops insist on writing you a ticket, make sure the full description of the offence is noted before you accept it. Eg. Rs 200 fine under MVA Sec 177 is totally misleading. The cop should mention 'signal jumping or no helmet' etc. along with description. This way you have grounds for challenging later if needed.

Also when stopped by a cop, greet the person in the local language of the place you are entering. Just learn 2-3 greetings and 99% of the times you will just be asked for your plans, where are you from etc. and let go.
Thanks for the info. Actually lights were not covered when he stopped me. I went 100m down the road and stopped and put them on to avoid further issues. Guess I will have to learn some phrases in the local languages. I don't speak Marathi or Konkani which is definitely an issue. Earlier when driving an MH registered car in Goa I used to get hassled by the Goa cops. Sold the MH car and bought this one. Now hassled by Maharashtra cops!! Damn annoying!!

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 19:59   #2377
BHPian

Dear All,

Due to some urgent work in the following places, did a short trip between: Mumabi-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa around 15th June. Update is about the road conditions to those taking Goa road going via Sawantwadi, Amboli etc. The rains make the road conditions a bit tricky with lot of fog around, so make sure you headlights, fog lamps are all working. Road conditions are good, but due to rain in the area, parts of the road are beginning to fall apart. Watch out for speed breakers which appear suddenly, and yes no markings, better to drive at a lower speed.

Another thing observed is that closer to Amboli, monkeys are found suddenly crossing the road, difficult to spot as well, with the fog around, so something to note.

Clicked one photo while i took a short break on the ghat section. Happy and safe driving guys.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fog-ghat.jpg  

Old 16th July 2018, 12:43   #2378
BHPian

I drove from Mumbai to Goa South last week and then yesterday 14th July returned from Goa to Mumbai. Here is my two bit on the trip.

1) To Goa took the NH48. It's in pretty good condition no real bad patches. Had a fair bit of rain most of the drive but never got any water logging or traffic. I guess due to monsoons and Goa off-season it was empty. Just some deep holes that are 8 to 10 inches in width. Any mid size SUV can take them easily. However, small cars might have some trouble and if its high speed it could even snap a shock absorber. For bikes its too dangerous, if your front wheel catches one of these small deep holes it could mean trouble. Stopped at Hotel Amar at Nipani for lunch, great food, clean, fast service and clean loos too. Final route taken was day 1 - NH48 to Nipani, Amboli ghat, Kudal town for an overnight farmstay. Day 2 - coastal road from Kudal town, vengurla beach, Shiroda, Tiracol fort for lunch, NH66 to Utorda neach. Good drive overall.

2) Return from Goa took NH66. This should be changed from national highway to a national hogwash. The state of this highway is just an embarrassment to any indian and a national shame. To think that it's such a major connection since decades between two major states and that we are in 2018 and we call ourselves a major economy. I was in a Creta and I was just whizzing over most of the bad patches. Still there were many patches where even a Mahindra Thar would have tO crawl. But other cars, bikes, trucks weRE just crawling along over the moon surface. Average speeds sometimes was 20kmph. Yes I know that NH66 is to be avoided during monsoons, but I wanted to do an overnight halt at homestay in Dapoli therefore chose this route. Post dapoli stayed on NH66 and then took pali-khopoli road to join mumbai pune expressway to Mumbai.

All said and done, the entire stretch along both the highways is green, the weather is amazing, it's overcast and very pretty. However, in the monsoons I would dare not do it in anything else less than an SUV.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by sachinwadhwani : 16th July 2018 at 12:44.
sachinwadhwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 11:12   #2379
BHPian

Guys, need suggestions and heads up.

Pune to Goa Family trip on 15th August and return on 18th. Total 8 persons in Scorpio and Punto. Traveling with an infant.

1) We plan to start early at around 5 A.M. What would be the best scenic and ladies friendly route with eateries.

2) How much travel time should we expect? excluding the stops and breaks.

3) Any other info/details you wanna share.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 18th July 2018 at 11:13.
Old 30th July 2018, 17:35   #2380
BANNED

Will be driving down to Goa in 2nd week of August.
  • I am yet to receive RC of my Verna. My car is Pune registered and I have the soft copy version in Digi locker though. Will I be troubled by GOA / MH cops?
  • I am visiting Goa after a long time. How are the parking arrangements in popular beaches now a day?
  • How are road conditions after the rains?
Old 30th July 2018, 17:55   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Will be driving down to Goa in 2nd week of August.
  • I am yet to receive RC of my Verna. My car is Pune registered and I have the soft copy version in Digi locker though. Will I be troubled by GOA / MH cops?
  • I am visiting Goa after a long time. How are the parking arrangements in popular beaches now a day?
  • How are road conditions after the rains?
In case they do stop you,just hope that they do in a location where you have data signals If I were you I would wait till I receive the original hard copy-it is always reccomended.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:15   #2382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will be driving down to Goa in 2nd week of August. [list][*]I am yet to receive RC of my Verna. My car is Pune registered and I have the soft copy version in Digi locker though. Will I be troubled by GOA / MH cops?
I had driven to Goa from Pune in my two week old EcoSport and was stopped (along with all non-local vehicles) after the second toll from Pune.

Showed the cop the Invoice (on dealer letterhead), Certification of Taxation (Form TC) and Registration Receipt. When he asked for the RC, mentioned that it was a two week old car and that I hadn't received the RC by then. He let me go without a fuss.

Quote:
[*] How are road conditions after the rains?
Goa roads should be good; can't say the same about MH roads
Watch out for craters on the service lanes where flyover construction is in progress.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 19:23   #2383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In case they do stop you,just hope that they do in a location where you have data signals If I were you I would wait till I receive the original hard copy-it is always reccomended.
I know, hard copy of RC is recommended. But going by reputation Pune RTO carries, waiting for RC may take ages .

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I had driven to Goa from Pune in my two week old EcoSport and was stopped (along with all non-local vehicles) after the second toll from Pune.

Showed the cop the Invoice (on dealer letterhead), Certification of Taxation (Form TC) and Registration Receipt. When he asked for the RC, mentioned that it was a two week old car and that I hadn't received the RC by then. He let me go without a fuss.

Goa roads should be good; can't say the same about MH roads
Watch out for craters on the service lanes where flyover construction is in progress.
Thanks for the head up libranof1987. I have ofcourse all the documents, but TC generated by dealer is just a printout on a plain paper. I am used to the green/blue chequered papers. Do you think an extract from RTO would be good idea?
Old 30th July 2018, 19:30   #2384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the head up libranof1987. I have ofcourse all the documents, but TC generated by dealer is just a printout on a plain paper. I am used to the green/blue chequered papers. Do you think an extract from RTO would be good idea?
Apparently the plain printout is how the TC is these days; that's how I got the one for my Tiago as well.

The RC extract, yes. That should definitely help convince that odd unreasonable fellow. Getting it from RTO doesn't take more an hour or two, depending on the rush.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 08:36   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How are the parking arrangements in popular beaches now a day?
Popular beaches become unpopular during monsoon season, so you will get plenty of parking space, can literally park a boat next to your latest Verna.

Quote:
But going by reputation Pune RTO carries, waiting for RC may take ages.
Pune RTO is operating faster these days. Received RC within 6 weeks for an ownership transfer case.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks