Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 22:04   #181
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
We had to spend 4 hours to cross the 5 kms stretch!

Day1: Faridabad >> Udaipur
Stay: Hotel Paras Mahal
VT-RNS, I owe you a meal, thanks for the recommendation. Superb location for, entry and exit from Udaipur. In addition, for sight seeing this location is just perfect. This hotel should be made TBHP verified.

Other states, specially MH should learn something.
Given an option, Pune <<>> Nashik <<>> Indore <<>> Gwalior <<>> Agra <<>> Faridabad will be our preferred route.
4 hours for 5 kms is pure torture, and you are right that its a major inconvenience to families. I hope the family hasn't given up on road trips

I am glad the hotel worked out for you It feels great to contribute towards fellow BHPian's benefit. Hope to catch-up with you during a Mumbai/Pune meet-up.

Lastly, I agree with you that MH isn't the stellar state it used to be. On my recent drives to MP, UP, TS, AP, KA etc, the most disappointing has been MH's road infrastructure, despite the high tolls & taxes. Just look at Mumbai's condition (city and outskirts). Its a shame!

Lastly, on your comment on the route, I agree, that might be better given the farmer's protest. If not for that, I would recommend:
you leave Pune by 5 am, use Belapur-Thane road and then take Godhbunder road to join Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway by 9 am easily. Thereafter, the route via Udaipur/Jaipur works out much better.

Why?
Because the highway wayside amenities on the NH48 route are much better than Mumbai-Agra highway (I recently did Mumbai-Indore-Bhopal and had done Delhi-Agra-Gwalior last year)

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:22   #182
BHPian

Just finished a Delhi-Pune Run. Delhi to Udaipur. Udaipur to Vapi. Vapi to Pune.

Delhi to Udaipur: Standard nonsense till Jaipur. Due to highway closure and the protests, you'll be playing Russian roulette. Either its empty or you'll be stuck for hours and hours. The police are now permitting wrong side traffic for vehicles coming into HR so it's one lane to go, one for oncoming traffic. Trailers, Trucks, buses, tractors, donkeys and their two legged avatars. Sigh! I crossed the patch at 0645 Hours and breezed through, but it can get bad during the day.

Take the Ajmer bypass at Chandwaji straight through on to the old NH8. Its an undivided highway, if you prefer the modern divided 4 lane then go via Ajmer-Mt. Abu. Cross Nathdwara and you'll be in Udaipur. Stayed at Oasis Park, had Dinner at Natraj. Hotel was average, no food, sufficient only for a night stop. If you're with family avoid it. Paras Mahal as recommended above is a much better option. Le-Roi is also good, but noisy as its close to the station.

Lunch stop at Rupali Midway, good food, clean rest-rooms. Apart from lunch did not stop anywhere, except for loo breaks at toll plaza's if needed.

Toll-

Manesar-70
Shajahanpur-140
Daulatpura-55
Manoharpura-65
Jaipur-70
Kishangarh-45
Gegal-60
Pipalaz-55
Bagaliya-35
Baggar-40
Negadiya-135

Diesel in RJ is expensive so if you can push till GJ good Rs. 4 cheaper.

Udaipur-Vapi
Leave Udaipur and the roads are butter smooth. Freshly laid tarmac if you have a sedan, the curves can be taken at silly speeds. you can go via shymalji, modassa, lunawada, godhra, halol to Baroda Diamond Crossing, which is the state highway. Good roads but horribly patched and potholed near all village crossing. So about 20% bad 80% good. Again undivided two lane, so if that is not your cup of tea go via Ahd-NE1-Baroda.

From Baroda its a sob story, absolutely horrible conditions. Craters on the road, unruly trucks and horrible food outlets. I ended up eating chips, bread and coffee that I made in the morning on my own, due to the ridiculous places along the way. They have huge fore-courts and look really fancy, however they are dirty, and the staff is arrogant. No idea about the food. Ate at McD Vapi finally. Night halt at Ginger Vapi-standard Ginger experience, they have basement covered parking. Opt for rooms towards the creek, they are quieter.

Toll-
Khandi-150
VBTL-105
Mandva-25
Choryasi-80
Boriach-65
Bhagwada-75

Vapi-Pune

The worst section to have travelled on. Vapi to Fountain is in bad condition, you can't maintain a steady speed, badly broken all over. Truckers are really badly behaved, no decent places to stop either. Fountain is mess 30-50 minute jams. All you Mumbaikar's how do you commute? Your main roads have craters which can swallow a man, construction of metro, flyover and god knows what everywhere. No concept of no-entry trucks of all shapes and sizes entering all the time. Also no signage. I was at an underpass somewhere near a Kia showroom and it said Pune straight right at the underpass and the overpass bifurcation. GPS is useless inside the city Plus toll everywhere, who pays toll inside the city, and what scams right most lanes toll, left most lane no toll even though they merge about 500 Mts. down from the toll plaza. Absolute Rubbish. Finally got onto the expressway. I think as a reward for my frustration the expressway was empty, even Amrutanjan and Bhor were empty. Crossed in 2.5 Hours and reached Pune.

Vapi to Pune drove non-stop, only loo break at Lonvala Toll where I almost killed some fastag sellers who have no sense or brains before jumping in front of your car. Bloody morons. I finally lost it, and blasted them right there in proper Marathi and the cops at the plaza died laughing. I drive a HR registered car, the effect is profound.

All in all apart from the last 220 odd KMS I had a good experience. Be careful on the highway from Vapi to Fountain after crossing into MH, the tarmac has become slick and you can skid really easily. I saw ESP kick in twice and once felt the car skid before being saved by the electronics. It's strange because I was going at 90 KMPH and the highway was fairly dry, even though it was raining on and off, but at that point the road was dry in the driving lanes, best drive at 80 KMPH I guess and enjoy the views.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 21st September 2021 at 11:32.
shady_lawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:36   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
All you Mumbaikar's how do you commute?
Why did you enter the city when you could have bypassed it via Thane-Navi Mumbai avoiding all the tolls?
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:58   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Why did you enter the city when you could have bypassed it via Thane-Navi Mumbai avoiding all the tolls?
There is zero signage at Fountain. How difficult is to make a sign that says Pune left? Also due to the horrendous traffic, you can't switch lanes. I entered the western express highway. Finally took an illegal u-turn thanks to a kindly cop. My rant about potholes and tolls holds true for the eastern side as well. The road that goes via Thane is equally bad, and the toll I paid which I said is a scam was near Airoli. Yeesh!

I know now, left at Fountain, down the ghat road, from there its all hazy. There is a flyover complex, I missed that, ended upon below the thing where its a maze. Then that underpass/overpass near the Kia Showroom on the right. Then the scam toll booth before Airoli Bridge, then the toll on the bridge itself. I'd be grateful if you put some route guidance here for the future. Thanks.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 21st September 2021 at 12:03.
shady_lawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:08   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
There is zero signage at Fountain. How difficult is to make a sign that says Pune left? Also due to the horrendous traffic, you can't switch lanes....I'd be grateful if you put some route guidance here for the future. Thanks.
Dear God, yes please! If the regular travellers/Mumbaikars could please explain the best way to bypass Mumbai I too would be eternally grateful. Few road trips to RJ and GJ from KA and I've always, always messed up and ended up cursing passing Mumbai, and this is even with google maps! Really need to learn how to bypass the city efficiently! Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by am1m : 21st September 2021 at 12:09.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 23:27   #186

Dear Friends,

I am planning to go for a Navi Mumbai to Agra Road trip in first week of November. We are two people only. My prefered route will be Navi Mumbai--Thane--Surat--Vadodara--Halol--Godhra--Modassa--Shamlaji--udaipur--Ajmer--Jaipur--Agra. Although i have travelled this multiple times in last 3 years yet i haven't travel on this route in night.
All i want to know whether it is safe to travel in Rajasthan at night or i should avoid the same.
Old 27th September 2021, 14:06   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonwheels View Post
All i want to know whether it is safe to travel in Rajasthan at night or i should avoid the same.
Hey there,

I personally feel super safe at night on Mumbai - Delhi Highway with some caveats:
1) Baroda - Godhra - Modasa - Udaipur stretch is good road, but amenities are far & few. I personally don't prefer this route for night

2) Udaipur - Nathdwara is excellent road, but thereafter, to Beawar is two lane only, which isn't most convenient for night driving. There was a time when people actively discouraged this route for night drives (due to safety concern too) but that seems to be less of a concern now. Its more that the road is not wide enough and amenities are far & few.

3) Not sure of Jaipur-Agra stretch at night. Haven't done that route. Parents did it in day, quite liked it, but didn't advise for night drive

4) Baroda - Ahmedabad - Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Beawar is all 4 lane so doing this at night is easy, and I did it once many years ago. But nowadays, I avoid night drives in general though this route would be my pick.

My suggestion is: if you start at midnight or post-dinner, then you can reach Baroda by early morning so then the route you choose is doable. But if you time your drive such that you are entering RJ at night, then Point 4 would be my pick so that you do the JAI-Agra stretch in day light.

If you don't have to rush, its always best to avoid night driving. Risk goes up disproportionately IMHO

Cheers!

Last edited by VT-RNS : 27th September 2021 at 14:24.
VT-RNS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:45   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Hey there,

I personally feel super safe at night on Mumbai - Delhi Highway with some caveats:
=============
If you don't have to rush, its always best to avoid night driving. Risk goes up disproportionately IMHO

Cheers!
Thank you sir for your valuable inputs. Yes, I always prefer to travel in day light but i was also thinking about taking your route option 4. Thanks for your suggestions.
msonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 22:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:

I know now, left at Fountain, down the ghat road, from there its all hazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Dear God, yes please! If the regular travellers/Mumbaikars could please explain the best way to bypass Mumbai I too would be eternally grateful.
Turn left from Fountain then Ghodbunder road to Thane-Airoli-Ghansoli-Sanpada-CBD Belapur-Pune Expressway. There is one more left before Fountain that comes out in Bhiwandi but is usually in a bad shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonwheels View Post
I would suggest to avoid at all cost, especially between Shamlaji and Udaipur. I drove between Abu Road and Beawar between 2am-6am last year and wasn't confidence inspiring at all. Between Beawar and Jaipur it is safe, again post Jaipur betwen Dausa and Bharatpur is a gamble.

=====================

My parents did Mumbai Delhi last weekend via Surat-Halol-Godhra Bypass-Shamlaji-Udaipur-Nathdwara (halt)-Rajasmand-Beawar-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Dausa-mathura-YEW-Delhi.

Mumbai to Nathdwara took them 12 hrs with one break. They stayed at Marutinanadan Grand. Day-2 took them 12 hrs again to reach Delhi.
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 09:03   #190

Quote:
Turn left from Fountain then Ghodbunder road to Thane-Airoli-Ghansoli-Sanpada-CBD Belapur-Pune Expressway. There is one more left before Fountain that comes out in Bhiwandi but is usually in a bad shape.

I would suggest to avoid at all cost, especially between Shamlaji and Udaipur. I drove between Abu Road and Beawar between 2am-6am last year and wasn't confidence inspiring at all. Between Beawar and Jaipur it is safe, again post Jaipur betwen Dausa and Bharatpur is a gamble.

=====================

My parents did Mumbai Delhi last weekend via Surat-Halol-Godhra Bypass-Shamlaji-Udaipur-Nathdwara (halt)-Rajasmand-Beawar-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Dausa-mathura-YEW-Delhi.

Mumbai to Nathdwara took them 12 hrs with one break. They stayed at Marutinanadan Grand. Day-2 took them 12 hrs again to reach Delhi.
Hi there,

Thank you for your suggestion and now i am thinking to do this run in daylight only.
Thank you very much.
Old 4th October 2021, 20:47   #191
BHPian

I will be travelling to Delhi this weekend from Pune with my family (Wife and two kids). We will be doing journey only in day time so we will have to take two night stays.

On day one, we will be stopping in Surat at my relative's place. On day two, I am planning to stay in Rajasmand. Can someone please suggest a decent/good hotel stay in Rajasmand?

Other query -
Can I move further to Bhilwara and stay there? If yes, please suggest hotel options there. How are the road conditions from Rajasmand to Bhilwara? Is it safe to travel on this route in evening?

Three years back, I have done below route from Pune to Delhi and return.
PUNE--MUMBAI--VADODARA--GODHRA--MODASSA--SHAMLAJI--UDAIPUR--BEAWAR--AJMER--JAIPUR--GGN--DELHI

Thanks.
Old 4th October 2021, 22:33   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
On day two, I am planning to stay in Rajasmand. Can someone please suggest a decent/good hotel stay in Rajasmand?

How are the road conditions from Rajasmand to Bhilwara? Is it safe to travel on this route in evening?
Why not stay at Nathdwara? You can consider the Marutinandan which is bang on the highway. Roads are superb 4-laned once you turn right from Rajasmand towards Bhilwara, just beware of cows. Bhilwara to Kishangarh was full of diversions this time last year, also this route is preferred by trucks so you will see more trucks as compared to traditional NH-48 route. Safe travels.
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:32   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Dear God, yes please! If the regular travellers/Mumbaikars could please explain the best way to bypass Mumbai I too would be eternally grateful.
Not a Mumbaikar, but I have always followed the 'Shilphata' route. Just add this as a stop on Google Maps. This takes you directly to Thane West (Ghodbunder Road). However, you will still have to deal with Fountain Traffic.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:04   #194
BHPian

Guys, can I get some help.

I need to do a Pune-Gurugram-Pune drive in the next couple of weeks. My planned outward drive is Pune-Udaipur-Gurugram with a night halt at Udaipur. 2-nights and a day in Gurugram.

The return journey would be Gurugram-Jaipur-Ahmedabad-Pune with night halts at Jaipur and Ahmedabad. This is now, not the ideal.

Could I get some help on the fastest highways/expressways to cover this distance with minimal challenges. Honestly, any help on the fastest routes and road conditions would be helpful.
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:23   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
I need to do a Pune-Gurugram-Pune drive in the next couple of weeks. My planned outward drive is Pune-Udaipur-Gurugram with a night halt at Udaipur. 2-nights and a day in Gurugram.
Based on the updates from this thread, and from what I hear from friends, there is no major change in road conditions, i.e., all good.

Pune - Udaipur on Day 1 will be ~900 kms, and the stretch from Pune to Baroda (assuming you take Halol-Godhra route to Udaipur) will be fairly busy.
The next day, from Udaipur to Gurgaon, even with a late start of 8 am, you can reach Gurgaon by 5 pm with ease (assuming no traffic jam at HR/RJ border due to farmer protests).
My concerns is the 900 kms Pune-Udaipur. If you have done such long 16 hour drives before, sure, go for it, but it might be taxing, esp if you hit Mumbai outskirts traffic.
As a back-up, while you can keep your initial target of Udaipur; if you face a lot of traffic, then instead of marching ahead at night, take rest at Modasa (150 kms before Udaipur). I am not a fan of driving that stretch after it gets dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
The return journey would be Gurugram-Jaipur-Ahmedabad-Pune with night halts at Jaipur and Ahmedabad. This is now, not the ideal.
For the return, unless there is a specific reason for you to stop in Jaipur, I would do Gurgaon - Ahmedabad in 1 day and rest on outskirts of Ahmedabad , which allows for Ahmedabad - Pune to be done on Day 2 with ease. Some points to explain:
1) Gurgaon to Ahmedabad is 900 kms again, but this time, you are driving on 6 lane highway (till Beawar) and then 4 lane via Pali-Sirohi-Abu Road-Palanpur-Ahmedabad ring road. This stretch is not as busy as Pune-Mumbai-Baroda, thus average speeds are higher and overall less stressful drive. Plus, I find this stretch safe & easy to drive even after its dark, as its busy enough to feel secure without adding to driving stress.

2) If you leave from Ahmedabad outer by 7 am (or latest 8 am), you could still reach Fountain junction and enter Godhbandar road by 3 pm or 4 pm, which then allows you to cross Thane & Navi Mumbai before the massive traffic piles up.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Last edited by VT-RNS : 2nd November 2021 at 12:41.
VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed