Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 16:38   #3271
NKN
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

We are driving down to South Goa this weekend with family. Is there a need to carry a RT-PCR test report. Had travelled this route (via Anmod) in Dec and late Feb and was carrying the report, however no one checked or stopped us for checking.
The original plan was to start on 10th Saturday morning and reach by noon, however due to the lock down rules in MH, have changed the plan to start late on 9th Friday, take a break a Belgaum and then continue on 10th. Any recent updates will be helpful
Old 6th April 2021, 22:39   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
We are driving down to South Goa this weekend with family. Is there a need to carry a RT-PCR test report. Had travelled this route (via Anmod) in Dec and late Feb and was carrying the report, however no one checked or stopped us for checking.
The original plan was to start on 10th Saturday morning and reach by noon, however due to the lock down rules in MH, have changed the plan to start late on 9th Friday, take a break a Belgaum and then continue on 10th. Any recent updates will be helpful
I travelled last Friday to central Goa via Chorla ghat route. We encountered a 20-minute wait at the Karnataka border because the policemen were asking everyone for RT-PCR negative reports, which we did not have.

They asked us our destination and when we said it’s Goa, they let us go without any further questions. The situation may have changed now, not sure about that.
Crow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:26   #3273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I travelled last Friday to central Goa via Chorla ghat route. We encountered a 20-minute wait at the Karnataka border because the policemen were asking everyone for RT-PCR negative reports, which we did not have.

They asked us our destination and when we said it’s Goa, they let us go without any further questions. The situation may have changed now, not sure about that.
How was the condition of chorla ghat road?

I have been reading the reviews here and seeing mixed reviews. I'm planning for a drive down to south goa with a two year old but not confident if the road is bad.
Appreciate if you can share your views.
Old 7th April 2021, 13:45   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machalu View Post

I have been reading the reviews here and seeing mixed reviews. I'm planning for a drive down to south goa with a two year old but not confident if the road is bad.

Chorla Ghat has been completely redone with fresh tar, no issues.
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:09   #3275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's the same. They stopped us at Nippani just before the Goa exit and checked our RT-PCRs (We were going to Karnataka). But they first checked if we were headed to Goa. THose that said yes were just waved on.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 00:03   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machalu View Post

The road surface is freshly laid and very smooth, as @Trojan said in reply to your post. I’d like to highlight a couple of things though.

Chorla ghat is quite narrow and has a lot of blind turns. Two vehicles can pass side by side quite easily, but I encountered some commercial vehicles being driven rashly on this road. Heavy vehicles are not allowed according to some signboards on the way, but I saw one truck and several KSRTC buses apart from Goa registered mini-buses on the way.

Most of these vehicles are being driven quite fast and I was definitely worried especially at the hairpin bends due to their speed.

For experienced ghat drivers this isn’t going to be a worry, but as someone who’s driven mostly in Mumbai and on four/six lane highways, it was a challenge.

My advice is to avoid Chorla route at night or when the light is low since there are no street lights for most of the way. Due to the dense tree cover, it gets dark earlier than usual. We were in the ghat around 1.30pm and it felt more like 4pm. The temperature was lower in the ghat and apart from worrying about speeding vehicles, I had no complaints. With more experience I may even have enjoyed the drive.

PS: There’s no mobile network in Chorla ghat either. You won’t get lost for sure since there’s only one road to take you in or out, but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Last edited by Crow : 8th April 2021 at 00:25. Reason: Added one bit about mobile networks.
Crow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 00:39   #3277

Quote:
The road surface is freshly laid and very smooth, as @Trojan said in reply to your post. I’d like to highlight a couple of things though.

Chorla ghat is quite narrow and has a lot of blind turns. Two vehicles can pass side by side quite easily, but I encountered some commercial vehicles being driven rashly on this road. Heavy vehicles are not allowed according to some signboards on the way, but I saw one truck and several KSRTC buses apart from Goa registered mini-buses on the way.

Most of these vehicles are being driven quite fast and I was definitely worried especially at the hairpin bends due to their speed.

For experienced ghat drivers this isn’t going to be a worry, but as someone who’s driven mostly in Mumbai and on four/six lane highways, it was a challenge.

My advice is to avoid Chorla route at night or when the light is low since there are no street lights for most of the way. Due to the dense tree cover, it gets dark earlier than usual. We were in the ghat around 1.30pm and it felt more like 4pm. The temperature was lower in the ghat and apart from worrying about speeding vehicles, I had no complaints. With more experience I may even have enjoyed the drive.

PS: There’s no mobile network in Chorla ghat either. You won’t get lost for sure since there’s only one road to take you in or out, but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Thanks for the detailed answer. this certainly helps me make informed decisions. I'm still contemplating especially considering the sudden lock down being imposed in Maharashtra.
Old 10th April 2021, 16:23   #3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Hi NKN, did you travel? What was your experience? My plan is to drive on Sunday morning from Mumbai to Goa. Do t know if we will be stopped dude to lockdown or there will be a need for RTPCR. We tried getting the tests done but there is apparently a shortage in Mumbai and all labs refused. Also home visit dates being given after 4-5 days
Old 11th April 2021, 07:04   #3279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushants View Post
Hi NKN, did you travel? What was your experience? My plan is to drive on Sunday morning from Mumbai to Goa. Do t know if we will be stopped dude to lockdown or there will be a need for RTPCR. We tried getting the tests done but there is apparently a shortage in Mumbai and all labs refused. Also home visit dates being given after 4-5 days
I went to south goa via chorla ghat and I wasn't asked for any covid negative certificate through out the journey. In the maharashtra-karnataka border the cops asked me where I was heading to and was asked to proceed when I mentioned Goa.
Once the chorla ghat was crossed, there was a check to see if my documents were in place. That's all.
Btw the chorla ghat road is awesome now
Machalu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:57   #3280
BHPian

Hello, this is my first post in TBHP!

Last week I had travelled to North Goa from Pune using the route : Pune - Kolhapur - Nipanni - Ajra - Amboli(Ghat) - Banda - Pernem - Vagator

Reached Kagal toll gate around early morning 5 AM and was asked for RTPCR COVID report, but they let me go when we said that we were going to Goa. After that there was no checking anywhere.

While returning via same route there is a check for alcohol once you leave Goa both in MH (Amboli) and again COVID+Alcohol checks at Karnataka (Nipanni area). In the later check-post there were covid officials of KA along with police and one of them noted my vehicle number, phone number and destination city (Pune) in a register and let us go since our destination city was not in KA. Also they frisked our cargo for alcohol which we were not carrying.

Then when we crossed Kagal toll there was a routine check by police for vehicle documents. He asked for DL, PUC, Insurance (and strangely didn't ask for RC book) but let us go after verifying those documents. The inspector didn't mind the fact that my DL was physically damaged

Satya
sat123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:40   #3281

Friends, I travelled from Mumbai to Goa on Monday 12th April. We started at 630 AM from Mumbai and planned to take the Mumbai Belgaum Chorla Ghat route as suggested in the forum and by a local. My destination was Dona Paula.

My original plan was to leave on Sunday 11th April from Mumbai. We decided against it as it was a weekend curfew time and we didi not want to take any chances.

During our journey there was a check post for Covid checking. We had our RTPCR reports ready. However, when they head we are going to Goa, they didn’t ask for the report and waved us on. Pictures of check post attached

Google maps took us through Belgavi City. We stopped there for our lunch and then proceeded towards Chorla Ghat at 2 PM. The Distance from Belgavi to Dona Paula was around 100 kms and expected time taken was about 3 hours given the winding nature of the roads.

Unfortunately, we had two tyres burst in our BMW X1. Seems it is a known issue with Pirelli RFT original Equipment. The road was fine - it seems there were some potholes which we couldn’t feel but had a bad result on the car.

Given Chorla Ghat doesn’t have network connectivity it was a real challenge. Finally managed to get lift to a Dhaba who arranged a car for our family.Left the car at the nearest Dhaba. Next day, I found an amazing Towing service with flat bed And used them. Name is Sri Ganesh Towing service and number is +91 91465 86627. He did a great job. Photo of his towing vehicle attached.

Finally, we are in Goa, tyres replaced and hopefully the drive back will be uneventful.

Good luck to all and safe driving.

Sushant

EDIT: Oh and also on Goa border they check for vehicle papers and mask etc. we got a 200 rupees fine because my father left his mask in our stranded BMW and was sitting in the front seat of the taxi without mask. We were all too hassled to notice. We paid the fine and bought survivals masks at the next chemist shop.

All states have different rules regarding masks while driving so better mask up at all check points. I don’t see a point in masks in private car with family members, but gotta follow the rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-7b79455b669648bd89994296fae89ff6.jpeg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-d49c49baa15c4134a45415cdd7487b71.jpeg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-d74455faa8d443b9abd68deed8aef1d2.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th April 2021 at 12:46. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post.
Sushants is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 13:21   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, we had two tyres burst in our BMW X1. Seems it is a known issue Next day, I found an amazing Towing service with flat bed And used them. Name is Sri Ganesh Towing service and number is +91 91465 86627. He did a great job.

All states have different rules regarding masks while driving so better mask up at all check points. I don't see a point in masks in private car with family members, but gotta follow the rules.
Thank you so much for your updates. Quite useful in case of emergencies of tyre burst in the Chorla ghats
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:51   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Oh and also on Goa border they check for vehicle papers and mask etc. we got a 200 rupees fine because my father left his mask in our stranded BMW and was sitting in the front seat of the taxi without mask. We were all too hassled to notice. We paid the fine and bought survivals masks at the next chemist shop.

All states have different rules regarding masks while driving so better mask up at all check points. I don’t see a point in masks in private car with family members, but gotta follow the rules.
Glad that they have started checking for masks. Before few weeks most people in the touristy places including Panjim didn't bother wearing them as there were no fines and checks by authorities.
Old 14th April 2021, 19:11   #3284
Distinguished - BHPian

With MH lockdown, do we require any travel pass / document to drive down to Goa?
Old 16th April 2021, 14:16   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I travelled from Mumbai to Goa on Monday 12th April.
When are you planning to return to Mumbai considering the current lockdown situation? I too am in Goa at present and need to decide whether to stay back till the lockdown is over or return next week.

It seems there is no mechanism for "e-pass" for this lockdown.

Most Viewed