Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 09:37   #3436
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Dear Forum,

Planning the annual pilgrimage to Goa next week, albeit shortened this time by the Covid madness .

Need some inputs about:

1. The route - I am planning Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Anmod-Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary-Goa, and the same way back. I have a low slung Jetta which is prone to underbody scraps and loves to drive on roads . Am I good here?

2. RTPCR - Both me and home minister are fully vaccinated, kids of course are not. Do we need to worry about the kids RTPCR on the way to Goa or back?

Any inputs and recent experiences will fill my heart with warm fuzzy feelings .
Old 18th October 2021, 09:57   #3437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
2. RTPCR - Both me and home minister are fully vaccinated, kids of course are not. Do we need to worry about the kids RTPCR on the way to Goa or back?
In the same boat (25-29th Oct) here, my wifey, elder kid, and self are vaccinated, the youngest kid is not. Planning to use Amboli route to stay in North Goa. Following earnestly for RTPCR updates from fellow bhpians.
Old 18th October 2021, 10:31   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
In the same boat (25-29th Oct) here, my wifey, elder kid, and self are vaccinated, the youngest kid is not. Planning to use Amboli route to stay in North Goa. Following earnestly for RTPCR updates from fellow bhpians.
They don't check vaccination for kids. We travelled through Kognoli and then into Goa from Chorla. The officer only saw the vaccination for the 4 adults and didn't ask about the kids.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:18   #3439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Dear Forum,

1. The route - I am planning Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Anmod-Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary-Goa, and the same way back. I have a low slung Jetta which is prone to underbody scraps and loves to drive on roads . Am I good here?
Hi,
We used Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary, and though the roads were good for most part there's a stretch that is notorious for poor roads (as you're approaching the Goa end of Bhimgad). I don't believe the route has seen any work since we last visited it in February 2021.

Chorla would be a better bet even though there are portions that are washed away there too, but you will clear almost all patches without much worry if you follow the correct line.

Between Bhimgad in Feb & Chorla post monsoons : I would vote for Chorla as we maintained better speeds with the Tiguan there compared to Bhimgad as it had lesser poor patches.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:00   #3440
OmV
BHPian

Hello Forum,

I am headed from Mumbai to South Goa (Cavelossim-Mobor) next week in a Seltos and/or Kiger. Between Chorla and Bhimgad, which is the recommended route from recent experiences?

2. Another consideration is that we plan to start from Mumbai around 9-10pm - is the Bhimgad road closed during night hours like some other roads through wildlife sanctuaries?

3. What is the final word on RTPCR requirements? All members of my group are adults with 2 doses completed.

TIA.
Old 19th October 2021, 11:06   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
Hello Forum,

I am headed from Mumbai to South Goa (Cavelossim-Mobor) next week in a Seltos and/or Kiger. Between Chorla and Bhimgad, which is the recommended route from recent experiences?

2. Another consideration is that we plan to start from Mumbai around 9-10pm - is the Bhimgad road closed during night hours like some other roads through wildlife sanctuaries?

3. What is the final word on RTPCR requirements? All members of my group are adults with 2 doses completed.

TIA.
1. From recent posts, it seems Chorla is the preferred option with some bad patches in the ghat section, but Bhimgad - Anmod route is also decent, apart from a few broken patches inside Bhimgad WLS.

2. When I last used Bhimgad route (in late 2020), vehicles were allowed only from 6 AM to 6 PM.

3. Don't know.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 18:09   #3442
BHPian

Planning a trip to North Goa first week of November, this has been in the works for years now, so really looking forward to it.

As per the recent posts, summarising my understanding and also some queries:
1. Route:

Chorla is the best option. Amboli is in a very bad shape, best avoided. I have a query regarding Amba ghat route, has anyone tried it? Last weekend I went till Amba ghat and the road was amazing throughout. Not sure about the state of the road from Amba ghat onwards towards Goa. It will definitely add an hour to the travel, so in 2 minds whether Amba ghat is worth trying or stick to Chorla Ghat route. Any guidance please?

2. Covid Test:

1. From Maharashtra to Goa entry point of view - Adults need to be either fully vaccinated with 14 days after the last dose or have an RTPCR report which is taken less than 72 hours before. For kids they need to have a negative RTPCR test taken less than 72 hours before the trip. Is this necessary or as long as adults are fully vaccinated this is not an issue?

2. For Karnataka border entry from Maharashtra - though on paper they say all Maharashtra arivals need a negative RTPCR test taken less than 72 hours before the trip. However, if you have a Goa booking then only the Adults need to be fully vaccinated?
Old 19th October 2021, 18:16   #3443
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have just returned from our Goa trip last Sunday.
We took the Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Nippani - Amboli - Goa route.
Barring few sections in the ghat section majority of the road condition was good.
At the Karnataka border check post the police were checking for RTPCR reports only for cars entering Karnataka. When we mentioned that our destination was Goa they just waved us through. Tourists buses were checked thoroughly though. On our return leg we didn't come across any checking on the Maharashtra side. Over all it was a hassel free trip.
InsaneSpeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:46   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Road update: 15-18th Oct.

Went via Amboli ghat (Pune -> Kolhapur -> Nippani -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi bypass -> Panjim) and came back via Gaganvawda (Panjim -> Sawantwadi Bypass -> Talere -> Gaganvawda -> Kolhapur -> Pune). Time taken for both routes were nearly same despite latter route is a bit longer.

Top surface of Amboli ghat road is broken over 60% of length between Nippani and Sawantwadi. However, very few deep pot-holes of worry. Any hatch/sedan can do it with little care.

Gaganvawda road has smooth single lane tarmac (40%) but sudden deep potholes which crop up every now and then. The top of the ghat has no road (loose gravels, deep craters and turtle top) for almost 4-5 kms. I felt traction control and AWD engaging in X3 at a couple of steep hairpin sections here. Traffic is also low and eateries are few. Avoid in sedan and hatchback. However, the best part of this route is newly 4-laned NH-66 (earlier NH17 Bombay-Goa) highway between Goa border (Patradevi) and Talere (branch off to Gaganvawda), some 100 kms is a breeze. Currently there is no toll on this road.

Summary
I had also done Chorla and Anmod Ghats in September (Ganpati) on FatBoy. Out of all four routes, my pick will be Chorla in terms of road condition and recommended for south of Panjim. Pick Amboli if driving to Panjim or north of it.

Cheers,
-BJ

EDIT: RT-PCR checks
Mh-KN border (kognoli), just asked about destination and let us pass. MH -GA (Patradevi) border, just asked about double vaccination and let us pass. They didn't verify the certificate, however, they were stopping tourist buses and checking thoroughly. No checks while returning.

Last edited by bj96 : 20th October 2021 at 13:52.
bj96 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 01:38   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Road update: 15-18th Oct.

I had also done Chorla and Anmod Ghats in September (Ganpati) on FatBoy. Out of all four routes, my pick will be Chorla in terms of road condition and recommended for south of Panjim. Pick Amboli if driving to Panjim or north
Thanks for the update.

I will be traveling to Candolim next week in my X3. Since you have experienced Amboli and Chorla Ghats recently which route do you feel is better in terms of travel time and road condition ?

As per Google maps Pune to Candolim through Chorla ghat takes approximately 30 minutes more than taking Amboli Ghat. Will the comparatively better road condition of Chorla ghat compensate for the longer route ?

I will be travelling with a 6 year old. Hope no RTPCR required for children
Old 21st October 2021, 03:13   #3446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post
Thanks for the update.

I will be traveling to Candolim next week in my X3. Since you have experienced Amboli and Chorla Ghats recently which route do you feel is better in terms of travel time and road condition ?
The X3 would be able to butcher both the roads, though in the Tiguan I felt Chorla to be better.

We stayed at Hilton Goa Resort which is near Candolim (10 min), and both routes took us similar time. In fact chorla saw higher average speed which helped cut down on the time. We left at 4am and both times took 10.5 hours including stops.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:35   #3447
BHPian

Hi, would be driving in from Sringeri enroute to Mumbai.

Which part of Goa should I stay in? North or South?
Old 21st October 2021, 18:08   #3448
BHPian

Travelled from Pune to South Goa on 13-Oct and returned on 16-Oct. We were prepared for Covid checks with Hotel booking, vaccination certificates and RT-PCR reports for the kids printed and filed. Picked Chorla route based on reports that it was better than Anmod.

Left early on 5:30 am and made good progress due to less traffic. Road condition was sub par (as expected) till Satara and gets better onwards. till We were stopped after Kognoli toll plaza for Covid checks. I showed the Goa hotel booking to the guy and were waved past without checking anything else.

Chorla route is overall in decent condition however there are patches where the road is completely washed away with craters and trenches more than a foot deep! I had to literally get out and figure out the best way to get my Vento through. Suffered 2 nasty underbody hits, despite being very careful. IMHO Chorla route should be avoided by sedans until the bad patches are repaired. I saw hatchbacks and CSUVs make there way through the craters without much issue due to shorter wheelbase and better GC respectively.

Covid checks were more thorough at the Goa border. Vaccination certificates and RT-PCR reports were checked along with ID proofs. Did not have to get out of my car for the checks since there was no one else waiting in queue.

Few minutes away from Ponda, the DSG gearbox started jerking, RPM was oscillating between 2k and 2.5k due to engine misfiring and EPC warning light turned on. Did not drive the car and managed to get a flatbed to take my car to Mody VW after 3 hours. Was fearing the worst possible scenario but it turned out to be an issue with the ignition cord and unrelated to the underbody hits. Since the part was not in stock and there was no way to get the car back, arranged for a driver to get my FIL's Venue all the way from Dapoli since Pune airport was closed and trains were full.

Picked Anmod-Bhimgad route on the way back. Anmod ghat is in very good shape since most of it is concrete. There is approx 4-5 kms bad patch in the Bhimgad area, but nothing a sedan would not be able to handle. Since I was in the Venue this time, it was a breeze to clear this patch .

In Summary - my recommendation is to avoid Chorla route if you have a sedan until it is repaired.
jogidada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:22   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
In Summary - my recommendation is to avoid Chorla route if you have a sedan until it is repaired.
I too did a Pune-South Goa trip last week and my experience on the road matches 100% with yours. I was in Linea and it took a couple of hits while going thru Chorla (nothing serious). The main reason being, you are at a decent speed when the craters suddenly show up and trust me, those are not just pot holes.

Anmod on the other had has a patch of 10 kms thru the sanctuary which is very bad, but at least you know it is bad. Its a known devil. The rest of the road is excellent.
Ferrari1976 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:40   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post
As per Google maps Pune to Candolim through Chorla ghat takes approximately 30 minutes more than taking Amboli Ghat. Will the comparatively better road condition of Chorla ghat compensate for the longer route ?
I regularly go to Goa for work, and till afew months ago used to take the Amboli route, in March 21 when KA had closed borders to MH residents I took the Pune Kolhapur Gaganbavda, Talere Patradevi route, it is 12 km more than Amboli and about 30 min more as we pass through Kolhapur city, but surface in the karul ghat is decent, and we get to use the Talere to Patradevi completed stretch of the Mumbai Goa E way.
Google never shows this route, but all state transport and private buses as well as regular cabbies use it.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed