Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:18   #2941
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Guys, came to Goa from Mumbai via the Chorla route. No issues whatsoever. The roads of Chorla ghat are in great condition. There is some construction work going on in Belgaum but it is totally manageable. So if you want to take the scenic Chorla route, don't hesitate at all.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 23:42   #2942
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I will be going to Goa from Mumbai by road in the coming few weeks. It is not going to be a long holiday, just an extended long weekend trip.

I know there are multiple routes to reach Goa, however, I was hoping if I could go for a little scenic route. Can someone tell me about all the options available and what route is the ideal/fastest/scenic one?

TIA
Old 6th January 2020, 15:03   #2943
BHPian

Returned on 01-Jan-2020 after a week in Goa

Took the Ajra - Amboli route on the way, barring a few stretches its absolutely a treat to drive and of course saves a lot of time as well.
Gave the Aria a break this time and took the Swift, no problems whatsoever. Normally the bad roads which I would enter nonchalantly, I simply skirted them with the Swift.

The return, due to some work we were compelled to take the Chorla ghat, and though being a die-hard fan of the road I would suggest to everyone to stay away unless you plan to cross Belgaum in the night, its just not worth it.

Firstly for all North Goa travellers, this increases the distance by around 50kms (429kms/8h37m) vs (469kms/9h33m) (Ravet to Siolim)
And then Belgaum is currently jacked up on all 4 wheels, crossing Chorla inspite of the traffic is no big deal due to excellent road conditions. The only places of concern are the so called 'View Points' where many intelligent souls park on the narrow road instead of moving off.

Belgaum was a mess, the road post the railway crossing was open for only incoming traffic and we were diverted to some another route with no signboards. Most of the highway passing through the city is getting converted to concrete so only one part is accessible. This mayhem will continue and spill over to the other side once this side is done. By when? No idea, I hope they get better contractors and not the Pune - Satara people.

After leaving Siolim at 430pm, we finally reached KFC Belgaum (Dr. Kore Hospital) at 900pm which is only 116kms covered of the total 469Kms.

Fastags worked throughout, though I found that at most tolls in MH I had to signal the employee after which the tag was magically recognized.
While am sure they have a manual override for vehicles still not having the sticker, I feel they keep it on this mode by default.

In the meanwhile enjoy Ajra - Amboli !

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 17:13   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I would suggest to everyone to stay away unless you plan to cross Belgaum in the night, its just not worth it.

Belgaum was a mess, the road post the railway crossing was open for only incoming traffic and we were diverted to some another route with no signboards. Most of the highway passing through the city is getting converted to concrete so only one part is accessible. This mayhem will continue and spill over to the other side once this side is done
Thanks for the detailed update I think you had missed reading my earlier posts on this thread where in I had mentioned a couple of times that its better to avoid Belgaum city ( and thereby Chorla route altogether ) unless you are crossing it at night or early morning.

If someone still opts for the Chorla route, refer my below post here which helps to navigate through the lesser traffic prone roads of Belgaum. Hope it helps in future for other travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
. I am sharing a Google map link below that will help you drive through lesser traffic prone roads of Belgaum. Though it will be longer, you will avoid all the terrible mess of main roads of the city and drive peacefully.

For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/iQxkkQJMQArTEpRU7

The point "E" in that Google map link is exactly where you get to join NH4. Google has not updated this connecting road between service lane and main highway.

Last edited by vivek95 : 8th January 2020 at 17:14. Reason: Spell check
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 19:21   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed update I think you had missed reading my earlier posts on this thread where in I had mentioned a couple of times that its better to avoid Belgaum city ( and thereby Chorla route altogether ) unless you are crossing it at night or early morning.
Definitely didn't miss it my friend! My usual route to Goa is always Chorla, since 2010 but we didnt use it this time due to the Civil works going on in Belgaum.
I have mentioned in my post that due to some work, we were 'compelled' to go through Chorla ghat, the work was in Belgaum and so as such we tried to circumvent as much as possible.

I just checked my timeline and compared that to the route that you have chalked out,

So we have taken nearly the same route, except we turned off right before INOX and then you have pointed out the route around the Bird Sanctuary while we went using the road closer to the city from the other side of the sanctuary as we planned to take a halt at KFC near the Kore hospital.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 18:46   #2946
Team-BHP Support

This news item has been doing the rounds on Whatsapp:

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-belgaum.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 18:58   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This news item has been doing the rounds on Whatsapp:
Phew And I reported this here in this thread last month when I drove to Tilari ghat from Belgaum. It definitely is the shortest route between Belgaum and Mapusa. Between Belgaum and Panjim, the shortest is Chorla route.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 20:05   #2948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Phew And I reported this here in this thread last month when I drove to Tilari ghat from Belgaum. It definitely is the shortest route between Belgaum and Mapusa. Between Belgaum and Panjim, the shortest is Chorla route.

Yup, been following your updates regularly. I am driving down on 23rd. Confused as to which route I should take. Destination is Candolim. If the Mapusa - Pernem road was better, I would have taken Amboli without a doubt. However, I believe the time saved between foothills of Chorla / Tilari would be worth the risk of faster arrival into Goa. But again, Belgaum roads have some nasty reports here.

My departure time is about 3-4am. What do you suggest?
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 20:42   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, been following your updates regularly. I am driving down on 23rd. Confused as to which route I should take. Destination is Candolim. If the Mapusa - Pernem road was better, I would have taken Amboli without a doubt. However, I believe the time saved between foothills of Chorla / Tilari would be worth the risk of faster arrival into Goa. But again, Belgaum roads have some nasty reports here.

My departure time is about 3-4am. What do you suggest?
For a 3-4 a.m departure from Pune towards Candolim, I would suggest you the Belgaum--Chorla route. Also, I would suggest the breakfast stop at Hotel Amar Pure veg, at the foothills of Stavanidhi ghat near Nipani.

Yes, Belgaum has become even more nasty. As of today, right from the entrance into the city at KLE hospital till the Gogte circle near Railway station, one side of the 4 lane divided road is completely closed for cementing purpose. Only Congress road onwards do you get a fully functional 4 lane road.

Anyways, the route that I had earlier shared in this thread is still feasible to navigate through the city. However keep in mind, this route totally bypasses the major eateries of Belgaum ( except 2 or 3 on Congress road ).

Follow this route ---> For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/EfoxKQtXTCK9HEZf6

I am not outright suggesting Tilari route on team bhp as I am getting the feeling that most wouldn't prefer that kind of a "substandard" route. I mean, Amboli, Chorla and Anmod are the 3 biggies to get into Goa. Tilari is not in the same league yet when it comes to supersmooth roads, plush eating joints etc. That said, Tilari definitely has improved way better than how horrendous it used to be for the last 15 years. The explorer in me would like to try routes like Tilari as well.

And by the way, Chorla route now has a huge and plush "Regenta resort" just outside Belgaum city ( I haven't tried it though ).
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 10:22   #2950
BHPian

Last week I drove my VW Polo from Belgaum to Candolim beach and back. It was a one day picnic with my friends. Started at 11 a.m from Belgaum and was back at 12 a.m midnight.

# Onward used the Chorla route :- Pleased to report that the entire route is excellent. All the potholes in the Karnataka section have been nicely patched up. The patch work is really very neat !!!

# Once into Goa, the potholes on the Chorla Ghat per se have also been filled up. The patch work is not as standard as Karnataka, however, the entire 17.5 kms of ghat section is in a good condition now.

# I took the Sanquelim--Amona--Marcel--Banastarim junction--Old Goa--Panjim--Reis Magos--Candolim route. Nothing significant to report here, the roads in Goa are good, though typically narrow as they always have been.

# Needless to say, Candolim beach was super awesome. The washroom complex outside the beach is excellent. Candolim Village panchayat has maintained the entrance area and parking very well.

# On the way back, I took the Amboli ghat route to Belgaum >>> Candolim--Mapusa--Sawantwadi--Amboli ghat--Chandgad--Belgaum. Fuelled up at Mapusa and did a full tank, obviously

# I started from Candolim at 8pm in the night, hence faced less traffic on the Mapusa--Sawantwadi route. Although the highway is under construction with diversions, the road conditions are good. 4 laned NH17 in Maharashtra is a bliss.

# Amboli ghat is in excellent super smooth condition.

# Amboli to MH--KA border till Shinoli is also a nice smooth road. The last 10 kms of road in Karnataka is bad and ridden with potholes.

# Last but not the least, the weather in Goa presently is heavenly
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 10:51   #2951
Team-BHP Support

I was hoping you'd take Tilari route down. I'll make a video of it on Thursday and post it here. Will return via Chorla. I am not too bullish on the final section of Amboli to Uttur road for hitting the NH.

EDIT: Found this video showing super smooth roads all the way down.

Could you please help me with the directions to avoid the construction mess in Belgaum and hit Tilari route?

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th January 2020 at 10:55.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 19:23   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping you'd take Tilari route down. I'll make a video of it on Thursday and post it here. Will return via Chorla. I am not too bullish on the final section of Amboli to Uttur road for hitting the NH.

EDIT: Found this video showing super smooth roads all the way down.

Could you please help me with the directions to avoid the construction mess in Belgaum and hit Tilari route?
I did not take the Tilari route because my home is located in way southern region of Belgaum ( Bhagyanagar ) and the road to Chorla begins very close to my place.

Save this Google map link in your phone. Starting point is where you exit NH4 for Belgaum, coming from Pune and then take the Bauxite road that you will put you on Belgaum--Vengurla highway. Your final route will be Pune--Belgaum--Patne phata--Tilarinagar--Kodali--Tilari ghat :-

Shared route
From Indal Colony to Kodali via Bauxite Road.

For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/skwsxkUjLUYH5Rif7

Nice video there. Refer this below post of mine where I had similarly shared my own video.

Quote:
I am happy to share an update on the Tilari ghat route to Goa

Below is a video I made while driving / ascending the ghat yesterday by mounting my phone on the holder. It shows the entire 7 kms of the ghat section. Ignore the conversation

https://Youtu.be/xGBvwjVA4U0
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:54   #2953
BHPian

Will be doing a Goa trip this week, any update on the Amboli ghat stretch? Last time when I went in 2018 it was in terrible condition. Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:21   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
I did not take the Tilari route because my home is located in way southern region of Belgaum ( Bhagyanagar ) and the road to Chorla begins very close to my place.

Save this Google map link in your phone. Starting point is where you exit NH4 for Belgaum, coming from Pune and then take the Bauxite road that you will put you on Belgaum--Vengurla highway. Your final route will be Pune--Belgaum--Patne phata--Tilarinagar--Kodali--Tilari ghat :-

Shared route
From Indal Colony to Kodali via Bauxite Road.

For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/skwsxkUjLUYH5Rif7

Nice video there. Refer this below post of mine where I had similarly shared my own video.
Hi Vivek95,

Thanks for posting the video.

I am headed to Goa on the 5th. I normally go through Belgaum to use the Chorla Ghat but am a bit wary of Belgaum now after reading about the concretisation being done on all major roads.
My final destination is Assagao (near Mapuca) so is it worthwhile me using the Tilari ghat? You have mentioned that the ghat road is just 7 Kms long. Is that correct? My wife suffers from motion sickness so a short ghat would be a bonus.

My main priorities are :
1. Good roads - Extra distance/time does not matter.
2. Minimum ghat sections.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
SS
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:03   #2955

Will be travelling to Goa this week from Pune. My final destination is Madgaon, south Goa. Any suggestions for the best route? Google is suggesting Anmod ghat but I'm not sure about the road conditions. Usually we prefer Chorla ghat but would love to try Anmod ghat if the road conditions are good. Thank you.

Most Viewed