Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 10:49   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
... Avoid Chorla !!!!! Definitely not any of the cars... SUVs can proceed with extreme caution.
+1. I am right now in South Goa. Came via Chorla on 2nd October. My X3 managed those craters fine, however, came across a professionally driven Ertiga stuck in one of the craters near Goa border. We were held up for over 20min in the traffic jam due to this.

Planning to return via Amboli.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:48   #3017

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Any idea if Gagan Bawda is still in pathetic state? Any other doable road to Kankavli or Vaibhawvadi?

Plan to go to Goa again soon, are the roads on Chorla ghat that bad for an Ameo to take?
Hi Allstar..
I fully agree that this was the best time to be in Goa. Though not native, I love the state so much that I ended up buying a small apartment in Benaulim

As to answer your queries, I wouldn't recommend the Chorla Ghat for a VW Ameo. I myself drive a 320d GT and even with her GC, I had to get down, gauge the crater depths and then plan my passage through the moonscape that Chorla Ghat has become. Agree that it's the shortest route to take for Bicholim, but pray please use the Anmod Ghat!

As for Gaganbawda, I don't have any first hand information about the road condition there. My brother came via the Amba Ghat from Ratnagiri on Sunday and reports the road is pathetic there too. So may be if you don't mind doing some extra miles, use the Amboli Ghat and go back to Kankavli via Sawantwadi. Again mind you NH17 is undergoing 4 laning works and hence do expect a lot of diversions etc.
Safe drive!
Capt. Haddock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:47   #3018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Haddock View Post
Hi Am1m. This was one of my best times in South Goa. I was there from 11 to 25th September. Hardly any tourists present, which gave us pristine empty beaches. Most of the famous touristy restaurants are open for business with proper COVID-19 precautions. Go to local joints and you can see things going for a toss. I can't say much about the hotels, as I didn't stay in one. You will find a mixed bag of people on the street, some taking precautions and others totally careless!
Very eager to know restaurants of interest around Benaulim for takeaway food? I don't mind local joints or the popular ones as well.
Old 6th October 2020, 20:30   #3019
BHPian

Quote:
As to answer your queries, I wouldn't recommend the Chorla Ghat for a VW Ameo. I myself drive a 320d GT and even with her GC, I had to get down, gauge the crater depths and then plan my passage through the moonscape that Chorla Ghat has become. Agree that it's the shortest route to take for Bicholim, but pray please use the Anmod Ghat!

As for Gaganbawda, I don't have any first hand information about the road condition there. My brother came via the Amba Ghat from Ratnagiri on Sunday and reports the road is pathetic there too.
Thanks Haddock. Looks like taking the Amba Ghat is the wisest choice even though it is the longest route to Kankavli. Having a house in Goa is a feeling next to very few other. Enjoy every bit of your time there. On roads, not sure why we pay Road Taxes when there are none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Very eager to know restaurants of interest around Benaulim for takeaway food? I don't mind local joints or the popular ones as well.
There are few which are good for sea food and surprisingly for Italian Cuisine. Joecons is one of them, they have a shack and a restaurant as well. There is another named Roger's which has some good fish curry. Few KMs drive towards Colva and there is a good homely restaurant named Viva Goa. Then there is Pedro and Gigi at Benaulim.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:08   #3020

Quote:
Hi moralfibre..

This is quite a subjective topic to give advice on!!
Though Allstar has covered most of the places in Benaulim, here are a few of my favourites:
Mother Recipes: An extremely lowly joint, run entirely by family members. It's only 4 to 5 tables set out in the yard of their house. It's open only for breakfast and lunch. Excellent homely Goan food dine in and take away too.. their vegetarian and non vegetarian kitchens are separate too! Very reasonable rates, but don't expect any fancy stuff.. it's mostly frequented only by locals.
Located on the Benaulim - Margaon road, it's available on Google maps.

On the Vaddi beach (take the small lane in front of the Holy Trinity Church) there is a joint called Hawaii Garden. He has now a limited menu due to the COVID pandemic, but whatever he serves is good!

You may also try various puffs and sandwiches from any of the Pastry Palace outlets; their Prawn Puffs are to die for!!

There is also another small joint called Ramola Cafe/bakery which serves good bakery products just opposite the Shop N Save Supermarket in Benaulim.

Of you don't mind venturing a little further away from Benaulim, please do try Star Light at ferry point Assolna, Martin's Corner at Betalbatim (I am sure you know the place but it would be a foul not to mention it for a live to eat guy like me ) Anantashram in Vasco (quite far away)
Cafe Tato - they have two outlets one is in Margaon City and another bang on NH 17 right opposite to the Government new big building.
The list would just go on.. Sitting here at home in Pune.. I already want to go back to Goa!
Capt. Haddock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:14   #3021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are few which are good for sea food and surprisingly for Italian Cuisine. Joecons is one of them, they have a shack and a restaurant as well. There is another named Roger's which has some good fish curry. Few KMs drive towards Colva and there is a good homely restaurant named Viva Goa. Then there is Pedro and Gigi at Benaulim.
Thanks buddy. Added Pedro and Gigi. Cheers!

Quote:
Mother Recipes: An extremely lowly joint, run entirely by family members. It's only 4 to 5 tables set out in the yard of their house. It's open only for breakfast and lunch. Excellent homely Goan food dine in and take away too
Quote:
On the Vaddi beach (take the small lane in front of the Holy Trinity Church) there is a joint called Hawaii Garden. He has now a limited menu due to the COVID pandemic, but whatever he serves is good!
Perfect! Added to my list.

Quote:
You may also try various puffs and sandwiches from any of the Pastry Palace outlets; their Prawn Puffs are to die for!!
Very unique. Hadn't tried Pastry Palace. Will check this one out as well.

There is also another small joint called Ramola Cafe/bakery which serves good bakery products just opposite the Shop N Save Supermarket in Benaulim.

Quote:
Of you don't mind venturing a little further away from Benaulim, please do try Star Light at ferry point Assolna, Martin's Corner at Betalbatim (I am sure you know the place but it would be a foul not to mention it for a live to eat guy like me ) Anantashram in Vasco (quite far away)
If this is a sister concern of Starlight in Arpora then their quality and service has taken a nosedive. Martin's corner is the most overrated restaurant

Anantashram had started off in Porvorim (North Goa) when they picked up everything from Girgaum and moved. Didn't know it was back in action at Vasco. This is something I'll surely try.

Quote:
Cafe Tato - they have two outlets one is in Margaon City and another bang on NH 17 right opposite to the Government new big building.
Bhaaji pav for the win. Cafe Tato and Bhonsale in Panjim were my all time favorites alongwith a few hole in the wall cafes.

Thanks Captain.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:45   #3022
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has just driven down to Goa in an Innova. He decided to use the Chorla Ghat as he lives near Bicholim even though I told him to use Amboli Ghat. He really regretted his decision as he says that Chorla is in a terrible state and they lost a lot of time due to bad roads and pot holes the size of craters. He would not recommend using the Chorla Ghat to anyone.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 13:21   #3023
BHPian

Planning to visit my home in North Goa (Moira). Will be taking Mumbai (Anderi West)-Pune-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Mapusa route.

Any idea realistically how long one should take to get to Mapusa? Google shows 11 hours+, My sister did this route in 9 in July this year via Ghodbunder as she was coming from Gujarat.
Old 7th October 2020, 17:07   #3024
BHPian

Wow, so happy to see this thread moving again!

After being scared witless (no bad words) for months on account of Covid-19, we are finally trying to brace ourselves and plan a trip to Goa in November 3rd week.

We have 2 favourite destinations in Goa, Vagator and Benaulim. Clearly resorts are to be avoided due to frequent interaction with other people, and the cleaning staff etc.

So I am looking for recommendations on self-catering accommodation near either of the above destinations, with at least the following:

1. As I said self-catering is a must, we would have most meals homemade, maybe get some pizzas and fish curry etc and heat it like crazy . So cooking apparatus, and a microwave is a must.
2. Goa means going to the beach everyday, coming back and washing clothes, so washing machine is a must too.
3. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids 10 and 6, so would prefer a family friendly and safe accommodation.

Looking forward to your recommendations. Safety is paramount, so please suggest accordingly.

About the route, I will most probably stick to Amboli this time, even if I head to South Goa!

Quote:
Near Benaulim,

Farmhouse - Seafood
The GoodFellas - If you are a pizza-lover.

Rest have already come up on this thread.

Last edited by harryputtar : 7th October 2020 at 17:22.
Old 7th October 2020, 17:20   #3025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Any idea realistically how long one should take to get to Mapusa? Google shows 11 hours+, My sister did this route in 9 in July this year via Ghodbunder as she was coming from Gujarat.
I believe it cannot be predicted unless you can predict traffic conditions in the ghat, toll booths, while leaving Bombay, etc.

I would start really early to avoid Bombay and Pune traffic. Something like 5am should get you past Pune bypass before traffic starts. You should get past Khed Shivapur toll latest by 7:45-8:00am. Thereafter it takes 4 hours to pass Kolhapur at a leisurely rate. Fastest in a car can be like 2.5 to 3 hours.

Kolhapur to Candolim takes about 3.5 hours. Including breaks you should be able to do it in 9-11 hours. Take Amboli route towards Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
So I am looking for recommendations on self-catering accommodation near either of the above destinations, with at least the following:

Looking forward to your recommendations. Safety is paramount, so please suggest accordingly.

About the route, I will most probably stick to Amboli this time, even if I head to South Goa!
I would book from either of these websites:

https://www.lohono.com/villas/india/goa
https://www.airbnb.co.in/
https://www.goavillasforrent.com/

Not sure if any of them have a good property down south. I would also reach out to people letting out their property on short term rental and negotiate for the period of my stay.

For South Goa, stick to Mollem route. I took it this weekend and it was a breeze.
Old 7th October 2020, 17:29   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.lohono.com/villas/india/goa
https://www.airbnb.co.in/
https://www.goavillasforrent.com/

Not sure if any of them have a good property down south. I would also reach out to people letting out their property on short term rental and negotiate for the period of my stay.

For South Goa, stick to Mollem route. I took it this weekend and it was a breeze.
Thanks for the inputs!

I was hoping to get some directed advice about specific self-catering places, recommended by members who have had first hand experience with them. Not necessarily South Goa, like I said Vagator and the surrounding areas are OK too. But if nothing works out, will also checkout the above .

About the route would you recommend the same route both to and from Goa?

I can see in your travelogue that on the way to Goa you took the Amboli route, and Mollem-Anmod ghat on the way back. Any specific reason for the different route on the way there?

Last edited by harryputtar : 7th October 2020 at 17:36.
Old 7th October 2020, 17:58   #3027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

About the route would you recommend the same route both to and from Goa?

I can see in your travelogue that on the way to Goa you took the Amboli route, and Mollem-Anmod ghat on the way back. Any specific reason for the different route on the way there?
Thrill. We were on bikes so decided to explore multiple routes.
Old 7th October 2020, 19:50   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Guess I am late to reply. But since topic of food joints has come up. Couple of recommendations from my side.

Ros Omlette on Ulhas Gaddo. He sets up his stall on a cart in the evening after 7.00. Try mutton soup along with Ros omlette. Open all days except Monday.

Forget Pastry Palace, try puffs and cakes from this Bakers point bakery. Try carrot cake.

If you want to satisfy your taste buds then plan a visit to local joint Fish on Fire .

I would also recommend Pentagon Restaurant over Martin's Corner.

If I don't stop, the list probably will go on.

Quote:

We have 2 favourite destinations in Goa, Vagator and Benaulim. Clearly resorts are to be avoided due to frequent interaction with other people, and the cleaning staff etc.

So I am looking for recommendations on self-catering accommodation near either of the above destinations.

If you are not very keen on only these 2 locations try Saudades Homestay. This place is in South Goa, between Majorda and Betal Batim beach.

Both beaches are in the range of 2-3 kms.

Another regular visitor to Goa, Parag Sachania stayed here some time back.

Quote:
Route via Amboli for South Goa is a bad bad idea. If you decide to stay at above place then recommended route would be Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod - Mollem - You destination.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th October 2020 at 20:42. Reason: Correcting Fish on Fire's URL :)
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 20:05   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
... Planning to return via Amboli
Road was much better than Chorla and got a little rain and fog too at the top.

Quote:
Very eager to know restaurants of interest around Benaulim for takeaway food...
Unsure, it was answered already- Swiggy was working and they were delivering to the hotels (in south Goa at least). So, no need to step out if you don't want to. You can get your food delivered to your hotel. I was feeling little sad for those street side stalls selling souvenirs, tee shirts and knickknacks. All empty. Never seen such stalls missing usual hustle bustle in this season despite a long weekend. I think it is a long way to recovery.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 20:52   #3030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
If I don't stop, the list probably will go on.
Bookmarked and saved all that you shared. But, don't stop! I am putting together this list.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed