Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 12:46   #1
vnm

2 week Coorg and Chkmagalur Plan

Guys

Planning a 2 week trip from Chennai to cover the best of Coorg and Chkmagalur areas sometime around end-april. Looking at a mix of wildlife reserves, hill stations and temples.

Plan to travel by road...self-drive an Innova. Will be traveling with family - wife and 2 kids (Aged 5 and 10).

Here is the first cut plan :

Day 1 - Bangalore - Hassan
Day 2 - Hassan - Belur - Helebid - Bhadra
Day 3 to Day 5 - Bhadra, Kemmangundi area
Day 6 - Kemmangundi - Shingeri - Kudremukh
Day 7 - Kudremukh
Day 8 - Kudremukh - Dharmasthala - Subramanya - Madikeri
Day 9 to Day 11 - Madikeri Area (Dubara, Bylekuppe, Tala Cauvery etc)
Day 12 - Madikeri - Nagarahole
Day 13 - Nagarahole - Bangalore
Day 14 - Bangalore - Chennai

Wanted to get some feedback on the routing, road conditions and suggested places to stay from folks who have done these sectors before.

Look forward to suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Mahesh
Old 16th February 2009, 04:27   #2
BHPian

Good roads everywhere except around Shringeri where they are really bad.When at Bhadra, River tern Lodge is located excellently but is a little pricey & full on weekends, but you can stay at Kuvempu University guest house about 12 km away Rs.150/- per person, 4 bedded rooms with split A/c.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:24   #3
BHPian

Hi VNM, welcome to tbhp. Coorg and Chikmaglur are two places frequented very often by tourists. Am sure you will get lots of help on the same. I have sent you a pm regarding the same.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm View Post
Guys

Planning a 2 week trip from Chennai to cover the best of Coorg and Chkmagalur areas sometime around end-april.
Day 1 - Bangalore - Hassan
Day 2 - Hassan - Belur - Helebid - Bhadra
Day 3 to Day 5 - Bhadra, Kemmangundi area
Day 6 - Kemmangundi - Shingeri - Kudremukh
Day 7 - Kudremukh
Day 8 - Kudremukh - Dharmasthala - Subramanya - Madikeri
Day 9 to Day 11 - Madikeri Area (Dubara, Bylekuppe, Tala Cauvery etc)
Day 12 - Madikeri - Nagarahole
Day 13 - Nagarahole - Bangalore
Day 14 - Bangalore - Chennai

Wanted to get some feedback on the routing, road conditions and suggested places to stay from folks who have done these sectors before.

Look forward to suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Mahesh
Nicely planned trip there. 14 days is more than sufficient to enjoy this trip
Some route, hotel advice
Day1 - BLR-HASSAN 184kms Hotel Sri Krishna - Take the SUITE - 1700Rs Including taxes else Hotel Hassan Ashok - 3000Rs/day
Day 2 - Leave early as you'll be covering a lot of places n distance here.
Take -Hassan (ring road ) - ISRO(MCF)- Halebeedu - Belur-Chikmagalur - Tarikere- Bhadra reservouir (LAKKAVALLY)- You can stay at River tern jungle resorts - try to be there for the sunset. 2200 Rs/person/day ( I know it's a bit expensive for a family) but this includes food+ safari etc. Nice place to stay. As mentioned by devoo if you get guest house at Kuvempu university it's steal of a price. Try getting an accomodation there as you'll be staying for 2 days.
Day 3. Rightly planned. - After kemmanugundi get back to Bhadra - Lakkavally.
Day -4 You can travel to Jog falls( Not much water here), Honnemardu backwaters. Route- Lakkavally - Shimoga - Sagara -Jog falls - Honnemardu. Overnight you can stay at Shimoga. Hotel Jewel rock - 600 - 900rs/day.
Day 6 - Kudremukha - Places to visit- Kalsa , Horanadu. If possible stay at silent valley resorts at Kalsa.
Day 8 - Kudremukh - Bajagoli(karkala - but don't enter karkala) - Naravi -Guruvayankere-Ujire-Dharmasthala-Gundya -Kukke Subramanya-Sullia-Madikeri. You can stay at any homestays or try at Hotel corrg international.
Also while at Nagarhole try staying at some jungle resorts
Hope this helps
Old 17th February 2009, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

For your chikmagalur and kemmungundi leg you can take a peek at my travelogue here (Travelogue : Chikmagalur and Kemmungundi was my destination this time ...).

Happy tripping and drive safe.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:54   #6
BHPian

Hey guys, seems there are not many updates here, I am planning to visit COORG and CMG on May 1-May 5th with wifey and some more friends joining along.

Need some updates on stay options, routes, driving conditions and places to see.

thanks alot.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Hey guys, seems there are not many updates here, I am planning to visit COORG and CMG on May 1-May 5th with wifey and some more friends joining along.

Need some updates on stay options, routes, driving conditions and places to see.

thanks alot.
Hi Srikanth,cant help much with chikmagalur but can help with coorg details.lots of stay options.homestays,estate plantations,hotels etc.best route is via kushalnagar-chethalli-madikeri or you could also take hunsur-nagarhole-virajpet-madikeri.lots of places to see.get in touch for any help you need in coorg.
Old 17th April 2010, 21:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Srikanth,

Choose whether you want to stay in North Coorg (Madekeri) or South Coorg (Virajpet, Nagarhole etc). South Coorg there are many home stays and a few good hotels.

North Coorg you will find many in Madekeri. Google search would yield many. It all depends whether you want to stay in the town or a quiet home stay.

About CKM as I mentioned earlier you will many home stays and few hotels. There are two and they are 5 star ones (Taj and Serai). Serai is new. But Taj has been there for quite some time. Very good but also costly.
Old 17th April 2010, 23:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this will help, but thought of adding my 2 cents as I'm barely back from Coorg; Road from Kushalnagar to Madikeri via Chetalli is not good & there's a road work in progress & hence there's diversion via Chetalli. Very narrow roads through which trucks & busses ply where an Innova could barely travel. I didn't find any issues though. From my experience, enquire thoroughly on homestays unless you want a silent area. Some of the food from homestays could be good, but I'd a worst one from Chillipilli.

Weather is not that good but far better than Chennai. Keep aside about 80+ Kms drive from Madikeri for Talacauvery; when you visit Dubare falls, keep in mind about the Tibetian Monastery (I loved the place), on the way there's a dam (forgot the name & didn't visit) & Nisargadama. Now drive back to Madikeri & visit Raja's seat, Fort & Omkareswara Temple.

Check out this link for more information.

Last edited by aargee : 17th April 2010 at 23:05.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Weather is not that good but far better than Chennai. Keep aside about 80+ Kms drive from Madikeri for Talacauvery; when you visit Dubare falls, keep in mind about the Tibetian Monastery (I loved the place), on the way there's a dam (forgot the name & didn't visit) & Nisargadama. Now drive back to Madikeri & visit Raja's seat, Fort & Omkareswara Temple.
I think you were referring to Harangi dam. When you go through Hunsur road and plan to be at Madekeri, Kushalnagar is on the way. You can visit the place before you reach you hotel/resort. But if you chose to stay in South Coorg in a home stay, then you will need to cover it separately.

You should definitely do Coorg first and then proceed to CKM.
Old 18th April 2010, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you're right about Harangi dam. Here's a glimpse I can provide you from Raja's seat Madikeri; plan well, cover maximum places & most importantly, enjoy yourself
Attached Thumbnails
2 week Coorg and Chkmagalur Plan-c2.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 16:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey VNM, not sure how much of this could be helpful, but I would've been fortunate if I'd seen this website earlier; anyway check this link on site seeing in Coorg
Old 19th April 2010, 11:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

In South Coorg, there are a few homestays around Irpu area. The best one probably is High Falls Holiday Home. I really like Irpu, and I have been visiting this place every year since 2007. There is also a trekking place (Brahmagiri), apart from Rameshwara temple and Irpu falls. Nagarahole is closeby, so is Tata's Glen-Lorna tea estate.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:05   #14
BHPian

Thanks alot to all of you Guys. Zahed can I have your number please?

OK here we go -
now i got response in another thread about the routes -

Chennai-Hosur-Bangalore-take left at NICE Road-Mysore road-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Chetalli-Madikeri

Madikeri to Chikmagalur

Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Mallipatna-Arkalgud-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur

Chikmagalur to Bangalore-Chennai

Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi-NICE Road-Hosur road-Hosur-Chennai

---
Planning to follow this, any updates on conditions which are bad? is there a need to change?

Yes I am looking forward for a quite place, since you all say, i want to keep it to South Coorg. Now need to finalize on homestay soon.

Also the plan is I drive all day on 1st and reach Coorg by 3PM or 4PM max if there are no delays. take rest for the day.

Next day i.e. 2nd visit places, come back and stay at homestay.

3rd morning - checkout - visit any places nearby and then start to CMG and reach by evening. Stay at CMG.

4th CMG - rest and any places to see.

5th - Drive back to Chennai.
---

Any suggestions on changes? Any climate updates please?

i have googled and found these home stay options as good-
Bel Home
Jade Hills - Coorg
Gowri Nivas - A Coorg home which has been opened to those looking for a vacation in a luxury resort within an affordable budget Homestay in Coorg homestay coorg, coorg holidays, coorg coffee estate
Map for Hillyside Homstay in Coorg, Kodagu

however just saw the one rohan told above. that even better
Map for Hillyside Homstay in Coorg, Kodagu

Any idea on phone numbers, whom to contact?

thank you!
Old 19th April 2010, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sri, I was actually talking about this:
Coorg Homestays

Poonacha couple runs this place. Their number is 08274-246027. I had their cellphone number too, but I am not able to find their visiting card. I'll search for it at home today.

They have a cook who is simply awesome in what he does. I haven't been to this place in recent times though, as I find it a bit expensive compared to another place (I am a bachelor you see, so quality isn't of utmost priority).

About this other place: this is called Irpu Homestay. It is run by Timmaiahs. Their contact numbers are: 94803 08611 or 08274-201324. They just have 2 small rooms (both with attached bathrooms). For a group of more than 6, you might find this a bit cramped.

Most Viewed