Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 09:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai to Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDreamz View Post
Route 3: Mumbai -> Hiriyur -> Huliyar -> Neligere -> Nagamangala -> Pandavpura -> Srinrangapatna -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Virajpet -> Kabinakkad Junction.
Expect some rough sectors & plenty of road humps.

Quote:
2. how much distance ideally we should cover on Day 1? We plan to cover 800 kms. Is it possible?
You can comfortably reach Chitradurga & stay in Hotel Naveen in the bypass itself.

Quote:
3. where should we take our night halt (to and fro) enroute? Please suggest a decent accommodation with clean bathrooms.
In case you are unable to reach Chitradurga, then consider Davangere (Hotel Pooja & Hotel Sai)

Quote:
4. some good restaurants/dhaba with clean loos on the way. Plan to take short halts every 3 hours.
Maharashtra is full of them, but once you enter Karnataka, all the dhabas disappear.

Quote:
5. if each of these routes have good petrol pumps at regular distance? Any particular patch where they are infrequent?
Plenty of petrol pumps in Maharashtra. Avoid refilling in MH since diesel is cheaper in KA. After entering KA, you will see petrol pumps between Kolhapur & Belgaum. Always have quarter tank. There are pumps at leats once every 50 kms.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 22:46   #62

Firstly, many thanks Ampere and Hvkumar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The second option would have been ideal. (Route 2: Mumbai -> Ranebennur - Shimoga -> Arsekere -> Channarayapatna -> Holenarasipur -> Arkalgud -> Shanivarsanthe -> Somwarpet -> Madikeri -> Napoklu -> Kabinakkad Junction.)

But I would suggest you stick the third one. Reason: Its the best in road conditions. There are more breaking options available. That would required as you have an infant on board.)
We would stick to Route 3. I believe it is a laned highway throughout till chitradurga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start by 4AM from Mumbai, I think you should be able to make it to Hubli by late evening. Thats about 600km.
With an intention of driving till before sun set, I think we can cover 12 driving hours. What do you guys feel? However, with an expected average speed of 70 kmph (don’t think we would exceed 100 kmph at any instance) we were thinking of reaching Chitradurga. However, since Ampere mentioned about halting at Hubli, I am wondering if my calculation of reaching Chitradurga is an over estimation! Hope it is doable given the rainy conditions. @ Ampere and Hvkumar, please share what are your calculations for reaching Hubli / Chitradurga respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Expect some rough sectors & plenty of road humps.
Can you please list the rough sectors?

Quote:
You can comfortably reach Chitradurga & stay in Hotel Naveen in the bypass itself.

In case you are unable to reach Chitradurga, then consider Davangere (Hotel Pooja & Hotel Sai)
Also since we would be travelling on 15th August, which will be an extended weekend, would you suggest booking the hotel in advance? Especially considering the fact that we would have an infant on board.

If possible please suggest few more options to stay at Chitradurga, Davangere and Hubli-Dharwad just as a back up because it’s an extended weekend.
Old 1st August 2014, 07:51   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With an intention of driving till before sun set, I think we can cover 12 driving hours. What do you guys feel? However, with an expected average speed of 70 kmph (don’t think we would exceed 100 kmph at any instance) we were thinking of reaching Chitradurga. However, since Ampere mentioned about halting at Hubli, I am wondering if my calculation of reaching Chitradurga is an over estimation! Hope it is doable given the rainy conditions. @ Ampere and Hvkumar, please share what are your calculations for reaching Hubli / Chitradurga respectively.
Just a rough estimate:
4AM Start : 3 Hours to Pune : 7AM (200km, expressway)
4-5 Hours to Kolhapur : 12PM : (200+ crowded sector, Pain at crossing Satara)
2 Hours to Belgaum : 2PM (120 km 4lane)
2 Hours : Beyond Dharwad/Hubli Bypass : 4PM (100km with 50 of 2-lane bypass for Hubli/Dharwad)
3/4 hours : Chitradurga (4-lane) : 8PM

We are talking way beyond 12 hours.

Yes, I am being conservative. Others tend to do it much faster. But with infant on board, I would say break at Hubli. You get a choice of better hotels too. Pick of the lot is Clarks Inn. Access to highway is also easy. Naveen at Chitradurga though is on the highway. Its at best decent.

Quote:
Sectors are not that rough, but at small villages, you will find humps. Hence once you exit from the 4-lane, your speed comes down to 60-80. But you will tend to enjoy these sectors, thanks to local scenarios.

Quote:
If possible please suggest few more options to stay at Chitradurga, Davangere and Hubli-Dharwad just as a back up because it’s an extended weekend.
I would still vote for Hubli as the best possible break. Do make sure, you start early the second day. At least by 8AM. (You do want a good break fast before you start!)

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2014 at 07:56.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 09:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, many thanks Ampere and Hvkumar.

We would stick to Route 3. I believe it is a laned highway throughout till chitradurga.
You mean 4-laned highway? Yes, it is 4-laned except for a small 31 km stretch of Hubli-Dharwad bypass.

Quote:
Even the trucks cruise at 80 kmph+ and you have to keep above those speeds unless you enjoy being swiped by them from time to time. With an early morning start, either Davangere or Chitradurga is an easy target notwithstanding rains.

Quote:
Once you turn off NH4 at Hiriyur, the route till Srirangapatna is narrow, has lots of rumbler strips & has some rough sections in between.

Quote:
Also since we would be travelling on 15th August, which will be an extended weekend, would you suggest booking the hotel in advance? Especially considering the fact that we would have an infant on board.

Plenty of hotel choices in Hubli, Davangere & Chitradurga. Aug 15 will make no difference since these are not tourist destinations. When you yourself are unsure of the destination you will reach that day, where comes the question of doing any advance bookings??
Old 12th August 2014, 00:28   #65

Quote:
Plenty of petrol pumps in Maharashtra. Avoid refilling in MH since diesel is cheaper in KA. After entering KA, you will see petrol pumps between Kolhapur & Belgaum. Always have quarter tank. There are pumps at leats once every 50 kms.
I was thinking of changing my car's tyres with Nitrogen. Is it advisable? Does the mumbai-coorg route that I am planning to take, has Nitrogen filling stations? Please advise.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of changing my car's tyres with Nitrogen. Is it advisable? Does the mumbai-coorg route that I am planning to take, has Nitrogen filling stations? Please advise.
1. I thought the purpose of filling NItrgen is so that you do not have to check or refill for upto 1 month - so why are yu looking for Nitrogen filling stations during a short trip?

2. There are no Nitrogen filling stations unless you choose to go into any of the cities

3. As a safe driving precaution, never refill air during a drive - since the tyres are always hot - and the highway puncture shop pumps mostly have wrong calibration, leading to erroneous pressure and possibility f dangerous outcomes
Old 15th August 2014, 20:21   #67

Just to update... We started to 430 am and reached davangere at 545 pm. How is the route davangere-pattanagere-hassan-madikere ? Or should i take the either one ampere had suggested?
Old 15th August 2014, 21:22   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just to update... We started to 430 am and reached davangere at 545 pm. How is the route davangere-pattanagere-hassan-madikere ? Or should i take the either one ampere had suggested?
Dont do the Hassan route. You should do :

Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere (You meet Nh48 4-lane here) - Channarayapatan - Holenarasipur - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:18   #69

It was an amazing experience last week when we drove down from Mumbai to Coorg. The driving directions, road conditions and pitstops suggested by Ampere and hvkumar were spot on.

Tommorrow early morning @4.30 AM we will commence our drive back to mumbai from coorg. We will be taking the same route we took last week.

So guys I am here to seek your advice for the night halt tommorrow. Going by the experience of drive last week, we feel we can reach belgaum or kolhapur by the dusk. If not, we will halt at hubli. Please suggest good hotels in belgaum or kolhapur.

Any other advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
DrivingDreamz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:29   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest good hotels in belgaum or kolhapur.
1.SANKAM Residency at Belgaum (Much preferred)
2.SAI International 30 kms after Kolhapur (Decent reviews by 2 of my friends who stayed)
3.Mahendra Executive at Satara (Might be the last resort based in your progress and a good place to stay too)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:31   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any other advice will be highly appreciated.
Hubli : Clarks Inn (Location : Gokul Road)
Belgaum : Sankam (Location next to Bagalkot road exit)
Kolhapur : Opal, Rayson's Regency

My take : Choose Sankam if you can make it. Nice place to stay at a reasonable tariff. For Hubli and Kolhapur, you need to get into the town. But Sankam is right next on the highway. Just one exit and you are there.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2014 at 17:33.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:42   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I too would opt for Sankam and if not this, I will drive all the way to Satara. Makes so much sense if I have time and energy at my disposal.

If its Sankam, just follow these directions and forget listening to the lady on the GPS:
Quote:
Ideally, don't take any of the exits marked for Belgaum city as you are nearing Belgaum.

You will begin to notice the SANKAM Neon sign on the left and at one point you will actually cross that while you are on the elevated section.

Soon after this the bridge descends and on the left you will see a shop with Belgaum "Kunda" written on it.

Soon after this shop, there will be a flashing Orange lamp post on the left indicating/cautioning merging traffic from Service lane.

Take a Left Handed U-Turn here and drive back for around 150-200 meters and take a right.

You will first spot an IOCL Fuel station on the right and Sankam next to it.

Drive ahead to take a U-Turn and enter Sankam.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd August 2014 at 17:44.
Old 7th April 2015, 15:02   #73
BHPian

Hi Friends

Need help!

We (family) had planned to travel to Coorg via Bangalore (2 adults & 2 kids). The idea was to book a car (zoom cars) and drive down to Coorg - Serene Woods from 5,6,7th May 2015 and leave for Nagarhole on 8th morning.

Now my plans have gone for a toss. The flights booking has gone from about INR 15k (to and fro-Mumbai to Bangalore) to INR 60k overnight. So am now grappling with a situation of how I plan my travel, stay and transit.

I have mentally prepared to take my car (Honda City Zxi - 2006) with CNG all the way and back, so had a few queries. Would be great if I can get more details on the same.

1) Read about the roads, have driven to Mangalore and Bangalore to Mumbai twice when I had a Xeta GLS 2007 & 2012, but times have changed - dont know how much the roads have?
2) I have a 3 year old and so am planning to start at 5/5.30 am on 3rd drive upto Kolhapur/Hubli - stay and then head out to Coorg next morning. Is it advisable for one driver (myself) to take the brunt of the road and any city that I have to be careful about
3) Coorg - Serene Woods for 3 days is done but not Heritage Homes, Nagarhole, are there any good locations to go to knowing that I will be driving almost every day. Heritage Homes is about 2000 per person / night, Kabini or Bandipur is about 7000/- per person / night - am wanting to do a budget travel
4) What are the sightseeing options in Coorg (3 nights) and Nagarhole (planning for 1 night) in both these places. As it feels that I will be driving for 4 days and staying in the above places for 4 nights and doing a sizeable amount of driving too. What options or suggestions do the experts feel on the above will be extremely helpful.

I am keen to drive, wife is a bit concerned since I will be driving alone etc. etc. But now that my flight options have gone out the window I think it (road trip) was meant to be!

Look forward to hearing from you guys soon

Thanks
S
Old 7th April 2015, 16:21   #74
BHPian

I am starting my drive tomorrow evening from Pune to Madikeri. I will be taking my Punto.

As of now, this is what i have in a mind:
  1. Pune-Kolhapur : start from pune around 5 pm and reach Kolhapur atleast by 9 pm take a hault in Kolhapur
  2. Day 2 - Start early morning from Kolhapur and reach Gokarna, Take a hault at Gokarna
  3. Day 3- Start from Gokarna and reach madikeri Via Mangaluru, Stay at Madikeri for atleast 2 days
  4. Day 5 - Start back for Pune (Same route)

Dont want to rush in any stretch, as I plan to catch up with few friends at Gokarna and Mangaluru. What I have heard from a friend of mine, is that the roads till Udupi are really nice. Where as we all know current conditions of roads till Kolhapur.

Also, If you dont mind then can you please share the per day charge for Serene woods? That property looks really fab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi Friends

Need help!

We (family) had planned to travel to Coorg via Bangalore (2 adults & 2 kids). The idea was to book a car (zoom cars) and drive down to Coorg - Serene Woods from 5,6,7th May 2015 and leave for Nagarhole on 8th morning.

Now my plans have gone for a toss. The flights booking has gone from about INR 15k (to and fro-Mumbai to Bangalore) to INR 60k overnight. So am now grappling with a situation of how I plan my travel, stay and transit.

I have mentally prepared to take my car (Honda City Zxi - 2006) with CNG all the way and back, so had a few queries. Would be great if I can get more details on the same.

1) Read about the roads, have driven to Mangalore and Bangalore to Mumbai twice when I had a Xeta GLS 2007 & 2012, but times have changed - dont know how much the roads have?
2) I have a 3 year old and so am planning to start at 5/5.30 am on 3rd drive upto Kolhapur/Hubli - stay and then head out to Coorg next morning. Is it advisable for one driver (myself) to take the brunt of the road and any city that I have to be careful about
3) Coorg - Serene Woods for 3 days is done but not Heritage Homes, Nagarhole, are there any good locations to go to knowing that I will be driving almost every day. Heritage Homes is about 2000 per person / night, Kabini or Bandipur is about 7000/- per person / night - am wanting to do a budget travel
4) What are the sightseeing options in Coorg (3 nights) and Nagarhole (planning for 1 night) in both these places. As it feels that I will be driving for 4 days and staying in the above places for 4 nights and doing a sizeable amount of driving too. What options or suggestions do the experts feel on the above will be extremely helpful.

I am keen to drive, wife is a bit concerned since I will be driving alone etc. etc. But now that my flight options have gone out the window I think it (road trip) was meant to be!

Look forward to hearing from you guys soon

Thanks
S

Last edited by me@fiat : 7th April 2015 at 16:31.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:25   #75
BHPian

me@fiat

Have a great and safe drive. I am hoping you are driving a fiat (punto, linea, what have you?). Are you driving alone etc.

Do post your feedback on the trip so that we get to learn a few things from it!

Cheers
S
saildrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks