Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 13:12   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Just reached Belgaum from Goa, en route to Pune. It has been pouring in Goa since yesterday, same conditions prevailed in Chorla and now in Belgaum too. Majority of the actual ghat section is ripped apart, so drive with extreme caution. If in doubt while negotiating the craters, come to a standstill and use 1st gear to go through them, as there's no way to judge their depth due to all the water flowing on the road.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th October 2019 at 13:14.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 13:13   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi Guys,

I drove from Mumbai to South Goa - Varca on 22nd October with my wife and my 4.5 year old daughter. ( 2016 Honda City I-vtec MT) We hit the road at 5am in the morning. The plan was to reach goa via Belgaum through Chorla Ghat.

At that point, we were right in the middle of Chorla Ghat/jungle. It was raining too. I tried changing tyres myself(1st time in my life) and was successful in removing the punctured tyre, however I could not replace the tyre as the jack would not turn after a point. It was getting dark and my wife was panicking as there was no mobile network. Also,every 2kms, there were boards stating “Beware of Leopards” which was playing on the back of my mind when I was removing the punctured tyre. I was drenched with the rains coming down heavily.

My 2 cents - please drive slowly through potholes. If my 2 month old tyre can go flat, imagine what could happen to older tyres.

Take care and Drive Safe!
Been there, done that!! About 5 years ago. I lost both tyres on the left side. I said then and I will say it again.... Chorla Ghat can be and is a dangerous road after dark. No help and no mobile network. Narrow road with no "run off / shoulder". Luckily, my incident took place in the early morning so darkness was not an issue but losing 2 tyres was. I had to leave the car on the side of the road and hitch a lift into Belgaum to buy a new tyre. Tigers had been spotted in the area just 2 days earlier - as per the local puncture shop guy. I, of course, had no idea.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 14:01   #2838
BHPian

Storm warning has been issued, effected areas will be from Daman to Mangalore

Please avoid travelling to these areas, or at least avoid the ghats and coastal road.
Be safe on the road

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...=72.678,19.085

Last edited by neofromcapone : 25th October 2019 at 14:01. Reason: typos
neofromcapone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 05:29   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Just reached Belgaum from Goa, en route to Pune. It has been pouring in Goa since yesterday, same conditions prevailed in Chorla and now in Belgaum too. Majority of the actual ghat section is ripped apart, so drive with extreme caution.
I guess you took this section while coming to Goa also. Is it worse now?
I would be starting tomorrow morning and am thinking to use the Sawantwadi - Nippani route.
Old 26th October 2019, 06:13   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
I guess you took this section while coming to Goa also. Is it worse now?
I would be starting tomorrow morning and am thinking to use the Sawantwadi - Nippani route.
No, it's more or less the same, but it just seemed worse due to the heavy rains.

If you are going to South Goa, don't bother with Amboli ghat. Chorla is drivable, albeit carefully.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 07:18   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
If you are going to South Goa, don't bother with Amboli ghat. Chorla is drivable, albeit carefully.
Thanks. I am in North Goa and would be driving back to Pune tomorrow. I had taken the Chorla route while coming.

Google maps shows a possible road closure on Corls today.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:30   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Thanks. I am in North Goa and would be driving back to Pune tomorrow. I had taken the Chorla route while coming.

Google maps shows a possible road closure on Corls today.
Didn't see any closure notification when I checked just now, maybe it's been cleared. But if you are in North Goa already, wouldn't Amboli be more convenient for the return trip?
Old 26th October 2019, 12:32   #2843
BHPian

Left Pune on Friday afternoon at around 4pm and reached Kolhapur by 9pm with sedate driving and one snacks and a diesel stop.
No major congestion faced apart from usual toll booths. Paid Toll through FastTag at all booths except Tasawade. At Tasawade booth, only few right lanes are FastTag enabled. Other toll booths have it on all lanes.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 16:03   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't see any closure notification when I checked just now, maybe it's been cleared. But if you are in North Goa already, wouldn't Amboli be more convenient for the return trip?
That's what google maps is showing me right now. I have never used this road before and hope the road is in a better condition than the Chorla ghat.
Old 26th October 2019, 16:12   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I have prepared sample itinerary for you. I feel there is no need to stop at least till Satara once you have breakfast at Talegoan Toll Plaza.

Start from Chembur - 6.00 AM
Talegoan Toll Plaza - 8.30 AM
Start from Talegaon Plaza - 9.15 AM
Lunch Break at Karad, Hotel Sangam - 12.30 PM
Start after Lunch - 1.15 PM

You will have an option of driving via
  • Kolhapur - Gagan bawada - Vaibhavwadi - Kankavali
  • Kagal - Nidhori - Radhanagari - Phondaghat - Kanakavali

Both route will require close to 4 - 4.30 hours from Karad. I would recommend route 2 as you will bypass Kolhapur city and will be on Kagal - Murgud road (off NH-4) quicker than getting through Kolhapur city traffic.
Highly appreciate your post. Can you send the Google map link for the second route you suggested?
Old 27th October 2019, 08:29   #2846
BHPian

Hey, I did a Ghatkopar to Morjim trip yesterday
Start time 425am reached at 320pm
Took the nipani amboli sawanthwadi pernem morjim(avoided banda)
In terms of route conditions- nipani to sawanthwadi is a mixed bag, luckily it wasnt raining. Its not all bad but do consider slowing down for the potholes. Nipani to amboli ghats have bad roads to start with and then gets fine and then again becomes bad. Amboli ghats the road are fine but there are bad patches which suddenly come and can catch you by surprise. Following sawantwadi most of the route was fine. Do consider slowing down for potholes especially in the nipani amboli route as though I saw loads of 'higher ground clearance' cars zooming, there was 1 who got a puncture.
All in all starting so early gave me a headache at the expressway since traffic was backed up for 1-2kms before the lonavala exit but I made up time at the khed shivapur toll (took 10-15mins) and other diversions.
Once again driving the cruze I took the potholes fairly slowly but made up time on the better roads.
We stopped for approximately 45mins.
Do let me know if anybody wants additional information
Thanks everyone for their inputs on this thread. Will be taking the exact route back
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 19:12   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Highly appreciate your post. Can you send the Google map link for the second route you suggested?
Gmaps link

I am not sure of road conditions as these areas have received incessant rains.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 19:55   #2848
BHPian

We returned back today through the Amboli ghat route.

We started at 0630 from Calangute and reached home by 5 pm. There are a lot of potholes in Calangute - Sawantwadi section till the state border. The section in front of the waterfall had a landslide and a single lane was available for traffic - this restriction was for about 100 meters. Apart from this the roads were in better shape than I expected. The other sections were okay with occasional bad patches. The road after the Karnataka border just before Nippani were awful. The potholes on the Satara - Pune stretch have been filled with paver blocks - not a perfect solution but still helps.

Having seen both the sections, the ghat section on Amboli is much better. Now if the roads on either side also improve.....

Last edited by dashoin : 27th October 2019 at 19:58.
dashoin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 12:12   #2849
BHPian

Has anyone recently used the Anmod ghat - Bhimgad Wildlife sanctury road? Gmaps is showing this as the nearest option. I am looking for options during the return journey from South Goa to Pune.
Old 28th October 2019, 12:24   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Has anyone recently used the Anmod ghat - Bhimgad Wildlife sanctury road? Gmaps is showing this as the nearest option. I am looking for options during the return journey from South Goa to Pune.
Anmod ghat is officially closed for all traffic, as per this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4660186 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

Not sure why GMaps continues to show it as an option to travel to South Goa.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks