Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 11:14   #3601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Guys, not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone recently traveled along Kumbharli ghat? The one which connects Umbraj and Chiplun?
Or this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5183682 (Pune - Guhagar : Route Queries)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 08:16   #3602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Oh really? Which part of North Goa specifically? I would have imagined that North Goa is still better accessed from Nipani / Amboli ghat. I’m riding in a few weeks from now to North Goa - plan to take Amboli.
We were headed to Candolim and Calangute.
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:01   #3603

Road update

I live in Goa so my experience was in the opposite direction to start.

I did Goa, Candolim - Sawantwadi- Amboli - Ajra- Nippani- Kolhapur- Satara- Pune - Indore and back. Left on 23rd and back on 28th. Stopped at Pune overnight and Nasik Overnight.

Roads are almost done on the Goa stretch and a few bad patches but reached Sawantwadi in an hour and ten minutes. Till Amboli the roads are pretty good. Then onwards the usual patches of bad roads that can seriously damage your car. Saw an accident in which a Scorpio had overturned after hitting another car. Pretty bad. Don't know the condition of the occupants but looked like he was speeding in the Ajra stretch as the car was atleast 15 meters from the place of impact.

From Nippani the roads are good all the way. Satara major work has been done and very few bad patches which I assume, should be completed soon.

Halted at Pune, Warje and had my Scorpio AC repaired at Auto Shelter who is very reliable and are just near the Shell petrol pump.

Pune to Nashik roads were good. However lots of traffic while exiting towards Nashik along all the small towns. Can't call them villages any longer.

Way back was the same. Left at 6.30 am and reached Goa at 4 pm with a stopover for chai and wada and lunch and Minerva in Ajra.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th March 2022 at 16:30. Reason: Minor typos.
adriansarita is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 21:54   #3604
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I am planning for a trip to Goa in the month of April (Endurance trip, Yeah!!) Would be moving from Pune at around 1AM.

We will be traveling with family (along with Kids). I have no issues with night driving but would love to know the best and safe option to reach Baga Beach from Pune.

Few of the options that I have been suggested are

Pune > Nipani > Amboli > Baga
Pune > Belagavi > Chorla Ghat > Baga

Now since Google map continues showing the shortest way, at times overriding the set path;

Can I please have a few waypoints so that I can save the best path for early morning/night travel across this location so as to reach Baga. (from Nipani [16.41597513615009, 74.3736924395425] onwards till Baga [15.555668015061817, 73.75170860258461])
Old 11th March 2022, 12:14   #3605
BHPian

I see 2 options to travel from Panaji - Mumbai. I intend to take a over night break on the way. Would love to know what is the better option of the 2. Also what is the most scenic route.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220311 at 10.03.34.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  138.4 KB
Old 11th March 2022, 12:59   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
I see 2 options to travel from Panaji - Mumbai. I intend to take a over night break on the way. Would love to know what is the better option of the 2. Also what is the most scenic route.

Attachment 2283527
Route via Belgaum, Satara and Pune, by the highway is surely the quickest and can be done fairly easily within a day but is hardly scenic, especially during these dry months.

If you have time (2-3 days) to make this transit, the coastal route is amazing and begs to be experienced. Drive down to Ratnagiri / Ganpatipule from Panjim, and then take the ferry service from Jaigadh, then again from Dhabol and then again from Vesvi till Harihareshwar. Finally, you can catch the M2M ferry from Mandwa into South Mumbai.

While we have done this route during monsoons when it was just magical, it is still very interesting and enjoyable. Some sections of roads running right alongside the sea are just amazing, see it to believe it..... You can also sample the absolute best of authentic home cuisine from the Konkan.
Downside is that progress is slow and completely subject to ferry timings at each crossing, roads along the coast are often bad / broken all of which serve to slow you down.

Last edited by PGNarain : 11th March 2022 at 13:00.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 11:19   #3607

Had an amazing Thane - Goa trip (North 2 Days+ 1 day south) in our Jeep Compass Limited.
Route taken : Thane->Pune->Satara->Kolhapur->Belgaum(overnight stay)
->Chorla ghats->Amboli -> North Goa (I know this is a longer route than Nipani-Amboli)
Thane to Belgaum 9 hours including 1.5 hours break) and Belgaum to North Goa 5 hours 30 min. Roads were amazing - the flowering trees along Satara ghats and cherry blossoms along Karnataka roads added to the charm.

North Goa to South Goa took 2-3 hours the rope bridges in Panjim along state highway were awesome. Overall Mandrem beach in North Goa was the best beach. Going to Chapora fort/Baga beach is a strict no-no time waster.
South Goa is amazing with white sand beaches, 5 star resorts no crowds.

Started from Mobor beach South Goa at 8:00 am and reached Thane at 8:00 pm - 12 hours flat including 1 hour break. Traffic in Thane-Belapur road in the evening the only sore point and rough roads inside Karanataka wildlife sanctuary were little on the vehicle.
The cashew plantations and greenery between Goa and Belgaum was amazing.
Our Jeep Compass Diesel manual gave amazing mileage of about 15 kmpl overall. Most comfortable ride ever. Didnt even feel any back pain even after riding 12 hours continous. I cannot sit for so long in home sofa/bed/chair for so long without back pain.
May have run into a speeding radar monitors in Lonavla got to watch out for any speeding tickets issued in my name

5 stars to Goa, 5 stars to Jeep compass, 5 stars to highways

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pxl_20220308_034032686.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-gopr3629.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-gopr3693.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2022 at 15:43.
rebelsmashers is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:15   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Took Anmod ghat route for the first time ever when we drove to South Goa (Cavellosim) last Saturday. This was as per the advice provided on this thread. And it’s quite justified.
Thanks a lot for this update. Planning to do Pune > Agonda > Pune via the Anmod ghat route next week. Just wanted to confirm I have the route correct as per google maps:

Pune > Belgaum (NH48 all the way)
Belgaum > Khanapur
Khanapur > Anmod
Anmod > Mollem
Mollem > South Goa

A few other questions if anyone could help

1) How twisty and steep is the Anmod ghat? My wife tends to get a bit car sick on ghat sections so wondering if they are mild or very winding?
2) If the Bhagwan Wildlife Sanctuary Road closes at 6pm what is the latest I can leave Pune to enter in good time? Anyway planning to leave around 6am from Pune but just in case!
3) Will an RT-PCR still be required either for MH<>KA or KA<>GOA? We are both fully vaccinated and have the certificates.

Thank you in advance for all the help.
Old 14th March 2022, 14:41   #3609
Distinguished - BHPian

The route seems correct . When you reach Mollem (where the vaccination reports are checked), make sure you take the correct route, one road heads deep South and the other presumably North (since it shows "Panaji")

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post

1) How twisty and steep is the Anmod ghat? My wife tends to get a bit car sick on ghat sections so wondering if they are mild or very winding?
Not very. Definitely an easier road to navigate than the Chorla ghat. And weirdly enough, the ghat road is concrete-topped.
Quote:
2) If the Bhagwan Wildlife Sanctuary Road closes at 6pm what is the latest I can leave Pune to enter in good time? Anyway planning to leave around 6am from Pune but just in case!
6 am Pune = 11 am Belgaum, so you should make it in plenty of time. I left at around the same time. Was at Mollem by 2 p.m. or so.
Quote:
3) Will an RT-PCR still be required either for MH<>KA or KA<>GOA? We are both fully vaccinated and have the certificates.
RT PCR not needed. Double vax is fine. In my case, my 15 year old was single vaxxed but I explained to them that it's just started so they let me through without issues. No RT-PCR needed for sub-15s.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:28   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Twisty and steep enough to induce motion sickness in anyone who is prone to it. It is advised to take medicine or table (like Avomine) which helps in preventing motion sickness once you are in Khanapur. In addition to this please drive at reduced speed (read very slow) for entre ghat stretch (Around 20 Kms from Anmod check post till Mollem check post) to avoid motion sickness among co-travelers.

Quote:
It is not Bhagwan Wildlife sanctuary road but Bhimgad Wildlife sanctuary road. . Considering your start time from Pune you should easily reach the gate well before 6 PM.

In any way if you get delayed you can take Khanapur - Ramangar - Anmod route. The route is under construction and the work has come to standstill due to legal obligations. But the condition of the road is motorable and there should not be any issue to reach Anmod.

Quote:
Fully vaccinated certificate will suffice the requirement of letting you enter Goa.

Suggested Route,

Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod (Via Hemmadaga) - Mollem - Dharbandora - Sanvordem - Bali - Coastal Route - Agonda Beach

Last edited by Ertigiat : 14th March 2022 at 16:35.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 21:57   #3611
BHPian

Will be traveling to South Goa this weekend. What's the best route after Belgaum? The shortest route is the preferred option, doesn't matter if it's boring or scenic.
Old 18th March 2022, 20:15   #3612
BHPian

When I last travelled on Belgaum - Anmod road, after leaving Belgaum (junction where you turn right for Chorla) road conditions were very bad all the way through Khanapur till beginning of Anmod ghat.

What is the condition now?
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:29   #3613
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you in advance for all the help.

I have taken this route thrice in the last 15 months, Pune to South Goa. According to me the best route. Leaving Pune by 0600 hours is a must. Halting at Belagavi for an early lunch works. You should be in Goa proper by 4pm latest.

The ghat is reasonably winding and the only way to combat the sickness is skipping a meal. Possibly have a very light lunch before you hit the ghat. My cousin suffers from motion sickness and travelling on an empty to a very light tummy worked like a charm for him.

I am travelling to Goa again, first week of June. Will take the same route via Anmod.

At the Kognoli border no checking is happening even for vax certificates. Mollem check post may ask for a cursory glance.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th March 2022 at 13:41. Reason: quote content trimmed
Aloneatma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:27   #3614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
When I last travelled on Belgaum - Anmod road, after leaving Belgaum (junction where you turn right for Chorla) road conditions were very bad all the way through Khanapur till beginning of Anmod ghat.
I had the same experience last Feb. Any pointers on the latest road conditions are helpful. Thanks in advance
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:42   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Will be traveling to South Goa this weekend. What's the best route after Belgaum? The shortest route is the preferred option, doesn't matter if it's boring or scenic.
Where exactly in South Goa?

Depending on place there are two routes once you descend Anmod ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

It really must have been a long time. There is a smooth 6 lane tarmac between Belgaum and Khanapur now. Barring 6 to 8 kms of bad (almost non-existent) road inside the wildlife sanctuary most of the road is in good condition till Anmod (and thereafter all the way till Goa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
I had the same experience last Feb. Any pointers on the latest road conditions are helpful. Thanks in advance
I am taking liberty to assume you are talking about road inside the wildlife sanctuary and not Belgaum - Khanapur route. Leaving aside couple of sections, the road between Belgaum and Khanapur was ready last year.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks