Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 17:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Bikaner : Route Queries

Ok, here's the gist: I am planning a 3-day trip to Bikaner from Delhi.

Question 1, which route?

Option 1
451 kms (60 kms NH-8, 210 kms SH, 174 kms NH-11)
Delhi - Gurgaon - Rewari - Narnaul - Khetri - Charawa - Jhunjhunu - Fatehpur - Shri Dungargarh - Bikaner

Option 2
550 kms (200 kms NH-8, 165 kms SH, 174 kms NH-11)
Delhi - Behror - Kotputli - Chandwaji - Sikar - Fatehpur - Shri Dungargarh - Bikaner

I am considering route option 2 only because I have done Delhi-Pilani (near Charawa) before and we hardly maintained decent average speeds. Despite being 100 kms extra, NH-8 is a divided road and hence it could offset the extra distance by a better average speed.

Any idea about NH-11 and its condition from Fatehpur to Bikaner?

Question 2: Which places to see?

I plan to see the Forts, Palaces, Devi Kund and Karni Mata in the daytime and some of the temples in the evening if possible. I may not go to Gajner as its farther off on Jaisalmer Road and not such a great wildlife reserve (unless somebody who's been there recommends it!). Plus I am going alone so will have to wait for others to go on a Jeep Safari .

Question 3: Accomodation?

Any ideas about decent accomodation (with safe car parking) at cheapo rates? This is the Income Tax deduction month at work.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

One Correction, Option 2 should have only 30 kms SH. The rest of the 165 of SH is acutally NH-11.

Just to add, people from my office regularly Delhi-Lachhmangarh (just 20 kms short of Fatehpur) in 5.5-6 hours. I am sure it will take that much time from Delhi-Fathepur via Narnaul-Charawa, maybe even more.

This is why I am considering option 2, despite the extra 200 bucks of diesel each way .
Old 17th February 2009, 18:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Question 3: Accomodation?

Any ideas about decent accomodation (with safe car parking) at cheapo rates? This is the Income Tax deduction month at work.
i had stopped over in bikaner enroute to delhi (was proceeding to delhi from jaisalmer) ,stayed at this place called hotel bharat niwas-sadul road (it was next to some movie theatre)

the rates were fine ,payed inr 700 for the night spend there ,good car park space ,infact the fellow washed my car complimentary(its was looking as if it was out from some harrappa/mohenjodaro ki khudai se before the wash)

the route i took to delhi was via jaipur (i guess thats the option 2 in your list or is it not) though it was long but smooth sailing (averaging around 100-120)

had started bikaner at 8am in the morning and was in delhi around 6pm (with all the required stopages)distance travelled was 600km odd

hope you spot the white rat in the karni devi temple ( i coudnt)

Last edited by Rajesh Rawal : 17th February 2009 at 18:23.
Old 17th February 2009, 23:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

laale di jaan, why worry when me is here.

Bikaner/ Jaiselmer Travelogues, Jodhpur/ Chittorgarh Travelogues,Udaipur/Jaipur Travelogues, Travel Stories / Experiences, Rajasthan, India: Oktatabyebye.com is the route of 2 it seems.

Gajner is a nice place to see, lovely environs, good tp/snack item, and nice view. there's good animals u can view there. the safari costed 1600 bucks for coupla hours an year back so sorry hi rahega on doing it.

safest and best and tastiest place is sharma (?) hotel next to sharma travels - who run delhi bikaner/jodhpur buses.

big aangan for parking - 24x7 junta for safety. 450 bucks starting for a nice AC room. amazing food. aur kya mangta hai. there's hajaar ghevar and pyaz kachori which u can have in main market nearby.

this is bang on the main highway just post the railway station/flyover near the only cinema i saw there

PS: 21km ahead of deshnok, there's mukam where you get okayish dunes. what else can one get in bikaner

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th February 2009 at 23:42.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank You RajeshRawal and phamilyman for your responses.

As of now, my trip stands cancelled due to unforseen circumstances. The thread can remain for future queries, if it's not a problem with moderators.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi,

I you want to go via Chirawa, you have another route option. Go from Delhi to Jhajjar - Charkhi Dadri - Pilani and from Pilani to Chirawa. After that route will be same as your third option, ie, Jhunjhunu - Fatehpur - Bikaner. I have done the Jhunjhunu - Fatehpur - Bikaner road many times, it is fantastic and you will have a good time on that.
Try this:

Delhi - Bhiwani - Taranagar - Sardarsahar - Sri Dungargarh - Bikaner
Distance : 432 Kms (Approx.)
Directions can be obtained from Google Maps

Alternatively,

Route suggested @Akadian via Jhajjar - Charkhi Dadri - Pilani - Chirawa - Jhunjhunu - Sri Dungargarh - Bikaner is also a very viable route.

You can explore more at maps.google.com through their tool for 'Get Directions'.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:47   #7
BHPian

Temporarily reviving this thread for future users' benefit.

There are two routes that can be taken.
One is via West Delhi-Bahadurgarh-Jhajjar, Charkhi Dadri-Loharu-Jhunjhunu-Fatehpur-Ratangarh-Bikaner.
Second is via Southwest Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur Highway (NH-8)-Chomu-Sikar-Fatehpur-Ratangarh-Bikaner.

The routes are these:
Delhi - Bikaner : Route Queries-delhi-jaipur-bikaner-route.jpg

The traffic is plenty till Jaipur and Sikar (if taking the NH-8 route). Just before Sikar, do not forget to turn left at the Sikar bypass. From here, the traffic dramatically reduces and it's you and the road. After turning on NH-11, there're almost nil places to eat except tea, cool drinks and occasional pyaj kachori. The road from Fatehpur to Bikaner can be very exhilerating if you time it to be there at sunset. The road just swallows the Sun.

In the Loharu route, the road at places was under repair near Charkhi Dadri and in bad condition as of mid-2008. Otherwise, distance is much lesser. On this route, in Loharu, there're some dhabas serving average food.

Choice of road would depend also on where you're starting from in Delhi.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 24th February 2010 at 12:51.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

That was useful. So for gurgaon people - best to drive out via jhajjar (assuming its fine now?!) or shortest to take the rewari narnaul route!!
Old 24th February 2010, 14:11   #9
BHPian

There can be a slight alteration on the NH8 route advised here. Instead of traveling all the way to Chandwaji and traveling back to Sikar, One could also join a state highway from Kotputli to Sikar. The state of road is deplorable but it save good 80-100 odd kms.

Anyways, post Kotputli NH8 is crowded and less said about Jaipur - Sikar, the better.

Distance between Delhi - Sikar:
Via Kotputli, Neem Ka Thana : 249 kms.
Via Chandwaji, Chomu : 324 kms. (+ 2 toll booths. )

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 24th February 2010 at 14:20.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Gajner Palace is an excellent place to stay no doubt, provided you get good deals there, otherwise during the tourist season be ready to shell out 5k+ per night for Gajner palace.

Regards
Old 24th February 2010, 18:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That was useful. So for gurgaon people - best to drive out via jhajjar (assuming its fine now?!) or shortest to take the rewari narnaul route!!
I've not driven on the rewari-narnaul route so can't say and someone needs to confirm the repair state of jhajjar-loharu route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
One could also join a state highway from Kotputli to Sikar. The state of road is deplorable but it save good 80-100 odd kms.

Anyways, post Kotputli NH8 is crowded and less said about Jaipur - Sikar, the better.

Distance between Delhi - Sikar:
Via Kotputli, Neem Ka Thana : 249 kms.
Via Chandwaji, Chomu : 324 kms. (+ 2 toll booths. )
True. At time of my many delhi-bikaner trips, everyone avoided the kotputli sikar state road due to its condition. Don't really know since I never tried. Is it the same as the Chomu-Chandwaji road? Could be a good option even if it is reasonable in patches. Must take the Sikar bypass, the city is horribly time consuming to drive through.

Both the routes I drew on the map have taken me 9 hours (starting from near India Gate). Even though the distance of the Loharu route was much lesser, the traffic till Jhajjar via Bahadurgarh and bad patches in between evened out the time factor. Some fuel was saved though.
Old 25th February 2010, 00:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rewari Narnaul is not such a great road... its undivided, full of tractors and speed breakers as well as railway crossing... Just did all the roads in that area few months ago.. the only good ones are the ones connecting Loharu and Sikar and Jhunjhunu.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:40   #13
BHPian

re: Delhi - Bikaner : Route Queries

Trying to revive the discussion as I am going to travel to Ratangarh enroute to Delhi Bikaner & thus would like to check if any of the fellow BHPians would recommend specific route based on the development of roads on either Kotputli- Sikar route or via chandwaji - Sikar?

I have travelled both the routes past year and infact I preferred the route from Delhi- Jaipur-Ajmer Bypass - Sikar NH11 route to Bikaner because of its good road conditions. But i am now game to travel via Kotputli route as well if someone can confirm that the roads are in good shape.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have never taken Kotputli route. I have tried the following each way in early April:

Delhi-NH8-Chandwaji-Sikar-Bikaner: Condition of NH8 is well-known now because of widening work. The other problem is heavy traffic from Chandwaji Bye-pass all the way to Fatehpur in the daytime. The road is great otherwise but the traffic takes a toll on you.

Delhi-Gurgaon-Rewari-Mahendragarh-Loharu-Charawa-Jhunjhunu-Mandawa-Fatehpur: It is great route to avoid the mess of NH8 and you join the NH11 at Fatehpur after which the route is excellent up to Bikaner. But the biggest problem is the Jhunjhunu-Fatehpur stretch. It's really bad and can slow you down because it also narrow. I did this stretch at around 9 PM so I didn't slow down and could maintain a speed of 30 kph or so because of no traffic. But daytime it must be really bad. The other problem with this route is the chance of taking a wrong turn because it is a complex route.

Still I managed Delhi-Bikaner in about 11 hours by the second route and Bikaner Delhi in about 11 hours by the first.
Choice is yours.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Delhi-NH8-Chandwaji-Sikar-Bikaner: Condition of NH8 is well-known now because of widening work. The other problem is heavy traffic from Chandwaji Bye-pass all the way to Fatehpur in the daytime. The road is great otherwise but the traffic takes a toll on you.
True. This route is more for people who are looking for a simple route with good road comfort throughout the trip. Even the though distance travelled is highest in this route, average speed being high takes normally the same time as any other route. Those who are travelling for the first time, then this is the route to be recommended.

Quote:
Delhi-Gurgaon-Rewari-Mahendragarh-Loharu-Charawa-Jhunjhunu-Mandawa-Fatehpur: It is great route to avoid the mess of NH8 and you join the NH11 at Fatehpur after which the route is excellent up to Bikaner. But the biggest problem is the Jhunjhunu-Fatehpur stretch. It's really bad and can slow you down because it also narrow. I did this stretch at around 9 PM so I didn't slow down and could maintain a speed of 30 kph or so because of no traffic. But daytime it must be really bad. The other problem with this route is the chance of taking a wrong turn because it is a complex route.
Yes and this is my least preferred route mainly because of the two reason you already pointed out: Bad road conditions & Complex route. Infact once when i travelled through this route, it was all because of milestone's Map my India that i could travel all the way to my destination without asking anyone. Though for first timers, its possible that atleast once or twice a wrong turn is made. The distance travelled here compared to Chandwaji route is about 100 kms less, though bad roads & complex route makes the travel time almost the same. But if one gets comfortable with the route then easily 40-60 mins time can be saved.

Another Route: Delhi-->Kotputli-->Sikar-->Fatehpur-->Bikaner. I have done a couple of times & only glitch being the single lane road between Kotputli to Sikar (129 Km). Not sure if the situation of this road has worsned or improved. Distance travelled is about 50-65 Kms lesser than the Chandwaji route but the average speed is lesser here making the time taken for both route almost the same.

This is my preferred route this time mainly to enjoy the scenic beauty while driving from Kotputli to Sikar along with enjoying the typical Village Chai

So any bandhu who has treaded through Kotputli - Sikar, please pour in your experience & let know if its a good idea to travel through it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks