Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 21:27   #3121
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Recently did a Mum-Kolhapur-Mum trip. Location of a few good washrooms on the way from Goa to Mumbai:

Fern Karad (a little bit of detour)

Petrol Pump just after Satara
https://goo.gl/maps/7Fgrchc4TacDHiVp7

Woodstock Foodmall on the Expressway. This one has only a McDonalds and DosaDiner (not operational)
https://goo.gl/maps/GfGFqC1mTrYi4f9R7
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:50   #3122
BHPian

Guys, Planning from Belgaum to Tarkarli, any idea, how are the road condition, Thanks.
Old 13th December 2020, 16:09   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The route looks good barring your journey in Goa. You should take the route via Pernem - Parse - Siolim - Candolim to avoid slowing down for highway construction.

https://goo.gl/maps/o5M8mMvYtMsRPdheA
I’m travelling to Panjim via Amboli on Wednesday. Will the above mentioned road construction affect me as well? If yes, any tips on how I can avoid that?
Old 13th December 2020, 18:15   #3124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
I’m travelling to Panjim via Amboli on Wednesday. Will the above mentioned road construction affect me as well? If yes, any tips on how I can avoid that?
Yes it is terrible. Take the Pernem - Parse - Siolim route to avoid this mayhem.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 23:55   #3125
BHPian

Our annual Goa Holiday is finally here and we are leaving over the weekend from Mumbai, with one overnight stop planned in between. We are staying at Candolim and as advised here, will be taking the Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - karad - Nipani - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli - Pernem - Candolim route.

Will update latest once we reach.
Old 14th December 2020, 13:11   #3126
BHPian

Can anyone please confirm Chorla ghat road condition? Travelling from Kolhapur to Sanquelim on 25th, this route seems to be the shortest.

Also, will be travelling back from Varca to Kolhapur via Anmod ghat. Any update on Anmod ghat road? Has anyone travelled recently?
Old 14th December 2020, 23:59   #3127
BHPian

Me too leaving this weekend for Goa.

I will be headed to South Goa (Cuncolim) and by all means it seems a no brainer to use Anmod Ghat. The only doubt is the Belgaum crossing which I would like to avoid/cover in a best possible manner. the problem is that if I need to cross Belgaum before the city starts crawling I will have to make a mid night start, which is difficult. I plan to start at 3 and hope for the best.

Any relevant pointer is most welcome.

Rest I will update once I have done this stretch as I believe there are many who will doing this route during the 25th Weekend.
Old 15th December 2020, 08:38   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
The only doubt is the Belgaum crossing which I would like to avoid/cover in a best possible manner. the problem is that if I need to cross Belgaum before the city starts crawling I will have to make a mid night start, which is difficult. I plan to start at 3 and hope for the best.
Crossing Belgaum is not the nightmare it's portrayed to be. While you can expect a little traffic, it will be moving at most places, albeit slowly. I crossed Belgaum (traveling towards Pune) around 9.30 AM on November 23, and it did not take me more than 20 minutes from Piranwadi cross to the NH4, via Congress Road - Bogarves Circle - Rani Chennamma Circle - Hotel Ramdev - KLE Medical College Campus.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 15th December 2020 at 08:51.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:17   #3129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Can anyone please confirm Chorla ghat road condition? Travelling from Kolhapur to Sanquelim on 25th, this route seems to be the shortest.
It is the shortest but be ready to endure about 15-20kms of terrible roads in the ghat section.

Quote:
Also, will be travelling back from Varca to Kolhapur via Anmod ghat. Any update on Anmod ghat road? Has anyone travelled recently?
Anmod ghat is in pristine condition. Nothing to worry about. A small section between Anmod and the Bhimgad sanctuary gate is broken bad. I measured it and it is about 5kms of bad roads till the gate and about 6-7 km between the gate and Khanapur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Me too leaving this weekend for Goa.

I will be headed to South Goa (Cuncolim) and by all means it seems a no brainer to use Anmod Ghat. The only doubt is the Belgaum crossing which I would like to avoid/cover in a best possible manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Crossing Belgaum is not the nightmare it's portrayed to be. While you can expect a little traffic, it will be moving at most places, albeit slowly. I crossed Belgaum (traveling towards Pune) around 9.30 AM on November 23, and it did not take me more than 20 minutes from Piranwadi cross to the NH4, via Congress Road - Bogarves Circle - Rani Chennamma Circle - Hotel Ramdev - KLE Medical College Campus.
+100000 to comfortablynumb. I have never faced any issue doing this route. Always relied on Google maps and it is covered in under 20-30 minutes.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:28   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
It is the shortest but be ready to endure about 15-20kms of terrible roads in the ghat section.

Anmod ghat is in pristine condition. Nothing to worry about. A small section between Anmod and the Bhimgad sanctuary gate is broken bad. I measured it and it is about 5kms of bad roads till the gate and about 6-7 km between the gate and Khanapur.
Thanks, moralfibre!
So if I have to chose between Chorla and Anmod while coming back (Just because I can/may want to take a pit stop at Sanquelim), would you recommend Anmod over Chorla? Just trying to figure out which is less risky
I drive a Vento.
Old 15th December 2020, 10:48   #3131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Thanks, moralfibre!
So if I have to chose between Chorla and Anmod while coming back (Just because I can/may want to take a pit stop at Sanquelim), would you recommend Anmod over Chorla? Just trying to figure out which is less risky
I drive a Vento.
I would bite the bullet and drive slowly via Chorla. Reasons? Sanquelim to Belgaum is 84km via Chorla v/s 124km. Even if you drive slow over broken patches you will save a significant amount of time via Chorla.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:36   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
I would bite the bullet and drive slowly via Chorla. Reasons? Sanquelim to Belgaum is 84km via Chorla v/s 124km. Even if you drive slow over broken patches you will save a significant amount of time via Chorla.
Thanks again! I was just looking for guidance like this to decide, now I think I am sure
Old 15th December 2020, 13:48   #3133
BHPian

Update on the Pune Goa Route

Use the Amboli route, roads are in excellent shape. Butter smooth to drive, freshly tarred.
Returned on the first week of December 2020. Expecting the roads to remain the same for atleast a year. Baga to Pune driving time less than 9hrs with a stop at McD kolhapur, with traffic after Satara.

Chorla ghat, my normal route for the past couple of years is in a very bad shape. I would say atleast 60% of the patch is very bad. Took the route expecting the route will be as before. But I guess its the rains that must have damaged the roads. I remember the roads being in good condition in 2019.

Absolutely avoid Chorla route for now.
frewper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 19:02   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is terrible. Take the Pernem - Parse - Siolim route to avoid this mayhem.
Thanks a lot for this mate. Helped a lot. Left Kolhapur at 830 am today. Reached Panjim at 12.30 pm. The road upto the Goa border is excellent. Just two small things to look out for- 1. Lots of unmarked speed breakers for the first ten km after getting off the highway at Tawandi Ghat and 2. The first ten odd km after Ajra is not in the best shape.

Rest of the road is very good.
Potenza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 10:59   #3135
BHPian

So, we finally reached Goa yesterday. Took the Mumbai - Pune Exp - Pune - Satara - Karad - Kolhapur - Nipani - Ajara - Amboli - Parnem - Siolim - Candolim Route.

Left Mumbai at 1.45PM and reached Karad at 6.15pm with one stop for refueling at the Shell Petrol Pump after the Khed-Shivpur Toll. Stayed overnight on Friday at the Fern, Karad and left at 4.30AM to reach Candolim at 11.15AM with one 30min stop for breakfast at Amboli Ghat and 2-3 more photo / bio breaks in between.

I found roads upto Satara mostly ok, the soft suspension on the Hector smoothed most bumps and bad parts. After Satara, the roads improve a lot and moreso once we were into Karnataka. After Nipani, roads are very good with some sections around Ajra broken, but nothing you can't manage and far far better than last year and I would say 85% near butter smooth. GMaps put us on a shortcut after Amboli to circumvent Savantwadi, which was the only really bad stretch, and this should be seriously avoided.
That is till you reach Goa, after which road construction work is mayhem and maddening.

I found traffic, both commercial, passenger and private far more than any of the years we have visited before. Though we luckily lost very little time on tolls plazas, traffic throughout was substantial and even during odd hours. Watch out for morning joggers, walkers near Nipani and Ajra.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PGNarain : 20th December 2020 at 11:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks