Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 13:08   #2686
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
No replies to the preceding post?!
I am making my annual monsoon visit to Goa on July 22 - I usually allow a month of heavy rains in the ghats so whatever landslides have to happen, do so in that month - and I am planning to use the Chorla route instead of the preferred Amboli one. I am sure that as usual the monsoons would have dealt severely with the Ajra to Amboli sector and also, the two diversions on that sector will be a mess.
I will break journey in Kolhapur to be able to traverse Belgaum/Chorla early enough to beat the traffic in both places, so any update on the road conditions in Chorla would be very helpful.
I might take the Chorla ghat around this weekend. Will update once i do cover it. Yes, if someone has recently done, do provide updates. Seems its raining quite a lot there.
Old 10th July 2019, 14:18   #2687
BHPian

Just back from Goa. The rain and fog situation is scary in Amboli. Visibility is not more that 10 meters.

Also lost both tyres from left side after hitting a pothole near Satara city while coming back. Please be careful of the stretch after Karad. Many deep potholes, if possible avoid traveling on this stretch post sunset.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2019 at 00:57. Reason: Spacing fixed.
KaandBaaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 06:02   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
I might take the Chorla ghat around this weekend. Will update once i do cover it. Yes, if someone has recently done, do provide updates. Seems its raining quite a lot there.
I look forward to any updates.
As to the fog in Amboli, that is as normal as it is in Mahabaleshwar at this time. It isn't fog, those are clouds that collect over the peak and don't budge for almost four straight months. That isn't a problem with a little experience, but the Ajra to Amboli road is a mess every year, till end of December or so when the patchwork is completed. As is the section around Uttur which was never even fixed this year and will be battle tank territory now.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 10:32   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I look forward to any updates.
I travelled Pune - Goa on 14th June and Goa - Pune on 17th June.

While travelling to Goa, few km (around 10 km) were full of potholes after leaving the Bangalore highway. Barring that, the roads were good all along.

There was fog at Amboli ghat. We drove at night. We went ahead cautiously, very slow and followed a local vehicle. Though at times the fog scared us, we noticed that the foggy patch does not last more than a hundred meters.

While returning to Pune on 17th June, we saw that the bad patches / potholes have been filled-up with stones and gravel. So it was easier and faster.

After climbing down the Amboli ghat, we went via Sawantwadi. Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa road was good. While returning to Pune, we came via Banda. Banda - Amboli road was not in good condition. But it was daytime, so we had no worry. This road was more scenic.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 00:29   #2690
BHPian

I believe that the problem with Chorla route is not the road conditions presently, but the heavy traffic using this route due to the closure of the Anmod ghat. The bends on this ghat are not ment to handle such amount of heavy traffic and there are routine cases of accidents on this section holding up traffic. Also monsoon brings in large number of locals as well as tourists to the ghat to enjoy the numerous Waterfalls on the route. Cars parked on the shoulders further reduce the road width and slow down traffic. I would recommend to avoid this route on weekends.
Regarding the Amboli route, as rightly mentioned by Rahul, the Amboli ghat section is smooth. Amboli to Ajara section, the road top layer has started to loosen and disintegrate but one can still maintain decent speeds. Across the Karnataka border upto NH6, the road our the lack of it is full of potholes. I had travelled from Goa to Mumbai on the 10th. Planned to return to Goa on the 14th via Amboli.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 00:02   #2691

Please do let me know the state of the Amboli Ajra route as I still feel its the best route from North Goa. I will be traveling on 17th July and any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2019 at 00:57. Reason: Post fixed. Typos, grammar.
adriansarita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 06:23   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Regarding the Amboli route, as rightly mentioned by Rahul, the Amboli ghat section is smooth. Amboli to Ajara section, the road top layer has started to loosen and disintegrate but one can still maintain decent speeds.
The problem is that all it takes for things to rapidly go downhill on Ajra to Amboli is one week of really heavy rain. So one has to decide based on the latest updates that are available before taking a call. If I do use Chorla, I will make sure that both ways I am in the ghat before 8 am to hopefully beat at least the traffic. And not do this on a weekend!

Updates about the two diversions that are there on the Ajra Amboli sector would also be appreciated. When I used them in March it looked like they will need a 4x4 after a month of heavy rain, if not completed before the monsoons.

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th July 2019 at 06:24.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:03   #2693
Senior - BHPian

I have traveled Chorla Ghat 3 weeks back..
The roads are in good condition. But the traffic is pretty high.
Overtaking Govt. Buses is really tough during the day. Most of the private buses are early in the morning or late nights.
Traveling in the early morning hours will be a peaceful drive.
Need to be a little patient in driving.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 23:26   #2694
BHPian

Hi Guys, am planning a trip to Goa from Mumbai in mid august. Is it advisable to drive given heavy rains expected in that period?
Old 16th July 2019, 11:09   #2695

Just done Panjim-Chorla Ghat-Belgaum-Pune on 14/15th July. Good roads, heavy commercial traffic banned through Chorla Ghat. Just watch out for oncoming traffic around bends and sharp edges along side of the road. Beautiful drive too.
bencharles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 22:59   #2696
BHPian

Had a terrible experience with the Amboli route on 14th (Sunday). Leaving Mumbai at 7:30 in the morning, I had made brisk progress by reaching Ajara-Belgaum junction at @3:30 pm. From there to Amboli waterfall it took me more than three hours. Managed to reach Danoli-Banda road at 7:15 pm and there after 9 pm to Panaji. Amboli ghat was totally overflowing with people and vehicles. Had a chat with a policeman managing traffic, who was quick to mention that on weekends the traffic blocks are routine and crossing the ghat nearly takes around 3 hrs.

To make matters worse, there is hardly any street lights at Danoli-Banda road and at diversions on road works being carried out at highways on Goa. Potholes are difficult to judge and negotiate in heavy rains.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 09:10   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Had a terrible experience with the Amboli route on 14th (Sunday).
How is the road surface from Ajra to Amboli? Are the two diversions for small bridge constructions on this sector still there or is the work complete and are now not there any more?

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th July 2019 at 09:12.
Old 17th July 2019, 14:05   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencharles View Post
Just done Panjim-Chorla Ghat-Belgaum-Pune on 14/15th July. Good roads, heavy commercial traffic banned through Chorla Ghat. Just watch out for oncoming traffic around bends and sharp edges along side of the road. Beautiful drive too.
Hows Pune to Belgaum road? I heard they were in bad state somewhere near Satara, is it?
Old 17th July 2019, 14:15   #2699

Belgaum to Pune along NH-48 was a breeze. Just a few diversions, otherwise good road surface.
bencharles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 16:40   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hows Pune to Belgaum road? I heard they were in bad state somewhere near Satara, is it?
Just travelled that stretch enroute to Kochi, from Bombay.

There are some 4 big diversions, between Pune and Satara. Depending on whether you have a sedan or an suv, those stretches will be fine. Sedans will definitely bottom out in some of the ditches. I was in a Duster and did get bounced about.

Rest of the roads are just wonderful. And so is the current weather.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed