Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 00:21   #1
BHPian

Delhi to mumbai in 1 day Possible ?

Hi All,

I believe this travel querry has been raised and discussed several times before on this forum but here iam, with my own request to the PROs to help me !

Its my brother's birthday and i wish to drive in a day to Mumbai . My best 2 options from the stable are my Baleno 2005 or Accord 2006 (Average is'nt an issue so i can pick either). Now the question is, if i start 4.00 am in the morning from Delhi, can i reach same day to Mumbai ? I've done Delhi-Jaipur several times in 3.5 hours so are the roads the same all the way ahead ?

Please do let me know the best of your opinion and i thank you all for your help !
Old 16th February 2009, 00:41   #2
BHPian

delhi2009 i m no pro mate but can say driving more than 1000kms in a day doesnt seem to be a very sensible option. HW majorly is very nice but then you dont want to over-exert yourself and put your life in danger.
if you really want to drive down to mumbai, i would suggest take some rest in the evening and leave around mid-night. fill your car with handy food items and red bull (read some member stayed up drinking red bull). take it a little easy on yourself mate. and then you dont want to be complete drained and out of energy when you reach mumbai and sleep rather than enjoying your brother's birthday.

for your further reference
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...diections.html

Last edited by white_vdi : 16th February 2009 at 00:45.
Old 16th February 2009, 00:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

It is very much doable and why bother mentioning about Baleno when you have the option of taking the Accord. If mileage is not a problem it is a no-brainer that everybody is going to suggest to take the Accord. It is faster, safer, more comfortable and more stable than the Baleno.
Old 16th February 2009, 08:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very very doable. Suggest you search the forums, or pm hvkumar or hrag
Old 16th February 2009, 09:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, of course. I do Bombay-Delhi in 17-19 hours. But you must have an early morning start by 3 am. But when you are doing Delhi-Bombay, expect delays by 1-2 hours thanks to the traffic jams and slow speeds between Baroda and Surat. Going from Bombay to Delhi, the early start will help you overcome the same traffic jams early in the morning.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check out these log books of my recent trips on the Bombay-Delhi-Bombay route.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Uttaranchal, North India, Oct 2006

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North India, Dec 2007
Old 16th February 2009, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Starting midnight from Delhi would really help u in making up lot of time.

Last weekend did Gurgaon - Jaipur in under 3hours.

Last edited by kpzen : 16th February 2009 at 10:24.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

since when u started speaking Kannada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Starting midnight from Delhi would really help u in making up lot of time.

Last weekend did Gurgaon - Jaipur in under 3hours.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:52   #9
drustogi

I have done Mumbai- Delhi and Back twice once in 2007 and another in 2008.. roads are good. I always took a night halt because i was travelling with 2 small kids. But if u are ok to drive thru the night, then it is doable. Total distance will be abt 1400 KM and it took me about 20 hours of drive time.

Old 16th February 2009, 11:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Baroda to Surat - alternate route option

You can keep in mind the alternate route to avoid the traffic jams on NH8 between Baroda and Surat, as described here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1170351-post8.html. Read the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1170351 for a lot of info on this section.

Can do DEL-BOM in a day, if you can be at the wheel for 18-20 hours. If you haven't tried it before, have a co-driver who can spell you at the wheel as necessary.

Good luck on your drive.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:58   #11
BHPian

IMO: do it if there are multiple drivers taking turns else you will look like a zombie in your brother's birthday party..

do we have another btirthankar in the making here..
Old 16th February 2009, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies, I will be going along with my driver so yes, we'll be taking turns driving. The reason i was thinking of taking baleno was that somehow i felt the ground clearance of Accord is lower with my baleno having Bigger tyres than the factory ones, so it would'nt be a problem on bumpy roads for i have no idea how the highways are going to be like after NH8 . So again, would it be really safe to take accord on such bumpy roads with low ground clearance ?
Old 16th February 2009, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Thank you all for your replies, I will be going along with my driver so yes, we'll be taking turns driving. The reason i was thinking of taking baleno was that somehow i felt the ground clearance of Accord is lower with my baleno having Bigger tyres than the factory ones, so it would'nt be a problem on bumpy roads for i have no idea how the highways are going to be like after NH8 . So again, would it be really safe to take accord on such bumpy roads with low ground clearance ?
I don't know the exact Ground clearance of Accord but IMO both cars have low GC. There shouldn't be much difference.

What size tires u have in Baleno?

My suggestion : Take the accord, I don't think the roads are bad anywhere.

Drive safe.
Old 16th February 2009, 13:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Take the Accord, I drove a friends Accord AT last week for about 50 kms on the A'bad Ring Road just to test it, great car. Almost all noises are blocked out in the Accord, much superior to the Baleno here, I think. \

You need to slow down and be careful when you see humps, on the section Chittaurgarh where the road work is going on, from Baroda to Surat where the switch backs can be dicey. All other sections are a breeze for the Accord;

Yes, you can can do Delhi-Mumbai with 2 drivers without any problem. I have a friend, Vikas in Delhi, M:09971915734 who did this stretch on a bike in 24 hours. Ideal to start around midnight from Delhi and you can do it on an Accord under 20 hours.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th February 2009 at 13:15.
Old 16th February 2009, 13:22   #15
BHPian

Guys, if I am driving Delhi-Pune instead of Delhi-Mumbai, do I still have to go via Mumbai? I thought there was a bypass to Pune from near Dahanu. Can anyone provide details of best route for Delhi-Pune. Thanks.

Most Viewed