Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 12:13   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Travel time between Kolhapur to Pune was a crazy 7-9 hours!!
Something needs to be done about all the tolls, exits and entry to the highway.
Perhaps, toll booth officials at Khed-Shivapur corrected it on next day, sharing screen grab from local daily.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-tolltraffickhedshivapur.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Wanted to take the chorla route on ways as roads are better from what I have ready any suggestions
Please take Chorla route on return journey.
Quote:
Also what time should I leave goa. Was thinking of around 130 pm types
If you are leaving Goa in afternoon, be ready to face city traffic within Goa.
You may face traffic within Vagator as RE Ridermania begins on friday, 16th on Ozran beach hill top in Vagator. RE bike traffic will outdo rest of traffic in Vagator in those 3/4 days.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 10:12   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
What time are you starting and from where in Pune ?? Google maps has been showing orange to green consistently on NH4A outside Belgaum. I honestly think you can time it accordingly and stick to the Belgaum route based on @Ertigiat's update.
Hi vivek95, just wanted to share a short update from my Dandeli trip. I took the Kittur exit on the onward journey and it took me exactly 8 hours (with one 30 min breakfast break) to reach Dandeli (via Alnavar-Haliyal). This interior road's condition till it touches SH34 before Alnavar isn't exactly pristine, but not very horrible. Maybe 20-25% of this road is broken, but the rest is in decent condition. We came back via Dharwad, as we had to visit a family friend there.

Some fellow guests in the homestay that I stayed in travelled via Belgaum, and they said they didn't face much congestion on NH4A. So maybe in hindsight, that would have been a better choice

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:00   #2508
BHPian

Route Query:

Pune - Goa (Calangute, North Goa)

EcoSport's first out of town trip after a month of ownership

I generally take a right from Nipani & go via the village route but that's only when I cross the village section (read lonely) before it gets dark. But owing to office commitments & daughter's school, I'll leave Pune on Friday Nov 16 - 15:00 & start from Goa on Tuesday Nov 20 - noonish.

I've traveled via Belgaum route only once & didn't notice a lot of difference (skipped Amboli Ghat).

Please suggest both to-fro routes. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2018 at 20:43. Reason: SMS language
DevendraG is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th November 2018, 16:40   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
Pune - Goa (Calangute, North Goa)

I generally take a right from Nipani & go via the village route but that's only when I cross the village section (read lonely) before it gets dark. But owing to office commitments & daughter's school, I'll leave Pune on Friday Nov 16 - 15:00 & start from Goa on Tuesday Nov 20 - noonish.

Please suggest both to-fro routes. Thanks in advance!
Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla-Calangute is the route irrespective of timings you start from Pune. The traffic will be sparse post Belgaum as you will be crossing it around 9 PM. But there will be traffic unlike Amboli where after dark you may not come across any vehicle.

Please take the same route while returning to Pune.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2018 at 20:44. Reason: Quoted text edited
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 11:23   #2510
BHPian

Hello friends completed the Goa (Benaulim) trip and back to mumbai last Thursday-15th November.Totally about 1300 kms.
When south bound took the
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa route. The roads are in excellent condition until KA border but deteriorate considerably after entering the Goa border and become better again after a few kms.
When North bound took the
Goa-Mollem-Anmod-Belgaum-Kolhapur- Mumbai route.
The roads are mostly good, but condition is bad at the border on both the Goa and KA sides and right until completion of the Bhimgadh Wildlife Sanctuary.
Most toll booths in KA accepted and maintained a dedicated fasting Toll booth but same was not the case in MH.
Great drive especially on KA roads and the XUV averaged at about 13kmpl.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 07:25   #2511
Team-BHP Support

Anmod ghat route to be shut from today until further notice. Only good road left to Goa is via Chorla:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ampaign=iOSapp
Old 19th November 2018, 08:51   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anmod ghat route to be shut from today until further notice. Only good road left to Goa is via Chorla:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ampaign=iOSapp
So, with Anmod closed and Amboli in tatters, I guess it's a Hobson's choice for Goa-bound travellers now. They had to go & start this during peak tourist season, didn't they, so that maximum number of people are inconvenienced!

Edit: The article says "expansion of Ramnagar to Anmod NH". So, could Belgaum-Khanapur-Bhimgad WLS route till Anmod check post-Mollem-Goa be still feasible?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th November 2018 at 09:15.
Old 19th November 2018, 09:32   #2513
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
So, with Anmod closed and Amboli in tatters, I guess it's a Hobson's choice for Goa-bound travellers now. They had to go & start this during peak tourist season, didn't they, so that maximum number of people are inconvenienced!
It is biggest set back up for South Goans. Anmod ghat road was lifeline for people travelling to Belgaum & Hubli.

Travelling via Amboli will not make any sense for South Goans because of bridge construction work at 2 locations. One at Cortalim (Zuari Bridge eight lane project) & second at Panjim over Mandovi bridge.

This is peak tourist season & it will be real pain to cut through North Goa with road condition being poor.

The only option will now be Chorla.

Quote:
Edit: The article says "expansion of Ramnagar to Anmod NH". So, could Belgaum-Khanapur-Bhimgad WLS route till Anmod check post-Mollem-Goa be still feasible?
No Vikram, it is not feasible because they will be shutting down road at Anmod check post. No traffic will be allowed beyond that point.

Details of projects on NHAI website

Yesterday's news
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:10   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
My initial thought was the same that the Bhimgad route might still be feasible but the article mentions the Anmod Ghat would be closed which makes me think that the actual ghat part (Marked in green. Ramnagar-Anmod part is marked in red) might be closed as well.

It would be great is someone local can confirm the status of this as I am travelling from Mumbai to Margao on 28th Nov.

I was planning on taking the Belgaum - Ramnagar - Anmod - Margoa route. I have travelled by Chorla and Bhimgad routes multiple times in the past but I find that the narrow roads in Bhimgad would be slower as compared to Ramnagar. Though Gmaps says that the Ramnagar route would be longer, I believe that higher average speeds can be maintained on that route negating the shorter distance of Bhimgad.

PS: Ertigiat answered the above question.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-capture.png  

Last edited by SDP : 19th November 2018 at 11:41. Reason: Ramgad -> Ramnagar
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:40   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I was planning on taking the Belgaum - Ramgad - Anmod - Margoa route.
If you are not in a hurry and want to try a new (but longer) route just for the heck of it, then try Belgaum-Ramnagar-Joida-Kumbarwada-Anshi National Park-South Goa-Margao route:

https://goo.gl/maps/Gj4XXCg33J32

Note: I haven't used this route in the recent past, so no idea how the road condition is

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th November 2018 at 10:43.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:56   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
If you are not in a hurry and want to try a new (but longer) route just for the heck of it, then try Belgaum-Ramnagar-Joida-Kumbarwada-Anshi National Park-South Goa-Margao route:

https://goo.gl/maps/Gj4XXCg33J32

Note: I haven't used this route in the recent past, so no idea how the road condition is

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks for the suggestion. Since I will be travelling to Margao, it would become too much of a detour especially at the end of the drive. Given the 'wise' decision of the goverment to close down one of the alternatives to reach South Goa, I guess I will need to stick to Chorla for now.

On a side note, I was wondering that as Gmaps still shows the Bhimgad route as the best way, a lot of people might be caught unawares of this change. I hope they put up some clear instructions at Belgaum to avoid people taking that route and then realising at the end that it is closed. I think with Gmaps being used and relied on so much, such info of main road closures should be sent to Google to incorporate.
Old 19th November 2018, 19:39   #2517
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning for Goa in Peak season and I have already made the hotel bookings. Onward journey i have booked a night at Belgaum (cancel-able) and then I move to Calangute.

After reading the news I am bit confused, if I should cancel the Belgaum booking and head directly to Goa via Amboli or go with the current plan (Mumbai-Belgaum-Chorla-Calangute)? I believe there would be considerable higher traffic on either of the 2 options available.

Tia

Last edited by WheelWake : 19th November 2018 at 19:44. Reason: slightly reworded
Old 19th November 2018, 23:52   #2518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning for Goa in Peak season and I have already made the hotel bookings. Onward journey i have booked a night at Belgaum (cancel-able) and then I move to Calangute.

After reading the news I am bit confused, if I should cancel the Belgaum booking and head directly to Goa via Amboli or go with the current plan (Mumbai-Belgaum-Chorla-Calangute)? I believe there would be considerable higher traffic on either of the 2 options available.

Tia
I would suggest anyone to avoid the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli section presently. There is hardly any road left. Also the sugarcane crushing season is in progress hence plenty of cane laden tractors near Ajra further reducing the average speeds.

Although dumps of aggregate and bitumen barrels at many places along the road indicate repair plans, it may most likely be just patch work.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 05:59   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Tia
As a_myth mentioned avoid the Amboli route, I took this route last month and its damn slow.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 20th November 2018 at 06:00.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 08:34   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Tia
Hii wheelWake drove to Goa just last week via Chorla route. Its really good and roads have held up on both sides of the KA and GA border. It really amazes me to see the Anmod-Mollem route being shut at the start of the peak season. Dunno what the planners are thinking
The advantage going via Blgm is you get to use the NH4/NH48 for a longer distance. In the end do compare the Gmaps route as well.
Have a fun and safe drive!
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks