Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 09:58   #2761

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

This is my first real post to this forum, so apologies if anything is out of place.

We travelled from Pune to Vengurla via Amboli ghat last week on Thursday, September 12.

We started at 7 am from Wakad. As mentioned in earlier posts, there are some big potholes just before Satara. They are in the two fast lanes. Luckily we were in the slow lane at that time due to trucks in the fast lanes. The diversions were not as issue probably being a weekday.

The rest of the road till Kagal was uneventful. We left the highway at Kagal and took an local route to Ajara as we had some work on the way. The road was pretty good most of the way. This is a very scenic route via Nidhori, Allabad and Murgud. However it added an hour to our commute. The road from Ajara to Amboli has deteriorated a bit in patches since I last travelled in March this year. Amboli ghat itself was empty. I saw only a single truck in the ghat other than passenger vehicles. Amboli waterfall was quite crowded on a weekday with families and young people. A small section near the waterfall has been turned into a single lane due to a landslide.

The road past Amboli ghat was smooth as always past Sawantwadi. We reached Vengurla at 5 pm.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190914_160230.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190912_154601.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190912_153342.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2019 at 10:14.
Rustom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:22   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is it still raining frequently in Goa? If yes, I guess it would make more sense to visit in 3rd/4th week of October
Yes. It is still raining in Goa. But usually it is one or two pours a day (or night). The climate eases out in few minutes.

Quote:
Any idea how the condition of the Belgaum - Ramnagar - Joida - Kumbarwada - Anshi National Park - South Goa route is? Was planning to try it just for the heck of it, either during the onward or return trip.
If it is leisure drive then you can try this route. From Belgaum till Ramnagar the road widening (road construction) is in full swing. I have no clue about the roads thereafter but I'll try to check with locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The 45 or so days post monsoon - October to mid/third week November are, to my mind, the worst weather in Goa for the intense humidity that can make things even more uncomfortable than summer.
I slightly disagree with you Sir. I would say for non residents the summers here are unbearable where as during October, days are can be uncomfortable but as dusk approaches it is bliss. For someone like me (who is in Air conditioned office during daytime) October evenings pure pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Vagator has been the family favourite since the last 7 years, almost like an annual pilgrimage. Sometimes more frequently done.

We went last in April, missing Goa already.
Try South Goa this time. South Goa can not match the vibrancy of North Goa. But serenity of South is unbeatable.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:17   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom View Post
This is my first real post to this forum, so apologies if anything is out of place.
We travelled from Pune to Vengurla via Amboli ghat last week on Thursday, September 12.
Nice picture there of the landscape, it is such a scenic drive during this time of the year.
Thanks for the route updates and also welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Try South Goa this time. South Goa can not match the vibrancy of North Goa. But serenity of South is unbeatable.
We also stay in South Goa for a couple of days during every visit. Usually Betalbatim. Kids love the sand at Utorda/ Majorda/ Varca and there are a few really nice restaurants in that area. In fact during a couple of years we stayed more in South Goa than in North. Laidback, great to relax too.
Every visit we think that the next time we will plan for Karwar instead of Goa. But we end up in Goa itself.

I wonder if the roadwork between Panaji and Madgaon is completed or still ongoing?

Last edited by selfdrive : 18th September 2019 at 11:20.
Old 18th September 2019, 12:12   #2764
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

I plan to drive to North Goa with wife on 28th Sept. Would be driving from Pune and plan to start between 6-7 AM.
Been visiting Goa every year for a while now.
Have always taken the Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi Route as it is the one always shown by google maps.
I am inclined to take the Belgam - Chorla ghat route this time, even if it may take 45 mins to 1 Hr more.

Any suggestions if this is a good idea? And which road has the better roads given that both would be in bad shape this time of the year.
I don't want to end up reaching really late.

Our stay is booked in a resort in Mandrem.
Old 18th September 2019, 13:45   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I wonder if the roadwork between Panaji and Madgaon is completed or still ongoing?
Looking at the current state of the roads, I believe Panjim - Margao will not gain normalcy until December 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Have always taken the Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi Route as it is the one always shown by google maps.
I am inclined to take the Belgam - Chorla ghat route this time, even if it may take 45 mins to 1 Hr more.

I don't want to end up reaching really late.

Our stay is booked in a resort in Mandrem.
Please stick to Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi Route. It does not make any sense to take Chorla route to reach Mandrem from Pune if you don't want to end up reaching late.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:39   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Please stick to Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi Route. It does not make any sense to take Chorla route to reach Mandrem from Pune if you don't want to end up reaching late.
Was planning Chorla just for the heck of it, since I have never taken that road, but if it adds anything more than 2 hours to the journey, I would avoid it.
Old 18th September 2019, 20:22   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

To reach north Goa from Pune, right now google is suggesting to fork off after Amboli and head to Banda, instead of going via Sawantwadi. (check pic below) Can someone comment on this option please? I am driving tomorrow early morning- FYI.

Thanks in advance.

-BJ
Attached Images

Old 19th September 2019, 07:26   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

To reach north Goa from Pune, right now google is suggesting to fork off after Amboli and head to Banda, instead of going via Sawantwadi. (check pic below) Can someone comment on this option please? I am driving tomorrow early morning- FYI.

Thanks in advance.

-BJ
Although this route bypassing Sawantwadi is the shortest route, I would suggest you avoid it after sunset and during heavy rains as it has deep potholes at may sections and chances of flooding.
a_myth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 09:14   #2769
BHPian

This is slightly off topic here but someone has made a parody on the present condition of Goa roads. Do watch even if you don't understand Konkani.

tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 10:43   #2770
Senior - BHPian

The gelato shop is off the Mapusa Anjuna road, on the way to baba au rhum. Cream choc Mr Gelato. Cherry flavour is all that I ever eat, but there are many flavours. I suggest starting with cherry.

One can sit out, being entertained by the pet stray dogs and a never ending series of near misses at the three pronged cross roads just outside.

The roads from Pune were surprisingly good. There are still some potholes after the Satara toll to watch for. Then the patch from just after exiting the highway to just before Uttur. The Ajra Amboli bit needs care for the often broken roads, but is much better than last year. The ghat itself is fine enough, and going through Sawantwadi and then the road to Redi is the best alternative to get back to the highway. The bad news is the now terrible road as soon as entering Goa with their version of six laning going on. I was relieved to be able to leave it the first chance I got, just before Pernem. Thereafter the roads can be narrow Goan interior roads with the usual quota of speedbreakers, but the surfaces are usually excellent.

Back the same way on Sunday morning.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th September 2019 at 10:44.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 14:03   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
This is slightly off topic here but someone has made a parody on the present condition of Goa roads. Do watch even if you don't understand Konkani.
Such is the sorry state of roads in Goa. We never encountered this situation but our version of widening national highways had its impact.

Interior roads are still holding up good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The bad news is the now terrible road as soon as entering Goa with their version of six laning going on. I was relieved to be able to leave it the first chance I got, just before Pernem. Thereafter the roads can be narrow Goan interior roads with the usual quota of speedbreakers, but the surfaces are usually excellent.
I guess it is wise to take coastal route as soon as you enter Goa rather than sticking to NH-66.

Meanwhile link to update on Anmod ghat, who intend to take this route.
Old 22nd September 2019, 16:45   #2772
Senior - BHPian

An uneventful return after the usual excellent time in Goa. Since I was early on a Sunday morning, at about 8 am, I checked out the Gadhinglaj Sankeshwar option and I was pleasantly surprised to find an excellent road surface, that allowed me to completely bypass the mess around Uttur. I think the key is to be early to escape the traffic on this stretch, including that in Gadhinglaj. So probably won't work on the way out.

A couple of moments on camera; the three way entertaining cross roads just outside the Gelato shop, as can be seen by both vehicles passing each other on the wrong side.

And a video of an impromptu liquid fuelled djembe lesson underway, on a small road to Vagator. Goa, at all times, abounds in such delights...but I find that the video won't upload...sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190919_160829007.jpg  

Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:52   #2773
BHPian

Quote:

+1 to that
I was in Goa from 14th to 19th Sep. Drove from Mumbai

Stayed in South Goa and three days were for south Goa beaches and one day for north. Never had a full beach to myself till date, but when i went to Betul Beach, me and my family were the only one's there and it was something out of this world. Serene, peaceful and heavenly. And to top it the beach was only a few minutes away from Fisherman's Wharf where sea food is lip smacking delicious.

It is still raining there but we were lucky to have a clear day on 17th Sep to witness the sunset from Varca Beach. In case you can reach the beach early morning, you can even witness the fishermen hauling their catches to the shore which is a tedious one and half hour process.

While driving to Goa from Mumbai went from Belgaum and Bhimgad Wild Life sanctuary side which was good choice since i was staying in South Goa. Barring a 5 km stretch of no road , rest was all a breeze.

Return to Mumbai was via Amboli Ghat which is very bad in patches.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:34   #2774
BHPian

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the useful information being posted here.

I have to be go to Benaulim from 11th October evening and have to return on 13th October.

My planning is:

10th Evening - Mumbai - Pune - reach by midnight worst case.

11th Start from Pune by 7am take Kolhapur - Belgavi - Khanapur - Anmod - Ponda - Margao route to reach by 5or 6pm max

Return Journey is on 13th (Sunday) so thinking of starting little late around 10-11am and reach by midnight in Mumbai to avoid traffic returning on weekend.

However, little confused after reading news that Anmod ghat would be closed. Does that mean we would have to take either Chorla or Amboli ghat route?

I have Honda Jazz Petrol and have no issues in driving as long as roads are driveable for Jazz.

Can anyone confirm which route would be better ? Or would it be best to skip drive all together and simply fly down?

Thanks in advance !!
Old 24th September 2019, 06:51   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshd View Post
Or would it be best to skip drive all together and simply fly down?
Fly. For two reasons - for such a short visit, there would be too much time on the roads. And two, for south Goa, Dabolim airport is a lot more convenient than it is for North Goa destinations.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks