Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:29   #2791
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just came back to Pune from Goa yesterday.
Took the Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi route both ways.
Was expecting the roads after Nippani to be really bad after the excessive rainfall this year.
Except for the broken roads in patches, Surprisingly, the roads are in way better condition than what they were in October last year when I drove on the same route.

However, the Pune to Satara stretch is now bad in places due to diversions and flyover construction bottlenecks.
Overall the drive was pleasent, and the Ghat section is really beautiful with small waterfalls and breathtaking greenery.

Had lunch at Sai Pangat in Sai International after Kolhapur.
Nice clean washrooms, and great food.
It is a Pure veg and recommend for anyone who likes Maharashtrian food.
They have started a buffet system now. Just for Rs 200, and you get a 10% discount for not wasting/ leaving anything on the plate.
So effectively it is 180 Rs for people like me who hate wasting food.
Even my Punjabi wife loves the food here and always back calculates our time to start from Goa so that we reach in time for lunch.
ishan12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:43   #2792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Just came back to Pune from Goa yesterday.
Took the Nippani - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi route both ways.

Ishan, your post has an impeccable timing. Just opened t-bhp to post query for the route, as I plan to take the exact same route, with the exact same halt, tomorrow early morning, and here you are with the exact details that I was looking for.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:36   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Ishan, your post has an impeccable timing. Just opened t-bhp to post query for the route, as I plan to take the exact same route, with the exact same halt, tomorrow early morning, and here you are with the exact details that I was looking for.
Glad this was helpful!

Also, based on your place of stay, see if you can avoid the last leg of road which is the Mumbai-Goa highway after Banda, since the road is in really bad shape and totally dug up for 4 laning work.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:47   #2794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, based on your place of stay, see if you can avoid the last leg of road which is the Mumbai-Goa highway after Banda, since the road is in really bad shape and totally dug up for 4 laning work.
What deviation to take then? Since we plan to go to North Goa, what road to take after Banda.
Google map shows Banda -> Pernem -> Vegator -> Baga

Quote:
Although just to confirm, why have you mentioned "after" kolhapur?
I believe it comes just a few kms before Kolhapur, unless you are talking about your return leg.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th October 2019 at 13:03.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:57   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
What deviation to take then? Since we plan to go to North Goa, what road to take after Banda.
I followed google maps too and took a different route as I was staying in Riva Beach Resort, which is in extreme north in Manderem beach.
For Baga, I guess just follow google maps.
Old 4th October 2019, 13:44   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is a better alternative now to staying on the highway. It involves taking a U turn at a roundabout you will come across on NH 66 shortly after you pass under the overhead railway bridge that will leave you pointing back the way you got there and then taking the immediate second exit on the left, that is a sharp curving left, that goes to Pernem and thence to Baga using the road to Aguada. The first exit after/at the roundabout goes to Satarda, don't take that one.

Last edited by Sawyer : 4th October 2019 at 13:49.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 14:24   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Although just to confirm, why have you mentioned "after" kolhapur?
I believe it comes just a few kms before Kolhapur, unless you are talking about your return leg.
Yes, talking about the return leg, as when you start from Pune early morning, you would cross it way before lunch time.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 14:12   #2798
BHPian

Did Pune - Goa last weekend. The 2 places where bridges are being built between Pune and Satara continue to be a pain. Took 15-20 mins each to cross due to non existent roads. Surprisingly the service lanes on return journey have held better and can be done quicker.
Took the Ajra-Amboli route to North Goa. Roads just after exiting NH4 (Hotel Kaveri) are bad for around 7 kms and then "good to ok" till you hit Banda, Goa border . After Banda, the worst Goa roads I have seen in last 8 years (I do Goa every year). The road construction and craters don't let you do more than 20-30kms / hour.
Infact have never seen bad internal roads in Goa but its bad between Candolim and Baga stretch. Stick to the road through Sawantwadi , do not take the road Google maps suggests which avoids Sawantwadi. No traffic but heavily broken for the initial 7-8 kms. Took this while going to Goa but came through Sawantwadi while returning Better roads through Sawantwadi.
While returning I observed that the Banda to NH4 (Hotel Kaveri) has stretches in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa. If you observe the "Suswagatam" and "Abhari Ahot" boards, the stretch in Maharashtra region is good. This busted my myth that roads are not maintained well in Maharashtra.
Enjoy the greenery and the scenic beauty while driving down this stretch. Amboli ghat as usual is pleasing to the eye.
Overall keep it slow after NH4 exit, unknown craters and speed breakers (especially the one near Banda as you come down the slope while returning) will hit you hard. If Google maps shows you a upcoming yellow stretch even if you don't see much traffic, slow down. Good indicator.

Last edited by bigwheelz : 10th October 2019 at 14:13.
bigwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 16:10   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Did Pune - Goa last weekend.
Thanks for a very timely post. May I ask which car you were driving? I plan to drive to Goa from Pune during Diwali in a Honda Jazz.
Old 11th October 2019, 17:57   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Thanks for a very timely post. May I ask which car you were driving? I plan to drive to Goa from Pune during Diwali in a Honda Jazz.

Did Goa in July first week and again in second week of August in a Verna. Didnt face any trouble with the roads.

You can comfortably do it in a Jazz. But dont expect the roads to change soon.
Old 12th October 2019, 06:15   #2801
Senior - BHPian

As long as there has been no flooding or landslides, the Goa roads are doable by any car, regardless of ground clearance. Those with less need some care over some broken sections/speed breakers, but all can get across. The time taken can be higher by 60 to 90 minutes if the roads are not in good shape, that's all.

Hitting a large pothole or speed breaker at speed can do more damage to some cars than to others, but that is driver error.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 11:38   #2802
BHPian

I read through the posts above, would like to know if there is an alternative route to avoid the Pune-Satara road construction and diversions.

Or is it not worth trying an alternative which google map shows.

I am traveling from Jodhpur to Ahmedabad to Mumbai to Belgaum and onward to Bangalore and to some southern hill stations.

Okay to try alternatives...
Old 13th October 2019, 11:51   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I read through the posts above, would like to know if there is an alternative route to avoid the Pune-Satara road construction and diversions.

Don't worry about these diversions, service roads are tarred.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 13:17   #2804

Hello! Intend to do Pune-Goa via Chorla next Sunday. Has anyone been on this route lately?

Any feedback is appreciated!!
Old 14th October 2019, 13:43   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
I have a Honda Amaze. Same family As Sawyer said, roads are doable by any car.

Most Viewed