Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 09:36   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
After reading the news I am bit confused, if I should cancel the Belgaum booking and head directly to Goa via Amboli or go with the current plan (Mumbai-Belgaum-Chorla-Calangute)? I believe there would be considerable higher traffic on either of the 2 options available.
Stay overnight at Belgaum and then head to Calangute via Chorla.

Amboli route is a strict no, even more so as all truck traffic has been diverted there. Leave early next day from Belgaum (avoid morning traffic) and reach Calangute early. An early check in at your hotel or perhaps hit one of the beaches till your check in time.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:20   #2522
BHPian

Hello Guys!

I will be heading to Goa by road, after a gap of about 2 years, come December. Seems much has changed in last 2 years. What I guess wouldn't have changed is long, painful queues on the toll plazas

So there was always this debate, for those bound to North Goa, about Nipani->Amboli->Sawantwadi route or Belgaum-Chorla->Panaji-> Mapusa. Seems that it has settled with the prior one being in shambles now. Atleast about a couple of years back, it was bearable and saved good 60-90 minutes of travel time. Makes me wonder if the road conditions have deteriorated so much to lose about good 1.5 hrs.

We will be traveling from Mumbai (Ghatkopar West to be precise) and intend to stop for an overnight break on the way. Idea is to leave around noon to make it to the break journey destination latest by 8/9PM. Seems that will be Belgaum. So, as a part of the pre-planning exercise, I was searching for the best route on google maps. This is the preferred route that Google Maps suggests (with a stopover at Belgavi Marriott):
Usual (Mumbai-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur)->Belgaum->Yashwantnagar->Kodali->Dodamarg->Tivim->Mapusa->Calangute->Aguada (The destination) Travel time 11H17M GMaps Link

Now the thing is that, there is no 'Chorla' on this suggested route.

Tried to 'force fit' Chorla in the route by adding a stopover at chorla ghat. Here is the result:

The usual->Belgaum->kankumbi->Chorla->Sanquelim->Bicholim->Mapusa-Calangute->Aguada. Travel time 11H28M Gmaps Link

There were some conversations here on a route going through Bhimgad sanctuary, bu I guess that is for people headed to South Goa.

I am a little bit confused now. Even more so since it is after 2 years I will be driving down. Earlier it was every 3 months for me. And during all that time, I used to prefer Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi. Only once I took Chorla, and I distinctly remember, that I came through Panajim for the same destination. A bit embarrassed that I seem to have forgotten all that little knowledge I had for Goa not so long ago.

Now calling all the knowledgeable experts here in the forum, if theycan help me with the best route for this long awaited journey to and fro Goa. Our departure will be on 25th/26th Dec and return on 2nd Jan. It will be me, missus and my 9 year old champ in the car. Idea is to enjoy the ride and stay at a comfortable place in Belgaum. Suggestions on stopover location/hotel/local cuisine are also welcome. (I love Non-Veg )

Thanks a lot in advance, Good Samaritans.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:31   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quoting myself as found this relevant. Be cautious on the Mum-Pune Expressway guys. Good use of WhatsApp by the cops!

Quote:
The state highway traffic patrol has fined 77 motorists Rs 1,000 each for overspeeding on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway over the past four days. In accordance with the new Motor Vehicles Act rules, their driving licences will be suspended for three months too. The drive started last Friday and the drivers were caught using speed guns.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Dattatrey Gadhave, SHTP Pune division inspector, said, "Our drive was initiated on Monday. Cars are allowed to drive at 120kmph with a plus of five. However, those speeding at 126kmph or more are being penalized. One speed gun is used at Talegaon (73km) area whereas the penalty is collected at Urse toll plaza. Our team has caught 15 overspeeding drivers in two days."
Now I was unable to ascertain speed limit of the Panvel division but if its indeed 120, its a relief. Could someone shed more light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
...had the cruse control set to 85 km/h in the middle lane. Just after the downhill section on the way back to Mumbai (after Lonavala), I saw cops with speed cams merrily taking pics. At the toll booth, another set of cops were flagging all the cars found speeding. And this time it was not just a 'hunch' but a proper speeding ticket with the challan awaiting the offenders.

I'm happy to note the cops taking proactive steps. This buzzer would definitely keep the speeds in check. That said, we also need some sort of minimum speed limits and strict action on trucks hogging the fast lane. I'm pretty sure that if our average speeds improve, most of the drivers would never need to overspeed.
TOI

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20181121-8.07.14-am.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2018 at 21:53. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:33   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Thanks a lot in advance, Good Samaritans.
The 1st GMaps route will take you to Goa via Tilari Ghat, not Chorla. The 2nd GMaps route is the one you should follow. Slightly different route after Bicholim can be as given below:

https://goo.gl/maps/zq3tMnSGNQ52

Try Niyaz (near ST bus stand) in Belgaum for yummy non veg food. Alternatives to Marriot are Sankam Residency and Hotel Ramdev; these are not 5* hotels though, but decent places nonetheless for a stopover.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st November 2018 at 11:36.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:35   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys!

. So, as a part of the pre-planning exercise, I was searching for the best route on google maps. This is the preferred route that Google
Usual (Mumbai-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur)->Belgaum->Yashwantnagar->Kodali->Dodamarg->Tivim->Mapusa->Calangute->Aguada (The destination) Travel time 11H17M GMaps Link

Now the thing is that, there is no 'Chorla' on this suggested route.
Whoa ! So Google has started suggesting the "Tilari route" after decades !! The Yashwantnagar route is indeed the famous Tilari route and apart from every Belgaum-ite ( me included ), only a handful of outsiders know about this route. It is very beautiful no doubt, but this road was in horrendous state for years together until it was finally relaid last year. I am still skeptical about it's current condition post the monsoons this year, considering that Chandgad Takuka receives the highest rainfall in Maharashtra at times alongside Tamhini.

I DO NOT recommend Tilari route as we don't have any updates from that region and I would not expect one as well, here on team bhp. I will explore it sometime and get back here. Please stick to the Belgaum--Chorla route for now.

I am also doubtful about Anmod shutting down altogether. The expansion work may be taken up in phased manner, but let's see how it goes.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:50   #2526
BHPian

I am a bit confused about the Anmod Ghat situation. GMaps shows 'Road closed on NH748' and then goes on to show the exact same road as the route (via Bhimgad sanctuary).

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-new.png

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2018 at 21:52. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:41   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
We will be traveling from Mumbai (Ghatkopar West to be precise) and intend to stop for an overnight break on the way. Idea is to leave around noon to make it to the break journey destination latest by 8/9PM. Seems that will be Belgaum.
Belgaum is ideal location in terms of distance traveled and kind/category of road. Till Belgaum it will be smooth sailing on 6 lane/4 lane highway. Thereafter a state highway since NH-4A is closed at Anmod ghat.

Quote:
Now calling all the knowledgeable experts here in the forum, if they can help me with the best route for this long awaited journey to and fro Goa. Our departure will be on 25th/26th Dec and return on 2nd Jan. It will be me, missus and my 9 year old champ in the car. Idea is to enjoy the ride and stay at a comfortable place in Belgaum. Suggestions on stopover location/hotel/local cuisine are also welcome. (I love Non-Veg )
Route for you will be Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur- Belgaum - Chorla - Aguda. Probably you will not face any traffic woes till Belgaum as most of the traffic will be North bound (end of long weekend).

Please pick stopovers from this list (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries) as per your timings & convenience. Since you have mentioned you love Non-Veg, please look for no other restaurant than Niyaz for dinner at Belgaum.

But be ready to embrace lot of traffic next day from Belgaum as Chorla will not only be decent road for both North & South Goa but dates you have chosen to travel. It will be Chock-a Block in Goa during the period you will be here. It will be very lively but over crowded everywhere. Plan your "places to visit" in Goa neatly so that you do not spend much of your time in car, stuck in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am also doubtful about Anmod shutting down altogether. The expansion work may be taken up in phased manner, but let's see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I am a bit confused about the Anmod Ghat situation. GMaps shows 'Road closed on NH748' and then goes on to show the exact same road as the route (via Bhimgad sanctuary).
Anmod ghat is closed. Live traffic image.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-ghat-closure.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2018 at 21:52. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 16:02   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Anmod ghat is closed. Live traffic image.
Quite illogical of Google to suggest that route though it seems to be aware of the road closure - but I guess that discussion is for the Google Maps thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:52   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Quite illogical of Google to suggest that route though it seems to be aware of the road closure - but I guess that discussion is for the Google Maps thread
After your post, yesterday night I checked with KSRTC driver (knowing Kannada helps ) regarding closure of Anmod ghat. He mentioned they just came through ghat & he was little amused that I have asked the same question in span of couple of days. I showed him gmaps and explained how the map is misguiding.

He said it will take minimum 10 to 15 days for closure because the tree cutting work on Ramnager (Gmaps spelling) - Anmod stretch is not yet complete.

There is a news even in today's newspaper regarding it. There is no concrete answer whether it will be closed altogether or light motor vehicles will be allowed.

Meeting in Nagpur Regarding it,

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-ghat-closure.jpg

Goan people requests for adjacent road,

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-ghat-closure-1.jpg
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:11   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
After your post, yesterday night I checked with KSRTC driver (knowing Kannada helps ) regarding closure of Anmod ghat. He mentioned they just came through ghat & he was little amused that I have asked the same question in span of couple of days. I showed him gmaps and explained how the map is misguiding.

He said it will take minimum 10 to 15 days for closure because the tree cutting work on Ramnager (Gmaps spelling) - Anmod stretch is not yet complete.
Thanks for the follow up Yogesh! I think I will play it safe for my trip on 28th Nov and stick to the Chorla route. Knowing how quick the Government is in starting work, I wouldn't be surprised if the road block actually goes into effect within a week.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd November 2018 at 15:52. Reason: Capitalisation. Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:13   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I DO NOT recommend Tilari route as we don't have any updates from that region and I would not expect one as well, here on team bhp. I will explore it sometime and get back here. Please stick to the Belgaum--Chorla route for now.
I went down the Tilari ghat on the 11th of this month. And to be honest, the actual ghat itself is like a dream. The road could not have been better! I had been down this road in 2015 and that was a completely different story.

Now for the bad, the road from Sankeshwar to the ghat and the road after the ghat to Dodamarg is the pits.

To be fair, the road from Sankeswar was bad in some places and not all the way. Whereas the road to Dodamarg was 100% pathetic.
JoshuaS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:52   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
I went down the Tilari ghat on the 11th of this month. And to be honest, the actual ghat itself is like a dream. The road could not have been better! I had been down this road in 2015 and that was a completely different story.

Now for the bad, the road from Sankeshwar to the ghat and the road after the ghat to Dodamarg is the pits.

To be fair, the road from Sankeswar was bad in some places and not all the way. Whereas the road to Dodamarg was 100% pathetic.
Pardon my ignorance, as it may be but I didn't understand 'Sankeshwar to the ghat' part. Did you not go through Belgaum and turn right from sankeshwar itself? If yes, will the section from Belgaum to the ghat be better, if you are aware?
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:10   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, as it may be but I didn't understand 'Sankeshwar to the ghat' part. Did you not go through Belgaum and turn right from sankeshwar itself? If yes, will the section from Belgaum to the ghat be better, if you are aware?
Sorry, for not being very clear about that. No, we didn't go through Belgaum at all.

We turned right at Sankeshwar and went through Gadhinglaj, Hunhingal, Tilari Nagar, etc.

Let me know if you need it and I'll try and attach a screenshot of my Google Maps timeline for the route.
JoshuaS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:24   #2534
BHPian

Friends,
I too have a trip to goa planned much in advance and obviously wanted to drive down rather than flying in there.
I intend to start 22nd morning and return starts on 26th noon from Goa. Had planned for Pune Kolhapur Belgaum Chorla route but had not really given any thought to the mad rush that day will see.

Now I am a bit worried. Will it make sense to go by road at all? Don't think there is much of choice now. Is there a way I can beat the mad rush by tweaking my itinerary? Perhaps leave as early as 3-4 am in morning?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:31   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Belgaum to Tilari is a decent road with occasional rough sectors intermittently that shouldn't be a worry at all. You need to drive westwards from Belgaum via Shinoli, Patne phata. Take a left at Patne phata and head towards Tilari ghat.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed