Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 11:16   #1
BHPian

Kanpur - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh : Route Queries

hi this trip is in planning stage,from kanpur to khajuraho to bandhavgarh n return.can anyone help me on the route details with route coditions?also how many days for khajuraho n bandhavgarh each?the route from ghatampur to hamirpur is horrible n would like to avoid that.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:40   #2
BHPian

i can see nobody knows the answers to my questions.well then can anybody guide me on nice places to stay in khajuraho n bandhavgarh.budget around 2000/ per night max.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Hi,

The roads between Bandavgarh and Khajuraho are nothing to talk about, you will face slow driving. I took a different road whcih went bypassing Rewa and via Satna on to Panna. It was a pretty road and thru some forests.

You will not need more than one day at Khajuraho, but certainly 2-3 days at Bandavgarh may be useful, if you have the time go to Kanha sanctuary also which is one day drive away.

To stay I seriously advise using the MP Tourism Hotels they are excellent and value for money. You can book them online too. Additionally the MP Tourism guys are pretty helpful if you call them on the phone.

We did this trip last year. Have fun, but be prepared for some bad roads in MP.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Try MPTDC hotels, they have online booking facility also and rates would be much less than 2000/-

As regards route...i dont know if there is any direct route from Kanpur to Khajuraho. One that i know and where road condition will be good is kanpur-allahabad-rewa-satna-bamitha-khajuraho. ALternately you can come via Kanpur - Kalpi - Orai - Jhansi - Orcha - Chatarpur - Khajuraho and include Orcha also in your journey Plan.

For Bandhavgarh you will have to go from Khajuraho to maihar and then Bandhavgarh. Try to find out Ramki's post in forum he had taken this complete MP tour recently there he has mantioned Bandhavgarh to Khajuraho route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
i can see nobody knows the answers to my questions.well then can anybody guide me on nice places to stay in khajuraho n bandhavgarh.budget around 2000/ per night max.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
hi this trip is in planning stage,from kanpur to khajuraho to bandhavgarh n return.can anyone help me on the route details with route coditions?also how many days for khajuraho n bandhavgarh each?the route from ghatampur to hamirpur is horrible n would like to avoid that.
I am not too sure about this since it has been more than 10 years I was there last. If my memory serves me right I think the route we took to Khajuraho was via Chitrakoot- not entirely sure if its the shortest one, but I remember the roads were pretty good in those days. Sorry for not being of much help, but this is all I can remember- now that I think of it, can't expect a 12-year old to remember anything more.

Last edited by doomsday : 19th February 2009 at 11:57.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

If coming in from Kanpur, I think your best option is to go via Benares-Rewa-Satna to Khajuraho. Then back to Satna-Maihar-Katni-Umaria to Tala (Bandhavgarh). There is a long thread started by someone in the travelogue section on Bandhavgarh and Khajuraho (he used a GPS) and I would suggest a prompt and immediate IM to him. The entire thread is nice but for you only this section will be relevant.

Regarding hotels - Khajuraho is full of them and you can just drive into the town and stay wherever you fancy. Just make sure your hotel has adequate water. Of late water has become a scarce item in Khajuraho due to over irrigation.

The best option in Bandhavgarh is the MPTDC owned White Tiger Lodge due to its location. I stayed in Mogli Resort which is way far from the forest gate. I would have loved to stay in the MPTDC lodge.

Please avoid the holi holidays for your trip to Bandhavgarh. The peace of the forest would be ruined by tourists - mostly from Jabbalpur.
Old 19th February 2009, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hai,

Sorry to be responding late....... was pretty tied up.

I did MP in Nov 2008 and some of the sections you're interested in; you'd find the travalogue here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...c-statues.html

I am also attaching a trip log of the sections, you'd find the distance, route and timings useful on your trip.

There is only a small section from Bandhavgarh to Satna, about 3 kms, which is bad, rest of the sections are good. As Sudipto suggested, avoid weekends and holidays, tiger sighting chances are low, go on week-days if possible and plan for at lest 4 safaris, your chance of sightings on 1-2 trips are low.

Hotel Siddarth, opp the big temple has 3-5 A/C rooms, about 1250/- per A/C double room, have a restaurant downstairs, very good, most days we ate there.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Have a nice trip,

--Ramky

======
Attached Files
File Type: xls TRIP LOG ABAD-Madhya Pradesh.xls (50.0 KB, 1007 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th February 2009 at 13:30.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:58   #8
BANNED

The shortest Kanpur-Khajuraho route is Kanpur - Ghatampur - Hamirpur - Mahoba - Khajuraho. Parts of the road used to be of tractorable quality. I am told things are better now. A friend did Kanpur - Khajuraho in about five hours in his City.

Khajuraho has a lot of places from MPDC (and lower) all the way to 5* (Chandela amongst others).
Old 20th February 2009, 21:32   #9
BHPian

thanks everybody.will enquire about the said routes and reply.
Old 20th February 2009, 23:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics from Khajuraho, Panna & Bandhavgarh

You may be interested in photographs of our road trip from Delhi to Khajuraho, Panna and Bandhavgarh...

Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India pictures from india photos on webshots
Wildlife in Madhya Pradesh, India - Bandhavgarh & Panna National Parks pictures from india photos on webshots
In general, our experience of the roads in MP was not too great - average speeds of 40 km/h are the best possible. The Mahoba-Khajuraho section was quite bad - second and third gear stretches at times - but this was Dec. 2007. From Khajuraho to Bandhavgarh, the better route is via Satna and Amrapatan. We tried a shortcut via Gunnor, Pawai, Katni and Barhi, where almost no road existed for over 50 km. Quite an experience, but I wouldn't repeat it...

Our experience with MPTDC hotels at both Khajuraho and Bandhavgarh was quite good. The White Tiger Lodge, we thought, was a tad expensive, but definitely comfortable and and served good food (the room charges include all meals). The other hotels at Bandhavgarh (private ones) are not as much VFM as WTL is.

We'd also stayed at the Clarks Khajuraho (@ 3500/room/night), but didn't find it VFM.

Hope this helps...
Old 21st February 2009, 07:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

sgiitk thanku saar.

By that logic it may actually be better/easier to drive Delhi-Kanpur- Khajuraho instead of the Gwalior route with its own pains!!

I might head that way in April.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:29   #12
BHPian

re: Kanpur - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
sgiitk thanku saar.

By that logic it may actually be better/easier to drive Delhi-Kanpur- Khajuraho instead of the Gwalior route with its own pains!!

I might head that way in April.
Did you take this route. I know its quite a while, but i am planning to take similar route this may. Was wondering which way to follow, since i am planning to start at midnight, was thinking of reaching kanpur by morning and then all day route. Also if someone advice me is it safe to travel between agra and gwalior at night (3-4 AM)
Old 26th February 2012, 12:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

@drchernish: you can have a look at my travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...t-gurgaon.html

You might find some useful information.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

We did Kanpur - Jhansi - Orcha in October last and the road is very good. Beyond Orcha, i undertand the road is decent too. Take a look at my TL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...pradesh-8.html
Old 27th February 2012, 20:14   #15
BHPian

Thanks, Both your travelogues are amazing. It took me almost the whole day to go through. I sometime forgot the purpose of looking at your travelogue. It's so addicting

Fauji, Any idea about the road condition between Orai > Rath and Joining NH 75 near harpalpur. I have to go to Anuppur, so was wondering if i take this shortcut?

gd1418: What's the road condition between satna and Bandhavgarh? Which route did you follow? Was Katni on your way or did you take Malhar to Umaria?

Most Viewed