Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 17:31   #46
BHPian

Delhi Ahmedabad Mumbai Route Queries

I tried searching for appropriate recent thread but did not find much so here it goes.

I will be driving from Delhi to Ahmedabad and then to Mumbai in a few days.

Ahmedabad to Mumbai is pretty much straight forward. My main query is with reference to the Delhi Ahmedabad drive. Is Via Udaipur still the best route?

Google shows Sirohi-Palanpur route to be quicker one. How are the roads here and how are the facilities like places to eat with clean rest rooms?

Edit: Mods please merge with appropriate thread if needed.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th December 2018 at 17:59. Reason: Please take time to search for an appropriate thread before you open a new thread for such a common topic!
Old 11th December 2018, 03:15   #47
BHPian

Re: Delhi Ahmedabad Mumbai Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I tried searching for appropriate recent thread but did not find much so here it goes.

Ahmedabad to Mumbai is pretty much straight forward. My main query is with reference to the Delhi Ahmedabad drive. Is Via Udaipur still the best route?

Google shows Sirohi-Palanpur route to be quicker one. How are the roads here and how are the facilities like places to eat with clean rest rooms?
This is what I have been doing from the past 2 years:

Day 1: Delhi-Udaipur. Leave early in the morning at 6am, reach Udaipur by 4-4:30pm.

Day 2: Udaipur-Delhi. Start from Udaipur at 6am, refuel at the BP pump just when you re-join the highway. Reach Mumbai by 5:00pm.

Delhi to Ahmedabad will be too long a stretch unless you are prepared to drive 13 to 14/have some work in Ahmedabad.

Route: Delhi-Jaipur Bypass-Ajmer(Bypass)-Beawar-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modassa-Godhra-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.

I am leaving on the 24th from Agra for Mumbai, will be taking the same route.

Last edited by sinharishi : 11th December 2018 at 03:17.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 07:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
This is what I have been doing from the past 2 years:
I am leaving on the 24th from Agra for Mumbai, will be taking the same route.
Thank you, I will take the Udaipur route then. My query was mainly on the road status and actual itinerary is a bit different.

I will start after work and drive till Jaipur on Day 1, on day 2 continue till Ahmedabad and spend 2 days there with friends. And continue to Mumbai after that.

Last edited by avingodb : 11th December 2018 at 07:47.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:20   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is Via Udaipur still the best route?
Quote:
Thank you, I will take the Udaipur route then. My query was mainly on the road status and actual itinerary is a bit different.

I will start after work and drive till Jaipur on Day 1, on day 2 continue till Ahmedabad and spend 2 days there with friends. And continue to Mumbai after that.
NO, you should not take Udaipur route unless you have some work.

Quote:
Correct, this is the right route, Jaipur-Ajmer-Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad.

Roads are mostly 6 lanes till Beawar and thereafter 4 lanes and very good. Facilities beyond Beawar are ok, good places to eat near to Beawar, Sirohi, Abu Road & Palanpur and there are multiple Reliance company-owned petrol pumps on the way.

Absolutely no issues to travel at any time, I regularly pass through this stretch Sirohi- Beawar well past Midnight, travelling alone
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Thank you, I will take the Udaipur route then. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
NO, you should not take Udaipur route unless you have some work.
You should not take Udaipur route unless you are planning to bypass Ahmedabad by Shamlaji-Godhra-Baroda route. Currently, road construction work is going on at Udaipur-Shamlaji road. It is advisable to avoid Udaipur route.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 21:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Currently, road construction work is going on at Udaipur-Shamlaji road. It is advisable to avoid Udaipur route.
Can you tell more? I will be driving thru Udaipur onto Mumbai later this month. I will be coming in from Agra. If Udaipur-Shamlaji stretch is not in a good shape, I will have to re-work my route plans. Versova bridge just before Mumbai is also undergoing repairs. I might as well take the Agra-Nasik-Mumbai route then.
Old 13th December 2018, 22:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
You should not
Quote:
Correct, this is the right route, Jaipur-Ajmer-Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad.
Quote:
Can you tell more?
I learnt from another friend as well about this repair going on on the RJ GJ border on the Udaipur road. So that does add up. I will indeed take the Beawar-Sirohi route.
Old 25th December 2018, 00:18   #53
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries

Took Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad route today. For me, the Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modassa route still remains the best after trying the following options:

1. Delhi-Beawar-Rajasmand-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modassa-Godhra-Surat-Mumbai.
2. Delhi-Beawar-Rajasmand-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.
3. Delhi-Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedadbad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.

The Palanpur road only makes sense if you have a planned stop at Ahmedabad. It is long, your progress slows down once you enter Gujarat. The road passes through some busy towns, huge no. of trucks just make things worse. The Shamlaji-Modassa-Godhra in comparison sees very less truck traffic. There are quite a few unmarked speed breakers on the Palanpur route. Crossing Ahmedabad is no less than a nightmare!

It took us some 930 kms to drive to Ahmedabad which took 16 hours. On the return I will stick to the Modassa-Udaipur route bypassing Ahmedabad.
sinharishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:47   #54
BHPian

I also took the Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad route. Palanpur to Ahmedabad was quite slow and tiring. I will take the same route back and hopefully, with early morning start will be able to avoid the rush.
Old 7th January 2019, 20:55   #55
BHPian

Route: Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Beawar-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.
Total Kms driven: 1,719.
Toll Amount: 1,845/-
Date of Travel: 22-25 Dec.

Delhi-Agra (Day 1): Took YEW to NH-19, towards transport nagar to Dayalbagh. Speed limit on the YEW has been revised to 75 kmph for couple of months due to the fog. On NH-19 crossing Yamuna is still a hassle as one flyover is still under construction.
Travel time: 3 hours.

Agra-Jaipur-Beawar-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad (Day 2): Took NH-21 to Jaipur, the road is just superb, 4 lane throughout. So much better than Delhi-Jaipur. Encountered very thick fog, started at 5:45am, reached Jaipur at 10:30am. Tried the Beawar-Sirohi-Palanpur route for the first time. The roads are excellent till you enter Gujarat. The roads ahead are good but too much local traffic. There are just too many trucks on this route. We made good progress till Palanpur, post that, it was a pain till Ahmedabad. Will not take this route unless I have to visit Ahmedabad.
Travel time: 16 hours.

Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai (Day 3): Took NE-1 to Vadodra. The drive was very smooth till Vasai Bridge. From Vasai bridge to Dahisar took 1 hour 30 mins!
Travel time: 8 hours.

Route: Mumbai-Surat-Vadodra-Kalol-Modassa Bypass-Shamlaji-Udaipur-Nathdwara-Rajasmand-Beawar-Kishangarh-Jaipur Bypass-Gurgaon-Delhi.
Total Kms driven: 1,420.
Toll Amount: 1,160/-
Date of Travel: 5-6 Jan.

Mumbai-Udaipur (Day 1): Till Vadodra it is 6-laned except for a few kms around Surat. Smooth 4 laned roads from vadodra till Shamlaji, just too many speed breakers. No tolls on this stretch between Vadodra and Shamlaji for private cars, the rule applies to all SH in Gujurat. Shamlaji-Udaipur is undergoing road widening work, just too many diversions with many unmarked speed breakers. Got delayed by 30 mins due to an accident involving a truck. There was heavy truck traffic between Shamlaji and Udaipur.
Travel time: 12 hours.

Udaipur-Delhi (Day 2): Superb 4-laned roads till Rajasmand, from Rajasmand to Beawar is 2-laned. The 2-laned stretch was the best part of the drive. Beawar to Gurgaon is 6-laned. The road condition is pathetic between Bawal and Manesar, there are 3 flyovers which are in very bad condition, the 3rd lane is drivable still. The fast lane between Jaipur and Delhi remains to be uneven, has quite a few potholes. Jaipur to Home took 7 hours! Passed by 6 interceptors between Kishangarh and Behror.
Travel time: 12 hours.

Food halts:
  • Hotel Hivayking between Jaipur and Ajmer.
  • Hotel Namaste Midway near Sirohi.
  • Tea break at Food Court on NE-1.
  • Food Hub, Manor.
  • Jalaram Kathyavadi just before MH-GJ border(towards Delhi).
  • Honest, Modassa Bypass.
  • Hotel Midway, 70 kms short of Jaipur.

Stay:
  • Ginger, Ahmedabad.
  • Zade Mount View, Udaipur.
sinharishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:59   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
reached Jaipur at 10:30am. Tried the Beawar-Sirohi-Palanpur route for the first time. The roads are excellent till you enter Gujarat. The roads ahead are good but too much local traffic. There are just too many trucks on this route. We made good progress till Palanpur, post that, it was a pain till Ahmedabad. Will not take this route unless I have to visit Ahmedabad.

Udaipur-Delhi (Day 2): Superb 4-laned roads till Rajasmand, from Rajasmand to Beawar is 2-laned. The 2-laned stretch was the best part of the drive.
Palanpur-Ahmedabad can be tricky depending on the time of travel, maybe it was evening. Will you still use the Udaipur route given the construction work?

And on the return, did you not got speed breakers and diversions on Rajasmand- Beawar route? I crossed it once in late evening and there were many breakers and full beams from oncoming traffic didn't helped either. Apparently this road was to be 4 laned but developer has left midway or is not pursuing construction, even though its still Tolled road. I understand there is a new 6 lane highway immediately after Nathdwara to Bhilwara that will connect to Kishangarh. That can be a better option probably.
Old 7th January 2019, 22:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Palanpur-Ahmedabad can be tricky depending on the time of travel, maybe it was evening. Will you still use the Udaipur route given the construction work?

And on the return, did you not got speed breakers and diversions on Rajasmand- Beawar route? I crossed it once in late evening and there were many breakers and full beams from oncoming traffic didn't helped either. Apparently this road was to be 4 laned but developer has left midway or is not pursuing construction, even though its still Tolled road. I understand there is a new 6 lane highway immediately after Nathdwara to Bhilwara that will connect to Kishangarh. That can be a better option probably.
Yes, we crossed Palanpur in the evening. I would still stick to the Udaipur route. It took us an hour extra as compared to the usual time. Plus, Udaipur is midway to Mumbai, suits us better than Ahmedabad.

The Rajasmand-Beawar 2-laned highway is just superb, we crossed it before 12 noon. There are quite a few speed breakers, but all are marked. The road widening work is going on for a few kms but the main highway is untouched unlike the Shamlaji-Udaipur stretch.

We took the Nathdwara-Bhilwara during our previous trip to Mumbai in Oct 2017. The road condition was superb till Bhilwara, but from Bhilwara to Kishangarh we encountered 2 problems - one was the heavy truck traffic and the no. of potholes. There were some big craters, we took 30 mins more to reach kishangarh as compared to Rajasmand route.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 23:40   #58
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Took Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedabad route today. For me, the Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modassa route still remains the best after trying the following options:

1. Delhi-Beawar-Rajasmand-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modassa-Godhra-Surat-Mumbai.
2. Delhi-Beawar-Rajasmand-Nathdwara-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.
3. Delhi-Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Ahmedadbad-Vadodra-Surat-Mumbai.

The Palanpur road only makes sense if you have a planned stop at Ahmedabad. It is long, your progress slows down once you enter Gujarat. The road passes through some busy towns, huge no. of trucks just make things worse. The Shamlaji-Modassa-Godhra in comparison sees very less truck traffic. There are quite a few unmarked speed breakers on the Palanpur route. Crossing Ahmedabad is no less than a nightmare!

It took us some 930 kms to drive to Ahmedabad which took 16 hours. On the return I will stick to the Modassa-Udaipur route bypassing Ahmedabad.
Quote:

I think I'll finalize this route-
route-

Mumbai- Vadodara- Godhra- Smalaji- Udaipur (halt)- Rajsamand- Bhilwara- Kishengarh- Jaipur- Rewari- Rohtak- Panipat- Chandigarh.

Final course corrections if any will be welcome.
Old 11th April 2019, 20:11   #59
BHPian

I have done this route many times. Roads are good. Go ahead and enjoy the trip.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:41   #60
ais
BHPian

The route is bad as compared to the one I took last time- Nasik- Indore (halt), Ajmer- Jaipur- Rewari- Panipat- Chamdigarh. This was in Feb 2015.

Mumbai to Vadodara was heavy traffic and very small stretch ahead of Surat that had good tarmac. After Godhra was good again till Samalji. Samalji to Udaipur was road construction, so really bad. Rewari Rohtak Panipat road has deteriorated and not worth it anymore. I took that route because on the overbridges before the left turn to Rewari from Jaipur Delhi highway, the suface had been washed off (so no tarmac, only craters). Next time I will take the new road from Kishengarh to Chandigarh direct through Haryana.

Most Viewed